Spike: So those bracelets have turned Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash into magnets?
Twilight: Well thatís simplifying things a bit, but pretty much.
Rainbow Dash: Quick question, if me and Fluttershy are magnets, am I top and she bottom or does Fluttershy top me?Magnetism!
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
comedy/shipping fanfic where, during a visit to Twilight's house, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy end up stuck together
due to two magical bracelets that slam the wearers back together if they don't touch for more than five seconds. This quickly proves awkward for the two ponies.
From innuendo laden conversation after a failed attempt to break the link ends up with them in front of Rarity's house to Rainbow Dash needing a pee while they're attached, their lives are made very difficult by the bracelets, and it doesn't help that Fluttershy has a crush on Rainbow Dash.
It is completed, and has a sequel currently in-progress, The Shy Knight and the Rainbow Princess!
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: Pinkie speaks with Fluttershy's voice, saying it's easy. Less explainable is Pinkie speaking with Rainbow's voice.
- Added Alliterative Appeal: The first two chapters are named "Binding Bracelets" and "Bunny Block"
- Almost Kiss: Pinkie interrupts Fluttershy's attempt to kiss Rainbow Dash.
- Anything But That!: Mayor Mare's saying she'll do anything if it means not falling in love with the Smarty Pants doll again.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: A very large monster that looks like toast attacks Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and The Cutie Mark Crusaders at one point. Believe it or not, It Makes Sense in Context.
- Bathtub Scene: Recounted in detail by Rainbow Dash during the spa scene.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Fluttershy's terrifying when she gets angry.
- Bound and Gagged: Well, bound anyway, when Fluttershy and Rainbow try to leave the library after Twilight gets her sanity back, she stops them this way. Unfortunately for Fluttershy, her mouth works faster than her brain at this point, for some awkward humor.
- Bridal Carry: How Rainbow holds Fluttershy when they take care of the former's weather jobs.
- Burning with Anger: Twilight combines this with a slasher smile when Rainbow breaks the bracelets, after getting them off.
- Butt Monkey: Because of their mutual hatred of each other, Angel and Rainbow turn each other into these.
- Call Back: This adorable exchange comes back in chapter eight after it was featured in a flashback in chapter seven.
Rainbow Dash: Fluttershy. You should take up some sports... and become a Wonderbolt.
Rainbow Dash: Because. *Hugs Fluttershy* Then you'd be my three favourite things combined; an athlete, a Wonderbolt, and you.
- Chained Heat: The bracelets function as this.
- Covert Pervert: Fluttershy likes being tied up.
- Rarity apparently reads very raunchy novels.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Non-romantic example. Angel does not like seeing Rainbow Dash getting so...intimate with Fluttershy. It also doesn't help that he thinks that the magic bracelets aren't magic but an excuse for Rainbow to take all the attention from him. Fluttershy is completely oblivious to this and their attempts to attack each other, of course.
- Though he tones it down after the catapult incident, as he's finally convinced that the bracelets are real.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Gilda, as revealed in the backstory in chapter seven. She was aware of Fluttershy's feelings for Rainbow, and threatened to physically hurt her if she flirted with her.
- Cute and Psycho: Sweetie Belle, when she chops trees, shows shades of this.
- Deadpan Snarker:
- Rainbow is quite the snarker, especially in regards to Twilight's antics.
- Rarity loves to snark at all of Rainbow's Innocent Innuendo.
- Death Glare: Rainbow and Angel trade these constantly.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Angel's imaginings about what's going on in the spa do invoke certain...images, before proving to be more innocent.
- Double Take: Rainbow Dash does this when she think she sees an archaeopteryx in Fluttershy's garden.
- Embarrassing Middle Name: The flashback reveals that Rainbow Dash's full name is Rainbow Prismatic Dashing.
- Epic Fail: If this is anything to go by...
Rainbow Dash poured the milk into the bowl of cereal. Astonishingly, this time it did not catch on fire.
- Erotic Dream: Subverted at the beginning of chapter four.
- Escalating War: Rainbow and Angel.
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: After Rainbow Dash takes off for the bathroom, one of Fluttershy's animal friends asks about the bracelet on her hoof. Fluttershy realizes what's about to happen after she finishes explaining.
- Face Palm: Angel, while trying to pantomime the fact that Rainbow and Fluttershy ended up in Everfree together, ends up doing this a few times.
