Characters: School Days
An obvious work in progress, but long overdue. Could use some work on the characters from the sequels.For characters who are mentioned/related but don't actually make an appearance in the games please see Characters in Overflow Universe
open/close all folders
Voiced by: Daisuke Hirakawa
- Alas, Poor Yorick: The final scene of the anime, with Kotonoha sailing off into the sunset with Makoto's head.
- Anything That Moves: Has officially qualified for this trope as of the Cross Days sequel in the game series: pretty girls his age? Check. Their beautiful young mothers? Check. Their thirteen year old sisters?. Double Check. Adorable young BOYS who are just as beautiful if not more so than his girlfriend(s)? Triple Check. Thank goodness he hasn't yet shown sexual interest in farm animals or senior citizens.
- Asshole Victim: Come on, you know you were celebrating when he got killed in Episode 12.
- The Atoner : Makoto tries to be this at the end of the Manga only to be way too late due to him being hospitalized.
- He also tries this in the anime. After realizing the damage he has done to Kotonoha, he commits to her fully in order to make up for his mistakes. Unfortunately, the methods he used to break up with Sekai were harsh to say the least.
- Only in Yuki's route in Cross Days does he change midway instead of at the end, for obvious reasons.
- Berserk Button: He absolutely loathes bullying. See Bully Hunter and Even Jerks Have Standards.
- Big "NO!": Makoto, at the end of the Valentine Days OVA, when he finds out the huge box of chocolates he received were not from Setsuna but from Taisuke. Upon discovery, not only does Taisuke get surrounded by Bishie Sparkles but he cannot hide his shyness in his now extremely feminine face.
- Broken Pedestal: To Otome. Her feelings for Makoto are based on her image of him from back when they were in Junior High. She's quite heartbroken when she realizes how much of a Jerk Ass he's become.
- Bully Hunter: One of his few unequivocally positive qualities. He protects Kotonoha from Otome and her Girl Posse in one game ending, gets beaten up to defend Yuki in Cross Days, and apparently Setsuna fell for him because he once protected her from some bullies.
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin' : Taken to its logical extreme; Makoto is caught every time he tries to secretly nail a girl. Even lampshaded with a bit of Setsuna's reflection, which most people missed.
- The Casanova
- Chick Magnet: In the OVAs, where he seems mostly oblivious to everyone's attraction to him.
- Death by Sex
- Death by Woman Scorned: It's amazing that he's not a Trope Codifier for this seeing how Sekai infamously offs him in a game ending and in the anime ending.
- Depraved Bisexual / Anything That Moves: In Cross Days, in which his feelings for Yuuki can potentially bring the best out of him.
- Did Not Get the Girl: All endings that aren't the true ending concerning Yuki's route. In some Cross Day endings if Yuki continues to pursue him, he starts falling in love with "Yu". However, if Yuki pursue another girl or can't overcome his fear of Makoto might not liking him, then Yuki can make "Yu" disappear forever. That means the one girl he dedicates himself vanishes without a trace and he's stuck with Kotonoha.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Makoto◊ is shown with these eyes in a scene of Cross Days.
- Dull Surprise: He apparently lacks facial expression unless things are getting too stressful. A good example is one of the bad endings of the original game: he watches Kotonoha murdering Sekai with a saw, and his look to Kotonoha immediately afterwards is one of vague bemusement. Thankfully they fixed this in HQ.
- Even Jerks Have Standards: He hates bullying. If he catches you bullying someone, he'll call you out on it. In fact, given that School Days has very few other people who act like this, this is strongly implied to be the reason so many girls fall for him in the first place: he once protected Setsuna from bullies, causing her to fall for him; he's one of the few people in school who's nice to Kotonoha; Sekai frequently witnessed Makoto being nice, etc.
- In the true ending of Cross Days, he is disgusted at Taisuke who continues to gang bang Yuki. He stands up to him but gets beaten up as a result.
- There's an interesting subversion in School Days and School Days HQ with Taisuke. In some of the routes, Makoto can witness Kotonoha being bullied far earlier than the lunch box incident at the end. Specifically, during the festival day, Makoto can witness Otome and her posse making fun of Kotonoha for supposedly having lied about Makoto being her boyfriend. If Makoto doesn't call them out at this point, Taisuke of all people will do so instead. The subversion in this case is that the "standards" lead to the "evil," since it's only in routes where Taisuke calls out the bullies that he ends up raping Kotonha, due to the bullies telling him that girls like forceful men.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Everyone wants him and we mean everyone. LOL, Taisuke and Yuuki from Cross Days.
- Everything but the Girl: Failing to get the true ending for Yuki's route results in this because either Yuki stops cross dressing and "Yu" is never seen again or Yuki's gender is revealed and he runs away before Makoto can confess his true feelings.
- Freudian Excuse: His parents are divorced note and his mother is always busy with work as a nurse, so a few abandonment issues might be there. Compare to his half-brother Ayumu Inou who was repeatedly raped by Asagi Inou (his aunt) since childhood and pretty much turned into a sex beast before rescued by his sister, Kagura, Shun Hazama whose mother, Hatsuka, although a loving mother herself, seems to prefer Tomaru over her son's opinion or decision or even Kei Ogata physically and psychologically tormented by their father, later blackmailed into relationship with Midori Nagawa or Yumi Matou (both may Love Redeems in their true path).
- Handsome Lech: In the anime, he has few redeeming qualities other than his looks.
- Heel Face Door Slam: In the anime. After realizing he pushed Kotonoha into the Despair Event Horizon, Makoto attempts to finally do right by her. Unfortunately, this also involved being an utter asshole to Sekai, resulting in her killing him.
- Hidden Eyes: Displayed by him a few times.
- Heroic Bastard: Judging from the fact that he has his mother's surname and that his father is using Tomoe's surname (in order to inherit Tomoe's fortune), it can be presumed he and Itaru were born out of wedlock.
- Hyper Awareness: In the true ending of Yuki's route, he realizes quickly that Kotonoha is not the most stable girl and keeps his relationship with Yuki a secret. It's also hinted that he plans on having her see a therapist after his conversation with Yuki because he wants to make Kotonoha the last person he hurt with his jerkass ways.
- Idiot Hair: Rather fittingly.
- If It's You, It's Okay: In good ending of Yuki Route, he has reasonably (for School Days) healthy relationship with him. In Cross Days manga however, he comes of as Depraved Bisexual, being willing to have a threesome with Yuki and Sekai, despite knowing he's a guy. After Yuki punches him out for trying to rape Roka.
- I Love You Because I Can't Control You: An interpretation of his feelings for Yuki. Because Yuki hates his guts at the beginning, he's immune to wanting to get banged by him. As a result, he has to work to get "Yu" to pay attention to him. He then falls in love with "her".
- Incest Is Relative: Is (probably unknowingly) related to both Sekai and Setsuna via both his father and his half brother Shun, via multiple generations of incest, technically making them his half-nieces at least. He is also related to the Nijou sisters via said half-brother as well, who is also their father.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Can end up having sex with Sekai and Setsuna's mothers, Youko and Mai, who are his half-sisters.
- Insecure Love Interest: Starts out as one to Kotonoha. It takes Sekai's prodding to get the two of them together.
- In the Blood: Makoto follows his father's footsteps in sexing up as many people as he can; some Overflow games shares the universe with School Days, and Tomaru Sawagoe is in most of them, in fact he started about 4 different big families by himself, and then made some more with his own offsprings...
- This becomes even more pronounced when you realize he is related to about anywhere from a fourth to a third of the people he can end up with. Much like his father, he has a thing for sleeping with his own family (though in his case, it is usually unknowingly).
- Ironic Name: "Makoto" can translate to "truth", "sincerity", "fidelity".
- Jerk Ass: BIG TIME in the anime. Also in the Cross Days manga. In the visual novel it's dependent on the player's choices.
- Karma Houdini: Averted most of time. But in the Cross Days manga, he gets away with womanizing and trying to rape Roka. And since both Sekai and Kotonoha are fine with not being his only girlfriend, it doesn't seem like he's going to have problems there anytime soon. On the plus side, Yuki and Roka get their own happy ending and wash their hands of the whole sordid affair.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: In one of the routes, Makoto takes a pause in between all the girl posse and stands up for Kotonoha when he catches Otome and Co. bullying her. Yeah, he thinks with his cock and all, but not even he likes it when Kotonoha is at the mercy of four girls who want to make her suffer.
- Ladykiller in Love: Concerning Yuki. This does not apply to the female characters because he always bounces back and forth between them no matter what.
- Love at First Punch: Guess how he first met Yuki? He met the male Yuki first when he punched him in the face for cheating on Kotonoha. He ignores that part but then he meets his alter ego and falls for "her".
- Love Redeems: In the true ending of Cross Days, he is willing to get beaten up by Taisuke's thugs to make sure that Yu is okay at the end. He even goes as far as telling Yuki that nothing matters anymore as long as he's with him. Naturally, this is the only ending where he redeems his cheating ways. Of course, he cannot tell Kotonoha about him dating Yuki because he KNOWS she'll go yandere on him.
- Loves My Alter Ego: In Cross Days, he's more interested in "Yu" than Yuki no matter what route it is. However, he falls for "her" even more in Yuki's route.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Played straight for all the drama and angst it's worth.
- Memetic Sex God: A rare in universe example at that, he proceeds to have sex with nearly every girl in his class. The last three do it just because they wonder what all the fuss is about. At the same time. Of their own initiative.
- It's taken to new heights in Summer Days and Shiny Days, where he can have sex with Kokoro, Kotonoha's 13-year old sister (who looks like seven), Kotonoha's mom, Sekai's mom, and Setsuna's mom.
- And now, thanks to Cross Days and the new Gay Option (Yuuki), Makoto is no longer just after every girl, but everything that moves.
- The School Days game even provides rare justification for the memetic status: apparently Makoto is' really and genuinely good in bed, meaning it's very pleasurable for women to have sex with him. The optional Hikari route basically happens solely for that reason: Makoto has sex with Hikari and Hikari finds out how good Makoto is at it, so Hikari gets more serious with him.
- Multi-Way Sex: Let's make some lists here.
- Original game: with Kotonoha and Sekai.
- Summer/Shiny Days: with the Nijou twins; with Otome and Karen; with Sekai and Youko.
- Cross Days: with Hikari, Nanami, and Roka.
- Nice Guy: In contrast to his anime portrayal, Makoto can be played more or less like this in the visual novel. This is also a pretty accurate description of him in the original manga. Not in the Cross Days manga, though. God no.
