- A Crown of Stars: In chapter 74:
:<<"Private Rokubungi, front and center!">>
- Advice and Trust:
- In chapter 6, Shinji and Hikari ask who the Fourth Child is:
- At the very end of that chapter:
Gendo [to Shinji and Asuka]: As of this moment, you are no longer Evangelion Pilots. Leave.
- After closing the chapter the author asked:
I promised you a Wham Line, kids. How's that one?
- Rei's discussion with Kaworu after Asuka's birthday party has a rare case where Arc Words are used in this manner.
You are just like me.
- In chapter 9, there's a pretty big reveal about Kaworu:
Kaworu: [to Rei] I have met Shinji Ikari before. Loved him. I think. I have seen myself die a hundred times, usually by his hand. I think.
- Chapter 10:
Gendo: Then you will do as you are ordered. Or I will separate you and the Second Child permanently.
- All Guardsmen Party: At the end of Tyranid Delivery Experts when meeting the Ordo Xenos
'But the charge at the top of the list will almost certainly be aiding and abetting the Rogue Inquisitor colloquially known as "Oak"'
- Higher Learning:
- In chapter 34:
Kaoru: Tell me… how's your hand doing?
- During the final arc:
Kaji: You love your parents that much, do you?
Kaoru: Actually, they're my grandparents.
- The One I Love Is:
Misato:"I don't want to die... because... because... I'm... I'm pregnant..."
- The Writing On The Wall features one when the eponymous writing on the wall is finally deciphered, even more so if the reader is familiar with a certain proposal for a building in real life. The Ending Changes Everything indeed.
This is not a place of honor. No great deed is commemorated here. Nothing of value is here.
- In The Dark Lords Ascendant, a third story in a trilogy of Ranma ½ and Sailor Moon fics known as the Dark Lord saga, Ranma arrives to Juuban to dissuade the Sailor Senshi from thinking that he and the Wrecking Crew are trans-dimensional conquerors (long story, read the first fic to understand where this is going). Of course, this is Ranma we're talking about and the universe seems to hate him for no damn reason, so it goes as well as you think. By this we mean explosions, misunderstandings, and chaos galore. And after the dust settles, Sailor Moon utters these words which shoots down everything Ranma tried to prevent. She's not listing to another word from him, and another fight with the Senshi was now inevitable:
"Are you still going to try and tell us that you aren't mind-controlling these girls into your being your servants, Ranma?"
- And another Wham Line, this time spoken by Ranma after discovering what the Outside-Context Villains of the story are really after.
"A guy like you? He wouldn't just want a way to stop
Sailor Moon from using her power. He'd want a way to steal
- And there is a big one in the dialog of the first climax chapter, where we learn what Unit Zero, the thing that has bene stealing Sailor Moon's power through out the story, really is.
With a loud
clank, the capsule doors locked into position, now fully open. Then, out from the shadows of its interior, Unit Zero stepped into view. Her face was cast into harsh highlight by the orange glow from all the tanks lining the walls, but her features were nonetheless unmistakable. Because they matched Sailor Moon's exactly.
- DOOM: Repercussions of Evil: "No, John. You are the demons."
- RE-TAKE: "You are an Angel."
- Nobody Dies: "More than there were before."note
- The Second Try:
- It pulls a nasty twist at the end of Chapter 5:
Shinji:"We had a child."
- Another smaller one occurs in the middle of chapter 3, marking the first divergence unplanned by Shinji and Asuka, when Hikari, out of concern for Toji, asks him about his absence at lunch, leading him to tell her about him being chosen as Fourth Children.
Toji:"I... I... I managed to get a better medical treatment for my sister."
Hikari:"But- That's great! What did you do for that?"
Toji:"Nothing much. Just sold my soul..."
- Kaworu's last line to Asuka, implying that he was responsible for the entire Peggy Sue Plot.
Kaworu: As you wish... Mrs Ikari.
- After Third Impact is avoided, we get a rather heartwarming one when Asuka walks into Rei's apartment.
Asuka:"What is it you wanted me to see?"
- Forward: "Inducer One-One-Nine. (...) Kathryn Wade. Katie."
- Mass Vexations: "You don't fucking understand! I knew she was going to fucking die since I fucking arrived on the fucking Citadel!"
- Tiberium Wars: "You can call me LEGION."
- Fuck The Jesus Beam: " Are you kidding me, girl? I've been in stasis for over a HUNDRED MILLION YEARS. If anyone threatens my domain, they -will- die. But first, I shall reclaim it."
O.B.A.M.A.: You, You're..."
- Relationships Series: "I think...you need to break up with Wendi and Nove, now."
- Renegade: "You can't kill the Messiah."
- My Immortal: "Very well [...] Butt we cannot do this. We can’t close the school. There is only one person who is capable of killing Voldemort and she is in the school. And her name is…………………………………………………………………..Enony Dark’ness Dementia Raven Way."
- Shadowjack Watches Sailor Moon has several of these:
Usagi: "I think it's unnatural and wrong!"
Usagi /is forced to realize that she is helpless and alone with a psychopath, and starts to cry. "No… please, no…"
- The recap for episodes 117-123:
Mistress 9: "And then there was NINE."
- The Fragility of Time has one in Chapter 34, where Rubeus finally crosses the Moral Event Horizon by murdering Mimete for inadvertently destroying the daimon machine.
Laughing, Galaxia regarded her opponent. "Oh, I am sure you don't want to join me. Rarely does your kind want to, but they have no choice. You see before this day is over you will be executing the rest the council here and then I think I'll have you kill your own child. After all, I am sure that he is still alive here somewhere and who better to be able to find him than his own mother." Galaxia replied with a wicked smile.
- And then the Star Seed is taken by someone else...
- In Derelict, Lieutenant Mackie figures out what the SD Nyarlathotep is trying to accomplish after forty-five missions of complete mystery.
- Kyon: Big Damn Hero: "Not half as monstrous as that thing you're trying to kiss."
- Last Child of Krypton: In episode 2:
Kaji: Neat trick with the plane. We need to talk. Now stay calm. I'll keep them distracted.
