The Super Robot anime Mirai Robo Daltanious aired in 1979. Although Art Director Tadao Nagahama was on the crew, this show was not part of his famous Robot Romance Trilogy. In fact, this was actually his last work before his death.
In the then far off year of 1995, Earth has been conquered by the evil Zaar race. With all of Earths cities reduced to ruins, humans have been living in smaller shantytowns and villages. One day, war orphan Kento, his friend Danji and a few others stumble on the secret base of one Dr. Earl. Originally from Helios, a planet conquered by the Zaar, Dr. Earl has with him the Humongous Mecha Daltanious, composed of the humanoid robot Atlaus, the sentient lion robot Beralios, and the spaceship Gunper. With Kento controlling Atlaus and Danji flying Gunper, Daltanious takes charge against the aliens.
On December 14, 2020, Discotek Media revealed they gained the rights to the anime and will be releasing the series stateside in 2021.
This show features Examples of:
- After the End: The series is set in a Bad Future where Earth has been taken over by an Alien Invasion and cities have been left in ruins.
- Animal Mecha: Beralios, a gigantic robotic lion.
- Arm Cannon: Daltanious' Cannon Cubic, Atlaus' Gatling Flasher.
- Big Bad: Emperor Dolmen
- Big Good: Dr. Earl of Helios.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Atlaus's Shredder Punch.
- By the Power of Grayskull!: "Cross In!"
- Call on Me: Beralios always comes to Kento when its name is called, no matter where he is.
- Cloning Blues: Kloppen is a clone of Prince Harin and Dolmen is a clone of Emperor Palmillion
- Doppelgänger Gets Same Sentiment: Played for Horror and even enforced: as Kloppen explains, clones in Helios are forced to endure the same injuries that their originals suffered to keep them exactly the same, except when the injuries are life-threatening in which case the clone's organs are given to the original. One example we see on screen is Prince Harin falling off his horse and getting broken bones when he was a kid. Kloppen was immediately tortured to have the same injuries. No wonder Kloppen went crazy.
- Chest Blaster: Sigma Beam and Chodenji Eraser
- Cool Sword: Tran Saber
- Combining Mecha: A humanoid robot, a robot lion and a spacecraft.
- Dancing Theme: The ending theme, "Kento Otokogi."
- The Dragon: General Kloppen
- Finishing Move: Kaen Jimonji Giri and Kaen Attack Kaen Jimonji Giri
- Hot-Blooded Sideburns: On Kenta and Danji.
- Human Aliens: Dr. Earl and the people of planet Helios.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Harin is Kento's father.
- "On the Next Episode of..." Catch-Phrase: "Cross In!"
- Panthera Awesome: Beralios the giant robot lion.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The heroes are a bunch of quirky kids who lost their parents in the Zaar invasion, with Kento being the Team Dad.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Kenta is implusive and emotional while Danji is more calm and calculating.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Daltanious, Daltanias, Dartanias, Daltanius...
- Starfish Aliens: Zaar general Mizuka is a jellyfish-like alien in a jar mounted on top of a robot body.
- Transformation Name Announcement: "Daltaaaanious!"