- Rainbow Dash does this with her hoof when she realizes she pulled Fluttershy in the direction of the spa.
- Feud Chapter: Chapter 6 has Rainbow and Fluttershy feuding quite a bit.
- Flipping the Bird: Angel Bunny did this to Rainbow Dash right before she dropped a hot rock on his head.
- Rainbow and Fluttershy joke, in chapter 1, about Twilight getting the bracelets off by cutting off their limbs. Guess what Twilight proposes to do in chapter 3?
- Chapter 1 briefly shows a scene that we don't see again until chapter 7.
- Friendly Tickle Torture: Rainbow gives Fluttershy a dose of this during the prank spree.
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: Sweetie Belle gets an axe, and becomes very excited when trying to be a lumberjack.
- Guilt Complex: Twilight suffers from one through much of the story.
- Hidden Depths: Rainbow Dash knows a lot more about animals than anyone expected.
- Imagine Spot: Angel has a few about Dash making Fluttershy into a sex slave.
- Innocent Innuendo: Constantly when other ponies are around. For example, when it's mentioned that the bracelets act like magnets in front of Rarity's house, Rainbow asks which one's the top and which one's the bottom, which, after a short awkward silence, Rarity lampshades this, followed by Rainbow Dash admitting that she doesn't know what an innuendo is. It's later explained that she missed an entire week of school as a filly that just so happened to be the week they were teaching Sex Ed.
Rainbow Dash: Now we buck.
Fluttershy: The clouds!
- The Insomniac: Twilight, while studying a number of ancient artifacts she received from Princess Luna, becomes an obsessive one. It gets worse when the bracelets get stuck to her two friends, and she insists on solving their problem before getting any sleep.
- Interrupted Declaration of Love: Chapter eight has Fluttershy just about to tell Rainbow that she loves her. The moment is ruined when Rainbow cuts her off, declaring that the bracelets had come off. Word of God stated that, because the original plans involved Fluttershy confessing before the bracelets were explained, Rainbow would've just been confused, and the bracelets would never have come off.
- I Want Grandkids: Apparently Granny Smith wants ten great-grandkids, which is why Applejack is so horrified by the idea that Big Mac and/or Applebloom might be gay.
- Jerk Ass: Gilda.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Angel means well for his master, but prefers that he's the center of her attention and getting what he wants from her in return. He isn't particularly nice in making sure he gets this, either.
- Lampshade Hanging: Rarity has a lot of fun lampshading Rainbow's Innocent Innuendo.
- Laxative Prank: Angel manages to pull one, much to Rainbow's discomfort.
- Lethal Chef: Rainbow Dash does the same thing Sweetie Belle did with toast, turning it into a burnt goop. Also appears in the backstory, where Rainbow Dash mentions that the one time she was put in charge of cooking, the staff at flight camp was out for weeks. See Epic Fail for more.
- It's even hinted that Rainbow and Sweetie Belle's burn toast turn into monsters.
- Let Us Never Speak of This Again: The one thing that Angel and Rainbow Dash could agree on at the end of "Honeymoon in The Everfree Forest" was to never speak of this again
- Madness Makeover: Twilight, after studying all night to find a way to get the bracelets off after having spent three days awake previously, looks completely psycho, never mind that the makeover gets worse as she speaks.
- Mad Scientist: Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Rarity imagine Twilight as one in regards to her sleep deprived mind trying to get the bracelets off. Played for laughs, of course.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Rainbow Dash has quite the reaction to successfully making cereal. To be fair, with what we've seen of her attempts at cooking, successfully making cereal is saying something.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Angel's biggest attempt to get rid of Rainbow was, according to Word of God, like launching the duo to a pre-set candlelight dinner.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Sweetie Belle when she gets her axe.
- No Kill Like Overkill: They drop the toast monster they encounter into a very deep pit, and drop a lot of rocks on top of it to keep it from chasing them. Apparently, Angel, a three inch tall rabbit, built the trap.
- No More for Me: Zigzagged. BG character Berry Punch, often depicted as an alcoholic, had sworn off alcohol according to chapter 5. Then she saw a snake and a rat playing Noughts and Crosses together.
- Non Sequitur Thud: After crashing into Rainbow, while holding onto Fluttershy, Twilight says, "Yes Mommy I would like syrup with my pancakes" before falling over again.
- No Sense of Personal Space: While it is necessary to keep touching, Rainbow has a tendency to get a bit...intimate without realizing it.