- Unnatural Selection': "Net soufflant le feu lézard... ''fire puffing lizard''
- Pokemon XD^3: The Waves of Truth: It becomes pretty clear early on that Chapter 21 is a Wham Episode, but you can literally feel the trajectory of the entire story change the moment the doctor tells Rich that Anabel just miscarried twins that he didn't know about.
- Light and Dark The Adventures of Dark Yagami: Chapter 6:
: "THAT'S WHERE YOUR
WRONG MY SHINY HAIRED APPRENTICE. YOU SEE I ONLY PRETENDED TO BE YOUR SHINIGAMI BUT IN FACT I WAS L'S ALL ALONG
. I GAVE HIM A LIFE NOTE AND ALL I HAVE TO DO IS WRITE L'S NAME IN IT AND HE WILL COME BACK TO LIFE AS GOOD AS NEW AND YOUR PLANS WILL HAVE BIN FOILLED!"
- Chapter 14, after Dark finds some familiar age/sex/location information on a Talk to Dead Dudes Note.
Dark: "r u l lol?"
- MGLN Crisis Chapter 25:
Fate: "I'm sorry, I can't. Mother, did you know you had a split personality disorder?"
- Half Life Hero Beggining: "Combines leave my son alone" John Freeman said.
Gordon Freeman: John Freeman you let next boss step on me and made me headcrab zombie. Combines came and put science in me and made me live and strong and big now. I make you and Henry Freeman headcrab zombies. Prepair to die.
- The Coraline fanfic Right Beside You has two WHAM lines:
- Chapter 9: "Yes Coraline, I am the boy's father."
- Chapter 12: "… No, Richard. I'm not satisfied… at all."
- TDWT Reducks Redux: "It is within my power to remove you from the position of host."
- From the Homestuck/Problem Sleuth crossover The Sapphire of Alternia:
- Chapter 15: But the realization you’re actually having is that this case is just like all your other cases: a quarrel between a married couple.
- Chapter 24: The Sapphire of Alternia is the White King’s Scepter.
- A crossover story between Code Geass and Mobile Suit Gundam 00 on the Anime Addventure features this Geass command by Rai on Setsuna for an experiment: "Setsuna F. Seiei, I command you to believe in God!"
- Dragon Age: The Crown of Thorns:
Raonar: Ladies and gentlemen… I have just made the Archdemon smarter, and if it was not self-aware before, it definitely is now.
- Avatars II: When Qwaritch Takes Revenge In the third installment, when Quaritch hears about the Navi harem. ("His(sic) room on your left is the Navi harem.")
- Thanks Kyubey: "...Good. It looks like our experiment was a success."
- Hunting The Unicorn, chapter eleven:
Blaine: ...I'm not a virgin.
- And in the twentieth chapter:
Having a rough patch, Tom
- Soul Chess: "Aizen! Kill yourself!"
- When There Was A Tomorrow: We're given the line "For now simply know that your prior feelings when we first met were understandable and I do not think poorly of you for them." Now, what makes this apparent Character Development laden line so surprising? Legion is the one saying it! What makes it even Whammier is that when Tali points out this change in behavior Legion insists it's not calling itself "I" and seems genuinely unaware that it's doing so. The exact significance of this line has yet to be seen, however.
- With Strings Attached has two:
- “The biggest thing is that there really isn't a curse on Ketafa.”
- “It's all been a real game, hasn't it.”
- Death Note fanfic Xanatos starts off with L reconsidering his method of catching Kira, and so striking a deal with Rem. We're made to believe that she went along with his plan after L fakes his own death, but then chapter nine gave us this:
Still, maybe she [Rem] was wrong about L...maybe she shouldn't have killed him...
- Harry Potter fanfic Pretending to Live has the main Original Character drop this one on a sixteen year old Tom Riddle:
I can help you...with your Horcruxes.
- Two in rapid succession at the end of Stars Above Chapter 4:
"Neither of us killed it... you did."
- The Pony POV Series:
- From "Turn The Other Flank", when we first meet Loneliness. It's even more shocking because it's completely unexpected and comes out of nowhere for both Twilight and the audience.
Loneliness: GET OUT!!!
Applejack: AH AIN'T SAY YA LYIN'! YA ARE A LIE!
- Generation Transitions Part 3: After seeing the end G3. We suddenly cut to Twilight Sparkle reading the Apocalyptic Log written by Razzaroo.
Twilight Sparkle: H-how ... How did you get this book-?! Who are you anyway?! Who are you really-?! Hey! You can't just walk away! Answer me! Stop!
- From "Broken Pearl Necklace", revealing that Fluttercruel was basically born Discorded, something not even Discord seemed to have realized.
Fluttercruel: Huh? Why...why did my colors get brighter?
: She'll come back to you when she's ready. You're all going to have to simply wait. If any of you besides Discord come before then, you'll face the Tarot of the Queen of Cups
- From "Beating Up Discord" Dark World!Discord implying there's far more to what's going on than the heroes believed.
- "All Things in Twilight" has two relating to the Nameless Passenger's identity.
- First, when Twilight deduces it:
"There's only one pony with so much brains and still be so arrogant and narrow minded! Twilight Sparkle!"
- Then, when she reveals herself to the group:
Apple Pie: Half-Light, who…who is she?
- From "Give A Reason", Nightmare Paradox revealing just how long the "Groundhog Day" Loop has been happening.
Nightmare Paradox: It's genuinely hard to say now. I suppose if you were to lay the iterations end-to-end... it'd total a few hundred million years.
- Another one comes a little earlier revealing, Paradox is truly Twilight's potential future self. Interesting in that its both a Call Back to Discorded Ponies and one line split between two characters to show how they're the same person.
Nightmare Paradox: I remember wondering if these were the lessons Celestia had intended for us to learn-
Twilight: -and wondered why our coat was turning gray.
- From "A Fading Future" (not the Recursive Fanfiction though it's basically the same thing) when the "Groundhog Day" Loop began.
- "All My Friends Are Here": when Nightmare Paradox reveals one of her trump cards:
- From "Bright Eyes part 6": "I am the first born son of Fear and Nothingness." The eldest son of the draconequi, the concept of total freedom through imagination apart from reality, long ago reduced to just a Shadow, makes himself known.
