It received a sequel in 2009, The Pink Panther 2.
This film provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: Clive Owen plays 006. Clouseau asks him if he wasn't good enough to be 007. Clive Owen was at one point considered for the role of James Bond.
- Animated Credits Opening: Directed by Bob Kurtz at Kurtz and Friends. And it's a good one, too!
- The Pink Panther 2 also features one by Imaginary Forces.
- Bilingual Bonus: Anyone who understands Cantonese will find out that the old Chinese lady is basically asking Clouseau why she's being interrogated and that she's busy and has other things to do. Clouseau somehow believes she tells him to look for soccer trainers for their knowledge of poisons.
- Chekhov's Gun: A Rule of Three variant occurs in The Pink Panther 2: Clouseau's parking ticket assignment from Dreyfus which he uses to identify Sonia's car:Clouseau: Today I was staring at Miss Solandres' license plate. I recognized it because of my... unique system of cross-referencing. I became aware that I had given a parking ticket to the same car, two days before Miss Solandres claimed she arrived in Paris... one day before the Pink Panther was stolen.
Clouseau: I knew the Tornado would eventually come after the Pink Panther, so I went to the museé with a simple plan in mind. I had convinced my old friend, Robert the night guard, to turn off the security system for the few moments necessary to save the most beautiful object in France. I then switched the Pink Panther with the replica I had at home. [He takes the real Pink Panther out of its case] This is the real Pink Panther. It was the fake that was stolen.
- The replica of the Pink Panther diamond that he showed to Ponton's sons, which he plants in the museum as bait for the Tornado.
- And the Medal of Honor which blocks a bullet.
- Chekhov's Skill: Dreyfus dismisses the fact that the coroner's report mentions Bizu was killed with a perfect shot to the occipital lobe; Yuri learned this while in the Russian army as part of his training and used it to kill Bizu.
- Comically Missing the Point:Dreyfus: Well, this is a glorious day for France.Clouseau: How so, Chief Inspector?Dreyfus: Because a stupid idiot named Clouseau is going to be stripped of his rank while I take over his case.Clouseau: You have a second man named Clouseau?
- Continuity Reboot: Set in an entirely new era and timeline, with no connections to the previous films.
- Conveniently Timed Distraction: While chasing the assassin who tried to kill Xania, Clouseau and Ponton decides to split up to cut off the assassin. When Ponton catches up to the assassin and holds the assassin at gunpoint, Clouseau catches up and accidentally slams a door open in front of Ponton, knocking him down. While Clouseau checks to see if Ponton is okay, the assassin resumes running away.
- Crazy-Prepared: Clouseau figures out that the killer will strike again at the Presidential Palace, and just so happens to have a bag in his deserted office marked "Presidential Palace" with everything he could possibly need to break in undetected. This includes a body suit for both him, and his assistant, with different camouflage on the front and back identical to the wallpaper and drapes (respectively) found in the palace.
- Hypocritical Humor:Nicole: Would you like me to stay behind and help you?Clouseau: That is a generous offer, Nicole. But I am quite sensitive to office gender politics. And in today's world, the slightest gesture can be misinterpreted as harassment. And it is late, and I would prefer not to put you or me into that delicate situation. Agreed?Nicole: Yes, I agree.Clouseau [kisses Nicole]: Well, lets seal it with a kiss. And I'll get back to work.[A moment later, Clouseau casually slaps Nicole on her butt as she leaves]
Italian Reporter: Mr. Pepperidge, was the Dream Team asleep when the theft occurred?Pepperidge: No comment.Italian Reporter: Do you think they will recover the ring?Pepperidge: If I gave a comment, when I said "no comment", I would look like a complete ass, wouldn't I?
