"Why couldn't Xander be possessed by some puppies?"
We open on a school field trip at the zoo. Buffy is harassed by four mean kids, but she brushes them off. The mean kids move on to harass some nice but nerdy kid, but Principal Flutie breaks it up. The mean kids decide to take the nerd to visit the hyenas, who are off limits for some reason. Xander goes after them to try to rescue him, but Buffy and Willow get stopped from entering the Hyena cage by some creepy zookeeper who says some creepy stuff about hyenas. Then the mean kids and Xander look into the green glowy eyes of the quarantined hyenas and get possessed by them. This all has something to do with Africa, as we learn from the insistent African-sounding soundtrack that goes on whenever the hyenas are around.Xander doesn't seem quite right after that. First off, he doesn't like croissants anymore, he is mean to Willow and laughs at mean jokes. He seems to be in with the mean kids now, which is also very un-Xander. It seems that the metaphor might be that mean cliques act like a pack of hyenas, preying on the weak. There follows an epic dodgeball scene and an adorable scene where Buffy holds a piglet, but soon the episode goes from there to dark.The pack surrounds and eats the adorable piglet, and then Xander goes after Buffy and tries to rape her. (She hits him in the head with a desk.) After that, the pack (minus Xander) gets sent to the principal's office where they eat the principal.They. Eat. The. Principal.Buffy, Willow, and Giles enlist the zookeeper's help to transpossess the students(put the hyena back in the animals rather than the humans) and Buffy lures the pack back to the zoo. However, the zookeeper turns out to be planning to take the spirits into his own body. He knocks out and hides Giles, performs the ritual(with a knife at Willow's throat) and then tries to rip Willow's throat out. Xander tackles him and the zookeeper is thrown into the hyena enclosure. They haven't been fed.Later, Xander asks the girls what he did while possessed. He freaks out at the idea of eating the piglet and is relieved to hear he was uninvolved in eating the principal. Buffy decides not to tell him about the Attempted Rape. Once the girls are gone, Giles arrives and tells Xander that he can't find any record of post-possession memory loss, then promises that the secret is safe with him.
- Attempted Rape: Hyena!Xander on Buffy. She fights him off.
- The Bait: Buffy leading the pack to the zoo.
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: Hyena!Xander appears to be making a Love Confession to Willow, but then he cruelly humiliates her.
- Battle Discretion Shot: Buffy drags in an unconscious Hyena!Xander.Willow: Oh, my God, Xander! What happened?
Buffy: I hit him.
Willow: With what?
Buffy: A desk.
- Cerebus Syndrome: The episode takes a plotline which sounds somewhat goofy - bullies become possessed by the spirits of evil Hyenas - and slowly makes it darker and darker until we get scenes of cannibalism, attempted rape and attacks on children.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?Giles: Xander's taken to teasing the less fortunate?
Giles: And, there's been a noticeable change in both clothing and demeanor?
Giles: And, well, otherwise all his spare time is spent lounging about with imbeciles.
Buffy: It's bad, isn't it.
Giles: It's devastating. He's turned into a sixteen-year-old boy. Course, you'll have to kill him.
- Everybody Hates Mathematics: This time itís Xander.
- Evil Detecting Pig: Herbert squirms and squeals when Hyena!Xander passes by.
- Exit, Pursued by a Bear: The last we see of the zookeeper is a hyena dragging him off screen by the ankles.
- Faking Amnesia: After Buffy and Willow save him, Xander tells them that he can't remember a thing and hopes he didn't do anything "too embarrassing". Giles, however, sees right through it.Giles: I've been reading up on my animal possession and I cannot find anything anywhere about memory loss afterward."
Xander: Did you tell them that?
Giles: Your secret dies with me.
Xander: Shoot me, stuff me, mount me.
- Foreshadowing: Buffy says they need to put the hyena back in the hyena and they do. First they put it in the zookeeper. Then they put him in the hyena.
- Gang of Bullies: The human pack taunt, harrass, and attempt to push a boy into a hyena cage.
- Genius Bonus: Buffy says that "Apparently Noah didn't want Hyenas on the ark because he thought they were an evil, impure mixture of dogs and cats." Hyenas are cats or at least, they're feliform, rather than caniform. They're related to cats, weasels, ferrets, and mongooses. Their doggy shape and pack behavior is convergent evolution.
- Gory Discretion Shot: The pack jumps on Principal Flutie and the camera pans to his photo on the desk, then cuts to Willow watching a documentary showing hyenas feeding.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The zookeeper is eaten by his own hyenas.
- The Hyena: One of the clues of the possession is a hyena laugh.
- Hypocritical Humor: Buffy is telling Willow that a relationship with Angel wouldn't work, then perks up when she thinks Willow has just seen him.
- I Ate WHAT?: Xander isn't happy hearing that he ate raw pig.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Poor Principal Flutie.
- In with the In Crowd: Xander starts hanging out with a group of bullies. Judging everyone else's reaction, they are not the 'in crowd' so much as the 'pest crowd'.
- Infant Immortality: A woman with a baby stumbles across the pack, but they're too busy digesting their last meal to chase her.
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One: Buffy brushes off the taunts of the mean kids, but Rhonda's "Were you this popular at your old school? Before you got kicked out?" clearly hits home.
- Oh Crap!:
- Buffy looking in the book at what hyena possession leads to.
- The Scoobies realising the pack will go to Xander, and Willow is alone with him.
- Peer Pressure Makes You Evil: Initially this is what Giles thinks. Buffy thinks it's more along the lines of 'possession pressure'.
- Perverted Sniffing: Xander sniffs Buffy's hair early in the episode and then again during the attmpted rape.
- Power Walk: By the Pack.
- Self-Disposing Villain: Downplayed. The villain is eaten by a hyena by Buffy throwing him into the hyena cage.
- Scully Syndrome: Lampshaded by Buffy to Giles.Buffy: I cannot believe that you, of all people, are trying to Scully me. There is something supernatural at work here.
- Shout-Out: Buffy refers to the hyena-possessed bullies as the "winged monkeys".
- Talking Your Way Out: Hyena!Xander tries talking Willow into letting him out of the book cage; fortunately Willow isn't as naive as she acts.
- Teens Are Monsters:
Giles: Buffy, boys can be cruel. They tease. They prey on the weak. It's a natural teen behavior pattern.
- Kyle, Tor, Heidi and Rhonda are already mean prior to the possession.
- Also with:
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Xander quickly goes from goofy jokester to sadistic asshole in this episode. In his defence however, he was possessed, and thus not fully in control of his actions.
- Weirdness Censor: Flutie was "eaten by a pack of wild dogs".
- What Happened to the Mouse?: There's no word on what happened to the bullies after they're de-hyena'd, and the fact that they have to deal with the memory of eating a living human being. Supplementary material reveals that all four of them survived until Graduation and one of the girls became a vegan.
- You're Insane!: Flutie's Famous Last Words after he is slashed and before he is eaten.