Heartwarming: The Shining
- Mr. Hallorann in the book. He storms back from Florida to Colorado, risking his life several times,braving threats both natural(like a terrible snowstorm) & supernatural(like an extremely pissed-off & malevolent entity trying it's best to keep him away) to help a little boy in danger. What makes this even more heartwarming is that Danny is not a relative of Hallorann, nor a long time acquaintance. But Hallorann comes anyway, because he feels he can't abandon Danny.
- Meta example: During the filming of the movie, Stanley Kubrick actually went to great lengths to ensure that Danny Lloyd (the child actor who played Danny Torrance) wasn't disturbed by the grisly content of the movie in any way. During scenes where Danny had to look scared, for instance, Kubrick would tell Lloyd to go through a wide range of facial expressions, and he wouldn't tell him that his expression of terror was the only one that would wind up in the movie. In other scenes, like the one where Jack chases Danny through the hedge maze, he would just outright lie about why Danny was supposed to be running, saying things like "Danny and his father are playing hide and seek!" In the end, Kubrick did such a good job of it that Lloyd didn't even find out that The Shining was a horror film until about seven years after he starred in it, when he watched it as a teenager. Considering Kubrick doesn't exactly have a reputation for being gentle to his actors, knowing that he was so protective of a child actor is pretty damn heartwarming.
- In the book, Jack momentarily overcomes the influence of the hotel to tell Danny that he loves him, but ends up being possessed by the ghosts of the hotel, and dies when the boiler explodes. In the miniseries however, Jack manages to overcome the hotel's influence and deliberately set off the boiler, destroying the Overlook, defeating the ghosts, and redeeming himself.
- Add to the end of the miniseries that a now adult Danny sees his father one last time, saying he's proud of him.
- The parental relationship between the Torrances and Danny, its made clear that they truly love their son. Which just makes it even worse when the hotel ends up taking over Jack and turning him into a monster.
This page has not been indexed. Please choose a satisfying and delicious index page to put it on.