- Not Quite the Right Thing: Even when he tries to do the right thing, it backfires on him. Playing the game entirely devoted to one girl will cause the other to become lonely and depressed, and they'll start guilting hardcore on him despite the fact that he's actually tried not to lead them on.
- Off with His Head!: The official anime ending reveals that Kotonoha decapitated him after stumbling across his corpse in the apartment. She's last seen cradling his head against her chest while setting sail at sea.
- Only Sane Man: Apparently Makoto is one of the nicest and most normal members of his family. And THAT is saying something.
- Apparently, he's quite the homemaker and housekeeper, as well as a doting brother. Makoto's a good guy when his hormones aren't clouding his judgement.
- Ordinary High-School Student
- The Pornomancer: For an otherwise unspectacular person, girls seem magnetically drawn to him. Pretty much the only girl who never shows interest in him is the already-attached Nanami, but that gets thrown out the window in Cross Days. Damn.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Yuki's blue.
- Shotgun Wedding: Parodied in Summer/Shiny Days, After his sexual act with Otome and Karen is exposed to the entire Katou's family, Makoto is allowed to court them but not before being beaten up. For an extra bonus, the ending is named "Son in-law's Ritual".
- Stalker with a Crush: Becomes one towards Yuuki. At least at first.
- This Loser Is You: Pretty much what everyone seems to forget in regards to the games: Most of Makoto's worst actions are directly initiated by the player.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Anime adaptation. Cross Days Manga manages to outdo the anime.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Amusingly averted in possible ending in Summer Days. It doesn't technically count as an official ending since the player has to massively screw up for this to happen, and it's treated as black comedy and deliberately out-of-character anyway so it's more of a joke ending, but there's a possibility that Makoto will wake up tied to a chair, courtesy of Setsuna's mother, so that Setsuna can show her love by using a whip on Makoto.
- Tragic Hero: Manga. He genuinely cares about both Sekai and Kotonoha, but his Fatal Flaw of not being able to choose between them and carrying on a simultaneous relationship would not be resolved until it is too late (Kotonoha unintentionally wounds Makoto while trying to attack Sekai and while he was in the hospital Sekai kills Kotonoha). This, however, is in direct contrast to the complete fuckwad he is in the Anime and in the Cross Days Manga.
- Depending on the player's choices, he can be like this in the game, too. Like the manga, but unlike the anime, Makoto is portrayed as a good person whose fatal weakness is that he's indecisive. The tragic part can be subverted if the player gets a good ending, or Makoto's fatal weakness can result in either Kotonoha committing suicide-by-fall, Sekai's throat getting slashed with a chainsaw, Makoto himself being stabbed with a knife, or in School Days HQ one of the trio getting run over by a train.
- Wingding Eyes: In the ~Magical Heart Kokoro-chan~ OVA, Makoto and Taisuke sport big shiny gold starbursts in their eyes in their ecstatic response to the arrival of the Anonymous Defence Service.
- Your Cheating Heart: Defines this trope.
Voiced by: Tae Okajima
- Alliterative Name
- All of the Other Reindeer: Kotonoha is the victim of bullying from Otome and her Girl Posse from before the series starts, and it only gets worse when Otome learns about her being Makoto's girlfriend.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Makoto assumes she's one at first, since she certainly looks the part. Turns out she's just shy.
- Apologises a Lot
- Attractiveness Isolation: She's attractive enough that all the guys want her but none think they have a shot at getting her. This in turn causes the other girls in her class to ostracize her for being a "pheromone girl" that drives men mad with lust.
- Ax-Crazy: When she goes mad.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Do not bully The Ojou of your school. She'll go insane.
- Big Fancy House: Not including the Nice Boat. Or her huge tracts of land.
- Big Sister Instinct: In Summer Days, her reaction to Makoto banging Kokoro in very shady circumstances is grabbing her dad's golf club and hitting him upside the head. Too bad Kokoro intercedes in Makoto's favor and convinces Koto to forgive him.
- Bi the Way: During the Harem Ending of the game, Kotonoha gives Sekai a rather tender kiss after the Rooftop Sex scene between them and Makoto.
- Break the Cutie: The girl was already a victim of school bullying from before the story started. Then things go From Bad to Worse when Makoto starts cheating on her.
- Buxom Is Better: Deconstructed! Buxom is better at winning over boys in the School Days universe...which actually has terrible consequences for Kotonoha, since she hates the attention (it's a primary reason she's so shy in the present day) and her jealous female classmates spread ugly rumors about her deliberately "tempting" boys with her huge breasts, which makes Kotonoha's life much worse.
- Reconstructed somewhat if you pursue her in the game. She gains more confidence in her body, and when alone with Makoto, she'll gladly flaunt her assets for him and even uses them to smother him sometimes. But when pursuing Sekai or the other girls, she plays this straight but in a less positive way, where she tries using her body to win him over and in the Bavarois/Lust Ending she'll verbally bully Sekai by telling her lies that Makoto likes her body more than Sekai's.
- Class Representative: In episode 9 of the Anime Kotonoha tells Taisuke that she continually mans the reception desk for her class' haunted house because she is the class rep and a committee member.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: A consistent facet of her personality, across all routes and in all adaptations. Exactly how clingy tends to vary, with the anime taking it (like most other things) to extremes.
- Except Harem Ending. And for the fact that in some routes she is so desperate for Makoto to love her, she'll either ignore or forgive him cheating on her. In one (happy) ending of Cross Days, she announces she accepts Makoto's womanizing, as long as she's the one he love most. Despite of that, trope is NOT averted, as she at very least weakly issue demands "Please stop seducing Makoto-kun!", even when she's not resorting to murder.
- Despair Event Horizon: Crossed it in the anime after being raped by Taisuke and then finding Makoto dead.
- In the game, there's two instances where she can cross it: in the first instance, if Kotonoha gets raped, and you then actively pursue Sekai without somehow dealing with Kotonoha's trauma, Kotonoha will first overhear Makoto and Sekai have sex, and then watch them have sex from outside in the snow, causing her to laugh insanely and then slash Sekai's throat with a saw the next time they meet. In the second instance, if the player is playing a path where it's clear Makoto loves Sekai more, and if Kotonoha has resorted to repeatedly having sex with Makoto to keep him interested and Makoto doesn't make his feelings for Sekai clear by refusing Kotonoha's blowjob the last time, Makoto and Sekai will visit Kotonoha to tell her Makoto loves Sekai, causing Kotonoha to commit suicide by falling off the building's balcony.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: When she goes mad and/or is Yandere.
- Expressive Hair: In the "Ahoge Battle" Minigame, her two strands of hair can act as blades that combat against Sekai's Idiot Hair.
- Extreme Doormat: Due to her insecurity she can't say 'no' or stand up for herself.
- Foreshadowing: In the visual novel, when Makoto and Kotonoha watch a horror movie together, Kotonoha isn't scared of it at all, and confesses to him that she enjoys "horror and splatter movies". Who would have thought?
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: After going mad.
- Evil Makeover: After going mad.
- Fragile Flower
- Freudian Excuse: Let's see: Constantly bullied by no less than five girlsnote ? Check. People constantly abusing her insecurity? Check. Finally meeting people who treat her with genuinely kindness, only to have the same people stab her in the back? Check. Being raped by a person she thought she could sorta trust (her boyfriend's Bromantic Foil), and finding out her boyfriend was dancing with her best friend while she was being raped? Check. In a few possibilities, being cruelly dumped after the former mentioned event? Check. Is it any wonder she snaps the way she does on the bad endings?
- Due to the complicated game flowchart, though, it's entirely possible to have her snap and go murderous even without the rape, the only 'cheating' happening after you'd told her you'd broken up with her. The bullies are a constant, though.
- Gainaxing: Happens on a few occasions.
- Gang of Bullies: Kotonoha is harassed by no less than five girls!
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: Some of the endings and in the anime ending.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: After being raped by Makoto's best friend Taisuke, she finds out Makoto dumped her immediately afterward. Of course she didn't take it well.
- She then falls into a downward spiral of Implausible Deniability (below) on behalf of Makoto's actions and the nature of their current relationship - or lack thereof.
- Go Out with a Smile: Given a cruel twist in one of the game's bad endings, where she flashes Sekai and Makoto an insane smile as she jumps from his apartment building and crashes to the ground directly in front of them.
- Good Girl Gone Bad
- Heroic BSOD: She suffers several of these if the game doesn't lean towards her,
- Hidden Depths: Seems like a run-of-the-mill rich, sheltered, insecure shy girl at first blush, but her sweet facade hides some deep personality flaws. More especially noticeable in the original game, in which she can display a nasty passive-aggressive side that wasn't explored in the anime.
- Hidden Eyes: Displayed often.
- Implausible Deniability: In this case it's toward the observer, denying the perpetrator's actions. Kotonoha frequently denies clearly building evidence that Makoto is cheating on her. Even after he breaks up with her face-to-face, Kotonoha starts having an internal breakdown and continues to unsuccessfully attempt to contact him.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: In one of Shiny Days Ending Kotonoha is willing to part with Makoto as she knew that his heart will alway have Setsuna.
- Lethal Chef: Though she apparently improves. Unless you count the OVA.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Before meeting Makoto and Sekai, she doesn't seem to have any friends whatsoever, and while she does have genuinely caring parents, they often go on long business trips away from home.
- Loners Are Freaks
- Love Makes You Crazy and Evil
- Machete Mayhem: Her saw.
- Manipulative Bitch: In the visual novel, she can find out that Makoto and Sekai have been cheating. She responds by playing on Makoto's guilt to get him to feel her up, then takes photos and uses these to force Sekai to break things off. Depending on the path the player has been taking, this leads either to an unsatisfying ending where Makoto is together with Kotonoha but clearly unhappy, or to Makoto finally growing a spine and getting one of Sekai's better endings.
- Meaningful Name: Kotonoha is an old reading of the word Kotoba (which, by the way, means "word"). Kokoro describes her as "old-fashioned". When written in the right characters, kotoba becomes a part of the hanakotoba term, referring to the Japanese language of flowers.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Her saw-related bad ending and the anime Grand Finale. She is now the epitome of it.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: In the manga, Makoto actually does choose Kotonoha over Sekai in the end, with the latter actually accepting his decision. Unfortunately, Kotonoha decided to try and kill Sekai anyway, stabbing Makoto by accident. And then, while Makoto is in the hospital recovering, Sekai turns the tables on Kotonoha and succeeds in killing her.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: In the path where she tells Makoto that Taisuke impregnated Sekai... She will be killed by Sekai herself via being tossed in the path of a train.
