Fan Fic / The Very Secret Diary
The Very Secret Diary
Tom Riddle, informing Ginny Weasley that she's naive, defined as having not experienced true pain.
Tom: I tell you this to help you. To spare you pain. It is possible that Beth is kind to you in order to distract you so that you will not see her true intention.
Ginny: To read my diary.
Tom: It is not for me to make accusations. I mean only to make you aware. I know the ways of the world and I could not bear to see you taken advantage of.
Ginny: ... What happened to make you not naïve, then?
Ginny: Did someone hurt you?
Tom: It … You …
is a fanfiction set during Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
, made up solely of Ginny's written conversations with Tom Riddle's Diary.
Starting from her first entry, the story shows Ginny's increasing terror as she starts blacking out and waking up to hear about students being petrified. She turns increasingly to Tom for support, but his underestimation of Ginny, along with his frustration at being a child's diary, causes him to gradually reveal his true nature. Ginny catches on to him, and they soon find themselves in a fight as Tom tries to completely control her and Ginny casts about for a way to fight him without going to a teacher and getting expelled.
Despite it's Foregone Conclusion
, The Very Secret Diary
is able to draw out a lot of characterization, Fridge Horror
, and suspense out of its subject. The story can be found here
, and the author's account on The Sugar Quill
can be found here
. The fanfic has since been deleted from The Sugar Quill
, but someone shared it here
and there is also a German translation that can still be read here
if it should be deleted again. If you do not speak German, the Google translation
is perfectly readable, though be warned that the writing style suffers.
Not to be confused with The Very Secret Diaries
This novel contains examples of:
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Ginny, at the end.
- Creepy Monotone: Ginny's writing voice is this while possessed by Tom, and near the end it starts to bleed into Ginny's conscious voice.
- Darker and Edgier: The Very Secret Diary can be this to Arabella's Hermione, Queen of the Witches, which is Hermione's take on the series up to Book Five, written in her (not-evil) enchanted diary.
- Deadpan Snarker: It's how Tom lets out his aggravation, and Ginny's often too naive to get that she's being laughed at.
- Tom Riddle especially likes using double meanings: for instance, when he's trying to persuade Ginny to tell him a secret:
Ginny: You wouldn't care if it was a bad one?
Tom: You could not tell me anything that would make me like you less.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: It's been pointed out that Tom's manipulation is disturbingly similar to that of real life predators.
- Downer Ending: But, a happy epilogue, if you've read the book.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Tom, questioning Ginny on why she loves her family.
- Foregone Conclusion: Tom fully possesses Ginny in the end.
- Good Cannot Comprehend Evil: Ginny gives a remarkable "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Tom, saying she simply can't work out what's wrong with him.
- Get Out: Tom's only response to the above.
- Hufflepuff House: Although she doesn't know why, Ginny doesn't want to be sorted here. Tom tells her that there's no need to explain.
- Kick the Dog: Tom bullies Ginny well past the point where he's won. Cause he evil.
- Manchurian Agent: Ginny has no memory of Tom's possessions.
- Manipulative Bastard: Tom. For a while, he manages to convince Ginny against herself.
- Mind Rape: Guess who, on who.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: While Riddle waits for Harry in the Chamber of Secrets, he passes the time by giving Ginny a Reason-You-Suck Lecture.
- Shrinking Violet: Ginny, although she gains some Character Development halfway in.
- Significant Anagram: Tom is fond of them, as in Canon.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: Ginny, to Harry. It's also implied that she starts to develop feelings for Tom before things go pear-shaped.
- Soul Jar:
- Visionary Villain
- Wham Line: "You have mentioned this You-Know-Who several times, Virginia. But I do not know who. Won't you tell me?"
- Once Tom has Ginny fully under his control, he gets off an epic one:
Tom: Idiot girl, it took you five months even to suspect me. And in another five months you have been completely unable to extract yourself from me for long enough to say a single word in your own defense. Of course you do not know who I am. You do not know to whom you have been giving your soul. Ask me now who I am. I want to tell you.
Tom: And who else am I…?
Ginny: I do not know who else.
Tom: Ah but you do. You do know who, Virginia. You know who.
Ginny: No, I do not.
Tom: Yes you do. You know who. You know who... You-Know-Who.