- "Shining Armor 13": Cadence proving the Wolf isn't just in Shining Armor's head, and it's still after him.
Cadence: Hey Shining... was there a dog behind you? I could've sworn I saw one when I was coming back down...
- From Part 1 of Clover's Gaiden story, we have the meta origin of Pinkie Pie.
Clover/Minty: I…I… don't understand how can this be? ... You were my imaginary friend.
Celestia: Shining Armor Sparkle, you were never meant to exist.
- Wedding Episode Six: The reveal that Queen Chrysalis knows more than she should.
Queen Chrysalis/Fake Cadence: Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake! Clap your hooves and do a little shake!
- From a later chapter in the Wedding Arc:
- Don't Name It: You once again try to be the Jade Blood. And fail spectacularly.
- Cupcakes: "Now, you take a nap."note
- Anthropology: "All we knew for sure is... you werent born here in Equestria, Lyra."
- Bitterness: "Now this is over, find someone else to be the Wielder of Magic. Because, I now wish to relinquish my position of the Elements of so-called Harmony."
- Turnabout Storm:
- Phoenix needs to stall for time in order to get more evidence to clear Rainbow Dash's name. So what does he do?
Twilight: What about black ones?
- Turnabout Substitution:
Rhea Wits: Do you know why I always put strawberry and lemon chewing gum in the same box?
- A Complete Turnabout:
- In the Ace Attorney fan game, Phoenix Drive, this pops up during the second trial sequence.
Phoenix: I’m Criminal!! Criminal is Phoenix Wrighhhhhh—-t!!!
- Futari Wa Pretty Cure Blue Moon: "If you won't take my word as Nakata Ami, homeroom teacher of the Lily Class, then take it as Cure Dusk, alright?"
- Ace Combat The Equestrian War:
- Chapter 7, when Firefly tells her friends why she hates the griffins and why she's upset upon seeing Black Star:
Firefly: Because... he... he...! He killed my parents!
- Chapter 16, when Black Star tells Edge to deliver a message for Firefly:
Black Star: (to Edge) I feel regret for killing her parents. Let her know that.
Gilda: So, have you found your reason to fight yet? Dash...
- RWBY Reckoning
You remember my promise, don't you? I will not hesitate to kill you should you fail me again. Do you understand, Professor Kor
- The RWBY fic Seven for a Secret ends on a nice one:
- In the popular and acclaimed Avatar: The Last Airbender series Alone: From chapter eleven - "Wait. The Leader can bend two elements?" and "I believe you will have been here four years in two weeks?" The second being a sudden revelation of a Time Skip, akin to a certain scene from The Order of the Stick.
- From the Katawa Shoujo fic, From Shizune's perspective
Shizune: I hit 'Send' as I turned the handle and walked in on Shiinanote and Hisao fucking on my bed.
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality:
Auror Komodo: Hermione Granger, you're under arrest for the attempted murder of Draco Malfoy.
Harry: Hello, Lord Voldemort.
Quirrel: Hello, Tom Riddle.
- Harry Potter and the Prince of Slytherin, the end of chapter 78. "Please, Harry, we're all friends here. Call me Regulus." This line not only reveals the true identity of the fake Gilderoy Lockhart but also that his strange actions over the past year have really been laying the groundwork for freeing Sirius Black from Azkaban.
- How I Became Yours
: You see all those years ago, when I got to your letter, something had to be done. You where not sick
... like I wanted everyone to believe... I had made something just for you to eat so that little problem would go away... and yes, I took pleaser
in doing it...
Lilly: "I-I’m sorry, but Hisao... p-passed away ye-yesterday"
- Hakumei: (extra jarring considering he's essentially leveling a blood feud against his own clan)
Masaru, a.k.a. Arashi no Sasuke/Sasuke Uchiha: Uchiha Yumi...I swear by this blood that I will have my revenge for [Sakura]. Every drop of blood that your spilled will be repaid ten times over. I denounce you, Uchiha Yumi, you and your entire family as hypocrites and murderers. From this day forth, I and my children will never eat with you and yours. I arm myself against you
- The Shadow State:
Gregory: Here's the really unpleasant part Warwick. How many families do you know with that old photo on the mantle and the child who they don't talk about anymore?
- Clear Skies 3
Sol: (jokingly) Maybe they're Jovian!
- The Doctor Who fanfiction Of More Value Than Many Sparrows, in which the Doctor takes a depressed Rose to visit New York.
- Poké Wars has quite a few of these:
"This explosion would be seen from several cities away, and it was something that they would never forget. It would also commemorate something else. That day was the day that the 23-year-old gym leader known as Sabrina died.
: "Ho-oh, it's not a matter of wanting to give you the orb, not that I would give it to you…if I had it."
"'Hmm…how unusual. How did this get here? Interesting. Wonder if this machine is capable of creating this. Will have to see. Interesting prospect, may open new doors. Will have to keep this secret. Ho-oh's shortsighted hatred may make him blind to the possibilities this subject can create,' Uxie said to himself, looking at the single strand of black hair."
Darkrai: "What if we were to remove the dampeners of the humans?"
"Butterfree's Protect held for exactly five seconds."
Houndoom: "We mean you no harm."
Uxie: "Muk thrive in areas of waste. Unwanted by humans in cities and unwanted by Pokémon in wild. Coexistence with others in wild difficult due to neighboring Pokémon exhibiting heightened senses of smell. Not uncommon for Muk to be forced into city by aggressive Pokémon in wild. Muk typically forced to live in sewers beneath city to avoid human aggression. Limited light. Limited mobility. Dampener removal and message from you initiated desire to take and expand territory. Despite our eminence, chances of reasoning with them to stop are…low. Will have to eliminate entire species."
: "I do not understand your logic, thought processes, or how you have come to this conclusion. High probability of dissension among remaining lab members upon learning of attempts at cloning them. But would first require their awareness of this particular experiment. Awareness which requires you to leave this facility to inform them. Would require you to leave this facility... alive.