- Not Good with Rejection: Part of the problem is Makoto's own tendency to waffle, of course, but even in routes where he flat-out tells Kotonoha he's breaking up with her, she absolutely refuses to stop considering him to be her boyfriend and that other girls are trying to steal him away.
- Ojou: Just compare her room to Sekai's and/or Makoto's.
- Peerless Love Interest: At the very beginning of the story, Makoto is content simply to love Kotonoha from afar. It takes Sekai's constant prodding to get the two of them together... and then the real plot starts.
- Rape as Drama: Kotonoha's mental and emotional breakdown hits her fully after she's raped by her Stalker with a Crush, Makoto's best friend Taisuke.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Sekai's red.
- In Summer Days and Shiny Days, she is the red to Setsuna's blue.
- Sex Slave: Sort of, if she ends up in a relationship with Taisuke and Makoto completely abandon her, she completely resigns on life and becomes just living sex-toy for Taisuke's lust. And Taisuke inflamed by her gorgeous body has sex with her on every occasion.
- Shrinking Violet
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Not that Kotonoha ever actually says this line, but it describes her life pretty well. She's considered one of the most beautiful girls in school due to her huge breasts, and it ends up causing her to get a lot of attention she doesn't want, like lust from her male classmates and scornful jealousy among her female peers.
- Spoiled Sweet: WAY sweeter and gentler than Otome and her bitch squad.
- Spurned Into Suicide: In one of the game endings, when Makoto leaves her in favor of Sekai, she kills herself by falling backwards off a balcony and splattering all over the sidewalk in front of them.
- Stalker with a Crush: To some degree. Especially in the outcome where she steals Makoto's house key and breaks into his house every night to 'be with' him, and torture herself into insanity.
- Stock Shoujo Bullying Tactics: She's mostly subjected to two: "being cornered and verbally lashed at" and "being completely ignored". The game adds "having a lunch prepared by Makoto knocked down and stepped on", "being the target of slutshamey rumors" and "being cornered, threatened and beaten up". And having Makoto find out and pull a Big Damn Heroes for her will mark the difference between getting one of the cutest Kotonoha ends... and having Sekai pay for this with her life in a bad one.
- Surrogate Soliloquy: In this case, just Talking To The Head. While there is no exposition on Kotonoha's part, there is no mistaking to the viewer that she has perhaps irrevocably gone off the deep end, mental health-wise, on her Nice Boat.
- Talking to the Dead: Kotonoha talks to Makoto's head as if Makoto is still alive.
- Tears of Remorse: In one of the extended bad endings in the PS2. She has just murdered Sekai in front of Makoto in cold blood and offers herself to him, but Makoto is terrified and rejects her affections. This is enough to make Kotonoha realize that she has just done something terrible, and she breaks down in tears.
- Thanatos Gambit: Forever/Eternally. She messily kills herself in front of Makoto and Sekai to ensure they'll never be happy together.
- There Are No Therapists: Nobody but Kotonoha's little sister Kokoro and Sekai notice her fall into insanity.
- Ungrateful Bitch: In a couple of Cross Day's bad endings, her way of thanking Yuki for trying to hook her up with Makoto again and stop his cheating ways is...to murder either Yuki himself or Yuki's sister.
- To put this more in context, she does this after she overhears Makoto and "Yu" getting it on.
- Weapon of Choice: Japanese Saw in the first game. Crowbar or Katana in Cross Days.
- Who's Laughing Now?
- Woman in White: In the opening credits of the Anime.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Kotonoha is soft-spoken, sweet, and beautiful. When she's still sane, that is. When she's not, the iron comes out in a lethal fashion.
- Yandere : Although Sekai did stab Makoto to death, it's Kotonoha that sets a new standard for this one. Oh boy.
- One of the infamous "bad endings" in the original visual novel is one where she kills Sekai with a handsaw in broad daylight in front of a crowd of witnesses.
- In the anime, the saw comes out again, though this time it's in a considerably more private place and Makoto is too busy being dead to freak out.
- Taken Up to Eleven in Cross Days and its manga adaptation. She is so paranoid and insecure about her relationship with Makoto that she views any female getting too close to him as a threat, even if said person is trying to help her out.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Voiced by: Shiho Kawaragi
- A-Cup Angst: Briefly in Episode 5 of the anime and Visual Novel. While Sekai isn't flat-chested by any definition, seeing Kotonoha in a bathing suit makes her feel rather insecure about her considerably smaller size.
- Alliterative Name
- All Take and No Give: While it isn't bad-intentioned on her part, her relationship with Setsuna is like this, with Sekai being the taker and Setsuna being the giver. It comes from both Setsuna's willingness to do anything to ensure Sekai's happiness and Sekai's own disregard for Setsuna's feelings.
- The Baby Trap: Some people think that Sekai wanted to do this to Makoto.
- The visual novel is even worse than the anime in regards to this, as far as the ethics of Sekai's behavior are concerned. Unlike in the anime there is no doubt she is pregnant, but it's very unlikely Makoto is the father - she got pregnant almost a month after they broke up. So her decisions in murdering either Makoto or Kotonoha seem particularly harsh in such a scenario.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Shows herself over and over again to be an extremely sympathetic and self-sacrificing person, although it's not entirely clear how much of that was just a ploy to win Makoto. If it was all an act, it was an amazingly stupid one.
- In the game, it seems to be genuine, not an act. There are some paths where Sekai witnesses Kotonoha being harassed, causing Sekai to attempt to break up with Makoto to make Kotonoha feel better. Since this happens on paths where Makoto has strong feelings for Sekai, it backfires and Makoto thinks Sekai cares about Kotonoha's feelings more than his. But give Sekai credit for trying.
- Big "NO!": In one of the game endings where she stabs Makoto for leaving her for Kotonoha while she's pregnant with his baby. After Makoto admits he was worried for her since she disappeared and thanks her for not planning to give up their child, all while slowly bleeding to death, Sekai runs off screaming this line before he can fully admit how he always loved her.
- A more heroic one is found in "I Love You", in which she gives a Big "NO!" upon receiving a "Reason You Suck" Speech from Kotonoha.
- A funnier one in Shiny Days, as she attempts for last futile defiance before she unwillingly joins to Setsuna, Youko and Mai in their pregnancy group and is impregnated by Makoto too.
- Break the Cutie: If you root for her.
- Childhood Friends: With Setsuna and Niki.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She's aware of just how jealous she is of Makoto and Kotonoha, and (at least in the game) tries to take steps to counteract it. Unfortunately, she also seems to have rather poor impulse control.
- Convenient Miscarriage: In the anime ending, if you're to believe her. Kotonoha says she isn't even pregnant, after cutting her open to check, but by that point they've both gone off the deep end, so it's hard to tell who's lying...or if someone was lying at all.
- Sekai was only pregnant for perhaps two months at that point. Even if you cut her open, it's unlikely that you'll find any trace of the embryo that would be visible to the naked eye, especially if you do it with a crude butcher's knife.
- It's also speculated that Sekai wasn't pregnant, and the "symptoms" were more of stress over the REALLY crappy situation she was in, but truly believed that she was carrying Makoto's baby. Psychological pregnancy shouldn't be discarded so easily.
- Death by Sex
- Death by Woman Scorned: In the anime and a few of the game endings, where she's killed by Kotonoha.
- Demoted to Extra: At the beginning of Summer/Shiny Days she falls ill and basically loses almost any significance in the story. And although a romance with her is still possible, in her original role as one of the most significant Makoto's love interests is replaced by her mother.
- Despair Event Horizon: Crosses this in the anime after Makoto dumps her in pretty much the dickiest way imaginable.
- She can cross it in the game if you're playing a path where Kotonoha and Sekai corner him on a rooftop and force him to choose between them, and if at that point he chooses Kotonoha. This leads to a scene where Sekai overhears Makoto and Kotonoha having sex, and Kotonoha in a moment of insecurity asks Makoto if he really loves Kotonoha best; Makoto reassures Kotonoha that he loves her, and Sekai was mostly good to have sex with. Sekai throws up while crying after hearing this, and six months later she stabs Makoto with a knife on the beach.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Gets these◊ in the above mentioned Despair Event Horizon.
- Expy: Sekai looks like a hybrid mix between Kagome from Inuyasha and Tomo from Azumanga Daioh.
- Heroic Bastard: As her father, Shun Hazama couldn't choose the one he truly loved most, Youko, Mai, Wakaba, and Natsuhi all left him. (They're apparently still on good terms, though.)
- Fan Service With A Smile: The waitress uniform for her after school job, which can easily be mistaken as Cosplay. Not only does it leave little to the imagination, it comes complete with Detached Sleeves and some frills.
- First Kiss: Sekai suddenly takes this from Makoto as her reward for setting him up with Kotonoha. It all goes to hell not long after this.
- Freudian Excuse: She resents her father because she believes that he just used her mother and then threw her away after she got pregnant, leading her to fear that the same thing will eventually happen to her. That would explain a LOT.
- Genki Girl
- Girl Next Door: In contrast to Kotonoha, Sekai is seemingly a typical cheery, outgoing Japanese schoolgirl.
- Good Girl Gone Bad: The most sympathetic interpretation of her character in the anime.
- Groin Attack: One episode had Sekai kneeing Makoto for groping her butt. Was viewed as a Crowning Moment of Awesome by most of the fanbase.
- Heroic BSOD: A BIG one in the anime...
- Hidden Eyes: Displayed often.
- Hoist By Her Own Petard: In one of the PS2 extension endings, Sekai pushes Kotonoha onto a train line right after she and Makoto officially hook up, but Sekai is the one who ends up being hit by the train instead.
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me: Her reaction in routes where Makoto returns her feelings for him.
- Idiot Hair: Rather fittingly.
- If I Can't Have You: The anime ending.
- Insecure Love Interest: Much like Makoto for Kotonoha, Sekai turns out to have been admiring Makoto from afar while holding herself back because she feels like taking him for herself is selfish (at least in the visual novel).
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Sekai's initial intentions for Makoto while befriending - and setting him up with - Kotonoha. Then Sekai suddenly takes his First Kiss as a reward. Later, when Makoto confesses to Sekai, she tearfully admits she had chosen to support him when Makoto told her he liked Kotonoha. Sekai puts all the blame on him before they kiss... and so forth. See Matchmaker Crush below.
