Kingdom From the Ashes, Rise is a Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V AU story, written by Azure_witch13 and Green Phantom Queen. And if the latter author sounds familiar, then you might know another fanfic she's well known for (Green Phantom Queen herself stated that the former was inspired by her fanfic).
Just like that fanfic, the catalyst of the story starts in the fateful duel between Yuto and Yugo. Yuya watches in horror as both are determined to destroy each other, with both of their dragons ready to strike. All he wants is for this to stop...
And, surprisingly, it does.
But not before Yuya finds a dark voice and shadows comforting him, and as Yuya falls unconscious, he whispers one word:
It turns out that Yuya, Yuto, Yugo and Yuri are the sons of the Supreme Dragon King, Zarc whose soul has been split and is carried within the souls of his sons. Zarc is not pleased with the state of affairs though: Professor Akaba and his tireless pursuit to revive Ray, his sons separated and not knowing of their past selves, Ray Akaba's presence in Yuzu and her counterparts...
Fans will get a unique twist on an AU where Zarc is the father of the Yu-boys, the Bracelet Girls gaining much more prominent roles and, as the authors proclaim, "awesome and badass Yoko" to see how Zarc decides to end Professor Akaba's scheme and become resurrected as the true Supreme King that he is.
And just for fun, this page also contains the various horror tropes Yoko observes in the entire story.
This story contains examples of the following Tropes. Beware of Unmarked Spoilers:
- Action Mom: Yoko Sakaki decides to join in the fight against Academia by fighting off Obelisk Force soldiers with her bare hands.
- Adaptation Expansion: The story expands on the mythos of the Yu-Gi-Oh! series and adds more than what was explained in the original anime.
- Makoto and Ken — the two Ryozanpaku students who dueled Yuya in the Battle Royale — are revealed to be carded instead of just vanishing into thin air.
- Serena and Yuzu share a talk about who created Duel Monsters in the first place and the creation of the Duel Disk, something that was never mentioned in the anime.
- Adaptational Sexuality:
- Yuto is said to have feelings only for Ruri, whereas this fic shows that he's quite...possessive of Shun also.
- Likewise there are hints of Shun having feelings for Sayaka Sasayama. Instead he's shown to be having a crush on Yuto.
- Adaptation Personality Change:
- Those who read Mors Omnibus will recall that Black Mirror Xyz Dragon was mostly there to show that Yugo could Xyz summon. In this story, he's given a playful personality akin to a puppy, and Green Phantom Queen states that he's like a little brother who idolizes Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon.
- Yoko was shown to be very supportive of her husband disappearing like that. Upon learning the Awful Truth, she's shown to be very outraged for her husband's stupidity. She also is shown to have a love of horror shows which wasn't present in the anime.
- Serena is shown to be quite Adorkable upon watching Wonder Woman and experiencing a slumber party for the first time.
- Ascended Extra: Yoko Sakaki's original role for the show was mostly contained in being the supportive mother for Yuya, whether it be through words or by getting on a motorcycle to knock some sense into him. Here, she learns about Zarc's nature much earlier than expected, becomes the mother figure for Yuto, Yugo and Yuri, and even interfere with the Battle Royale from beating up Obelisk Force soldiers to saving Serena and Yuzu from being attacked by Yuri.
- Awesome by Analysis: Yoko's love of horror tropes makes it easy for her to spot something wrong in regards to Yuya, Yuto and Yugo early on.
- The dreams Yuri receives in Chapter 5 (Part 2) play out this way. The first one has him climb a tree and fall to the ground, expecting that he hurts his arm but he is instead saved by Zarc. The second one has him alone in his room, crying his eyes out before it shows a younger Yugo entering it to comfort him.
- In Chapter 8, Part 1, Yuya wakes up to a scream and rushes downstairs to see his mom surrounded by three bikers. Turns out that these bikers are people Yoko asked to help create a kidnapping scenario for Yugo so he can experience an Action Duel and the bikers (Raphael, Alister and Valon) are his former babysitters.
- Beware the Nice Ones:
- Yuya is described as very sweet and kind and caring...but pissing him off is essentially a death sentence. This is best shown in the flashback of Chapter 8 Pt 2: young 6-year-old Yuya (back when he was Zarc's son) ran to a carnival and wanted to impress its ringmaster with his magic. Turns out that the ringmaster wanted to use him as part of a trafficking service and Yuya burned him alive while putting an illusion that looked like he was performing.
- Yuzu herself is a girl who wants to spread Action Dueling as a way to bring people together...Shingo and his goons learn the hard way that hurting Serena is one way to piss her off.
- Big Damn Heroes: Yoko saves Yuzu and Serena before the two get attacked by Yuri and Starving Venom Fusion Dragon.
- Big "NO!": Yuya, Yuto and Yugo shout this twice when Yoko suggests Yuya introducing his new "brothers" to Sora and Yuzu.
