Super High School Level Theoretical ChemistWhile science isnt usually thought of as being a field for the especially imaginative individual, Akihiko Murakami has gone well out of his way to bust that particular stereotype. A chemistry prodigy from a young age, his interests always lied primarily within the realm of what could be and what future advancements might bring. While his major breakthrough is considered to be a chemical structure for a new drug intended to manage multiple symptoms of Parkinsons Disease, replacing the battery of drugs usually required for it, he also manages a blog breaking down the more abstract aspects of chemistry into simple, easy-to-understand terms, making a writing topic that would otherwise be fairly niche into a popular study aid for high schoolers and college students. He's the first student to die, killed by a giant kraken at Monobear's command for refusing to accept the mutual killing.
- Kraken and Leviathan: His death is caused by a giant kraken rising from the sea.
- Nerds Are Sexy: Ooh Mr Murakami ooh.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Coffee.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: He is the very first victim of the mutual killing game, killed by Monobear for refusing to believe anyone will participate.
Super High School Level Knitter
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Hadar Simcha.
- Arranged Marriage: With Hadar Simcha.
- Girly Girl: Her talent is knitting, which is a traditionally feminine skill.
- I Can't Feel My Legs: Walks exceptionally slowly and occasionally weirdly.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Only time will tell. Answer....sort of.
- Meaningful Name: 'Bina Meier' translates roughly into 'enlightened knowledge'.
- Mercy Kill: Seems to have killed Wire partially to spare him the death that the others might have planned for him.
- Nice Girl: Has a 'motherly personality'.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Eventually proves this to be so.
- Omniglot: Sort of. Bina speaks Hebrew, Arabic, English, and Japanese, all in various forms of fluency.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches her hips.
- True Blue Femininity: Blue is her favorite color and her main color accessory for clothes.
Super High School Level Sitarist
- Birds of a Feather: He and Najwa are close, partially because of their feelings of feeling different from everyone else.
- Fan Nickname: Has inspired quite a few. DMDR, DDR, Dr. Pepper, Durarara, Damodara Dimmadome (Owner of the Damodaradale Dimmadome)...
- The Faceless: What does he look like behind the screen?
Super High School Level Dishware Designer
- Ear Ache: One of his ears was sliced at, as found during the investigation of his injuries.
Super High School Level Cycle Courier
- Big Eater: To keep up with the high caloric demands of cycling, he can really put away food like no one's business.
- Cavalier Competitor: Even if he should lose at a race or something, he's more likely to congratulate and praise the winner rather than being salty about it.
- Hot-Blooded: Especially when it comes to riding bicycles.
- Pointless Bandaid: Possibly.
- Tragic Keepsake: Najwa gives him her sweater before she dies.
- Turn the Other Cheek: Despite dealing with rude clientele, he never holds a grudge against them and treats them with kindness regardless.
Super High School Level Koi Fish Breeder
- Mismatched Eyes: One of his pupils is larger than the other.
- Nice Guy: Several characters have commented on this particular trait of his. He even pretended to be angry at the end of the fourth trial so that Malachi would get the reaction he wanted.
- Nice Hat: A toque with a puffball.
Super High School Level Architectural Photographer
- Curtains Match The Windows
- Gold Digger: Faked a romantic relationship with Monobear in order to extract more information from their captor. It brings... mixed results.
- Hair Decorations: A couple of barrettes that seem to match their hair color.
- Love Cannot Overcome: Despite being betrothed to Monobear, Itsuki is permitted to be executed without so much as a fight by the robot (though he does remark that he doesn't make the rules — he just follows them).
- Odd Friendship: With Malachi.
- Robbing the Dead: They take a few things off of Janet's body after she dies.
- Somebody Set Up Us the Bomb: Is executed by being trapped in a building that was set on fire by some mysterious people.
- The Quiet One: According to some of their trial posts, they don't like to talk very much. And their posts lend to that too.