- Clash of the Elements
: "I guess before the Heartless invaded, this castle used to exist in a world known only as Radiant Garden
- The Life of the Legendaries: "Welcome to Team Galactic, Zero"
- The Vampire Diaries story Return To Mystic Falls drop this bombshell in chapter 15:
Isobel: You need to be more careful, Elena.
Elena: You know that we're alone. We don't have to keep the ruse up.
Isobel: You're right. I'm sorry, Katherine.
- Calvin and Hobbes: The Series: The end of Part 5 of "Thunderstorm", a Wham Episode in itself, contains this from the narrator:
- Another one from "Lightning Man", revealing something about the titular villain:
- And the Series Finale has a whole load of them (sorted by the parts they appeared in):
"Who are you…?" Rueben whispered in fear.
"I am Shadow," the robot replied, "and I am your future."
Socrates stared at it, feeling dread building up in his gut. He paused it quickly.
Calvin: I see.
Socrates: (on the phone) He's not really doing anything. He's just kinda staring at me. Wait, never mind. Now he's sprinting at me. Sprinting at me very fast... OH MY GOD! NO DON'T DO IT! AAAAAAUGH!
Socrates: I… I had some psycho with a knife in my house. The guy who tried to kidnap me had a knife.
MTM: Sorry. I mean it. I'm sorry. I genuinely didn't detect him. I swear.
Sighing with relief, Jack got back up again and looked around.
What he saw next almost made him shut down.
It was Dr. Thunderstorm.
Socrates: This is blasphemy! There's a VHS in here!
Dr. Thunderstorm: Are they indeed? Well! How fortuitous! We shall have to prepare for them! Not to worry, Frank. I shall succeed where you have failed. I shall destroy Calvin and Hobbes, and I shall use the red-tailed tiger's chip to take over the world!
Shadow walked up to the door and cautiously opened the door. He was prepared for anything. It was what he was designed for.
The problem was he couldn't actually detect whatever he was facing.
Dr. Thunderstorm: No… It can't be… Not again… Not after all this time!
Calvin: Wait, do you know who that is?
Dr. Thunderstorm: I remember him… He came when… when I was a child…
Dr. Brainstorm: Who the heck is he, though? What's his business? What's he…?
Dr. Thunderstorm: It's started… He's here somewhere. But I remember. He took another last time. I'll make sure he takes another this time, too!
The lights flickered once more before they finally went out completely.
Everyone in the group suddenly hugged each other, deathly afraid of losing anyone.
And then it stopped.
It happened so suddenly, they were almost deafened by the silence.
Five seconds later, the lights came back on, and when it did, the door was open, allowing the sunlight and cold air of the mountain to flow through the room.
Everyone remained frozen on the spot for at least another minute, each of them too horrified by what had transpired to budge from their spot.
Dr Thunderstorm was gone.
- If you think that's a Wham Line, consider this one from the post-finale special, "The Collective":
Head Klein: How old are you, Calvin?
Calvin: Six, why?
Head Klein: What year is it now?
Head Klein: And what year were you born?
- In the second-to-last chapter of Mortality, Professor Moriarty is engaged in a conversation. In the last line of the chapter, we learn who:
"And how is your younger brother, Mr. Holmes?"
- The Homestuck fanfic Cultstuck:
You don't pay them much attention; most of what little you can gather is wholly transfixed by the round, crystalline pool inlaid in the floor, and by Karkat's unconscious shape floating in it — hair swaying, eyelids translucent, the wide-slit gills lining his ribs gently pulsing in the current.
- In the last chapter, there's this exchange between the leader of the eponymous cult and a space alien:
Grand Elder: Jake.
- The Doctor's Doctor: "According to all records, you disappear without a trace on the night of October 12, 2011 - there is no confirmation of you ever showing back up in your proper time period. [...] I. Cannot. Change. That."
- The The Avengers fanfic, Brother Avengers: "Actually... you don't know me at all." Spoken by Captain America as he reveals himself to be Loki in disguise.
"When I become the new Vampire Queen, I'm gonna make you wish you never hurt my precious only ever ever again."
"The term is 'falling out', but I know how to make that simple for you two."
- Camp Nightmare:
"Cool!" Calvin said. "But what's down there? It's so dark, I can't see anything. Hey! Cats have night vision, right? Use that!"
"Fine," Hobbes said. He looked down, then doubled over and threw up.
"What? What is it?" Calvin asked frantically.
"See for yourself," Hobbes moaned, clutching his chest.
Calvin grabbed a light bulb overtop a stall, extended it, and shone it inside the hole. It was filled with bodies.
- And then, shortly afterwards, in Chapter 3:
"But what does the skull signal mean?" Calvin said.
"I'll tell you what it means, Calvin!" came a voice. The duo turned around. Jerome and his cohorts were standing behind them. "It's only the symbol of our cult
. It has branches all over the world. We are only this town's branch."
- The Ballad Of Stoot And Argyle:
Cartman: Well, you are a fag. Like me.
- Marie D. Suesse And The Mystery New Pirate Age!
Hana: "Don't you know that Monkey D. Luffy was caught by the marines and executed in Loguetown like, years ago?"
The Disinfector: "Like I said, that woman was never, ever the captain of the real Heart Pirates... ...I was."
Trafalgar Law: (in a flashback) "It's Madelyn. She's not what she appears to be. And I suspect she's the one who manipulated the events that led up Straw-Hat Luffy's death."
- From Chapter 30. Note that the person in question is Mar's mother
Trafalgar Law: "I wouldn't waste my time explaining to her what I'm capable of, Mar. She knows very well. Don't you, Madelyn?"
- From Chapter 32, after the Reset Button has been pushed, which we were told would result in Madelyn never getting her powers.
"Nice to meet you, Garreth. I'm Madelyn."
- From The Vampire Diaries story "The High Road" after Klaus says he'll give Jill the cure to a werewolf bite in exchange for her hand.
Jill: Why do you want to cut my hand off?
