Fan Fic / Hakumei
A Naruto For Want of a Nail
that takes the What If?
of Danzo's bastardry
taken to its Logical Extreme
. Danzo kills The Leader
of the Leaf Village and in the following Reign of Terror
takes over. Unfortunately, he didn't count on six neglected children witnessing him in the act. As the kids escape with secrets given by the dying Hokage, aided and abetted by one of the ANBU, they pick up other lost children... and a force that will be the twilight of its enemies is born.
The fic itself is complete. A sequel started in August 2015, Hakumei: Kakumei
, picks up three years after the series left off.
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Cain and Abel:
- Expected in-universe for Uchiha brothers, averted for Itachi and Sasuke. Their father was somewhat disturbed that Itachi didn't try to kill his younger brother at birth. Dysfunction Junction, much?
- Averted for the Hyuuga sisters and their cousin, despite the latter's initial condition of slavery to the former and the former's long separation.
- Cassandra Truth: No one really believes Gaara when he talks about the monster eating his mind whenever he sleeps until they learn about the Kyuubi in Naruto and Gaara expresses his relief and joy that he's not alone in his situation. In the Chunin exams, Ino uses her Mind Transfer Jutsu on Gaara to try to cheat and the audience discovers that Shukaku is literally gnawing on Gaara's mind, which Ino finds extremely uncomfortable.
- Cast Speciation: Hinata's Tenshi Byakugan serves to give her a different powerset than Neji's, rather than the canonical situation where their abilities are basically the same but he's better at using them. Also, the three medics, aside from all having completely different fighting styles, end up with different medical specialties; for example, Haku focuses on medicinal herbs rather than using chakra to heal.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Yumi is actually mentioned in Part 1.
- Chekhov's Skill: Hinata removing Neji's Caged Bird seal in the very first scene gets a Call Back when Jiraiya asks her to do the same to the seal on Orochimaru's brain.
- Cool Teacher: Jiraiya tries and sometimes, he is... until Tsunade bursts his bubble.
- Creepy Child: Sai, Gaara and Shino are heroic examples and Yumi is a villainous one. Subverted in Yumi's case because she's not really a child, just passing for one.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: In the Chuunin Exams, every time a Hakumei member faces an actual genin and isn't taking a dive. Against other fake genin, things are more complicated.
- Darkest Hour: None of the kids are sure they'll survive their first winter. That's when they meet Tsunade...
- Deadly Doctor:
- Haku's medical abilities rely on herbs and chemicals; he also uses drugs and poisons in battle.
- Hinata may be another example, since her fighting style involves poison.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sasuke, Sai, Neji and Kimimaro.
- Death by Adaptation: The Third Hokage dies earlier in this adaptation than he does in canon.
- Designated Girl Fight: Sakura vs Yumi. Yumi wins but presumably only because Sakura's undercover and can't use her more powerful, flashy techniques. Hinata vs Matsuri could count, except it isn't a fight.
- Discard and Draw: After Hinata awakens the Tenshi Byakugan, she is no longer able to use normal Byakugan.
- Ditto Fighter: Matsuri figures out how to use "Dokugiri" after only seeing it once.
- Doom It Yourself: Do NOT ask Kimimaro to fix your house.
- Drowning My Sorrows: After the 3rd Hokage's death, Gekkou Hayate tells Iruka that Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura, Hinata and Neji are all missing, presumed "kidnapped by the Rock nin that assassinated the Sandaime." Iruka then silently changes his plans for the evening to "get black-out drunk."
- Dual Wielding: Yumi dual-wields kunai in a style that is noted to look like it's meant for dual-wielding swords.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: This becomes a sore spot with Haku. He and Deidara bond over it in an omake.
- Dramatic Unmask: During their battle, Yumi breaks Sasuke's mask with her whip, revealing his face and active Sharingan.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Konan and Zabuza in Chapter 3. Zabuza doesn't appear again until Chapter 11, and Konan doesn't reappear.
- Elemental Powers:
- Dishing Out Dirt: Gaara, of course, attacks using sand, and it's shown that for his powers "sand" includes any kind of dirt. Also, one of Yumi's elemental affinities is earth.
- Extra-ore-dinary: Yumi uses ninjutsu that manipulate metal.