- From The Pink Panther 2:
- Kansas City Shuffle: In The Pink Panther 2, Clouseau uses this as bait to catch the Tornado; ultimately revealed to be Sonia Solandres when the Pink Panther diamond appears to be destroyed after Clouseau bluffs Sonia into shooting it into dust, Clouseau has the real Pink Panther brought out, which he switched with the replica in a Bait-and-Switch setup in anticipation of the Tornado.Clouseau: You are under arrest!Sonia: Let me go, or I will destroy it. [Sonia takes a gun and what she believes to be the Pink Panther from her purse]Dreyfus: Let her go.Clouseau: Let her do it.Dreyfus: Are you insane?[Sonia takes her gun, throws what she believes to be the Pink Panther into the air, and blows it to smithereens; Dreyfus is livid]Dreyfus: You moron! You twerp! You sad excuse for a human being! You have just destroyed the sacred symbol of France!Clouseau: Ponton, did you bring what I asked for? Boys... [Louis and Antoine bring the Pink Panther's case, containing the real Pink Panther]Clouseau: I knew the Tornado would eventually come after the Pink Panther, so I went to the museé with a simple plan in mind. I had convinced my old friend, Robert the night guard, to turn off the security system for the few moments necessary to save the most beautiful object in France. I then switched the Pink Panther with the replica I had at home. [Clouseau takes the real Pink Panther from the case] This is the real Pink Panther. It was the fake that was stolen.Dreyfus[muttering to himself]: Nightmare, nightmare.Clouseau: And when the Tornado, an expert on the quality of gems, wrote in his supposed suicide note of its great beauty, I knew he could never have been the thief; he would have recognized it as a fake.
- Literal-Minded: Do not enter room when red light is flashing. Clouseau hastily enters when light switches. Entire interaction with Yuri the trainer who trains.
- Logo Joke: We see Leo the Lion roaring the MGM logo as usual... and then the logo opens up like a door and we see the animated Clouseau, who looks around for a second, then walks off, revealing that the Pink Panther is behind him. The Panther gives the audience a smirk and slams the "door", and we see a very confused-looking Leo.
- Mythology Gag: During the Animated Credits Opening, the Pink Panther dresses as a conductor and begins to conduct an offscreen orchestra. He did the very same thing in the title sequence of the original 1963 film.
- The Animated Credits Opening begins with the Pink Panther dancing under a spotlight, just like the title sequence of The Return of the Pink Panther.
- Naked People Are Funny: At one point during the Animated Credits Opening, we see the Pink Panther enter a room wearing a police uniform like Clouseau's. Once the Panther exits, Clouseau enters... and realizes that he's naked and covers himself.
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent: In contrast to Herbert Lom, a Czechoslovakian-born emigrant to Britain, John Cleese's accent as Dreyfus in The Pink Panther 2 is strongly British, which is exceptionally ironic, given the historical rivalries between Britain and France. Hilarity Ensues when Cleese's Dreyfus tries to say the Override Command "hamburger" with his British accent in The Pink Panther 2, only for Steve Martin's imitation French mispronunciation of "hamburger" to successfully call off the security forces.
- Product Placement: As Clouseau tries a hamburger for the first time and falls in love with the taste, the McDonald's logo is very prominently featured behind him.
- Running Gag: Clouseau's accent, his disguises in the later films, Cato's attacks and the subsequent fights, Dreyfus' murder attempts and his eye twitch, and the Non-Fatal Explosions.
- Running Gag: With Clouseau and Ponton:Clouseau: Without warning, I will attack you. In this way, I will keep you vigilant and alert.[Clouseau attacks Ponton, but Ponton hits him back]Clouseau: Good one.Ponton: Thank you.
- Sherlock Scan: Played for Laughs in The Pink Panther 2 between Clouseau and Pepperidge:Pepperidge: Gentlemen, we first have to determine how the crime was committed. And as I am an expert at deduction...Clouseau: You are an expert at deduction?Pepperidge: That is my field.Clouseau: I believe deduction is my field, and since you are experiencing hip pain...Pepperidge: How did you know that?Clouseau: One side of the sole of your shoe is more worn than the other; you're favoring your right leg.Pepperidge: Tell me, did you enjoy your double espresso this morning?Clouseau: How did you...Pepperidge: Your pupils are noticeably dilated.Clouseau: And will you be moving out of the Hotel Montmartre? They are doing construction at night around the Montmartre so as not to disturb daytime traffic. From your puffy eyes, I deduce you spent a sleepless night.Pepperidge: Speaking of traffic, are you enjoying your Smart car? Your trousers are wrinkled behind the knees.Clouseau: And how do you think your favorite football team, Arsenal, will do this year? That matchbox is from the only bar in Paris that shows English football telecasts.Pepperidge: You have tissues in your shoes to make you look taller.Clouseau: You were finally 14 before you finally learned to enjoy avocado.Pepperidge: Tell me, how did you enjoy your trip to the airport this morning?Clouseau: Now, how did you know that? [the airport stamp on Clouseau's hand is visible to everyone]Ponton: Perhaps one of you should begin.Clouseau: Yes, this is silly.Pepperidge: You've recently lost your favorite cheese grater.Clouseau: You have an aversion to cow bells!
- Vincenzo brings an end to this when he discovers a piece of broken glass with fingerprints on it.