Katherine: He means your hand in marriage
- From the For Better or for Worse fanfic The New Retcons
- Elizabeth's May 2009 letter: "Said "friend" was a forty year old (she'd just turned the big four-oh April the first) woman named Claire Thompson; when Anthony said she could be my sister, Frank said that was for a good reason: she was!!"
- Mike's August 2009 letter: "On the way back, our house sitter called with the news that the Patels filed kidnapping charges on my mother."
- Dee's February 2010 ketter: "Mike and I have tried to fight this out, cry it out, pray it out. Saturday, he moved out."
- When it transitions into Who Silenced Elly Patterson: Valley Voice Exclusive: Elly Patterson Found Dead
- Later: "Seal it up. [The Caine house] is now a full on crime scene.
- From Keena & the Defendants of Constan Magic Academy chapter 7, Eiko just lost another battle with Keena and friends. Her solution?
Eiko: "Why stop attempting to conquer this world…when I could go to another dimension to finish what I started?"
- Again on chapter 10, during the Loups=Garous crossover arc:
"Yuko Yabe was never dead… because you're looking now at her."
Hazuki: "Well, save the great sex after this is done with."
Lily: "Actually, we already did."
Michie: "Yeah, we're no longer virgins."
Eiko: "I decided that maybe this planet isn't worth it anymore, so I'm just gonna go atomic on this bitch."
Hazuki: "I never thought I'd see you again…Ayumi Kono."
- The above line is now subverted due to Yumi using mind powers to believe Hazuki that Ayumi was there.
- Chapter 22, where the Law of Identity really does show off how otherwordly her abilities can be while talking to Keena in a dream:
Law Of Identity: You sure are finding the flaws rather conspicuously, aren’t you? I think you deserve one more test after what happened today.
Keena: Oh yeah, what's that?
- Chapter 24. It looks like Keena and gang has Fujiko sorrounded...but she reveals one more trump card that sends this series into another crossover event:
: The name's Mystletainn. And frankly, you are all ripe for the killing...heh heh heh...
- The Very Secret Diary: "You have mentioned this You-Know-Who several times, Virginia. But I do not know who. Won't you tell me?"
- From the Katawa Shoujo fic Pictures of Lilly:
This is a picture of the late Dr. Hisao Nakai.
- In Perfection Is Overrated
- Chapter 7, after the Himes sent back into the three time portals prevent Toki from changing history..
Yukino: There's a fourth time portal!
- Chapter 18, when Mai decides to ask Meiko some questions about Bachiko, doubting that she has known Bachiko for as long as she thinks she has.
Meiko's expression suddenly darkened, as a feeling of dread overwhelmed her.
They had been found out.
- Chapter 18, again when Mai comes face to face with the girl who has been attacking her all this time
Mai: I should have known it was you... Shiho-chan.
- Chapter 22: During a confrontation between Mashiro and the Obsidian Lord.
The Obsidian Lord
: That is incorrect; you are speaking to the Usurper.
- Chapter 24: The Advisor admits to creating the SUEs.
The Advisor: You have not only triumphed over the rules of the Hime Carnival itself, slain its mastermind and managed to do so with most of you still alive... but you have also defeated several of my most powerful creations.
- Magnetism has a flashback to Fluttershy talking to her mom, after school, and at the end the following lines appear:
My mum smiled to this and watched me go without saying a word. It would have been a little scary if she had.
After all, photos don’t talk back.
- NES Godzilla Creepypasta:
Red: I'll tell you a secret... I KILLED MELISSA.
- Mass Effect's Weightless:
Chapter 9: "Kai. Kai Leng. But you can call me Ghost."
Chapter 31: "Garrus…did you ever know someone named Nihlus?"
- Lyrical Nanoha fanfic Game Theory (Fan Fic), during the Epilogue:
Nanoha: When were you going to tell us that we weren't going to Alhazred?
- Fallout: Equestria - Project Horizons:
The Stable 99 was the raider army!
- The Stars Will Aid Their Escape has this moment when Nyarlathotep is alone with the Princesses, who are stopping him from going after the Element Bearers.
Nyarlathotep: Why did you assume I was after them?
- Apprentice chapter 11:
Sasuke: Naugus, I want you to resurrect the original Dr. Robotnik.
- XCOM Second Contact chapter 11:
“Shepard-Commander, we seek to parley.”
- The Metal Gear Solid fanfiction Through a Glass Darkly:
"I had hoped that with medication this would have been taken care of," said Slatt, opening his folder to make another note. Snake fought not to startle at the sudden flash of colour in his slowly blurring vision.
"The hell game are you playing?"
The doctor closed his file. "There is no Hal Emmerich. There never has been."
- The climax of the Harry Potter and Power Rangers Mystic Force fic ''Harry Potter and the Mystic Force:
Cedric Diggory: You can call me...Ivan Ooze.
Trixie: Star? Not...short for Starfire, by any chance?
- In The Greatest Gift Of The Heart, Hisao, after Hanako's bad ending, gets to see what things would have been like if he had never come to Yamaku, and finds out that all his friends are miserable. The worst news of all, however, comes when he gets to check in on Hanako's status.
- Speaking of "It's a Wonderful Plot", a similar wham line appears in the Ouran High School Host Club fanfic It's a Wonderfully Splendid Magnificent Life, where Kotoko Fujioka shows Tamaki what things would be like if he never started the Host Club. When he gets to the twins, well...
This new location was absolutely desolate…there were no people around at all.
Tamaki looked around and saw neither of the twins. Just rows and rows of
- Justice League of Equestria: When the first Big Bad of Mare of Steel shows up, he doesn't name himself in his first scene, but gives away his identity with one single word.
- The Total Drama story, Legacy has back-to-back wham lines which reveal the story's true nature:
Heather: How long has it been? Ten years?
Duncan: Ten years ago today, may she rest in peace.
Heather: That wasnt really what I meant, but... [b]ut, yeah. Poor Gwen.
- The Nuptialverse:
- Families: When Olive Branch brings his list of grievances to the Princesses:
Princess Luna: And what matter would thou wish be focused on first?
Olive Branch: The list isn't anything I care about. You may do what you wish.
Olive Branch: I really don't care how you run Equestria. It doesn't matter to me in the end.