- Not What It Looks Like: Quite literally constantly, from Rainbow Dash tackling Fluttershy and saying that they need to constantly touch to them looking very intimate at Fluttershy's cottage. Made worse by Rainbow Dash's explanations, and the fact that Applejack keeps stumbling upon them at the most inopportune times.
- Oblivious to Love: Rainbow is oblivious to Fluttershy's feelings for her throughout, and apparently hadn't the slightest clue that Gilda grabbing her ass and such meant she was attracted to her.
- Oh, Crap: Fluttershy's reaction after Angel catapults Rainbow into the Everfree Forest.
- Pass the Popcorn: During Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash's emotional conversation, Spike went to get popcorn and even shared some with Pinkie Pie.
- Poisoned Chalice Switcheroo: Subverted when Angel makes vegetable soup for Rainbow and Flutters. Rainbow Dash (rightfully) thinks he poisoned her bowl, so she switches with Fluttershy and expects Angel to stop her from eating. It turns out that Angel expected Rainbow to try this, so he put the laxatives in Fluttershy's bowl in the first place.
- Potty Emergency:
- Rainbow Dash has one while at Fluttershy's house. Her first attempt to pee drags Fluttershy halfway up the stairs, and reinforces Angel's belief that Rainbow Dash is trying to kill her, so Rainbow has to take Fluttershy with her into the bathroom. Fluttershy is only comforted by thinking nothing will be more awkward than that. At least till they're in bed together.
- Fluttershy has one at the spa, which leads to even more awkwardness, as they have to explain to their spa partners why they have to go together, and Applejack walks in as they leave the toilet.
- Yet another one happens after Angel drugs Rainbow Dash's soup with laxatives.
- The Prankster: Three of them working together. Specifically Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash and...Fluttershy?
- Primal Scene: Pinkie flashes back to one, while yelling out disturbing details.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Rainbow yells "My! Wing! Isn't! Broken!" at the end of chapter 6.
- Sanity Slippage: Twilight becomes more and more unhinged as time goes on. She gets better without help.
- She loses it a second time at the end of Chapter eight, and combines it with a burning mane after Rainbow gets the bracelets off her and Fluttershy, and throws them on the ground, shattering them.
- Shaped Like Itself: Chapter two describes a "peach colored peach."
- Shipper on Deck: Rarity goes with a nudge, nudge, wink, wink approach with Fluttershy, after hearing about their more compromising moments in the bathtub.
- All subtelty is dropped and Pinkie Pie joins in on the fun in the not-so-final chapter, when she and Rarity erect a giant banner with Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy's faces on it with a heart between them. Unfortunately, AJ talks them into taking it down. Even the author refers to them collectively as "the shippers" at this point.
- Shout-Out: To The Legend of Zelda, after Rainbow successfully makes cereal. The line before is a shout out to an episode of The Simpsons where Homer makes cereal and it catches fire.
- Slasher Smile: Whenever Twilight goes off the deep end, she sports one
- Slice of Life: The fic itself is very much slice of life, if said life involves two people having to touch every five seconds, one of them has a crush on the other, and awkwardness ensues constantly.
- Sneeze Cut: At the same time that Rainbow Dash said she doubted there was no pony who could cook as bad as her, Sweetie Belle sneezed.
- Stunned Silence: After Fluttershy says that she keeps Angel around because he reminds her of Rainbow Dash, this is the inevitable result.
- Happens again in the climax of chapter 8, with everyone except Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy rendered completely silent until the bracelets come off.
- There Is Only One Bed: The whole bathroom thing is topped by the awkwardness of their sleeping in the same bed, and Fluttershy's thoughts on the matter. This is justified by the fact that they have to constantly touch, however.
- This Explains So Much: During the (rather dark) flashback in chapter seven, it is revealed that the reason Rainbow is so ignorant about sex is because she got sick during the week they taught sex ed.
- Throw the Book at Them: When Rainbow first enters Twilight's house, she gets a book in the face.
- Tone Shift: Chapter 7 takes a far darker route when we flash back to Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash's time in school.
- Wham Line: In chapter 7, Fluttershy spends a long time talking to her mother, before heading off to make herself dinner. At the end of her conversation with her mother, Fluttershy tells us:
My mum smiled to this and watched me go without saying a word. It would have been a little scary if she had.
After all, photos donít talk back.
- Worthy Opponent: By the end of the story, Angel and Rainbow see each other as this.