When a character audibly sniffs another character, indicating they have an unhealthy attraction to them. Usually smelling hair or discarded articles of clothing.
See also Smells Sexy
and Lecherous Licking
Anime and Manga
- Krillin sniffs a diamond that was in Bulma's crotch in Dragon Ball.
- Wataru did it to Isumi's stole in Hayate the Combat Butler.
- In the Street Fighter manga, E.Honda takes advantage of having Chun-Li locked in a grab to sniff her. She is not pleased.
- Kosukegawa sniffs Motoko's bra (which snapped when Motoko's Split Personality Mikiri took over her body) in Change 123.
- Jack Rakan and Chamo at least had an excuse.
- When Gene first fights Suzuka, he makes her stumble by grabbing her sash. It comes off and he proceeds to unabashedly sniff it, much to Suzuka's embarassment.
- In Rebuild of Evangelion, Mari sniffs Shinji and says he smells good, like LCL.
- This is more of a subversion - first, because, for those not familiar with the setting, LCL is pretty much the reeking menstrual blood of an Eldritch Abomination, with Shinji himself (or at least his original series counterpart) having had a few minor freakouts about the stuff's stench and the way it clings to people who are regularly exposed, marking Mari as a major Nightmare Fetishist. Also, while Mari does react with a notable blush and a dreamy expression after the fact, her motivation for getting that close to Shinji was not sexual in nature - Sniffing him was simply a way to confirm him as a fellow EVA pilot, and she was thoroughly oblivious to his awkwardness and discomfort.
- Black Butler II: In the first episode Alois basically flirts with Sebastian via leaning into him and smelling him, pronouncing that he "smells good".
- In Koharu No Hibi Koharu does this in regards to Akira who she's Yandere for and doesn't want to forget his smell.
- In chapter 14 a top No. 6 official sniffs Dogkeeper's neck (instead of resorting to Lecherous Licking like in the anime) because he thinks she's a prostitute much to her disgust.
- Fruits Basket: In episode 5 there's a rather funny scene where Shigure sniffs a strawberry decorated towel that Tohru left behind. Yuki and Kyou beat him up upon seeing this.
- In Hekikai No Aion, Sheila smells Tatsuya's necktie at the loneliness of the infirmary. Hilarity Ensues when Tatsuya enters.
- In Sukisho episode 2 Yoru smells the perfume that Ran applied (he was forced to dress up as a princess).
- The Persona 4 anime has one of Shadow Kanji's beefcake compatriots taking a deep whiff of Chie. This understandably creeps her out.
- Tsukiyama Shuu from Tokyo Ghoul does this to Kaneki on multiple occasions. While there is some justification in that Ghouls have keener senses than humans and others had commented on Kaneki's unusual scent, Tsukiyama takes it to entirely different levels and beyond. After getting some of Kaneki's blood on a handkerchief, he keeps it in a plastic bag for months and periodically takes it out and huffs it like a junkie.
- In the Card Captor Sakura fic Shadow of the Dragon, Syaoran succumbs to temptation while waiting for Sakura to finish getting ready for a shopping trip and sniffs the panties she had worn to bed. Unfortunately, Sakura reenters the room and catches him in the act.
- In the WD Zorro fanfic The Eagle's Gaze, the antagonist does this to Esperanza...twice...
- Alec Trevalyen does this to Natalya in Goldeneye.
- Raiders of the Lost Ark: When the tramp steamer captain is trying to bluff the Nazis into thinking he killed Indiana Jones in order to get Marion, he takes a lock of her hair and sniffs it.
- During a party scene in The Dark Knight The Joker circles around Rachel and appears to sniff her.
- The elevator scene in Final Destination 2.
- Occurs with Clu to Quorra in TRON: Legacy.
- Paul Gallier does this to his estranged sister Irena in Cat People (1982 remake). However, they are, of course werecats and it's a part of their animalistic bonding ritual. Paul wants Irena to be his mate.
- Debbie in Devil In The Flesh a dangerous Stalker with a Crush for her teacher sneaks around his house at one point and sniffs his shirts in his closet.
- Ever After: Monsieur le Peu a Stalker with a Crush to Danielle sniffs her hair after he buys her.