- Near the end of Families, after Olive Branch and his followers have been dealt with, the story cuts to Garble and his gang, who disappeared from the story after Twilight maimed him, returning to the dragon lands. When they get there, they're greeted by a guard:
Guard: Prince Garble?
- The Pirates! In An Adventure With The Illuminati
- Chapter 7: "I've been here before."
- Chapter 9: "You should know better than to speak such things...my student."
- Chapter 10: "What happened to me?"
- Faith and Doubt: You may call me... Doubt
- Queen of All Oni: When Jade thanks her new Dragon for lifting the curse Ikazuki put on her:
"Thank you, General Viper
- Winter's Child
- Chapter 2: Twilight Sparkle tells Shining Armor she's pregnant and is keeping the foal.
"I'm keeping our
- Chapter 6: Twilight tells Spike who the baby's father is.
"It’s Shining Armor, right?" the dragon guessed. "He’s the only pony I know you’ve been having sex with."
- Manly Magi Kamina Magica!:
Anti-Spiral: "It's time you granted OUR wish."
"Perhaps we'll get him a moirail, so he can carry it on properly." (More of one for Gamzee than the audience.)
- Later on, we get this from Eridan, when accused of being incapable of understanding why someone wouldn't want sex:
"Don't be fuckin' stupid, a' course I didn't wwant to!":
- The Calvin, Hobbes, and Paine Show has one in its Show Within ASHOW AND ONE OUT OF IT:
- In the show, after Calvin and Paine are taken home by a friend of theirs:
- After the show, Calvin heads home and plans to sleep. Then he hears this on his answering machine:
"Hi, Calvin. This is Bill Watterson-"
- Pokémon False Red: "This is not a game."
- Maylus Revenge part 2 chapter 15 has two of them.
Maylu: Why would Roll do such a thing?
Mr. Wily: The city leaders learned about how a NetNavi rebelled on a NetOp so they took advantage of this issue along with Roll's feelings and gave her a mission. That mission... was her betrayal over you by that rare twisted chip.
- Dirty Sympathy, when Phoenix is trying to make a joke to Apollo to lighten the mood:
Phoenix: Just how long have you been madly in love with Prosecutor Gavin?
- After Armageddon is a Pokémon fanfic set in a post-apocalyptic world. No one remembers why there was an apocalypse (with the exception of the Elite Four), until we find out at the end of chapter 48:
: You know why those scientists wanted to create a powerful pokemon? To fight Pokemon! To fight and kill all of the real Pokemon! You know why the water's polluted. They poisoned it to kill water Pokemon! You want to know who was fighting who, Saylee? Humans were fighting against Pokemon! The enemy was ''us''!
- From Flames and Twilight:
Zecora: You have threatened my friends and borne witness to this form. Now you face Equestria's other Pokemon: for I am the embodiment of lightning. I am Zebstrika!
- Sonic X: Dark Chaos
Jesus Christ: Brothers and sisters, commence Operation Armageddon. Let the galaxy burn.
Sonic: How would you know who my father is?!
- In Frozen Hearts, while Hans and his brother Heins are captured by pirates, they recognize their captain.
Heins: Hans… this is Heinrik… our brother!"
- In Chapter 11, Kristoff gets an unexpected visitor; the dialogue and description of the visitor cue the viewer in to her identity.
Anna: "Kristoff! Kristoff! Guess what? I have to tell you the big news!"
Heinrik: "It's… it's mother. I took your advice and went home after dropping you off in Havetby. I found out she's very ill. In fact… she may be dying. We've got to get back quickly, or you may not see her again."
- In the Girls und Panzer fanfic, Girls (?) & Panzer, one comes up in the thoughts of Haruka, the main protagonist, who is a new student at Oarai Girls' Academy.
"Yet although my bonds with these girls in Sensha-Do will grow stronger."
"I can never tell them…"
- In Boys Und Senshado
- Chapter 6: As Anzio's Semovente fires, the narration describes what the "simunition" rounds do before describing what was hit.
"In this case, it struck an eighty kilo girl straight in the chest."
- Chapter 7: Shiho delivers a surprising announcement.
- For the big Reveal in Tossing Stones.
Bella: Her name is Mary Alice Brendan.
- In Armored Gensokyo, A massive fight between Beowulf and Yuugi Hoshiguma has recently ended, and several of the witnesses (and Beowulf himself) are unable to figure out what he is after finally getting him to become sane. And then Reimu has her say in the matter when she hears that Beowulf once died, only to have his body reconstruct itself.
“But not your mind.” [Reimu] said flatly. “You are an Einst, after all.”
- In Time Braid, Sakura has found a way for her and Hinata to fuse their time loops with with Naruto's, only for this to happen.
- Downton Abbey And Zombies. Almost every chapter.
- 3: (Matthew) had been out... for an entire year.
- 28: ...the Walker's sharp, rotted teeth sank into the flesh around (William's) ankle.
- 30: "I think (Lady Cora) was bitten."
- 34: "Matthew".
- Lovehammer: The Scattering Of Serenity chapter 3:
- Bring Back Some Brown coats to Shake Us Up A Bit
- Naruto: the Secret Songs of the Ninja, the last line of chapter 6, as Team 7 are returning home to Konoha from their adventure in the Country of Earth, just a day or two late to catch the end of the Chuunin Exams:
Keiji: Konoha's been destroyed.
- Losing You
- "And besides," Maudeline note added, tone cold and final, "you're too late. Our daughter is already married."
- Five Score, Divided by Four: Dave wakes up and comes to a startling conclusion that he shares with Evan.
I wipe the tears away from my eyes with my fetlocks “I figured it out Evan.”
Evan leans closer “What did you figure out? Do you know where Fiona is? How to change back? What happened with—”
I cut him off, “Us. I figured us out. Why this all happened.”
Evan grins, not exactly the expression I was expecting. He sits back and speaks up “Hey that’s great, so how do we change back? How do we go back to our original bodies?”
I bite my tongue “We just did.”
- System Restore'
- During the second trial, the murderer's confession, when it's determined that it's possible for the murderer to have reached the crime scene, but her clothes would have gotten wet.