- You Never Did That for Me: Cruelly informs Monobear that they were never really in love with him before being executed. In fact, they seem almost amused by the fact that the bear was dim enough to believe that they could ever have affection towards him.
Janet Lynn Kiwako Hamasaki
Super High School Level WindsurferAmerican-born Janet Lynn has never known a life without the ocean, and the frequent beachgoers of Nagoya have never seen the waters of Ise Bay without her in it. From the age of thirteen, Janet has been heavily dedicated to the difficult sport of freestyle windsurfing. Regulars to the shoreline would often see this young girl coming to the bay day-in and day-out like clockwork, slowly growing from a clumsy novice to a graceful yet powerful wave dancer. In the years since, shes been the recipient of many medals in local, national, and even international level competitions. Her rise to fame, however, has never climbed nearly as quickly as her collection of awards. The sport of windsurfing isnt as popular as it once was, but thats never stopped crowds of beachgoers, locals and tourists alike, from watching her elaborate maneuvers in awe. Over the years, shes become something of a local attraction for the area, yet few have ever been close enough to see her face, and fewer still have bothered to learn her name. Indeed, if it hadnt been for the digging of a vacationing Hopes Peak recruiter, Janet Lynn would have remained on the edge of obscurity. She's executed right before the second motive is given, shoved off the roof of a higher deck and dying from the impact of the fall. According for Monobear, it was for "sneaking around places [she] wasn't meant to be".
- Last-Name Basis: While Japanese refer to each other by family names, Janet does this without the use of honorifics. Even for fellow foreigners.
- Odd Friendship: With Julia's overzealous girl (+ Yuu) squad.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Has a soft spot for felines.
- Meaningful Name: Janet Lynn is a real person and a talented Olympic athlete.
- I Have Many Names: She has two legal names, Janet Lynn and Kiwako Hamasaki.
- Joggers Find Death: Janet and Yuu were on a morning jog when they were the first to find Hayate's body.
- Desecrating the Dead: Her body is used by Monobear as a landing cushion after she fell to her death and considered her execution to be "taking out the trash."
Julia C. Akston Claire Taggart
Super High School Level Financier
Reports on the identity of this financier are mixed — with some saying that J. Akston is a tall blond-haired boy who speaks very mangled Japanese; a middle-aged white man with a strange beard and a smoking problem; a little girl with an infectious smile.
Given the cut-throat nature of business — and how people treat those with a lot of money — its clear that this effort towards privacy is very deliberate. Murders Damodara Chaudhary in chapter five with the assistance of Renjiro Mikami, but is never punished for her crime. Ultimately survives the Mutual Killing game.
- After-Action Patch-Up: Is bandaged up by Koharu after getting punched in the face by Ryo during the first trial.
- Dwindling Party: At least one of her friends has died every chapter since chapter 2.
- Ethical Slut: Her moral-based philosophy embraces pleasure in all aspects of life, and tends to glorify sex. Julia has no problems with this, though she might prefer the term "Business slut."◊
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Well, Julia certainly loves Julia!
- Gay Conservative: More or less.
- Gibbering Genius: Talks almost non-stop during trials, with most of the words seeming to be stream of consciousness garbage. Every so often she'll hit a reasoned point, however — for better or for worse.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: If by gold you mean literal gold.
- Karma Houdini: Murders Damodara during the fifth trial, but is not found throughout the rest of the game. Those she informs of her murder are largely forgiving of her actions, allowing her to survive the game of mutual killing.
- Meaningful Name: Shares a last name with Hugh Akston, John Galt's mentor and father figure in Atlas Shrugged. In reality, she shares a last name with Dagny Taggart, the polarized and conflicted female heroine in Atlas Shrugged.
- Morality Chain: For Koharu Amashiro. Was revealed that if Julia ever died, Koharu would have murdered again to attempt a killer victory.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: To those she invests in and people in the business world, she is known only as J. Akston. Made doubly true with her birth name being revealed to be Claire, rather than Julia.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: With Koharu Amashiro.