- An Ice Person: Haku uses ice attacks due to his kekkei genkai.
- Making a Splash: Mist ninja, Kakashi, and Itachi are seen using water attacks.
- Playing with Fire: Sasuke, Yumi, and in theory all Uchiha have an affinity for fire.
- Enemy Mine: During the invansion/rebellion, the joint Sound/Sand forces and Kinen/Hakumei all agree on taking out any ROOT nearby befoore attacking each other.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Sasuke BSODs because of this. The others remind him that not being completely heartless is a GOOD thing.
- Evil Former Friend: Technically she's been dead for 13 years but Kushina and Mikoto were once thick as thieves. Yumi invokes this by killing Inuzuka Hana to gain the Mangekyou Sharingan. Kiba sees Naruto as this when he learns that Naruto is working to take down the current Konoha regime.
- Evil Matriarch: Mikoto Uchiha. During the confrontation, Sasuke suspects that she only wants him back for political reasons. Her later conversation with Hiashi confirms it.
- Extreme Omnivore: Sai develops this when the kids are homeless fugitives after escaping Konoha.
- Fluffy the Terrible: Naruto dubs the Nine-Tailed Fox and One-Tailed Tanuki "Fuzzy Wuzzy" and "Sandy Wandy" after the rest of the group find out about them.
- Forgotten Friend, New Foe: Naruto is actually insulted that it takes so long for Kiba to remember who he is.
- A Friend in Need: Hakumei will gladly abandon their mission to rescue either their teammates or innocents. This is seen when Naruto is interrogated by Ibiki (who, luckily, is in Kinen) and when Sasuke is cornered by his mother and the Uchiha as Hakumei escape Konoha.
- Get A Hold Of Yourself Man: In chapter 18, Sasuke has to remind Naruto just what's at stake in Konoha.
- Glamour Failure: Naruto can't hide his whiskers.
- Good Parents: Tenten's foster father is apparently the only one who didn't treat her poorly for being a foreigner before he brought her foster mother around.
- The Great Offscreen War: By the sequel, Konoha conquered the Sand and Rock villages, leaving the Hidden Cloud as the last major village while the Mist is recovering from another revolution.
- Harmful to Minors: Putting aside the murder of the Third Hokage, its effect on the protagonists and their various familial troubles, Itachi once took his mother's place in assisting medic-nin in battle since she was pregnant with Sasuke at the time. Itachi was five. He still has nightmares from the experience.
- Heel–Face Turn: Isaribi, Zabuza, Rock Lee, Shino, Itachi, Ten-Ten and Hiashi, though it's debatable how much of a Heel everyone but the first two actually was.
- He Knows Too Much: The reason why the kids have to leave Konoha in the first place: they know Danzou will kill them for having witnessed the actual circumstances of the Third Hokage's death. Later on, some members of Hakumei consider killing Shino when they realize he has put two and two together.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Hakumei in the sequel.
- Heroic Bystander: Rock Lee (Danzo instates laws that prevent him from attending the Ninja Academy) and the proprietor of Ichiraku Ramen (who manages to clock some utterly surprised Sand and Sound ninja with his ladle).
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Both Sasuke and Hinata in chapter 32. Hinata's is because of Hiashi's death. Sasuke's is because despite having declared a blood feud against the Uchiha clan, he still hesitated in front of his mother. Naruto helps Hinata get over it. Sasuke determines that he will never hesitate again, and that the next time he meets his family, he will destroy them.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Hiashi. See You Shall Not Pass below.
- I Call Her "Vera": Zabuza refers to his sword as female, though name is explicitly given.
- I Have No Son: Hyuuga Hiashi disowns Hinata and Neji after Hinata removes Neji's Caged Bird seal.
- I Know You Know I Know: Since Hakumei are undercover during the Chuunin exams, there's a lot of this going on.
- Ill Boy: Kimimaro has mostly recovered from his illness, thanks to Tsunade, but it still saps his endurance.
- Improbable Age: Naruto and co. successfully escape a very large village with very important information, collect three other strangers, two of whom are three years older than they are, and live on their own for at least a year, all at the tender ages of six or seven. Then again, Tsunade notes that the kids have various amounts of ailments when she finds them and, well, they're ninja-in-training.