- Harry Potter: Scabior, the head Snatcher in Deathly Hallows to Hermione. After he captures Hermione, he calls her "My lovely" and sniffs her hair.
- Blade Runner, While Priss is in J.F. Sebastian's apartment, she sniffs him while he's sleeping. She had acted (and would later act) in a seductive way toward him.
- In A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) remake, Freddy sniffs Nancy during a nightmare she's having.
- Serenity: It's more a case of Cloud Cuckoo Lander than attraction, but in the background of the video Kaylee shoots of Inara leaving her shuttle, River can be seen quite deliberately sniffing Inara's bed.
- James Bond himself sniffs Miss Taro's towel in Dr. No after he surprises her by making it to her apartment alive and she goes to pick up the telephone.
- Lolita. After Dolores is packed off to summer camp, a depressed Humbert throws himself into a pile of her clothes in her bedroom, quickly disentangling himself when the maid comes upstairs with a message. This scene is shown in the 1997 film adaptation (the 1962 Stanley Kubrick film has Humbert sniffing her pillow instead).
- Invoked in Red Dwarf with a Noodle Incident that inspired Space Corp Directive 196156:
" Any officer caught sniffing the saddle of the exercise bicycle in the women's gym will be discharged without trial."
- In the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Shadow", Spike enters Buffy's room while she's not home and sniffs one of her sweaters; when confronted, he claims it's a "predator thing."
- In "The Pack" Xander is possessed by the spirit of a hyena and starts sniffing Buffy's hair, a prelude to his Attempted Rape later on.
- And the situation is reversed in "Beer Bad" when Buffy becomes a Nubile Savage and starts sniffing Xander. Made even more triangular when, at the end of the episode, Willow is seated on a park bench with Buffy crouched next to her and Buffy sniffs her hair as well.
- A sign of Angel's breakdown in Season 2 when Darla has been giving him Erotic Dreams — at one stage he's standing behind Cordelia and starts sniffing her hair, causing her to run off. "Personal space bubble!"
- Mad TV: In the first "Can I Have Your Number" sketch, Darrel at one point sniffs the girl he's hitting on.
- A character on Victorious has done this to Tori, Jade, and the principal of their school.
- Two and a Half Men: Charlie did this in the beginning of "No Sniffing, No Wowing" to one of the paralegals.
- Papa Lazarou in The League of Gentlemen once sniffed a lady's hair.
- Boardwalk Empire: Agent Van Alden is so obsessed with Margaret Schroeder that he once stole and sniffed her hair ribbon.
- Oz: Keller once smells his boyfriend Beecher in "A Cock and Balls Story" and says that he "Smells Sexy". (the smell being Beecher's father's aftershave).
- Niles in Frasier likes to sniff Daphne's hair (when he's not going with the Longing Look), though of the non-perverted variety.
- Alexander the Great sniffs his general's (presumably Hephaistion, Alexander's historical lover) hair in Horrible Histories's "Alexandria" sketch as a Throw It In by the actor. Note that Horrible Histories is a family show.
- Heroes: Sylar does this to Claire once he manages to get her separated from Nathan and Peter. Claire is very much not amused.
Sylar: [after sniffing her hair] God, this is so much fun.
- Hannibal does this to Will Graham multiple times. Of course, he has Super Senses and is a cannibal, but he's a lot subtler about it with other people.
- Game of Thrones. The Titan's Bastard has a good sniff at Missandei's groin as she pours him wine, making her very uncomfortable.
- CSI had an episode called 'The Panty Sniffer'. Someone decided to make money selling panties for this kind of thing.
- In an eroge Snow Sakura, the protaginist Yuuiji comes across his cousin's panties, and may sniff them depend on your decision.
- Frollo sniffs Esmeralda's hair in the Disney version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
- Family Guy:
- Quagmire sniffs a lady's shoe.
- Herbert tells God all he wants is one sniff of Chris' cap. Along comes a gust of wind, and Herbert's wish is fulfilled... except now he wants more.
- Brian performs the normal "dog sniffing another dog's rear" greeting, but being "more person than dog", everyone looks at him like he's a perv.
- Australian politician Troy Buswell got in trouble after he sniffed a female colleague's chair.