- Teen Genius: A stock-market tycoon with a handful of private investments in businesses run by who she calls "great men." Don't get her flustered, though.
- Tender Tears: She is. Absolutely. Always. Crying.
Super High School Level Underwear Maker
- Only Known by Their Nickname: She even introduces herself as Knight☆deNight.
Super High School Level Mahjong Player
- The Ace: In her backstory.
- Her Girlfriends Muscle Tee: Once wore one of Julia's terrible shirts.
- Karma Houdini: Murders Rie during the sixth trial, but is not found throughout the rest of the game. Despite the distrust she inspires with the rest of the students, she ultimately survives the game of Mutual Killing.
- Pink Means Feminine: Her outfit is pink and gray, though predominantly gray. She also has pink streaks in her hair.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: With Julia Akston.
- Serious Business: Mahjong.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Towards Julia Akston.
Lucian Ravenholme Yuuki Kobayashi
Super High School Level Vampire EnthusiastHailing from Brașov, Romania, Lucian Ravenholme is a well known sensation among the gothic subculture. From abchanchu to zaolas, he has been putting his extensive knowledge of all things vampire to good use. He has written and published several books, including a first edition of an encyclopedia of vampire myths from around the world. He has a dedicated fanbase who follow his work, and has developed a reputation of being more than a little eccentric. This eccentricity fits the taste of his particular field of interest quite nicely, but it has raised the eyebrow of many a concerned elder. Is the culprit of the seventh trial — and the first culprit since trial 3's to be found during his own trial. He is executed gruesomely in a scene that eventually ends in his decapitation.
- Nice Guy: The kid's a total sweetheart!
- Perky Goth: The most adorable, perkiest goth.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He is a vampire, after all.
- Woobie: Losing Najwa and being degraded by everyone for his eager theories during the trials that he truly believes in can lead to this view being taken of him.
Super High School Level Exorcist
- Conspicuous Gloves: He never takes them off.
- Odd Friendship: With Itsuki Hanazawa.
- Perpetual Smiler: Even during his execution.
Super High School Level Guitarist
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Only time will tell. Ultimately subverted — attempts to kill Renjiro Mikami in Chapter 8.
- Stage Names: "Yukito".
Super High School Level Indie RPG Dev
- Astonishingly Appropriate Appearance: For a horror game developer.
- Blinding Bangs: They hang right over his eyes.
- Kubrick Stare: His smiling pose has him leaning forward and performing this expression. It's very unsettling.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Online, he's known as "kurumu".
- Slasher Smile: He has a particularly creepy one.
Najwa El Gariani
Super High School Level Luxury Chocolatier
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Most likely the cause of her attraction to WIRE.
- Ambiguously Brown: Few people know exactly where she's from, and she prefers to keep it that way.
- Boyfriend Bluff: Pulls this with WIRE during the second trial to make her lie more believable.
- Conspicuous Gloves: Stylish, but not always practical for chocolate-making.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: She wakes up in a warzone and ends up riddled with hundreds of bullets.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Najwa's hair is as black as her eyes are.
- Foreign Cuss Word: She has a tendency to curse in Arabic.
- Girly Girl: Loves fashion, makeup, and art.
- Proper Tights With Skirt: Najwa doesn't often show a lot of skin, though she isn't entirely against it.
- Silent Scapegoat: She directs the focus of the second trial onto herself in order to protect WIRE, who was under fire at the time.
- Teen Genius: She's very knowledgeable about food chemistry and the properties of the ingredients she uses, and takes extra science classes in school to strengthen this knowledge.
- The Fashionista: She dresses entirely in designer clothes, and is very protective of them.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Deviled eggs.
- Verbal Tic: Often finishes her sentences with "naam" or "tayeb".
Naoise Oe / Kieran Whelan
Super High School Level Shepherd
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Tasered, stabbed with a dart multiple times, and then dumped off the edge of the sea.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Blue hair, blue eyes! Though their hair is actually a wig, their real hair color is blonde.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Only time will tell. While they murdered anybody in the game proper, their backstory involved unintentionally murdering one of their classmates, and they are in general a very distrustful person.