- In Spite of a Nail:
- Gaara gets the same nickname as in canon.
- Itachi still goes rogue despite the changes that have occurred by then.
- Sasuke still has an avenger complex waiting to be triggered despite not seeing his whole clan get killed or being mind-raped by Itachi.
- Naruto and Konohamaru's interaction is almost exactly the same despite Naruto being supposedly a foreign ninja when the meet.
- The Insomniac: Gaara, as usual.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Tsunade, after having Naruto & co. get all cleaned up:
Tsunade: My, what pretty little...[recognizes Naruto's whiskers, Gaara's eye rings, Hinata & Neji's eyes, Sakura's pink hair]...chil...dren...[flops into her seat] I NEED A DRINK. NOW.
Shizune: I knew that you wouldn't want to drink in front of the children, so I've made some lemonade!
- I Owe You My Life: Hakumei believe in calling in any and all life-preserving favors they've been presented with.
- I Shall Taunt You: Sai, always.
- Irony: Neji thinks it's weird to fight alongside Gai and Lee.
- It's Personal: Sasuke always disliked Yumi, but when she nearly kills Sakura in the Chuunin Exams he declares a blood feud against her clan. Which is also his clan.
- Jerkass: Yumi, Gato and Sora. Surprisingly, the Sound nin behave themselves outside of battle.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Zabuza would rather be fighting... but given the chance to honestly help, he can be talked/guilted into it. Kiba has been raised on Danzou's propaganda, but deep down his heart's in the right place.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: In Chapter 32, Yumi murders Hana in order to unlock her Mangekyou Sharingan.
- Kick the Dog: Sora tries to kill Dosu in their preliminary match even after the match is called. Yumi does it pretty much whenever she talks.
- Kick the Morality Pet: As You Know, gaining the Mangekyou Sharingan means killing the person closest to you. Hana Inuzuka is pretty much the only living person in-story that Yumi is comparatively nice that isn't an Uchiha. So...
- Killed Off for Real: The Third Hokage, Minato, Kushina, Hizashi, several Uchiha, Hiashi, and Hana.
- Lady Macbeth: The author notes that it is rare for a Naruto fanfic to have an evil Mikoto Uchiha in it.
- La Résistance: Kinen, to Danzou's regime.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Orochimaru has absolutely no idea what he's been up to for the past 13 years.
- Laser-Guided Tykebomb: Thanks to his actions, Danzo inadvertently forms Hakumei, who seek to destroy him. Tsunade even points it out. Considering that Akatsuki is one of the reasons that Naruto and Gaara are Jinchuuriki,they also count toward them as well.
- Last of His Kind: Kimimaro is the last of the Kaguya clan and the first to have their Bloodline Limit in a long time. It does not seem to bother him.
- Let's Fight Like Gentlemen: It was highly probable that members of Hakumei would fight one another in the Chuunin Exams, but for their fight, Naruto and Haku set their own victory conditions—Taijutsu only, with a five minute time limit; whoever does the worst forfeits.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Naruto, Sasuke and Hinata are this to Iruka, Itachi and Hiashi, respectively, as the former's absence brings about drastic changes in the latter's lives; i.e., Iruka becomes bitter and jaded, Itachi falls out of favor with his family, and Hiashi gives up on the world.
- Mama Bear: Tsunami standing up to the goons that Gato sent after her and Inari.
- The Medic: Sakura, Hinata, and Haku fill this role for Hakumei. All of them have medical skills.
- Mêlée à Trois: The Kinen/Hakumei rebellion? It's on the same day as the Sound/Sand Invasion. Cue a three-way battle between the rebels, the invaders, and Danzo's forces. Things get messy quickly, and because no one planned for this, no one wins. All three sides take losses, but Hakumei and the exposed members of La Résistance have to cut and run, leaving Danzou still in power.
