Fanfic / A Pony Out of Place
A Pony Out of Place
is a crossover/romance fanfic between My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
. It is published on FIMFiction here
and written by Ausbrony
When Dialga and Palkia start to attack one another in Alamos Town, a Ponyta named Flare Blitz is caught in the crossfire. After falling into the dimensional rift, he finds himself in a strange new land filled with brightly colored ponies. Flare doesn't know how he got here or if he can even get back home... The question is, will he even want to go home?
Now has a completed sequel, entitled Flames and Twilight
A Pony Out of Place contains examples of:
- Accidental Pervert: Twilight gives Flare a massage after the race, not realizing the book she's going by is intended for couples. Hilarity Ensues.
- Allergic to Love: Twilight goes to see Nurse Redheart, complaining of increased heart rate, sweating and a foggy head, and that they started shortly after Flare rescued Twilight and others from a snake monster. It doesn't take Redheart long to figure out the cause.
- Baby Carriage: The day of his arrival in Ponyville, Flare saves the Cake twins from rolling over a cliff, using his Quick Attack to catch up to them.
- Behind the Black/Failed a Spot Check: Much like in “Fall Weather Friends”, Twilight fails to notice the large crowd of spectators until Pinkie points them out to her.
Pinkie: All right everypony! Let's all give a hoof to our two competitors!
Twilight: Pinkie? Who the hay are you talking to?
Pinkie: (pointing) Them.
Twilight: One of these days... I'm going to learn not to ask.
- Brought Down to Normal/Equinity Ensues: Variant: On arriving in Equestria, Flare is turned from a tall flame-haired Ponyta to a regular Earth Pony of the same colouring, and he loses access to his fire-type attacks at first, though keeping Quick Attack, Tackle and Double Kick. He also loses his weakness against water and comes to really love baths.
- Averted in the revision: Flare keeps his firey mane and tail and his fire attacks.
- Big "WHAT?!":
Twilight: And the other day, well… we figured it out. How to get you home that is.
Flare: Well that’s grea- wait. What!?
- Combat Commentator: Pinkie and Luna during the Flare/Arceus battle, the latter having somehow played Pokemon Black Version on DS.
- Changed in the revision to Luna doing some studying up about Flare's world in order to overcome her own fears.
- Crowd Song: In Chapter 6 of the revision Flare sang the theme song of The Greatest American Hero with the rest Ponyville and the Mane 6 sang along.
- Cuteness Overload: Flare's reaction to Fluttershy, as described by the chapter title.
- In the revision, after Flutershy's yay, Flare admits between Dinky, Twilight and Fluttershy, he thinks he'll die from this trope.
- Deadly Upgrade: Averted in the nick of time. Flare's evolution into a Rapidash also gives him access to unicorn magic. Sadly, as a Pokemon, his body is incompatible with such powers and will kill him painfully if something isn't done. This is safely averted through Arceus and Celestia transforming him into a unicorn.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Flare doesn't actually defeat Arceus, but puts up enough of a fight that he agrees to let him stay.
- Eleventh Hour Superpower: Flare evolves into a Rapidash during the Solar Run, which gives him both the speed boost he needs and access to Unicorn Magic.
- Embarrassing Nickname: For most of the story Flare was called “Demon Pony of Ponyville” because of his appearance.
“So you’re the famous Demon Pony of Ponyville huh?” Fiddlesticks smiled and Flare groaned before applying his hoof to his face. That blasted title will never leave.
- Exact Words/Loophole Abuse: Because Flare won the Solar Run as a Rapidash rather than a Ponyta, Arceus goes back on his agreement.
- Full-Name Ultimatum: Cadance gives one to “Shining Starsparkle Armor” after finding out that he picked a fight with a civillian.
- Go Through Me: Twilight, Shining Armor and Cadance, when Arceus attempts to take Flare home against his wishes. Celestia herself makes it clear that she will do the same if Flare passes the condition she sets for him remaining in Equestria.
- Honor Before Reason: In the original version, Flare refuses to tell his friends and competitors in the Solar Run what's at stake for him, because it's not a fair race if they drop out for his sake. The revision has him tell Rainbow Dash and Applejack while still insisting they give it everything they've got.
- Justifiably subverted when he willingly accepts Arceus's decision to handicap himself by not using Super Effective attacks or Judgement.
- I Choose to Stay: Flare. Arceus does not take it well.
- Lame Pun Reaction:
Flare Blitz: So are there any rules? Or just an all-out dash to the finish?
Rainbow Dash: Oh, hadeeharhar!
- Nice Guy: Flare Blitz.
- Noodle Implements: During Flare's race against Rainbow Dash, Pinkie's commentary mentions, out of nowhere, how “Mr. Cake took some rope and half the store's stock of whipped cream home with him,” causing the Cakes to turn “almost every shade of red on the colour spectrum.”