- The Gadfly: An unintentional example. Except not, they do it on purpose.
- Nice Hoodie: One with cat ears! Actually they're wolf ears.
- The Cutie: Very small and cute in appearance.
- Pungeon Master: Sheep Puns, what else?
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: A pale blue shade. Except it's actually a blonde shade.
Super High School Level Butler
- Artificial Limbs: Turns out to be missing a leg.
- Conspicuous Gloves: From her blog, "Shes not hiding anything; she just likes them because they fit her Aesthetic."
- Friendless Background: Her first friend was the head butler in the mansion, and even he is more of a father figure.
- Girls Are Really Scared of Horror Movies: Especially gory ones.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: She avoids any heavy cursing, since she finds it to be unprofessional. She doesn't comment if others do, though.
- Hime Cut: She keeps hers tied up in a ponytail, however.
- Not So Stoic: Several moments in game have had her nervous or panicking, and she apparently struggles to keep her cool very often.
- Odd Friendship: With Julia and her overzealous girl (+ Yuu) squad.
- Petite Pride: Not exactly proud, but she finds it more convenient. Less weight to move around with.
- Statuesque Stunner: She stands at 5'9''.
- The Butler Did It: Inverted. She is killed in the fourth chapter.
- The Quiet One: She tends not to speak much unless shes spoken to first.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Anything minty.
- Turn the Other Cheek: Even if she genuinely hates someone, she still treats them with respect and kindness; she feels that's what she should do as a butler.
Super High School Level Prosthetic Makeup ArtistA fan of horror as long as they can remember, Rei Mikami was the child with an innate fascination with all things dark, the type to stay up late watching the creepiest of films behind their hands. Enamored with the classic monster films that set the bar for modern film, they began to try and mimic what they saw with things around the house. Whilst not very effective at first, their techniques began to improve and Rei began to get some attention by posting the end results online. They made their big break in Stake Night, a low budget cult horror film, renowned for its gore and effects, which was originally predicted to be a flop. Upon opening night viewers found themselves terrified by the effects they saw, quickly garnering mass attention and even unsettling rumours the effects werent really fake. It caught the eye of several producers and of Hopes Peak. Survives the mutual killing game without incident.
Renjiro Mikami Jiro Mikami
Super High School Level Dispatch Worker
- Blood Knight: A downplayed version. He's genuinely disappointed when he couldn't fight Ryo during the first trial.
- Let Me At Them!: He tries to fight Ryo during the trial, but is let down when Ichigo restrains them.
- Mismatched Eyes: He has heterochromia - one eye is brown, and the other is green.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Tea.
- Tragic Keepsake: Following the third motive, he wears a scarf that Najwa apparently gave to him.
Super High School Level Natural Graffiti Artist
- Les Yay: Rie kisses Najwa's cheek just before the latter is taken for execution.
- Multicolored Hair: Hers seems to be dark red with blonde streaks.
- In the third chapter, it changes to a chest-length white braid with pink and purple streaks.
- Pet the Dog: Gives Najwa her hoodie, hugs her and tells her how much she'll miss her before Najwa is executed.
- Secret Identity: Known to the people of Matsudo as "The Phantom" until she made the decision to reveal herself.
Super High School Level Pet ChefReserved and somewhat rough around the edges, Ryo Morinaga is certainly a far cry from what many would expect to see from a pet chef. Still, despite their somewhat off-putting appearances, no one can doubt that the young teen has a deep knowledge of the nutrition of all of Japans popular pets and the cooking skill needed to make delicious foods for them and quite possibly the most important: an undying adoration for those animals and more.
Although they manage their own delivery service for Japan and have a Youtube channel dedicated to the discussion and education of pet nutrition, theres not much else known about the youth. Pet owners who have spoken to them face-to-face would describe as a little unsettling and kind of scary, but they speak of them with admiration and affectionately refer to them as the stray cat . Still, they also note that Ryo keep a constantly guarded exterior at all times and prefers to keep it that way. They're the first culprit, having killed Hayate Narabayashi. They're exposed in trial, and subsequently executed.