Sonia: “Monobear’s lack of cooperation won’t be a problem, Togami-san. My day clothes are wet, at least from the knees down. This ties me directly to the crime, and I don’t mean to make a scene about it like Hanamura-san. So I confess. I killed Pekoyama-san. My methods were exactly as you said.”
- For Togami, Nanami informing him in Chapter 3, Part 2 that she knows the real Togami.
Nanami: “But you were compromised from the moment you set foot on this island. Myself and the other person…we’re somewhat acquainted. I knew in an instant…”
- Togami gives some bad news to Hinata in Part 5 of Chapter 3.
Togami: “Tsumiki’s dead, and Souda’s gone.”
Vinyl Scratch:"About as mature as a prepubescent colt."
:"I used to *hic*
be one, you know.”
Vinyl:“Be a what?”
- Necessary To Win
- In Chapter 20, while the troops are trying to cross a river.
Hisa: "This is Octopus Team! We're experiencing engine failure!"
- Soon afterward, while Miho goes to help Octopus Team.
Momo: "Don't even THINK about surrendering or abandoning the flag tank this time, Nishizumi! If you do... our school will be shut down!"
- In Chapter 23, Teru finally reveals the root cause of her animosity toward Saki.
- In Chapter 28, while Saki and Teru are discussing their family, the narration reveals that something changed between their parents.
Less than a week before Teru's graduation, her and Saki's parents officially divorced.
- In the Teen Titans fanfiction The Poison of the Raven, chapter 12: "The poor girl is HIV-positive."
- Mirror's Image: "The Great and Powerful Changeling shall lead you to the hive."
- Somber Ties: Chapter one: “Actually they were the same. I’m Sombra’s nephew. My mother, Sable Crux, was his sister.”
- Chapter 11: “I greet you, Jet Crucius, son of Sable Crucius, Keeper of Keys and Cradle’s Voice, blood of my blood. I am Cruciger Crucius, Guardian of the Gates and Cradle’s Sword, son of Sombra Crucius.”
- CoH (Book One) : Of Magic and Masquerades: Chapter 3: Twilight, to the pony who willingly helped her get the Chrystal Heart: Thank you, King Sombra.
- The Twilight Child: After several chapters of hinting, a reason for the main character's sour and withdrawn behaviour is given, in a conversation with Princess Luna.
Twilight Twinkle: Behold, Nightmare Eclipse.
- The sequel / spin-off has a wham word. Wisp, a Changeling, has just had their actual form revealed, but the narration uses Gender-Neutral Writing, until..
Narration: She blinked.
- The Ninth Sekirei Pillar: After Miya flies into such a rage at the sight of Ayesha that her Killing Intent made the others pass out, we have this line from Naruto and Hanabi's point of view.
Naruto: "Miya may have kept her Killing Intent contained, but Ayesha had not."
- In Prison Island Break, Shadow The Hedgehog reads some documents about who his son is, and breaks down into hysterics. At first it doesn't sound like you're going get a name, just his screaming, but the Wham Line is delivered precisely at the end of the chapter, doubling both as the name, and informing readers that though Shadow is violent, he would never hurt his own son...
Shadow: (sobbing hysterically) BUT DON'T MAKE IT BE SILVER! I'VE HURT HIM!
- In a whammy story of the Facing The Future Series, we have this line regarding Danielle:
Danny:"So what do you say, Tuck? Got any connections at the Mayor's Office that might be able to fast-track a set of adoption papers?"
- Master of the Unown gives this line after Taylor wishes her mom was still alive.
[A-N-N-E-T-T-E R-O-S-E H-E-B-E-R-T]
[W-I-F-E O-F D-A-N-I-E-L J-A-M-E-S H-E-B-E-R-T|M-O-T-H-E-R O-F M-A-S-T-E-R]
[D-I-E-D I-N C-A-R C-R-A-S-H]
[M-A-S-T-E-R W-A-N-T-S H-E-R M-O-M|A-N-N-E-T-T-E R-O-S-E H-E-B-E-R-T|C-O-L-L-E-G-E P-R-O-F-E-S-S-O-R|!]
[R-E-V-E-R-S-E| B-R-I-N-G B-A-C-K]
- Dog and Pony Show: Aftermath Chapter five: “You are no trinket, Luna. You are my sister and once, long ago, a bitch’snote only child.”
- In The Fairly OddParents fanfic A Tale Of Two Trixies, Timmy accidentally wishes for Trixie to have never been popular. He wakes up in a world where Trixie is his tomboyish best friend, but then she notices his seeming confusion with everything around him.
- Extended Stay has two of these. The first one comes in Chapter 10 when Ultraprison is about to leave but is suddenly delayed.
Mistress: I-I'm pregnant...
- Chapter 12, when Warden and Mistress are getting married:
- Catch A Brief Reflection has Bardot saying this to Barney:
- "You're a physical manifestation of the black chalk..."
- From Young Justice: Darkness Falls
- The Matrix fanfic Butterfly has this line from Sorcha after she is asked what ship she applied to:
- Death Note Equestria: Chapter 26: Applejack: “Dash, that ain’t us.”
- Chapter 33: Twilight Sparkle, who takes the role of Light in this fanfic: “Colgate... I think you’ll be a fantastic L.”
- The Next Frontier: The line that provides The Reveal of what exactly the story is a crossover with, which is such a massive spoiler that it will not even be reproduced here.
- Movie Night At Freddy's: Mike utters this line when he realizes that Freddy Fazbear is no longer on the show stage:
Mike: No! No. No! Fuck no! Fuck everything! Where’d he go? Where the fuck did Fazbear go?
- Tangled Adventures In Arendelle: When Grandpappie examines rapunzel, he says that she has "it" inside her. And with the next line, Rapunzel's power origin is about to be expanded upon.
Grandpappie: You have the power of Sunna Leiron.
- In the Peggy Sue Code Geass story Once More with Feeling, things go mostly the same as before until the battle of Narita.
Jeremiah's Sutherland then exploded, the cockpit still in it's torso.
