Nightmare Fuel: School Days
has already been mentioned in the Anime section, but the TV series has nothing on some of the bad endings of the original game and/or its updated releases.
- The realisation that even when a good ending is given you're now boyfriend / friend to at least one psychotic girl who could snap at any minute...
- On the other hand, consider that Kotonoha only goes psychotic in the harder routes because she was under so much pressure in them; a cheating boyfriend who sleeps around and abuses her trust and plays around with her feelings, being bullied and painted as a slut by every girl in the school for years because she happens to have a bigger chest size than they do, which is something she's very insecure about, and they are jealous and then after finally meeting some people who don't care about that they betray her repeatedly, and she's raped by someone that professes to like her and it's likely that nobody would believe her if she said anything about it. All of that would do a number on anyone. So long as Makoto never cheats on her and continues to stand up for her like he does in the And To Kotonoha ending, she'll be nice and sane. Might even develop some confidence down the line.
- this new ending for HQ remake in which a really evil-looking Sekai pushes Kotonoha into the path of an oncoming train, in full view of everyone in the train station. Makoto grabs onto her hand in an attempt to pull her back, but he's a second too late - and you can actually SEE the train hitting Kotonoha, leaving Makoto staring in shock and clutching her severed hand.
- This original PC ending in which Kotonoha slices Sekai's throat in front of Makoto. Damn that High-Pressure Blood and Kotonoha's Evil Laugh.
- Another original ED where more High-Pressure Blood is had when Kotonoha throws herself off a building in front of Sekai and Makoto. This leaves Makoto so traumatized that he breaks up with Sekai and swears off romance and dating forever.
- Also, let's think of it. What makes the game potentially so, so scary is that... here are no super evil powers, no complicated conspiracies, no external influences. The plot of the VN/anime is made of bad decisions, inexperienced kids dealing in the worst ways possible with how Love Hurts, tripping each other to get what they want for themselves or others, etc. This franchise, basically, is about normal persons getting the absolute worst out of each other. Dysfunction Junction or what?
- The Cross Days manga has 3 moments.
The first one is when Yuuki finds out that◊ both Kotonoha and Sekai are Makoto's girlfriends after he thought Makoto was two-timing Kotonoha behind her back◊, which is oddly eerie in the way it's presented. plus his horrified expressions when finding it out◊, each word uttered by Kotonoha pushing him further over the edge◊.
The second is, when Makoto blurts out to Sekai and Kotonoha that he's "Yu", Kotonoha calls him to the roof...and we are treated to this expression of Kotonoha◊. Made even worse by the fact that it comes out of nowhere, and that it's genuine anger with zero Yandere traits. She's sweet girl on one page, and next page, instant furious expression.
The last one, at the end of the chapter the aforementioned moment takes place, Kotonoha calls Yuuki out on deceiving her and breaking her trust by crossdressing as Yu to get close to Makoto and lying to everyone...which sends him over the Despair Event Horizon and to try THIS◊. Yuuki ultimately gets better, thanks to Roka's Diving Save for him.