- The visual novel plays with this trope a bit more than the anime does, in that in some routes she realizes that Makoto is also falling for her, which leads her to try to distance herself from him because she doesn't want to become the Spanner in the Works — which, of course, can lead to Makoto tracking her down himself and confessing his own fully-realized feelings.
- Laser-Guided Karma: In Cross Days, it's to be noted that no matter what ending there is, she never ends up with Makoto after all she does to keep him in School Days. Even the scene where it looks like Makoto and Sekai are going to have sex, complete with Sekai getting naked, ends abruptly as Makoto leaves before they can actually do the deed. Yuki calls her out on everything as well, which helps.
- Love Makes You Crazy: In the anime, she responds to Makoto's persistent womanizing by violently murdering him with a kitchen knife.
- Also in one ending of the visual novel, in which she responds to Makoto's choosing Kotonoha over her by violently murdering him with a kitchen knife...on a beach. There's another ending where she instead responds by pushing Kotonoha in front of an oncoming train.
- Manipulative Bitch: In the manga.
- Matchmaker Crush: Sekai helps Makoto and Kotonoha hook up... and puts a lot more effort into it than you would expect. And then she gives herself a reward for her efforts by surprise-kissing Makoto. This does not end well. See I Want My Beloved to Be Happy above.
- It turns out that Sekai originally played this role for Setsuna, but ended up developing her own feelings for Makoto and turned to Setsuna for help.
- Meaningful Name / Punny Name: As everybody knew, Sekai means "the world". She is the one who created a "world" between Kotonoha and Makoto. And as someone once noted, "the world is unstable".
- Murder the Hypotenuse : Reversed in the manga (where after Kotonoha fails to kill Sekai, Sekai is the one who kills her and even gloats about it in front of a despaired and hospitalized Makoto) and also in some new bad endings from the PS2 version, which involve trains. One of these endings shows Sekai pushing Kotonoha on the line, but falling in as well and then getting hit by the train when Makoto is bailing Kotonoha out. The second features Makoto getting killed in front of the girls after he saves Sekai from her fall, the third kills off both girls in front of Makoto, and the fifth one involves Sekai succeeding to kill Kotonoha by throwing her in the path of the train as it passes, despite Makoto attempting to save her. NICE TRAIN, INDEED.
- That last one is the one later used by the School Days HQ re-release; Sekai pushes Kotonoha into the path of a train and breaks into psychotic laughter as Makoto looks on in horror.
- My God, What Have I Done?: She seems to have this this reaction after violently stabbing Makoto to death in the official ending.
- Properly Paranoid: In Cross Days, she's afraid that if Makoto will walk around the festival with other people (such as for Roka's jealousy plot), he'll end up cheating on her. Makoto will prove her right more often than not.
- Rape as Drama: If she starts dating Taisuke in the visual novel, he ends up raping her (or pressuring her into having sex even if she's initially reluctant, if you want to put things mildly). A lot. On one path, in a shining moment of character for Makoto, he catches Sekai visibly upset coming out of a room where Taisuke had just raped her, and later masturbates to the thought of how cute she looked. To be fair, though, Taisuke doesn't explain it to Makoto as a rape (or even considers it to be rape himself), he explains it as Sekai having told Taisuke to put a condom on, but Taisuke having run out and ejaculating inside Sekai anyway. This may have caused Makoto to think the incident was less serious than it really was.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Kotonoha's blue.
- Romantic False Lead: More-or-less serves this role in Cross Days. While she does have endings of her own, most paths have the goal involving her and Makoto breaking up, in order to make room for Kotonoha. This also serves as a good example of when the subject is made too sympathetic, since Makoto just ends up looking like even more of a jerk.
- Slasher Smile: In the ending "Pushed Too Far", she looks positively demented as she watches Kotonoha get hit by a train and laughs maniacally as the traumatized Makoto holds his girlfriend's severed arm.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: The manga adaptation has her noticeably less concerned about Kotonoha's feelings, and far more aggressive in her pursuit of Makoto, while her personal insecurities are given much less attention.
- Tsundere: Sekai seems at first to be a Type B...
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Makoto was actually rather normal and faithful to Kotonoha until Sekai seduced him.
- Weapon of Choice: Knives
- Woman in White: In the opening credits of the Anime.
- Woman Scorned: Particularly in the anime.
- Yandere: Holy crap, Sekai is creepy in the manga and some of the game endings...
- Zettai Ryouiki
Voiced by: Keiko Imoto
- A-Cup Angst: Setsuna is pretty short and underdeveloped for her age and is rather self-conscious about it.
- Take up to eleven in Summer Days/ Shiny Days in which Setsuna worked at Radish Restaurant in place of Sekai and have to wear Stripperiffic uniform while working along side much bustier Oruha and Noan. Also, the game introduces Kazuha, Futaba and Karen, who are not only younger than her but also much more developed.
- All Take and No Give: Her relationship with Sekai. Partly because Sekai disregards Setsuna's feelings, partly because Setsuna is so devoted to Sekai that she is willing to completely steamroll over other people in order to ensure that Sekai is happy.
- Ascended Extra: In Summer Days and Shiny Days she is promoted to be the third main heroine.
- Babies Ever After: In certain game paths via a postcard.
- The game paths are "Bavarois" (Sekai ending) and "Carnal Desires" (Kotonoha ending). The postcard arrives in a post-credits scene called I'm the Wife if you got either of those endings in a path where Makoto and Setsuna have intercourse during the festival at the end of Episode 4.
- In one ending of Shiny Days, Makoto impregnates her, Mai, and Youko, and the four of them then try to convince Sekai to become pregnant too..
- Berserk Button: People who make fun of her rather young looks or otherwise belittle her tend to be the recipient of a swift kick in the face, Taisuke being the usual culprit. And that's not even talking about what happens to people who try to hurt Sekai in any way...
- Childhood Friends: With Sekai. They're also half-sisters.
- Class Representative: For her, Makoto, and Sekai's classroom.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: In her path in the game.
- Emotionless Girl: Seems to be, although she's really just rather quiet about her emotions.
- Expy: Of Satsuki Shigehara from Large Pon Pon.
- Wearing ribbon and into bondage with whip? Midori Nagawa.
- Guile Hero: She's quite adept at manipulating people, and can potentially be very ruthless in her dealings with them, but usually works in such a manner that it's actually to their own benefit.
- Heroic Bastard: Same deal as Sekai. Although it's also hinted that Shun does marry her mother Mai so this trope maybe subverted.
- Hair Decorations: She usually has a red or blue ribbon in her hair, much like her mother and grandmother.
- Idiot Ball: It applies most of all for Setsuna when she allows herself to kiss Makoto while he was sleeping, and for letting Makoto have his way with her if he promised to watch out for - and be exclusive to - Sekai. Makoto's past actions should have clued her in that this tactic was not guaranteed to work. Nevertheless, Setsuna's crush on Makoto is most likely an ulterior motive for this.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Ironically, she ends up regretting it in the end.
- Lap Pillow: In the visual novel, to Makoto.
- Little Miss Snarker
- Living Emotional Crutch: For Sekai. Part of her justification for setting Makoto up with Sekai is to get him to fulfill Setsuna's role as this once she leaves.
- Love Makes You Evil: Her devotion to Sekai leads her to do some pretty terrible things to Kotonoha, whom she doesn't hate but still views as an obstacle to Makoto and Sekai's relationship.
- Matchmaker Crush: She has a crush on Makoto but decides to make sure he stays with Sekai instead, so he can protect her before she goes to live abroad.
- It turns out that Sekai was originally trying to help her win Makoto, but ended up developing her own feelings for him, and Setsuna quietly bowed out when it became apparent.
- Meaningful Name: Setsuna means "a little time" before she has to bid farewell to Makoto and Sekai and go to Paris with her mother. However, if Makoto chooses her in Summer Days/Shiny Days this trope will be subverted.
- No Sympathy: For anyone other than Sekai and her friends.
- Subverted in (Shiny) Summer Days. As it turns out, when Sekai is not involved in the situation at all, Setsuna does have a lot of sympathy towards the problems of others, even if their desires go straight against her own.
- Older Than She Looks: Looks very young for her age, and she's very conscious of such a thing. And she's no exception to Makoto banging everything in school that has
a vagina anda schoolgirl uniform.
- Supplementary reveals that Setsuna's third-generation in the inbred of Inou Family (her father is from Hazama Family, but is also a half-brother with her mother, Mai), unlike Sekai who's only second-generation. Genetic Problem is very much the cause.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: In Summer/Shiny Days, The blue to Kotonoha's red.
- Rescue Romance: Apparently, Makoto protected her from some bullies sometime before the present day.
- Shrinking Violet: In Summer Days.
- Stalker with a Crush: She tried to be more discreet than the others... until Kotonoha caught her kissing Makoto in his sleep.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Although silent-looking and almost emotionless, she's very caring towards Sekai.
- Token Mini-Moe
- Took a Level in Jerkass: While in the games, she is one of the nicest members of the cast, her anime incarnation is noticeably more aggressive and willing to harm others in her quest to make Sekai happy.
- Third-Option Love Interest: She is the most significant girl in the series right after Kotonoha and Sekai.
- Wardrobe Malfunction: Courtesy of Inori in Shiny Days.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She wants Sekai to be happy, no matter what. And she's more than willing to destroy Kotonoha and Makoto's relationship to achieve this.
- Whip It Good: In Summer Days's bad ending,after Makoto gets both Youko and Sekai pregnant, Setsuna ties Makoto down and whips him, dominatrix-style, with Mai as her assistant.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Voiced by: Ryoko Tanaka
- Babies Ever After: She has a child with Makoto in "Sex friend" ending, much to Makoto and Sekai's shock.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Apparently, Hikari is the unlucky variant for Taisuke as well. She ends up roped in Makoto's bedsheets, but unlike the other girls, Hikari actually acknowledges this as a mistake from the beginning and is the first one to desert him.
- In the game, however, if the player is romancing Hikari, it only happens on routes where Taisuke has sex with Kotonoha, so in that particular case maybe Hikari isn't that unlucky.
- Also in the game, Makoto can actually help set them up as a couple in a late-game subplot, turning her into a Victorious Childhood Friend.
- Covert Pervert: In the original game. She blurts out during a conversation that she finds Dating Sims to be an interesting concept, and in one scene, when Kotonoha is being raped by Taisuke, she peeks and can't tear her eyes away from the sight. Oh, and did we mention that Makoto can mess around with Hikari while Taisuke is having his way with Kotonoha?.