- The Prophecy: In Chapter 6 of the revision a Prophecy by Starswirl was written.
“Space, Time and Distortion, worlds beyond worlds and all are linked to the Creator
. Born form nothing and encompassing everything, the fate of light and darkness, the bearer and destined. The eternal nightmare
and the light of destiny. One born from the union of love and will, dreams given form and hope eternal.”
- Running Gag: Flare clinging to the ceiling whenever he's surprised by Pinkie Pie.
- Shipper on Deck: Cadance, who Twilight forbids from using any kind of spell to help them along.
- Shout-Out: Cloudkicker and Blossomforth make an appearance at Flare's welcome party.
- Dinky and Sparkler, too. Same universe.
- Sudden Name Change: The Giant Snake from Chapter 7 was change from an Ichneumon to an Titanoboa, a snake that existed roughly 60 million years ago.
- Surprise Party: Pinkie, naturally, throws one for Flare at Sugarcube Corner – curiously, no part of this plan actually involved having someone lead him there, Twilight just happened to take him there by coincidence. The surprise leads to Flare hanging from the rafters.
- The revised version has Pinkie hint that the party will be at Sugarcube Corner, but when Flare and the others go there to find it closed, they return to the library to find that Pinkie has set up the party there. In a matter of minutes.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Constantly during the Arceus/Flare battle, to the point where Pinkie wonders if Michael Neigh directed this chapter.
- Sweet and Sour Grapes: After he wins the Solar Run, Flare asks Celestia to grant the wishes of Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Vanilla Bean rather than his own wish to stay in Equestria. However, this is because he believes he's already fulfilled Arceus's condition for him remaining in Equestria.
- This Is Something He's Got to Do Himself: Flare refuses his friends' help fighting Arceus.
- Throwing Down the Gauntlet: In the original version, Rainbow Dash challenges Flare Blitz to race the minute they meet.
- Flare himself challenges Shining Armor, before finding out that he's Twilight's brother.
- Flare's challenge to Arceus after the Solar Run.
- Translator Microbes: In the revision, Twilight performs a translation spell so that Flare and the Equestrians can understand each other. The first version had him speaking and understanding Equestrian on arrival.
- Trapped in Another World
- Wham Episode: At the end of Chapter 10, Arceus arrives to bring Flare back to Sinnoh.
- Will They or Won't They?: Flare and Twilight.
Flames And Twilight contains examples of:
- Alchemy Is Magic: In the Epilogue, Flare's favor to Nightmare Moon is to bring her back to life in the form of a filly, losing the Alicorn Amulet forever and being given a new name.
- Armor-Piercing Slap/Megaton Punch: While hiding behind Celestia from an enraged Flare and Twilight, Discord notices that Celestia's flanks were larger than before. This causes Celestia to buck him into a wall before convincing Twilight and Flare to spare him.
- Berserk Button: Do not tell Celestia that she's gotten fat, as Discord learned the hard way when he attempted to hide behind her, and within the range of her hind legs, from Flare and Twilight.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: When Celestia declares that Flare and Luna are going to be punished for destroying most of the castle grounds, they both fearfully wonder what punishment is in store: Banishment? Imprisonment? Imprisonment in the place she would banish them to?
- Comes up again when Mocha Latte mentions what would happen if someone were to gave Pinky Pie coffee.
Mocha: “I’m sorry; the Princesses said it was best that the whole thing to be forgotten, and that giving that particular mare coffee again was punishable by banishment and then imprisonment in the place you were banished too.”
- Burning with Anger: Twilight's reaction when Virizion mistakenly attacks Flare, thinking she's defending Keldeo. Flare's response, naturally, is, "When… did my Twilight evolve into a Rapidash?"
- Big Bad: Darkrai.
- Call-Forward: While talking with Twilight, Flare theorises that ponies can become alicorns in a similar fashion to Pokemon evolution. Princess and Knight roleplaying ensues.
- Celestia also drops various hints about Twilight's destiny.
- Calling Your Attacks: After he learn to use his magic and how to infuse his Pokémon attacks with it. Flare called out his new attacks names.
- Darkrai also infuse his magic with his Pokémon attacks called out his attacks names.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Luna worries that Celestia's punishment for her and Flare destroying the castle grounds will be to have her games taken away. Instead, it's worse: no dessert.
Luna: (sadly) And tonight's cake night too.
- Cooldown Hug: Flare gives one to stop Twilight's Burning with Anger moment above.
- Deadly Upgrade: It appears Flare only has months left to live, as the effects from Darkrai's, Nightmare Moon's, and Mew's intervention on his body are causing him to slowly die. He doesn't know yet, but Twilight, Celestia, Dreamy, and Luna do.