- Break the Haughty: Chapter 5 (Part 2) has Zarc turn the smug Himika into a whimpering mess once he reveals his draconic form and has her spill the beans in regards to Reiji's plans of the Lancer Division and Yusho's disappearance.
- Breather Episode: Chapter 7 (Part 1) is a light-hearted affair after the previous chapter showed Yuri close to a mental breakdown.
- Did Not Think This Through: Yoko and Zarc come to the agreement that all Akabas suffer from short-sightedness but Reiji stands out the most — his plan to let Yusho go to the Fusion Dimension also meant that he never sent backup nor tell Yoko nor Yuya about what Yusho was going through.
- Draconic Humanoid: Yuya and his brothers are dragons and can take on draconic features (claws, reptilian eyes and tails) if they get significantly pissed off.
- Empathic Environment: Whenever one of the boys gets angry, the weather reflects it. If it's Yuto, thunder and lightning flash. If it's Yugo, a howling wind blows.
- Fainting: Mieru does this upon seeing Yuto tell Shun — after they had just gone through a very lustful make-out session — that they would "play later".
- Flower in Her Hair: Gender flipped example; Yuri has a dream of a younger version of him having a younger Yugo place a pink lily in his hair. When he wakes up, he sees that he also has that same lily tucked in.
- Freak Out!: Yuri, having gone through a slow breakdown due to having dreams of his past life and sensing emotions of love and comfort, not to mention having his counterparts not get angry at him and are instead pitying him, snaps during his duel with Yuya. In particular, he goes as far as to strangle Performapal Empyrean Magician (a monster based off of Zarc and one that Zarc is actually speaking through) because he can't take the idea of kindness and love when all he's been given is hatred and loneliness all his life.
- For Want of a Nail: Zarc appearing much earlier than usual causes a lot of changes in the story.
- First off, the duel between Yugo and Yuto ends because he interferes and commands their dragons to stop. Not only that, but they also regain their memories of being brothers and become clear-headed to realize that it was Yuri who kidnapped Rin and Ruri, not each other. Yuya then takes his brothers home, leading to...
- Yoko Sakaki learning about Yuto and Yugo and becomes a mother for the two of them. She also learns of Zarc's presence, that Yusho Sakaki was in Heartland for three years, learns from Himika that it's Reiji's fault for Yusho leaving, is the one who rescues Serena and Yuzu from Yuri — thus Yuri is not teleported back to Academia and Yugo can confront him — and is even the one who finds out about Dennis's true colors before the Friendship Cup happens.
- Yuto's presence means that he confronts Serena about Academia's true nature earlier on, instead of waiting until Yuzu meets up with her. Because of this, she doesn't have any antagonism over Dennis, nor does she duel him and she is the one who warns Yuzu about what's going on.
- Shun wins his duel against Sora by summoning a different Raidraptor monster (Raidraptor - Revolution Falcon - Airraid). Consequently, upon seeing Yuya and Yuto's "Berserk Modes" and their Odd-Eyes Raging Dragon, Sora decides to book it instead of wanting to face their wrath, sparing Hikage.
- Hope Is Scary: Yuri hates Zarc and his brothers giving him the idea that he has a loving family because he's too afraid to hope that it's real. Thankfully Zarc is able to reach out to Yuri, making him remember his past life.
- I Call It "Vera": Yoko's bike is called Ningyo, which is the Japanese equivalent of a mermaid.
- In Love with Your Carnage: Shun's...reaction to seeing Yuya and Yuto's dual Berserk Modes is to beg Yuto to make out with him...while Yuya, Gongenzaka, Mieru are watching.
- In the Hood: Zarc appears to Serena dressed as Performapal Empyrean Magician (who is Zarc but with a silver hooded cloak). Yuya's "Dragon Mage" monsters are essentially him and his brothers in hooded cloaks (The author notes state that the latter was based on Empyrean Magician).
- Mama Bear: Hurt her sons and you mess with Yoko. She even is willing to stand up to Zarc to protect them.
- Meaningful Echo: Yuri's dream in Chapter 5 (Part 2) has a younger him and Yugo apologizing with Yugo giving Yuri a pink lily all while stating that he was "very stupid and mean and didn't mean it" and Yuri replying with a simple "I know". Before Yugo and Yuri drive home in Chapter 6 (Part 2) the roles are reversed with Yuri giving Yugo the pink lily and apologizing and Yugo replying, "I know".
- Master of Illusion: Yuya's specialty. He mostly uses it to let Zarc have a semblance to a normal body again.
- Moment Killer: Chapter 5 (Part 2) has Yuto making out with Shun in Reiji's security room...before Serena interrupts with a "WHAT THE FUCK?!" at the intimate scene.