- Friends with Benefits: One of her two endings is this: Hikari and Makoto do it whenever the former feels like it, but they still pretend as though Hikari hates Makoto at school. Oh, and this is the ending in which she has a child with him. The other ending is a Harem Ending, in which Makoto has sex with different girls every day behind Sekai's back.
- Girlish Pigtails: Known for her squid-rings hairstyle. She's almost unrecognizable when she lets her hair down.
- Karma Houdini: In the anime ending, despite ending up tangled within Makoto's bedsheets.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: In the anime, she's the first of the girls to bail out on Makoto once everyone learns he may have gotten Sekai pregnant.
- Shipper on Deck: For Yuuki and Roka.
- Stalker with a Crush: In the scene leading up to her route, Makoto catches her following Taisuke while he's in turn following Kotonoha.
- Third-Option Love Interest: One of the possible ones in the visual novel.
- However, unlike fellow third options Otome or Setsuna, who already had feelings for him by the start of the visual novel, Hikari starts off disliking Makoto because she thinks Makoto is going out with Sekai and therefore causing Sekai to keep ditching her friends at lunch. So the player has to work to get Hikari to be a "third option love interest," and even then Hikari's interest is piqued only once she realizes from firsthand experience that Makoto is really good in bed.
- Took a Level in Kindness: In certain paths in Cross Days.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: But while she is nicer to Kotonoha on those paths, those also have her help destroy Sekai's relationship with Makoto while Hikari is rewarded for it by means of Taisuke dancing with her at the bonfire.
- Tsundere: In the original game. Surprisingly, though, not for Makoto! She has a crush on her childhood friend Taisuke, though it isn't ever brought to the forefront except in one particular sequence of events. She's also implied to be the best match for him, as she's unlikely to be the sort of girl to let him take advantage of her. Of course, like everything else that isn't central to the core Love Triangle plot, this little tidbit goes out the window in the anime.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Like Setsuna, she wants to help Sekai with her love life. And she's more than willing to threathen Kotonoha and plot devious deeds behind her back to do so. And in Hikari's case, it could also be a case of harboring resentment towards Kotonoha because of Taisuke's crush on her.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Is usually the one who gives this treatment to Makoto and then some, in all adaptations and spin-offs.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Voiced by: Chiaki TakahashiSekai's tall, tomboyish, sporty friend. She went to the same middle school as Kotonoha, and therefore knows a lot of rumors about the latter.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: While not exactly a classical beauty, she's the tallest and seemingly most mature of Sekai's friends, and she's certainly aloof until that videotape gets out....
- Big "NO!": In the anime, she gives out a huge one realizes that Otome's "friends" videotaped her and her boyfriend having sex and are showing it to the whole school. Could you blame her?
- It's even worse in the game, School Days HQ, since you actually get to see the tape of Nanami and Kyouichi having sex, and you find out that Kyouichi made her call him "Onii-chan" as a turn-on, that Nanami puts on a really high, feminine, not-usually-like-her voice when having sex since she loves him so much, and he's planning to have her call him "Goshujin-sama" meaning "Master" the next time they make love. So in the game, not only did everyone get to watch Nanami and Kyouichi do the deed, but they're kinky, too! It's embarrassing enough that other people watched you have sex with your loved one; having other people watch you have role-play sex with your loved one has got to be torture.
- Boyish Short Hair
- Caught with Your Pants Down: Or better said, Filmed With Her Mini Skirt Up. Poor Nanami.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Resents Kotonoha for her large bust and the attention boys give her for it, which can lead to Nanami bullying her and spread nasty rumors.
- Heroic BSOD: Has a brief one when everyone sees the tape featuring her and Kyouichi going at it. In the game, she simply cries at the sight; in the anime, however, she gives a massive Big "NO!" and falls to her knees.
- Get hit with another one in Cross Days where Kyouichi is revealed to be a cheater.
- Huge School Girl
- Laser-Guided Karma: Her's and Hikari's actions in one of the routes to drive Kotonoha away from Makoto to bring him and Sekai together backfire spectacularly, actually putting Makoto and Sekai's friendship in jeopardy, which came from Makoto's sheer disgust for their actions.
- Only Sane Woman: It helps that she's the only girl in the series who doesn't get involved with Makoto. At least until Cross Days, where, with Hikari's and Roka's help, Makoto got even her. Though in that same game it turned out her boyfriend was a cheating jerk who once raped her sister.
- Passionate Sports Girl: Basketball star.
- Theme Naming: With her sister, Yae.note
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: See Hikari and Setsuna's entries. It's particularly jarring in her case, considering her status as one of the most mature characters of the series and the Only Sane Woman, seeing how she has no qualms with spreading nasty rumors about Kotonoha and getting an entire sports club to help a group of bullies, also from said club, to make Kotonoha miserable just to drive her away from Makoto, freeing the way for Sekai.
- At least part of this comes more from her general dislike of Kotonoha, who mentions that Nanami had bullied her in middle school.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Voiced by: Haruka Nagami
- Alpha Bitch: Though she's less fashion-obsessed and more tomboyish than the standard.
- Brother-Sister Incest: In Summer Days, Makoto can get a threesome with her and her little sister, Karen.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Unlucky variant to Makoto. It's possible for her to be victorious in the visual novel, where you can end up with her as a Third-Option Love Interest.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Varies. One player choice makes the difference between whether she awkwardly tries to offer some comfort to a crying Kotonoha who's been publicly dumped by Makoto, OR manipulates Taisuke into raping her.
- Demoted to Extra: In the manga.
- Freudian Excuse: While Otome has both father and mother unlike many of other characters, her family is far from peaceful as her father is a womanizer and her mother pretty much go around and threaten to kill anyone who dare cheat with her husband. Oh, and let not forget the fact that her sister pretty much outgrow her in certain area. These pretty much summarizes her hatred toward Kotonoha(who she believes to be a temptress), Roka(whose mother was involved in an affair with her father) and Hanon(a Femme Fatale).
- Hopeless Suitor
- Incest Is Relative By Marriage: Averted. Makoto's brother Shun never married Natsuhi, who is the younger sister of Nadeshiko (Otome's mother) so a relationship between them is perfectly fine.
- Ironic Name: "Otome" means maiden. She's a tomboy. On the other hand, she's the only girl of Makoto's love interest in the game to not get pregnant in any routes.
- Jerkass: Among the biggest ones in the anime, although she gets a slight moment of redemption when she dumps Makoto in Episode 11, after hearing about his public rejection of Sekai and realizing that he has changed dramatically from the person that she fell in love with.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: In the visual novel. Much of her behavior is implied to be the result of her Girl Posse egging her on and her family's problems, and she positively melts around Makoto and will do just about anything he asks her to (including stopping the others from bullying a classmate).
- Jerk Jock: She's a basketball star and a bully.
- Loving a Shadow: In the the anime Makoto was a nicer guy back in junior high, and Otome is still in love with that guy who no longer exists. Eventually she is forced to see that the person she fell in love with and the person in front of her now aren't the same anymore.
- Passionate Sports Girl: The star of the basketball team.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: Subverted.
- Shotgun Wedding: Parodied in Summer/Shiny Days with Makoto.
- Stalker with a Crush
- Third-Option Love Interest: In the visual novel, it's possible to end up with her. She's set up to be a literal third option, as her route only appears late-game, after Makoto gets so fed up with Kotonoha and Sekai fighting over him that he rejects them both publicly.
- Theme Naming: With her mother, Nadeshiko.
- Tsundere: A Type A. Lampshaded in her ending, where her Girl Posse ask her how come she and Makoto can stay together if they keep squabbling all the time, and Otome just shows them a picture of them kissing.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Voiced by: Yoshirou Matsumoto
- Abduction Is Love: In his mind concerning Kotonoha or Sekai in certain visual novel routes. Though technically he didn't so much force himself onto her, as he did take advantage of her depression (or possibly not even noticing it, the moron). Following doing the deed he actually believes that the two are in a relationship.
- Played straight in the original game: the entire thing is very obviously non-consensual on Kotonoha's end. (While having the girl pretend-protest during sex is among the most common kinks in Japanese porn, it's obviously not the same in Real Life, and Taisuke is so Genre Blind that he believes this to hold up in his and Kotonoha's case.)
- It doesn't excuse what Taisuke did in the least, but the game actually provides a sorta plausible reason the anime did not: in routes where Taisuke rapes Kotonoha, it's because Otome's Girl Posse lied to Taisuke, telling him that girls love forceful men.
- Fridge Brilliance: From the family chart, Taisuke's the younger brother of Miki Sawanaga of "Pure Mail" (The Game, not that two-shot hentai OVAs). Miki's relationship with Kei Ogata(one of Makoto's brother) is probably not the most healthy of all the routes in the game(saves for Midori's who is FAR worse). So it's possible that he sees that as "guidance". Also his sudden actions toward Yuki can be somewhat explained that he was(unintentionally) raped by Kei(who mistook him for Miki).
- Ascended Extra: Taisuke first appears in Pure Mail, in an extremely minor capacity, five years before his appearance as a character in School Days.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Come Cross Days. Although surprisingly enough, averted in the Cross Days manga in which he even (unknowingly) helped Yuuki.
- Bromantic Foil: Possible deconstruction, considering what he does to Kotonoha in the anime and one of the game paths.
- Continuity Nod: Mentioned about his older sister, Miki from Pure Mail, several times in the game and the fact that Miki and Kei are an Official Couple.
- Depraved Bisexual: Come Cross Days.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Starts like this towards Kotonoha. In one of the Sekai/Makoto game endings, he actually does score with her and they become the Beta Couple. Unfortunately, there's more to his character than this...
- In some visual novel paths, he also acts this way towards Sekai which may or may not lead to him "raping" her, got her pregnant, and leads her to kill Kotonoha in "Pushed too far".
- Freudian Excuse: See Rape as Backstory.
- Heroic Bastard: Due to his father Ayumu Inou's marriage to Rurika Washino, it's very likely that he and Miki were conceived out of wedlock as his mother was one of Asagi Inou/Nagawa's friend, who helped her rape Ayumu in his youth.
- Gay Option: Played for Laughs in the Valentine Days OVA for which Makoto responded with a Big "NO!" (above).
- However, played not for laugh in Cross Days.
- I'm a Man, I Can't Help It: If he gets Kotonoha into relationship with him (either by rape, or by comforting her broken heart), he start have a lot of sex with her regardless whether she wants or not, basically completely drugged by her gorgeous body.