- Dragged into Drag: When trying to find his Cutie Mark with The Cutie Mark Crusaders, Flare was almost force into an dress by Sweetie Belle but it was stop when The Cutie Mark Crusaders start to argue and he bailed on them.
- Eleventh Hour Superpower: Two cases. He bonds with Nightmare Moon to combat Darkrai at first. This proves to be effective, but when he nearly dies, Mew then grants him every move in his moveset to fully put Darkrai away.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Per Word of God, Twilight really likes the pet name "Fairy" that Flare gave her. But then there was that time he accidentally said it in public...
- Evil Overlooker: In "A Flame Once Lost" An shadow watched and cursed silently as Trixie left Ponyville. Later in that same thing the same shadow watched Virizion and Keldeo vanished back to their world and makes the third phrase of his plan.
- It was later revival that in "Love is Chaos" it's Darkrai.
- First-Name Basis: Flare reaches this with Celestia and Luna.
- Fusion Dance: In "Chaos Rising Part Two", Flare and Nightmare Moon become Knightmare Nova after Flare puts on the Alicorn Amulet.
- I Choose to Stay: In the Epilogue, Flare's friends, Sapphira, Lucy, and Velvet decided to stay in Equestria with Flare for different reasons; Sapphira wants to stay because she'll have to bail Flare out of trouble. Lucy wants to stay because so she'll get three meals and nap time and she don’t really care where she go. Velvet wants to stay because he want's to see the fashion, theatre, music, and staying with his friends.
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: Set up but subverted when Shining pulls Flare in for a friendly hug after learning that he's dating Twilight. Double Subverted when he tells Flare that he's obligated and required to threaten to have him gelded and quarted if he hurts her.
- I'll Never Tell You What I'm Telling You: Flare admits to calling Twilight ”my little Element of Harmony” (changed to Sparkle Fairy in the revision) in this manner.
- Innocent Innuendo: Twilight and Flare's first night as a couple.
Flare: Are you sure you want to do this so soon? I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable.
Twilight: No, this is something I’ve wanted to do for a very long time. (Looks down and gasps in surprise) I didn’t think it would be so big though.
Flare: Well what did you expect? And I’m so happy right now; I could keep going all night.
Twilight: Don’t make promises you can’t keep.
- They're talking about reading a huge book together.
- More Than Mind Control: In "Love is Chaos" Discord hypnotized Flare to made him think that Rainbow Dash was Twilight.
- Non Sequitur, Thud: In the Epilogue, after Flare brought Nightmare Moon back to life as a Filly this happens.
Flare looked up, his eyes swirling a bit
. “Hey there, Fairy~ ♫Doo doo do doooo♪! Fairy learned Double Team!” Flare giggled as Twilight sighed. Yeah, he was fine.
- Relationship Upgrade: Flare and Twilight, at the end of “Of Suns, Moons and Stars”
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Darkrai. After he's revealed to have escaped, the repeated failures of such seals in canon (Discord, Nightmare Moon and Sombra) is lampshaded by Celestia.
- Ship Tease: When Discord teasingly tells Celestia to stop eating so much cake upon seeing her larger flanks, he asked if she missed him, causing Celestia to blush. Although it is not clear if she blushed because she did miss him or because she was ashamed of her weight gain, her response to the inquiry was to buck him into a wall before talking to Flare and Twilight.
- Shout-Out: Mention is made of the Kicker Clan, a prestigious Pegasus family, mostly connected with the military.
- Flare uses the courting ritual involving flowers introduced in Xenophilia.
- Taking You with Me: In "Chapter Nine – Darkness before the Dawn", After Darkrai realize He had lost He said this.
Darkrai: If this is to be my end, so be it! BUT I’LL TAKE YOU ALL WITH ME!
- The Man Behind the Man: In "A Prelude of Things to Come" Darkrai is revealed to be working for a more evil creature who then drained the life from Darkrai because he failed the creature twice now.
- Unskilled, but Strong: When Flare explains how Twilight Blaze works to Celestia, she explains how surprising it is that Flare can use such an advanced ability like that and not even realize how difficult it really should be. She also explains that while it's possible to infuse magical power into one’s physical prowess, it is both difficult and dangerous to do so.
- Villain Song: In "Chaos Rising Part Two", Chrysalis and some of her Changelings sang a parody of Under the Sea.
- Voice of the Legion: Knightmare Nova has the voices of Flare and Nightmare Moon speaking at once.
- Wham Episode: In "Home Sweet Home", Darkrai is revealed to be working with Sombra and someone else (later confirmed to be Chrysalis) to take over Equestria, and he sends Flare and (by accident) Sparkler to Kanto to keep him out of the way.
- Wham Line: In "Chaos Rising Part One":
Zecora: You have threatened my friends and borne witness to this form. Now you face Equestria's other Pokemon: for I am the embodiment of lightning. I am Zebstrika!