John Daniel "Jack" Torrance (Jack Nicholson)
- Abusive Parents: Jack's father was a violent Domestic Abuser, who also beat up his kids regularly. Jack himself also accidentally broke Danny's arm — while trying to spank him for misbehaving.
- Meaningful Name: His first and middle name is Jack Daniel and he's an alcoholic. The first drink he has in both the movie and miniseries is Jack Daniels.
- Nice Guy: Before his Alcoholism took over.
- Parental Favoritism: Jack was his father's favorite, though he still beat him regularly. Jack still loved him as best he could, even when the rest of the family began to hate him.
- Tragic Villain: More so in the book, but still the case in both.
- Weapon of Choice: A roque mallet (an axe in the movie).
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: He's portrayed sympathetically. His turn to Ax Craziness is tragic AND terrifying.
Winnifred "Wendy" Torrance (Shelley Duvall)
- Abusive Parents: Her mother abused her emotionally.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Wendy is blonde in the novel, but has black hair in the movie.
Daniel Anthony "Danny" Torrance (Danny Lloyd)
Richard "Dick" Hallorann (Scatman Crothers)
- Psychic Powers: Same as Danny. They can communicate even without talking simply by thoughts.
Delbert Grady (Philip Stone)
- Affably Evil: Incredibly polite, charming and personable. But then he did off his family before offing himself.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: He is a vile racist and misogynist because being a murderer apparently wasn't evil enough.