- Karma Houdini: Gets clean away with raping and/or at least taking advantage of Kotonoha or Sekai, depending on the route you take. Particularly egregious seeing that almost everyone else got what they deserved.
- And in Cross Days he gets away with gang banging Yuki depending on the ending. However, in the true ending, Makoto stands up to them but he still gets his ass kicked.
- Perhaps the most jarring example is the ending in Cross Days where he is just barely stopped from raping Kotonoha by Yuuki, but then goes on to happily dance with Hikari at the bonfire while Yuuki just gives an approving smile.
- Like Father, Like Son: Averted. Taisuke never had a chance to get around like his father, Ayumu. Play straight in term of their look though.
- Plucky Comic Relief
- Rape as Backstory: From Pure Mail After it's revealed that he was raped by Kei who mistook him for Miki during the former attempt to reconcile with her.
- Rape and Switch: Which unfortunately implied this.
- Stalker with a Crush
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Especially notable in Cross Days. While most of his more terrible actions in School Days happened because Taisuke is just that much of an idiot, in Cross Days he's perfectly aware of what he's doing to Yuuki.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Until he was raped by Kei..
- Wingding Eyes: In the ~Magical Heart Kokoro-chan~ OVA, he (along with Makoto) sports big shiny gold starbursts in their eyes in their ecstatic response to the arrival of the Anonymous Defence Service. Later a naked Taisuke's eyes contain big white starbursts for Magical Heart, whom he sees in person for the first time.
Minami Obuchi, Natsumi Koizumi, Kumi Mouri
Voiced by: Minami Kuribayashi (Minami), Nana Furuhara (Natsumi), Eri Saita (Kumi)
- Ascended Extra: Minami's given personal ending in Cross Days in which she takes advantage of the situation between Otome and Kotonoha to become Makoto's girlfriend.
- Big Bads: In the anime, at least; just about half of the worst things that happened in the anime were triggered by them, either directly or indirectly.
- The Bad Guy Wins: In Cross Days' ending, "Minami's Boyfriend".
- Clothing Damage: Along with Otome in Valentine OVA. This is probably the least Karma they got.
- For the Evulz
- Four-Way Sex: With Makoto in the anime.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: Minami's eyes are pretty deceiving aren't they?
- Girl Posse: The rare case where their Alpha Bitch is actually more sympathetic than them.
- Green-Eyed Monster: They harass Kotonoha following Otome's lead.
- Hair Decorations: Kumi uses a yellow headband.
- Jerkasses: None of them have any redeeming qualities. At all.
- Karma Houdini: Big fucking time. Even more to Minami, in Cross Days.
- Shippers On Deck: For Otome and Makoto, though they aren't above sleeping with him while she is still involved with him in the anime. And that's without mentioning the blackmail Minami corners Makoto in to in an ending of Cross Days.
- Shoujo Hair: For a series with realistic hairstyle, Minami is quite standout.
- The Sociopaths
- Terrible Trio: More like horrible
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: They are the cause of the most infamous Idiot Plot to happen.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Voiced by: Megu Ashiro
- Alliterative Name
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Sometimes, such as making demands on Kotonoha and Makoto's time in routes where Makoto is invited over to Kotonoha's house, but to her credit she's actually a less annoying example of this trope than usual; Kokoro adores Kotonoha immensely and only teases in good fun, and Kokoro gets worried sick if Kotonoha is sad or upset for any reason. Plus, Kokoro is strongly in favor of a relationship between Kotonoha and Makoto since Makoto makes Kotonoha happy.
- Big Fancy House
- Cheerful Child
- Children Are Innocent: In the anime and manga, at least.
- Whereas in visual novels, especially School days and Summer/Shiny Days, she'll say things like "You aren't giving him any? I feel sorry for him" to her sister about Makoto, or encourages him to apply suncream on Kotonoha, or flirt with Makoto in front of her sister to the point she throws them off her nice boat overboard in jealous fit.
- Expy: Of Rin Sekihata from Pure Mail, a loli love interest from another game of Overflow with some elements from Misaki Washino from Large Pon Pon thrown in as well..
- Girlish Pigtails
- Magical Girl: In her own OVA, the infamous ~Magical Heart Kokoro-chan~.
- The Matchmaker: To her sister Kotonoha and Makoto. She crosses into matchmaker with crush in some routes of Shiny/Summer Days.
- Older Than She Looks: Wait, is she really thirteen years old?!
- Talking To Herself: Shares a VA with Youko, Sekai's mother, in all adaptations, though they don't interact much, if at all, unless you count the Magical Heart Kokoro-chan OVA.
- Token Mini-Moe: In the Summer Days spin-off game, the 13-years-old Kokoro joins Setsuna in the Lolicon parade, and even gets two scenes where Makoto boinks (and in one, outright molestsnote ) her. The Japanese media was NOT amused
- In Shiny Days he may successfully force Kokoro to give him a blowjob.
- It's worth noting that any sex scene with Kokoro would count as rape, given her age.
- Yandere: Played for laugh in Valentine OVA.
Voiced by: Ryuusaku Chidiwa (anime), Takezou Koike (Cross Days)A classmate of the group.
- Big Eater: He's known to attempt to set new records.
- The Faceless: His face is never shown, as it's always cut off by the top of the screen in every shot that he's in.
- Flat Character: His role in the original was more or less limited to being a walking height joke and to break his foot in order to give Makoto an excuse to join the student committee. He gains slightly more relevance in Cross Days, but not much.
- Hopeless Suitor: Towards Setsuna.
- The Voiceless: In Cross Days, he only ever speaks in various grunts. It doesn't stop the other characters from understanding him.
Uzuki IiKokoro's classmate.
Summer Days Characters
Oruha Hashimoto and Noan MurayamaTwo waitresses who worked alongside with Setsuna in Summer Days/Shiny Days.
- Buxom Is Better
- Gold Digger: Implied in Noan's route in Shiny Days which she dates Makoto because of his family owning a hospital. Apart from that, she does fancy him too.
- Stripperiffic: The waitress uniforms that they wears.
Voiced by: Maki KobayashiA classmate of the main gang. She appears as a character in Summer Days and goes on to have a larger role in Cross Days, where she can become involved with Yuuki or Makoto on certain routes.
- Adapted Out: In the manga version of Cross Days.
- Ascended Extra: First appeared as a minor character in Summer Days and later(depending on player choices) get promote to be one of the heroines of Cross Days and Island Days.
- The Bad Guy Wins: In one ending of Cross Days, Ai will successfully make Makoto her boyfriend while an unhappy Kotonoha is left alone.
- Foil: She's basically what Sekai (and by extension, Otome) would be if without self-control and willing to destroy Makoto's relationship with Kotonoha for her own end.
- Girls with Guns: In Island Days, she's shown with Death Glare while holding a gun while looking at Otome who seems to be crying on (presumbly) Makoto's dead body.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Not normally, but played straight in Roka's true ending, where she decides to leave school and raise her baby alone, leaving Yuki and Makoto to their own lives.
- Ironic Name: Ai's name means love but in "pure/giving love" not "possessive love".
- Meaningful Name: Will be this in Roka's true ending in which she decides to give up on both Makoto and Yuki and let them be happy with their respective love interests.
- Romantic False Lead
- The Cameo: She makes a couple of brief appearances in the anime.
- The Rival: In Cross Days, she views Kotonoha as this, seeing her as an obstacle to winning Makoto's affections. She is also Roka's rival as well.
- Teen Pregnancy: If you take her route in Cross Days.
Kazuha and Futaba Nijou
Voiced by: Megu Ashiro (Kazuha), Yayoi Sogetsu (Futaba)
- The Cameo: They make a brief appearance in the anime finale. They also get a passing mention in one of Hikari's endings as new first-years in Sakakino High who want to try out Makoto in bed for themselves.
- Children Are Innocent: ...NOT!!
- Continuity Cameo: Kazuha wore the same cloth as the one her mother, Wakaba, wore in "Summer Radish Vacation".
- Family Theme Naming: Wakaba (若葉) , Hanon (葉音), Kazuha (一葉), Futaba (二葉), Mitsuba (三葉) and Yotsuba (四葉).
- Fille Fatale: Futaba, the younger sister, is actually one. Fitting, considering Summer Days and Shiny Days has scenes with her and her father, Shun getting it on. Kazuha, however, is more of a Shrinking Violet.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: Kazuha wears pink, while Futaba wears orange.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: Cross Days and Summer/Shiny Days revealed that they have an elder sister named Hanon, and several younger sisters named Mitsuba, Yotsuba, Shinaha, Shikuha, Kotoha, Komiha and Konaha.
- Parental Incest: In several routes Futaba has sexual relationship with Shun who is actually her biological father.
- One of their sex scenes with Makoto involve them trying to talk him out of a relationship with someone else in exchange for having his way with them.
- Sempai Kouhai: Their are Makoto's juniors, which is why they call him Senpai.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Kazuha is a Shrinking Violet while Futaba is a Genki Girl and a Fille Fatale.
- Strong Family Resemblance: With their mother, Wakaba.
- Twin Threesome Fantasy: Provide this in the School Days universe. They are potential love interests in Summer Days and Shiny Days.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: With their elder sister, Hanon.
Cross Days Characters
Voiced by: Mahiru Nakano
- All-Loving Hero: It becomes obvious that he's one when every girl in his harem loves him. Even if he cheats on them (which is unwillingly and unintentional), they won't kill him for cheating. They'll end their friendship but other than that, he fits this as long as he doesn't cheat.
- Badass: Is he ever? He punched Makoto for crying out loud! And he also jumps in front of a train to save Makoto from his idiotic nature.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Not to the extreme as Kotonoha's example though but don't underestimate him.
- Bishōnen: A more straightforwards example.
- Bi the Way: Apparently. But if Makoto keeps being a Jerk Ass in Cross Days, not even his sex scene with Yuki will get his new Depraved Bisexual ID off him.
- Luckily, the part about Makoto being an asshole can be subverted... but only in the true ending.
- Break the Cutie: Taking Makoto's route leads him down the path of destruction as Taisuke blackmails and gang bangs him. This obviously affects him and depending on the ending, he might be stuck as a sex slave to Taisuke unless Makoto finds out and gets him out of it.
- The Cameo: In the HQ release of School Days, he is occasionally shown in the background.
- Captain Ersatz: Of Negi from Negima!, since he looks a LOT like him.
