"If you're living high on that cheap credit hog
Don't look for a cure from the hair of the dog."
Are you hung over? Did you forget to drink water before bed? Do you wish to avoid the Hideous Hangover Cure
? All that is no problem, no problem at all: here's some of whatever it was you drank last night! Your hangover will be over in no time flat!
A classic remedy for the hangover, insofar as it dulls your ability to feel the effects of the hangover. Of course, all it does is delay the hangover by a couple of hours.
The name of the trope
is of course traditional: it derives from the (entirely false) superstition that if you were bitten by a dog, you could avoid rabies by applying the hair of the dog that bit you to the wound.
This is Truth in Television
, to some degree; as said before, it's not so much a cure as a mask. The best way to go about it is to keep drinking, but drink lots of water as well, to allow your body to rehydrate itself.
- In an issue of the comic version of ALF, Gordon dreams that he hang-glides, landing in Death Valley instead of his intended destination. A bartender offers him "hair of the cat that bit him", which he gratefully accepts. (Only to discover that neither the bartender nor the bar exist, and the drink is sand.)
- Angelina Jolie's character in the film Life Or Something Like It is offered this the morning after having presented a news report blind drunk.
- A Christmas Story On Christmas morning the Old Man is rubbing his head and grimacing as if he has a hangover. Apparently a morning bottle of wine is a Christmas tradition at Ralphie's house. After a glass of wine he is back to his usual self.
- In the film version of The Shining, Jack sits at the bar and asks the (ghost) bartender for "the hair of the dog that bit me".
- Occurs in Jeeves and Wooster a couple of times with Gussie ... leading him to make a few truly awful speeches/mistakes.
- In the musical Cabaret there is a scene with Cliff and Sally concocting a Hair of the Dog cocktail that includes a raw egg. When staged, if the audience can see that a real egg is used their response is often loud and visceral.
- In The Curse of Monkey Island, some of the 'hair of a dog that bit ya' is part of a hangover cure. Literally. And you'd better have the toothmarks to prove it.
- There is a quest in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate that is actually called Hair of the Dog, and consists of collecting several Slagtoth Oils to cure a hangover.
- In A Bug's Life, two bugs toast each other with "hair of the dog you bit".
- Archer claims that he can never stop drinking because he is constantly drinking away the effects of his previous drinking, and if he quits cold turkey, the cumulative hangover will kill him.
- The page quote comes from Econ Stories video Fear the Boom and Bust where F.A. Hayek likens the Keynesian model to irresponsible overindulgence. Keynes is hung over in bed at this point after a night of partying and bragging about his approach.
- During a joint review of Garzey's Wing, one line of dialog is so mind-breakingly stupid that it kills Spoony. A less stupid line a moment later causes him to pop back to life. In response to his confusion, Bennett the Sage responds "Hair of the dog?"
- Cocktails in the Corpse Reviver family were originally designed to make the morning after a little less painful.
- Although this isn't normally a good idea, this is how you treat alcohol withdrawal (although with a smaller amount). It's also one accepted treatment for methanol poisoning, the idea being that it sidetracks the liver and prevents the production of the toxic metabolites that make methanol so nasty.