"I MUST SOMEHOW MAKE SENSE OF OUR CONVOLUTED SITUATION!"
- ChrisTales of Byston Well: Garzey's Wing
is a three-episode OVA
created by Yoshiyuki Tomino
fame, and produced by JC Staff
and BMG Japan. It was released in 1996, and is a Spin-Off
of the older Aura Battler Dunbine
, despite taking place in the world's past.
The story centers around Christopher Senshu, a half-Japanese, half-Caucasian
young man out of high school who is seeking entry to college. One day after an argument with his friend, a motorcycle ride leads Chris past the Shiratori shrine, and his eight-bell necklace starts to rattle. Suddenly out of nowhere, he is struck by a giant, glowing goose spirit, and swept away into the world of Byston Well. But he has no time to get his bearings. Instead he is swept immediately into the conflict between the Metomeus Tribe and the Ashigaba Army, who have until now kept them enslaved. As it turns out, Chris has been summoned by the priestess Hassan to be the legendary holy warrior, Garzey's Wing
. This role grants him the power of glowing wings that appear from his ankles
and allow flight
. Because of the shrine he passed, however, he is convinced this must all be the work of the spirit of Yamato Takeru no Mikoto.
But things aren't even that simple. Chris hasn't been transported wholly to Byston Well; only his spirit has, splitting him into a separate existence while his physical body remains in the real world. The two soon discover the ability to communicate via the bell necklace, and as Chris struggles with the conflict he's been thrust into, his real self must search for ways to help him there, and hopefully find a way to reunite mind and body.Garzey's Wing
received a stateside release and dub by the US Manga Corps division of Central Park Media
, which must be heard to be believed
This anime provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Leelince.
- Aloof Ally: Giant Tawrad.
- Alternate DVD Commentary: By Chip Cheezum as part of their Anime Theater. It can be viewed here.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy
- But Not Too Foreign: Chris.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: When Chris is transported to the other world, he asks if The Narrator is a ghost.
- The Chosen One: Chris, apparently.
- Drugs Are Bad: Chris warns that drugs are "a bit dangerous."
- Dull Surprise: Some of the voice acting in the English dub leaves a lot to be desired.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: The Ashigaba Army rides dinosaurs known as War Beasts.
- Fairy Companion: Falan Fa, a ferario that gets caught in Chris's necklace between the real world and Byston Well.
- Fantastic Drug: The powder used to calm war beasts can serve as this.
- Give Me a Sword: Leelince throws swords at Chris twice when the one he's using breaks. Once he actually circles around to get it, but the other time it winds up ignored.
- How Do I Shot Web?: Figuring out how to use the Garzey's Wing power isn't so easy.
- I Meant to Do That: Chris claims this when he falls off a horse.
- Informed Attribute: Rumiko informs us that Chris is so easy-going. He doesn't really act like it.
- Naked First Impression: Not the usual way - rather, Chris shows up nude in Byston Well, and has to fight that way for a bit.
- No Indoor Voice: EVERYONE in the dub.
- Non Sequitur: Many lines come off this way.
- Off Model: While most of the animation is fine enough, in places things are pretty awkward-looking.
- Our Fairies Are Different: Ferarios, little winged fairies from Kastunga Hill. They're widely viewed as mischievous tricksters.
- Power Gives You Wings
- Powers in the First Episode
- Ptero Soarer
- Refusal of the Call: Chris definitely tries to. It doesn't work very well.
- Ronin: Chris is the trying-for-college-entrance type.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Chris's real world self tries to get the one caught in Byston Well to make gunpowder, assuming he'd just be able to get the materials needed for it. As it turns out, an equivalent already exists in the form of gada powder.
- Translator Microbes: Chris remarks on how he can understand the Metomeus Tribe despite them speaking another language.
- Trapped in Another World
- Trick Arrow: The Metomeus Tribe gets the idea from Chris to dip their arrows in explosive gada powder, and later the drug powder used to calm War Beasts.
- Unicorn: Having a forehead horn seems to be usual for the horses in this world.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: All over the place.
- Wrecked Weapon: Chris breaks two swords in the course of combat, and also snaps the string of an old bow.