- And when he crossdresses, he looks just like Mikuru Asahina! Justified, [[spoiler:since Setsuna brought the wig from Cosplay Club.
- Despair Event Horizon: In the ending in Makoto's path where Makoto never finds out that Taisuke is blackmailing and gang banging Yuki. Stuck in a really nasty situation, it really breaks him in the end knowing that Makoto won't save him. Makes it worse that he can't tell anyone because he doesn't want his sister finding out what he's been doing.
- Driven to Suicide: In the Cross Days manga, he walks in front of an oncoming train, but Roka bails him out.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: When he cross dresses. He isn't recognizable at all.
- Failed a Spot Check: He somehow manages to completely miss what's happening between Kyouichi and the girls from his part-time job, and dismisses any of the events he sees as just his imagination.
- Gay Option
- Genre Savvy: Very much so but that's only because he's observing from the sidelines. Only if he pursues Makoto does he lampshade how much he's falling out of this role.
- He Cleans Up Nicely
- Heroes Want Redheads: In the routes with him, Makoto is determined to be with him.
- Heroic BSOD: In the manga, after Kotonoha shouts at him how cruel it was for him to deceive and breaking her trust by crossdressing as Yu.
- Hypocrite: He calls Sekai out for getting between Makoto and Kotonoha, but then does the same thing if he pursues Makoto. Sekai doesn't come back to give him a taste of his own medicine, however.
- Karma Houdini: In one of the endings he impregnates Ai and get away with it, with the end result of Kotonoha killing her.
- Karmic Jackpot: In many of his endings, things always seem to go his way. The only time this doesn't apply is when his good deeds come back to bite him in the ass or if he pursues Makoto.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Appeared early in the storyline when he attempt to blackmail Sekai by taking a photo of her in compromising position. He is punished by Setsuna and is forced to crossdress in the School Festival.
- Love Makes You Evil: His desire for Kotonoha to be happy leads him to attempt to murder and later blackmail Sekai in one path of the game.
- Loves My Alter Ego: Makoto is in love with Yu. This is what Yuki wants at the beginning before he starts falling in love with Makoto. It's at this point does he began to loathe his other self.
- Named After Somebody Famous: The Ashikaga Clan.
- Nerds Are Sexy
- Nice Guy: The major difference between him and Makoto and he's loved for it.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: In many of the bad endings, his main motivation for helping his friend Kotonoha ALWAYS comes back to bite him. In one bad ending, he is killed by her when he was trying to help her and that's because she thinks that his alternate self Yu is taking her Makoto away - and in another ending, his sister Chie is killed instead. Also, when he tries to help the other girls, he's always caught in bad situations of cheating and is always blamed for it.
- Only Sane Man: For obvious reasons. He's the observer of Cross Days and can see what's going on with the love triangle and wonders why the hell no one is doing anything about it.
- He's also the only Overflow protagonist who isn't related to Tomaru Sawagoe, which speaks volumes about his mental stability in itself.
- The Quiet One: By appearance and he seems to be like this until he subverts it later when he punches Makoto.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: He gives one to Sekai when he thinks that she's the reason that Makoto is cheating on Kotonoha. Of course, the truth is far more complicated than he's aware of.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Makoto's red.
- Screw Yourself: Played with. Yuki is limber enough to perform fellatio on himself.
- Talk to the Fist: What does he do when he first meets Makoto? He punches him in the face which surprises everyone.
- Third-Option Love Interest: The irony is that he and Makoto together would be the most stable couple in the entire series.
- Tsundere: He doesn't seem to be one at all unless he takes Makoto's route where it reveals he's a type B but warps into a mild type A when Makoto does something to piss him off...which is often.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He is so determined to convince Kotonoha of Makoto's darker side that he cross-dresses as a girl named Yuu in order to draw Makoto's attention and expose his true nature. As with many of the well-intentioned actions in the series, this rarely ends well for him.
- Wholesome Crossdresser
- Woman in White: When he's Yu.
- Your Cheating Heart: In some endings, he messes up and ends up getting in situations where it looks like he's cheating. In one ending, he ends up with Ai else instead of Roka...and he ends up regretting it.
Voiced by: Kaoru MizuharaAnother student at the school who is introduced to Yuuki by Chie and subsequently develops an attraction to him.
- Attempted Rape: In the Cross Days manga, she decides to confess her feelings to Yuuki and Makoto then decides that he's going to rape her For the Lulz. Fortunately Yuuki is there to stop him.
- Berserk Button: DON'T ever speak about her mother in bad way about her being a hostess.
- The Cameo: In the HQ release of School Days, she makes a few appearances in the background, and becomes one of the girls involved in the video tape plot.
- Closer to Earth: When compared to Kotonoha and Sekai, Roka is much more sensible and, despite Yuuki (apparently) cheating, doesn't resort to murder.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: In the manga, to Yuki when he's going through a nasty Heroic BSOD.
- Named After Somebody Famous: The Kitsuregawa Clan.
- Nice Girl: She stands out as one of the few characters who isn't hiding a nasty streak under a pleasant demeanour.
- Official Couple: With Yuuki if he doesn't pursue Ai or Makoto. And in the Cross Days manga
- Operation Jealousy: In order to make Yuuki jealous, she claims to be dating Makoto. This doesn't go as planned, however, as Yuuki is already aware of Makoto and Kotonoha's relationship, and finding out that he is supposedly involved with Roka as well pushes him to become more involved in trying to stop Makoto's poor treatment of Kotonoha.
- Subverted in the manga as it's Yuuki himself who mistook Roka for being between Makoto and Kotonoha.
- Slipknot Ponytail: When she rescued Yuuki from being hit by train in the manga. The much more tragic version appeared in the visual novel in Only Love and Courage Ending where Roka witnesses Yuuki and Ai kissing in the middle of the street and tearfully bid farewell to him.
- Stock Shoujo Bullying Tactics: Roka used to be bullied by Otome as her mother used to have an affair with Otome's father.
- You Are Not Alone: Part of the Get a Hold of Yourself, Man! mentioned above.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade-S
Voiced by: Mina MotoyamaYuuki's older sister, who helps to instigate part of the plot of Cross Days by introducing Yuuki to Roka.
- Beauty Mark
- The Cameo: A much more active one than is the norm. In the anime, Chie is the one who films the students' sexual activities in the festival's "rest area" and then broadcasts it at the basketball party.
- Cool Big Sis: While she does tend to use Yuuki as her personal gopher, it's obvious that she cares a lot about him, and will go out of her way to make sure he's alright.
- Driven by Envy: Her jealousy of Nanami probably explains why she shows the sex tape of Nanami and her boyfriend in the anime.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Towards Nanami due to the latter's natural athleticism.
- Heroic Sacrifice: One ending of Cross Days has her coming across Yuuki's female school uniform and deducing who Yuu is. Shortly afterward, Kotonoha confronts her and accuses her of being Yuu. In order to protect Yuuki, Chie confirms to Kotonoha that she is Yuu. As the screen cuts to black, you can hear Kotonoha swing her crowbar...
- Named After Somebody Famous: The Ashikaga Clan.
- Pet the Dog:Sympathizes Nanami when her boyfriend is revealed to be cheater.
Ion Ishibashi and Youka KiraChie's friends and lackeys. Ion is the androgynous looking one while Youka is the feminine one.
- Eyes Always Shut: Youka
- Karma Houdini: They get clean away with blackmailing and raping Yuuki.
- Three-Way Sex: With Yuuki
Voiced by: Takezou KoikeNanami's boyfriend.
- Ascended Extra: Is elevated from his one note role in School Days to being a supporting character and Yuki's Bromantic Foil in Cross Days.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Not only did he cheat on Nanami behind her back, but he also forced sex on her sister, Yae.
- Brother-Sister Incest: He holds feelings towards his sister, Kyoumi.
- Foreshadowing: Early in the first episode of Cross Days, he nonchalantly tells Yuki, "I am a man of many faces."
- Karmic Death: He and Makoto are both killed by Kotonoha in one of the endings of Shiny Days, for forcing Kokoro into having sex with them.
- Otaku: Especially Eroge.
- Walking Spoiler: You would never guess how much of a Jerkass he really is.
- Your Cheating Heart: He cheated on Nanami with Hanon and also with his sister.
Voiced by: Futago MinazukiThe captain of Girl Basketball Team.
- Attempted Rape: In certain route (to specify,Massive Love),she will lures Yuki to the haunted house in an attempt to do this. Her plan is foiled by Ion and Youka who decided to take Yuki for themselves.
- Karma Houdini:Along with Ion and Youka.
Voiced by: Natsumi TakamoriKazuha and Futaba's older sister.
- Femme Fatale: Hanon is very popular among the boys.. and is also rumored to have sex with minors.
- Not Twin But Still Identical ID Tag: Hanon wears blue.
- Karma Houdini: Doesn't EVER get punished for her Femme Fatale ways.
- The Mistress: She's one to Kyouichi.
- Theme Naming: Her name contains the kanji "葉" like her sisters. The "non" part is likely a pun for "none", in other word, zero.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: Take up to eleven.
Voiced by: Yui Satou (Drama CD), Mariya Sumida (Cross Days)Hanon's friend, and a childhood friend of both Sekai and Setsuna.
- Hopeless Suitor: To Yuuki.
- Foil: To Setsuna, who's more of Sekai's voice of reason.
- Idiot Hair: She has two of these, in fact. Foreshadow that she's even more "idiot" than Sekai.
- The Vamp: In one route, she attempts to seduce Yuuki by performing a striptease. Fortunately he just freaked out and ran away.
Ruka Imagawa, Natsuki Hozokawa and Mugi HatakeyamaRoka's trio of friends.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Ruka was mistaken to be dating with Yuki at one point.
Shiny Days Characters
Voiced by: Madoka NaganoThe new heroine of Shiny Days and Setsuna's new roommate(thanks to the fact that she caused Setsuna's Wardrobe Malfunction ) as well as part-time Shrine Priestess. She is the daughter of Shun and Natsuhi.
- Gag Boobs: That rivals even Kotonoha's.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Heroic Bastard: She's the daughter of Shun and Natsuhi.
- Meaningful Name: Her name mean "to pray".
- Odd Name Out: The only Shun's daughter to not have name related to number/time/space.
- Parental Abandonment: Natsuhi abandoned her at the shrine because that she was pregnant(underage) with Shun.
Voiced by: Maki KobayashiInori's mother.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother:At the age of TWELVE no less.