- My God, What Have I Done?:
- Yuri starts breaking down in tears once he remembers his past life and that he has taken Yuto and Yugo's "treasures" (significant loved ones) to be sacrificed for Professor Akaba's scheme to resurrect Ray.
- Serena also feels this way when she realizes that she carded an innocent victim (Hokuto Shijima) upon learning of Academia's true colors.
- Mythology Gag: Plenty. This is a story based on the Yu-Gi-Oh! series that celebrated the animes before it.
- In Chapter 8 Part 1, Serena begins to retell various rumors of Academia ranging from Shadow Hunters, Dark Magician Girl on Spirit Day, a hero in a silver trenchcoat and dragon mask and more which are references to the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX. Dragon Vassal of the Colorless Void — heavily implied to be Jesse Andersen — starts listing all of the crazy stuff to Seto, Mokuba and Joey about all of the shit that happened in the first three seasons.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Yoko loves anything of the horror genre, to the point that she's developed awareness of all the tropes in play.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Yuzu, Michiyo and Teppei dueled three members of Obelisk Force all by themselves.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Yugo is known for having a huge appetite whenever he eats any of Yoko's cooking. But in Chapter 5 (Part 2), he's shown eating slowly and is quiet the entire time since he's upset of his brothers getting more attention to their problems in contrast with Zarc doing nothing to save Rin.
- Or Was It a Dream?: The end of Chapter 5 (Part 2) has Yuri in a dream/memory of him with his family and young Yugo placing a pink lily in his hair. When Yuri wakes up, he places a hand on his head to find the pink lily there.
- Papa Wolf: Harming his sons in any way, shape or form will incur Zarc's wrath. Himika learned this the hard way when Zarc learns about how she set Yuya up for attacking Shingo (when it was really Yuto doing it).
- Reality Ensues:
- If your husband is gone for three years on an interdimensional crusade, there is no way for him to be making money. Yoko realizes this when she's about to buy gifts for her sons and comes to a conclusion that Reiji has been secretly giving money to her bank account as an apology.
- Rule of Three: Yoko's reasonings as to why she's not going to upload her recording of Dennis talking to Yuri.
- 1: Only a few people would understand the talk between the two.
- 2: Yuri's resemblance to Yuya will just make people question why "Yuya" is talking to Dennis.
- 3: Uploading the video might paint her or her sons as a target.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Sora leaves the Battle Royale early upon seeing Yuya and Yuto summon Odd-Eyes Raging Dragon against Obelisk Force.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Seto and Joey's relationship is described as this: they constantly bicker before they make out in forgiveness to the point that Zarc wonders if it's some kind of kink for the two.
- Spared by the Adaptation:
- Zarc's intervention prevents Yuto from biting the dust early on.
- Sora leaving early during the Battle Royale means Hikage never gets carded. Likewise, Teppei and Michiyo are also alive.
- Wham Line: Chapter 7, Part 3: While seeing Yuto console Shun, Zarc has to deal with two of his "subjects" bickering with one another. The scene ends with Zarc stating their names:Zarc: You know, Seto, it's amazing to see Joey being the rational one.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: In their duel, Yuri offers up Seed Cannon (which has 2 counters, each one inflicts 500 points of damage) to strike Yuya...but it drops his lifepoints down to 200. Yuya even questions why Yuri didn't summon another Plant monster to make it 3 then offer up Seed Cannon. Yuri replies that he'd rather have his Starving Venom Fusion Dragon go into battle and land the striking blow instead.
- You Called Me "X"; It Must Be Serious: Yuya calling Gongenzaka by his full name when he's pissed off at sensing his brother's emotions, is what causes Gongenzaka to note that something is wrong.
Horror tropes pointed out by Yoko include:
- Corrupt the Cutie: Yoko observing Serena and Yuzu dueling Obelisk Force — particularly Serena's new Fusion monster, Blood Moon Fusion Dragon — has her worried that Zarc is going to be doing this to Serena.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Zarc is a master of shadows but in comparison to Professor Akaba, he's seen as the lesser of two evils. However, that doesn't necessarily mean he's 100% good either.
- Demonic Possession: With Zarc able to possess Yuya, Yoko questions if Yuya is fully aware of what Zarc is doing or if he just goes unconscious whenever Zarc takes over. Zarc answers that it's the former.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: En suddenly barking at Yuya in the second chapter is what gets Yoko suspicious since, any dog that suddenly starts barking at someone they know/empty space usually means a dark presence. This later escalates to all the other animals howling and hissing at Zarc and his sons.
- Speak in Unison: Upon hearing Yuya, Yuto and Yugo chant "Reunite", combined with Glowing Eyes of Doom, is what convinces Yoko that something is clearly wrong with her sons.
- Twin Telepathy: Yoko notices how Yuya and Yugo reach out in concern for Yuto almost immediately...except that this 'twin' part can't work if Yugo and Yuto all come from different dimensions.