- In the Shokugeki no Soma fanfic Nouvelle Soma remains completely subdued after trying Erina's dishes, which completely baffles her due to how out of character it was for him. Then at the end of chapter 5, we get this:
: How can Nakiri cook just like mom
- In the Fairly Oddparents fanfiction, Never Had A Friend Like Me, there are a few, especially near the end of the story where the action picks up.
- When Timmy makes a wish that Elmer's boil was gone:
Wands were raised and there was a distinct poof. And Timmy had just a moment to feel proud of his actions.
Then everything went wrong.
- In Chapter 31, when Cosmo asks where Norm is:
Her voice a wavering croak, Amanda
said, "Gone. He's gone."
- In the final chapter, where Norm is looking at Amanda sleeping:
- Surprisingly, the rather comedic Reactsverse fics contain various examples of these:
: (in reference to a certain piece of equipment which Siegmund is suspected to have snuck in with)
"An hour bef...dear Dust.
Fiora: [upon seeing Emmeryn]
- All That Shimmers: "You're not possessed by a demon. You are a demon."
- We get this, mixed with a major Oh Crap! moment in the first chapter of the Inside Out fanfic Intercom. Anger causes an accident that severely damages Headquarters, but the Emotions don't realize how big the problem is until they see how freaked out Riley is.
Disgust: I wonder what's got her spooked...
Riley: Who said that?
- From You Mean I Look Like Broccoli?
Joy: Hopes and dreams! That’s it! Sadness, you’re a genius!
- From Riley: Recognized, regarding Riley touching the console.
Riley: Um, guys? What does white mean?
Ann: Who's Disgust?
"The console wasn't turning a bright, comforting yellow as normal. In fact, it wasn't doing a thing. That is, until it turned white."
- In the third installment of the Elemental Chess Trilogy, Edward Elric sends a desperate telegram to his friends at the Briggs fortress to let them know the outcome of Roy Mustang's murder trial. It contains just one word: Checkmate.
- ultamite nineball's fic Soulless Shell; "then he shot a beam from his paw which the rat teleported away from"...
- Recoil has two (so far):
Part 2.1: Oh shit. My mom's in a lesbian relationship with my room-mate. What the fuck do I do now?
Part 3.1: “The name's Tom,” he greeted me. “Tom Calvert.” Thomas Calvert, aka Coil, was her boss before he betrayed her and she killed him.
- In The Hart, Harry Potter has recently learned he's one of the Senior Partners of Wolfram & Hart and spends a good deal of time talking to his mother's ghost about what he did to stop Voldemort and prevent a new dark lord. For the most part it reads as an Anti-Hero being convinced he did what he had to, right up until the final sentence of the scene.
With that goodbye the First
disappeared from view, still smiling at it's loyal and most valued acolyte
- What's Your Story, Morning Glory?
Goldie: Oh, I need you to autograph something, mommy! I made a new friend today, and she said this is her favorite book, so I told her I'd get you to autograph it.
Galaxy: Well, if it's for a friend of yours, not to mention a fan, I can hardly say no. What's her name?
- Rebuilt: "Until next time, Harry."
- From the Naruto fanfic Desperation Attracts Vultures after Mei saves Naruto from an enemy attack.
Frozen in ice in a silent scream with her hand desperately reaching outward was Ino.
Sunset Shimmer: Did I know (Sunburst)? Twilight Sparkle, I used to be him.
- In Worm fanfic Quicken, when Emma asks “What date is it?” she learns that she’s not spent several hours buried alive. She’s spent nine months.
I had been gone for over nine months.
- Zero No Tsukaima Saito The Onmyoji drops this bombshell while Saito is trying to figure out what's wrong with Louise's magic:
Saito: "Those chains represent a seal of some kind. Someone has deliberately sealed your magic."
- Blood Man Luffy is a story where Luffy ate a different Devil Fruit than canon, specifically the Chi Chi no Mi, making him a Blood Man. Things get interesting when Bell-Mère learns of it.
Bell-Mère: "You have Gold Roger's devil fruit?"
- Sonata's Crazy and Wacky Adventure in Skyrim, chapter 16:
"For saving Tolfdir and the other professors, and not to mention the College, you have my thanks... Siren Queen."
- In the second-to-last chapter of The Very Secret Diary:
Who else am I? Ginny: I do not know who else. Tom:
Ah, but you do. You do know who, Virginia. You know who. Ginny:
No, I do not. Tom:
Yes, you do. You know who. You know who... You-Know-Who.
- The Inside Out/Big Hero 6/Home crossover Empathy has had a couple of these so far:
Fear: I think Riley can hear us.
- From Chapter 13, more for the implication that the speaker is a Boov, than what they're saying:
: You are faking the deads
, aren't you? You cannot be deads if someone knows you're alive.
- The Steven Universe human Alternate Universe fanfic Eyes on Me has this conversation between Sapphire and her mom in Chapter 8, which itself is a turning point due to its tone:
Sapphire: I know you're trying to help, Mom, but I'm not in the mood for a motivational speech right now. Why don't you just go home?
Yoko: I can't. Well, we can't. Your father kicked us out.
Sapphire: Wait, you mean we're homeless?!
- In The (Edit) War for Ash's Freedom to not be Betrayed, Arceus drops this bombshell on Darkern Edgier, which also comes as a surprise to the reader:
Arceus: Remember what you said, about this not being canon? Well, without realizing it you were more on the nose than you might have realized.
- The Oversaturated World:
"Well, in so many words, we, uh, we found evidence of human magic."
Sunset awoke to the sound of her journal buzzing. She flipped it open. The message she found was scrawled across the whole page. Get to the portal. NOW.
- Code Geass Colorless Memories has a fair few examples.
- The first in Chapter 9 when Rai joins the Black Knights with C.C.
C.C : After all that was the deal we made... E.E.
- Next one in Backstage 4 when Kaguya runs into an OSI agent near her Family's Temple.
Harald Thompson Now do you Kaguya Sumeragi know anything called the Sumeragi Legacy.
- Chapter seventeen when Rai is reunited with E.E.
Rai I..I remember now.. it's all coming back to me.. E.E.