- Dark and Troubled Past: In "Summer Radish Vacation" it is revealed she was once an aspiring child actress, but because her mother was repeatably deceived, causing fall into massive debt which resulted in she was taken away and almost sold as sex slave if Shun didn't rescued her.
- Meaningful Name: Her name mean "summer day", a nod to the game she first appeared, Summer Radish Vacation.
- Punny Name: Her full name is a pun on "NEVADA"(N.Ebata).
- Mommy Had A Good Reason For Abandoning You: Unlike Youko, Mai and Wakaba, Natsuhi was only around ten at most when she was pregnant with Inori
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Played straight in her debut game. Averted in Shiny Days.
- She Is All Grown Up: When Shun first met her she's the youngest love interest, now she is extremely beautiful.
- The Vamp: Inori believer her to be this, even called her "Adulteress Woman".
- Weapon of Choice: A box cutter knife, which she used to stab Tomaru of all people.
Youko Saionji formerly Inou
Voiced by: Megu AshiroSekai's mother and the former heroine of Summer Radish Vacation.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: In one route, she mentions that she was about the same age as Sekai when she became a mother, which is indeed true if you play Summer Radish Vacation.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: From brown (Summer Radish) to deep brown (Summer Days).
- Fridge Brilliance: This may be an attempt in-unniverse for Youko to run away from Shun.
- Babies Ever After: spoiler: In one ending of Shiny Days, Makoto impregnates her, Mai, and Setsuna, and the four of them then try to convince Sekai to become pregnant too.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Her ex-lover, Shun Hazama is in fact her half-brother, and she held feelings for her brother Ayumu in the past. This trope is also played if Makoto pursues her.
- Family Theme Naming: Youko, her sister Kagura and her nieceMai all have name related to Dance.
- Love Hurts: She still resents Shun to this day for not loving only her.
- Older Than They Look: This is Youko when she was in her teenage years.◊. 15 YEARS AGO.
- Parental Incest: In Summer Days and Shiny Days you can score a threesome with her and Sekai.
- Parents as People: It's hinted she's been raising Sekai all alone, and despite caring for her she can't always be there for her.
- Promoted to Love Interest: She literally takes over her daughter's place and becomes one of the most significant possible love interests for Makoto in Summer/Shiny Days.
- Shipper on Deck: Is this for Sekai and Makoto if you pursue Sekai's path in School Days and succeeding games. In Summer Days and Shiny Days, you can end up with Youko but if you play your cards right, Makoto scores a threesome with Sekai and Youko, who agrees to share her lover with her daughter. And she, of ALL people, salvages Sekai and Makoto's relationship in one of the game paths, leading to one of Sekai's best endings.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Does resemble her mother, Moegi, especially in term of personality.
- Talking To Herself: Shares a VA with Kokoro, Kotonoha's younger sister and Kazuha, in all adaptations, though they don't interact much, if at all, unless you count the Magical Heart Kokoro-chan OVA.
- Yandere: Played for laughs like Kokoro in Valentine OVA.
Voiced by: Shiho HisajimaKotonoha's mother.
- Absolute Cleavage
- Babies Ever After: Makoto impregnates her in one ending of Summer Days and Shiny Days.
- Buxom Is Better: Let's just say that once you meet Manami, it's rather apparent where Kotonoha gets her own endowments from.
- Gag Boobs
- Irony: Criticizes Youko for having stripperiffic outfits as her restaurant's waitress uniform... despite wearing one as well. Oops.
- Stripperiffic: Her normal attire in Summer/Shiny Days. Understandable. Her red dress in Cross Days averted this trope.
- Shipper on Deck: If you pursue Kotonoha, she'll be this.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Acts this way towards Makoto in Shiny Days.
Mai Kiyoura formerly Inou
Voiced by: Moe NatsumiSetsuna's mother.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: From brown (Summer Radish) to greenish-black (Summer Days).
- Babies Ever After: In one ending of Shiny Days, Makoto impregnates her, Youko, and Setsuna, and the four of them then try to convince Sekai to become pregnant too..
- Childhood Marriage Promise: With Shun, which Mai took very seriously.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a large yellow ribbon in her hair in Summer Radish Vacation.
- Incest Is Relative: Her ex-husband is Shun Hazama who is fact her half-brother/uncle. Again, this trope is play straight if Makoto pursues her.
- Official Couple: Used to be one with Shun in Summer Radish Vacation.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Played straight and subverted. Mai does get together with Shun for some times until she discovered Shun with other girls. She then ran away with Setsuna.
Voiced by: Hirosumi HiguchiThe main character from Summer Radish Vacation! game. Eldest son of Tomaru and Hatsuka Hazama. Father of Sekai, Setsuna, Nijou Girls, Inori and possibly Roka.
- All Men Are Perverts: Cannot withstand the sight of Futaba (his daughter with Wakaba) stripping in front of him and so..
- Brother-Sister Incest: More than half of his lovers have been his half-sisters, and he also had sex with his full sister, Toki Hazama. Shun may not be nearly as callous as his father, but he definitely inherited his sexual hangups.
- Parental Incest: Also, had a child with his own mother.
- Hero of Another Story: Of Summer Radish Vacation.
- Heroic Bastard:Hatsuka never legally married Tomaru and so this trope is in effect.
- Family Theme Naming: His given name Shun(瞬) can means moment. Setsuna also means moment.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: Like Tomaru, he is only mentioned and/or implied through little details. Finally make an appearance in Summer Days.
- Knight in Shining Armor: In sense, he is one to Kagura Inou as he rescued her from Tomaru. He's one to Natsuhi too.
- Luke, You Are My Father: He's Setsuna's father and Makoto's older half-brother. It's implied that Setsuna is aware of this.
- Only Sane Man: The only one of Tomaru's children who actively tries to foil him. However, he still lets his libido get the best of him at times.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Described as very good looking by several different characters and is just as much of a Chick Magnet as Makoto is.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: His reasons for having sex with the girls along with his sister and mother is because he wants to protect them from Tomaru's clutches.
Voiced by: Emi UwagawaMakoto's little sister, who lives separately from him since their parents are divorced, so Itaru only gets to visit Makoto infrequently. You don't get to see her at all in School Days unless you take a couple of very specific paths. She gets much more screentime in Summer Days since she stops by for a visit in that game's first episode.
- Alliterative Name
- Alternate Character Reading: Both Itaru and Tomaru are alternate readings of the same kanji (止) that both have as their given name.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Averted in School Days and subverted in Summer Days. Itaru loves big brother Makoto to pieces and her presence does not cause any problems in School Days, averting the trope. There's some childish behavior she exhibits sometimes in Summer Days (pouting over a lost opportunity for a parfait, for example, or pounding on the door if Makoto doesn't ring Setsuna's doorbell out of indecisiveness), but depending on how Makoto handles it he can actually use the opportunity to score free brownie points with Setsuna, subverting the trope.
- Cheerful Child: Very much so, and is beloved by the characters who meet her.
- Children Are Innocent: Does not know about her brother's dark side. And it's better that she does not.
- Hair Decorations: The pink hair bows in her Girlish Pigtails.
- Pet the Dog: Sort of. Makoto's usually indecisive and can even be played as a jerk who plays around with others' feelings, but he comes off as a saint when Itaru's around. However, she doesn't show up often enough in School Days for this trope to take full effect. It's really played straighter in Summer Days, where Itaru stays for a longer visit and the responsibility of looking after Itaru makes Makoto look more mature and reliable.
- Satellite Character: Itaru is extremely adorable and nice and lovable, but admittedly her character can be summed up as "Makoto's little sister."
- Strong Family Resemblance: Take away her pigtails and she looks exactly like a younger Makoto.
- Token Mini-Moe: Subverted; unlike Kokoro in Summer Days, Itaru does not have a sex scene. She does have a bath scene with her big brother Makoto in School Days if you take the very rare paths where she even shows up in the first place, but you can't see anything objectionable (the water is exactly at the height of Itaru's nipples, covering them up) and Itaru spends the scene fishing for a rubber ducky, as innocent as it gets. There's also one line by Itaru that she might like to be Makoto's bride, but unlike how some visual novels would handle it, it's not taken any more seriously than an extremely young girl who hasn't quite figured out that you don't love a boyfriend/fiancee/husband in the same manner that you would a family member.
Voiced by: GUNTAOtome's younger sister. She appears in Summer Days and Shiny Days.
- Alliterative Name
- Age-Inappropriate Dress: Her Island Days' outfit◊ focused a lot on her busty breasts and thigh.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: So Otome says.
- Brother-Sister Incest: One of the H-scenes in Summer Days involves her and Otome having a threesome with Makoto. The reason this counts as "incest" rather than just a regular threesome is because partway through the scene Karen starts pleasuring her sister Otome, not just Makoto.
- Buxom Is Better: Her bust is bigger than Otome's, and Karen is very much aware of this.
- The Cameo: She makes a brief appearance in the anime finale.
- Cheerful Child: Also a Genki Girl.
- Children Are Innocent: Averted, as Karen is one of the girls Makoto can end up with in Summer Days.
- Fille Fatale: Sometimes Played for Laughs, since Karen is a Genki Girl who loves to tease her older sister Otome about the latter's crush on Makoto.
- Girlish Pigtails: Similar to Itaru's.
- Meaningful Name: The Kanji for her name means "sweet, cute, lovely".
- Ironic Name: In term of western meaning, "pure", isn't the most exact thing that can be used describe Karen.
- Sempai Kouhai: Like the Nijou twins, Karen calls Makoto Senpai.
- Shotgun Wedding: Parodied in Summer/Shiny Days with Makoto.
- Shipper on Deck: Is this for Otome. If you aim for Karen's route, though, she feels slightly guilty, but you can score a threesome with both sisters if you play your cards right.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: If you take into account Otome's shy crush and Karen's straightforward methods of trying to win over Makoto, they are this.
Moeko ItouMakoto and Itaru's mother who works as nurse.
- Beauty Mark
- Hospital Hottie: She works as a nurse.
- Only Sane Woman: Seems to be to most sane mother of the Overflow Protagonists.
- Out of Focus
- Parents as People: Same deal as Youko, Moeko is always busy as a nurse to keep her son right in check.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To both Makoto and Itaru.
- Unwitting Pawn: Possibly. Moeko had been involved with Tomaru's adultery crimes far longer than one can imagine, having started from around the time that she helped Kagura Inou give birth to Hajime.
- Older Than They Look : There is some indication that she's roughly around her 50s.