- The Mole: Ibiki is a member of Kinen, but he acts loyal to Danzo because his position is too important to Kinen's survival for him to be able to afford rebelling openly.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: The Inuzuka clan are loyal to Danzo simply because he's the Hokage. They're pretty decent people, but due to their animal pack mentality they don't question orders that seem to come from a legitimate authority.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Tsunade gives the kids some very badass nicknames, partly in the hopes they'll grow into them, partly to give them a treat, and largely to keep from using their surnames which are... conspicuous. Here are the characters' new full names as translated by the author:
- Sabaku no Gaara (Gaara of the Desert)
- Haka no Kimimaro (Kimimaro of the Tomb)
- Shin’en no Sai (Sai of the Abyss)
- Rasen no Neji (Neji of the Spiral)
- Hara no Haku (Haku of the Tundra)
- Gesshoku no Hinata (Hinata of the Lunar Eclipse)
- Nisshoku no Sakura (Sakura of the Solar Eclipse)
- Arashi no Sasuke (Sasuke of the Tempest)
- Shippuu no Naruto (Naruto of the Hurricane)
- Never Mess with Granny: Tsunade and Chiyo; the same as canon.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Good work running straight to Danzo with Hakumei's identities, Konohamaru.
- The Nicknamer: Tsunade gives the nine members of Hakumei their distinctive names.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Kimimaro likes telling weird stories, and reanimating his bones while they're not in his body, and freaking people out in general.
- Odd Friendship: Neji and Shikamaru. Haku and Deidara of all things.
- Off with His Head!: Kakashi does this to Gato. Later, Zabuza does this to Kisame.
- Oh, Crap!: The kids when, after escaping Danzo, Itachi finds them escaping Konoha in a merchant's cart. He gives a scroll to Sasuke and sends them on their way.
- Official Couple: Naruto and Hinata, Sasuke and Sakura. It's announced in the intro to the first chapter. In-story, Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura remain oblivious.
- Older Than They Look: Uchiha Yumi manages to fool everyone about her actual age, although most people think something is off about her.
- Omake: There are short scenes at the end of most chapters, mostly for fun with loose connections to the main story (though some are referenced in the story proper) including one that has Santa Claus make an appearance; as Naruto declares, he may be the greatest ninja in the world for sneaking past the Sannin.
- One-Man Army: Naruto and Gaara, for obvious reason. When Gaara sends a distress signal at the Hokage monument, it's a major Oh, Crap! moment.
- Papa Wolf: Hiashi faces off against the entire Uchiha clan to protect his children.
- Parental Neglect: Sasuke in the opening sequence.
- Parents as People: As it turns out, the reason why Hiashi disowned both Hinata and Neji is that Hinata is too gentle for the village elders to ever allow her to be clan leader and she would need protection, something that Neji could provide. Why he decided this when they were 6 and 7 years old is anyone's guess but for once, he wasn't motivated by spite.
- Primal Scene: One night, Gaara goes looking for something do with his insomnia-induced boredom and finds Jiraiya's library. Hilarity and mentally scarring imagery ensues.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!:
- Reign of Terror: Danzo runs the Village Hidden in the Leaves his way: a police state at home and backstabbing everyone he can get away with abroad. He replaces the regular ANBU with his ROOT forces and has them out in the open, and gives the Uchiha clan's Military Police nearly total free reign to do whatever they want. leaving the villagers living in a state of constant fear. Konoha's international reputation goes in the dumpster due to his "betray everyone before they can betray us" frenzy.
- The Rival: Kiba to Kimimaro, Yumi to Sakura and Sasuke, and Zabuza to Kisame.
- Running Gag:
- Run or Die: At the beginning of the story, the children are faced with these options after seeing the Hokage's death.
- Sadistic Choice: Yumi imposes one on Sasuke when she brings his mother into the street to convince him to stay in Konoha. It stalls him, right up until Hiashi shows up.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Iruka and Anko.
- Secret Identity: In Part Two, although with the twist that the kids use part of their real names when masked, and use false names and backgrounds while unmasked.
- Secret Project Refugee Family: Hakumei again. They are children on the run that bonded while running and living in hiding.
- To Digimon Tamers: Haku's surname is Akiyama and his pseudonym is Ryou.
- Shown Their Work: The author has extensive knowledge of Eastern cultures and it shows. For the sake of those who don't, she points it out in the author's notes.