- Cats Are Mean: The cat they save in their execution is what ultimately kills Ryo.
- Family Business: A restaurant that has lasted generations.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: No in-game examples yet, but they've had plenty of Pet the Dog moments — literally!
- Supreme Chef: They actually cook, and not just pet food. Pretty good at it, too!
- Talk to the Fist: They run across the courtroom and punch Julia in the face to shut her up.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Spicy food.
- Wild Hair: More thick than unkempt, though.
Super High School Level Medical Journalist Toxicologist
- Eyes Always Shut: Many of his sprites portray this.
- Innocent Flower Girl: He has a deep fascination with plants and flowers, particularly his "pet" hyacinth.
- Major Injury Underreaction: He doesn't seem especially bothered after breaking his arm. Although this is not entirely unexpected since he is used to breaking down.
- Older Than They Look: Somewhat subverted. Shuichi actually IS 16 years old like he claims, so he technically fits the bill. In reality, he looks his supposed age because he dresses down to exaggerate his youthful appearance.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: Through the process of many upgrades. Also the result of Personality Chip
- Soap Opera Disease: Shuichi frequently suffers from the effects of his old, faulty software. He claims there is no way for it to be resolved.
- The Medic: Somewhat. He's not an actual medic, but he seems to have the most medical knowledge in the class, which also seemed to prove a bit useful during the first trial.
- Robotic Reveal: Subverted. Despite his malfunctioning, Shuichi encounters an incredible lucky streak during the course of the game- ultimately singling him out as the only student among the entire class whose humanity is not questioned.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Super High School Level Onnagata
- Bishōnen: He tries to use this to his advantage in both his personal and professional lives.
- Break the Cutie: He's been through a LOT so far.
- Fanservice: His kimono drapes off of his shoulders, and he is a very handsome man.
- Hair Decorations: A red ornamental kushi.
- Handsome Lech: Very fond of flirting with lovely ladies.
- The Cassandra: Constantly produces damning evidence against likely culprits, but his aggressive and emotional manner of attacking his suspects leads to him getting shut down by other members of the cast.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Sushi.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: When he's on-stage, since "Onnagata" means a male kabuki actor who specializes in playing female roles.
- Joggers Find Death: Janet and Yuu were on a morning jog when they were the first to find Hayate's body.
Super High School Level Club DJWith a big name and a personality to match, ロボットWIRE started out relatively small. A keen interest in modern music and how mixing works grew into a basic music channel on websites like YouTube and Nico Nico Douga. Though he didnt have many viewers to start with, he continued on making remixes and even some original musical pieces. It wasnt until he released a song he titled 人間の皮膚でロボット, or A Robot in Human Skin that his audience began to grow. Soon after his audience hit one million, he was contacted by a well-known dance club asking for him to DJ for them. He quickly accepted, and that began his time of bouncing from club to club, playing music that got the crowd up and dancing; his appearances in clubs springboarded him into signing a contract with a music company and preparing for tour. It wasnt long after his second tour was completed that Hopes Peak scouted him, inviting him to join them as the SHSL Club DJ. He is the third victim, frozen to death by Bina Meier.
- An Arm and a Leg: Though this occurs before the story begins, it is a plot point. He is not missing an entire arm, though, just part of his hand.
- Antagonist in Mourning: Following the second trial...sort of.
- [[Artificial Limbs: His leg and a few of his fingers.]]
- Jerkass: He comes across as this in many of his interactions with people.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: With others, he displays this behavior.
- Just Friends: With Najwa, despite her lie in his trial.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Although he managed to avoid execution thanks to Najwa's intervention, he lost the only person he seems to care about.
- And the very next week, he is the next victim.
- Nice Hat: Sports a snapback, fitting his profession.
- No Mouth: Never takes his mask off. It makes a brief appearance during his body discovery.