- Spanner in the Works: Hakumei is this to the Sand/Sound invasion. Although they don't win the fight (for reasons explained in Bittersweet Ending), four out of nine of its members are recognized as the children that Konoha originally went to war to save. This means that not only will it get out that Konoha utterly failed to achieve its directives but their resources didn't even get their info right. Thus, Konoha's reputation takes a dive.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Kimimaro's terminal illness is caught early and cured by Tsunade. The Uchiha clan don't get massacred because Danzo secures their loyalty to him after he takes over. Haku joins the kids and avoids getting picked up by Zabuza, so he doesn't die on the bridge with him. Zabuza doesn't die on the bridge, either, for that matter.
- The Stations of the Canon: Granted, the events of the stations happen much differently, but the Wave and Chunin Exam arcs take up almost the entirety of part 2. Because those events are much different, it would be damned hard to follow the stations coming next, so ultimately averted.
- Stepford Smiler: Sai at the beginning. He still does the fake smiling thing, but now mostly when he's angry and doesn't want a normal person to notice.
- Stern Teacher: Although she does her share of mothering them, Tsunade has high standards for Hakumei and very firmly guides them.
- That Came Out Wrong: Zabuza has a moment like this when he rescues Yugito Nii during the Sound/Sand Invasion. In a twist, he doesn't say it aloud and it still comes out wrong.
This little chick was a little too sure of herself for him. He actually liked shy girls. Particularly when they were younger than him. Zabuza blinked as the thought occurred to him. Somehow...that didn't sound right...
- The Team:
- Technical Pacifist: As usual, if Haku can avoid it, he doesn't kill people.
- Teen Super Spy: Being the Good Counterpart to Akatsuki, Hakumei becomes a group of these. Damned proficient ones, too.
- Tell Me About My Father: Naruto learns about his family and his condition early on thanks to Tsunade.
- That Man Is Dead: Sasuke when confronting his mother.
"I won't be coming home again. It's too late. This is my life now. I...am not Uchiha Sasuke. My name is Arashi no Sasuke. The one who will break the power of the Uchiha clan."
- Theme Naming:
- Title Drop: Memorably in Chapter Six:
Tsunade: From this day on, you are Hakumei, the twilight of your enemies. You will call yourselves that, or I won’t teach you.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Sakura and Hinata.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: While he never stops being who he is, Iruka misses Naruto when he escapes and it shows. He warms back up when he returns.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Sasuke really, really likes tomatoes.
- True Companions:
- The group that gives the fic its name. Tsunade calls them the "assorted mudpuppies" when she's not calling them "Hakumei."
- The Legendary Sannin used to be this. One of the first things Tsunade does once she takes the kids in is tell them the history of her "family" and warn them not to make the same mistakes.
- Zabuza muses that Hakumei's bond with each other is similar to the bond the Seven Swordsmen once had.
- Tsundere: Tsunade, Anko, and Zabuza are Type A. Sakura develops from a Shrinking Violet to a Type A.
- Tyrant Takes the Helm: Danzo. After six years of his rule, Konoha is practically unrecognizable.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom:
- Konohamaru runs to tell Danzo that some of Hakumei's members are the kids who disappeared six years earlier, not understanding that Danzo is the bad guy.
- Mikage Satoshi gives the signal to start the Sand/Sound invasion way too early. To be fair to him, though, someone did trip on the stairs at just the right place (which was the signal for him to give his signal).
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Sasuke's case of this leads eventually to enough frustration that he runs away. Returning as a member of Hakumei gives him an outsider's perspective on his family that makes him wonder why he wanted the parental approval in the first place.
- Whip It Good: Yumi's element allows her to control the metal whip she uses.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Hakumei, Shino, Hanabi and Gamakichi.
- White Mask of Doom: When the kids begin acting as Hakumei in Part Two, they wear full-face white masks with the kanji of their codenames on the forehead, as shown in the fanart that serves as the page image and the rest of that artist's Hakumei pictures.
- You Are What You Hate: Both Sasuke and Itachi hate what the Uchiha clan have become. Both of them state that they plan to destroy it.
- You Shall Not Pass:
- Gaara holds back the majority of Danzo's counterattack forces with a little help from the Nara clan at the Hokage monument.
- Hiashi holds off the entire Uchiha clan to cover Hakumei and Kinen's retreat.