Characters: Fairy Tail Official Guilds
aka: Fairy Tail Official Guilds Before Sirius Island
Besides Fairy Tail, a number of different guilds exist to help others, though some end up hindering each other.Here be spoilers.Back to the main character index
open/close all folders
Phantom Lord is the guild that was considered the single most powerful guild in Fiore before Fairy Tail came to prominence. An entire story arc is dedicated to a war that breaks out between the two guilds, which ends with Phantom Lord's defeat and ultimate disbandment for breaking guild rules and starting the war in the first place.
Jose PorlaThe master of Phantom Lord, and one of the Ten Wizard Saints. He is Makarov's self-fashioned rival, and is jealous of Fairy Tail's quick rise to fame. Upon learning of Lucy Heartfilia's membership in Fairy Tail, he decides to kidnap her and take control of her family's fortune, waging war against Fairy Tail. He uses Darkness Magic to summon ghostly shades.
Voiced by: Takashi Matsuyama (JP), Ed Blaylock (EN)
- Arc Villain: Of the Phantom Lord arc.
- Art Evolution: When he was first intruded, his design was rather silly and definitely invoked Narm. However within a few chapters and episodes, his design became more distinct and he ended up looking more Badass as a result.
- Badass: The fact that is is a Wizard Saint alone is qualification. His guild has two base of operations, one turns into a mecha, and it has a giant cannon on it. Jose made sure that Phantom Lord was seriously stacked.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: His "Shade" spell creates countless phantom-like Mooks. Not to mention just kicking up his aura makes people feel sick by being near him.
- Big Bad: Of the Phantom Lord arc, where he sees his destruction of Fairy Tail and his defeat of Makarov as his chance to prove who the best is, all while trying to kidnap Lucy and bring her to her father.
- Big Bad Wannabe: While he nearly succeeds in destroying the guild, he utterly fails in defeating Makarov. Makarov obliterates him without even trying and in contrast to the later villains like Hades, Zeref, and Acnologia, he's hardly a footnote.
- Black Eyes of Evil: His eyes turn black when he fights Makarov in the anime and good lord does it look terrifying.
- Casting a Shadow: His shadow involves creating shades or just plain out shadows.
- Classic Villain: Dark powers? Check. Envious of Fairy Tail? Check. Dresses in blacks and dark purples? Check.
- Dark Is Evil: Do we really need to say?
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: He assumes Fairy Tail is protecting Lucy from him because she is rich.
- Evil Redhead: A bit hard to tell under his hat, but his hair is a very dark red.
- Evil Sorcerer: His greatest flaw is even Pride.
- Faux Affably Evil: Wears a thin facade of politeness that crumbles away at the smallest nudge.
- Foil: To Makarov obviously. Both are Wizard Saints and the respective Guild Masters of their guild. Jose is a younger Smug Snake who happily starts wars for petty reasons, while Makarov is much older, is fairly humble of his abilities, and only fights other guilds to protect his "Children".
- Green-Eyed Monster: Though he'd never admit it, he's clearly jealous of Fairy Tail's rise to fame.
- Guyliner: Wears purple lipstick.
- No Kill Like Overkill: He tries to obliterate Fairy Tail's guildhall with the magic cannon Jupiter, and later all of Magnolia with Abyss Break, just because he wants them to hand over a girl and use money she doesn't have.
- Noodle Incident: Jose's personal grudge with Makarov began with an event that somehow involved alcohol.
- Obviously Evil: A witch's hat and bat wings are just the start.
- The Rival: To Makarov and Fairy Tail as a whole. Also a Rival Turned Evil, in a sense.
- Unknown Rival: Makarov is aware of this, but considering just how vast in power Makarov is compared to Jose, Makarov does not feel the same.
- Smug Snake: He's convinced that Phantom Lord was the strongest guild in the country. He was wrong.
- Nonstandard Character Design: At least when first introduced, his overall look and design is very different from the other characters.
Element 4A team of four elemental magic specialists with power equivalent to that of Fairy Tail's S-Class wizards.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Each one practices one of the four classical elements
- Gratuitous Foreign Language:
- Odd Name Out: "Totomaru" has nothing to do with fire.
- Theme Naming: Each of them is named after their respective elements, except for Totomaru.
AriaThe leader of Element 4, also known as "Aria of the Great Sky". He wears a blindfold and constantly cries over everything. He specializes in a form of Air Magic called Airspace, which allows him to drain his opponents' strength.
Voiced by: Katsui Taira (JP), Chris Rager (EN)
- Blow You Away: Interestingly, Aria's magic isn't so much "wind" as it is "air".
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Aria at his strongest is one-shotted by Erza, who was even injured at the time.
- Likewise when he tries to do another sneak attack on Marakov at the end of the arc. Marakov knocks him out with a stretched punch without even looking at him.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Manages to successfully take out Makarov with a sneak attack. Though, in a straight up fight, he didn't stand a chance.
- It Only Works Once: Yeah Marakov wasn't falling for that same sneak attack twice.
- Mana Drain: One of his ultimate attacks, a bane for any opposing wizard who can't avoid it in time.
- Power Limiter: His blindfold.
Juvia LockserSee Fairy Tail Tenrou Group.
SolA creepy man with a French accent, also known as "Sol of the Great Earth." He is the Element 4's Earth Magic specialist who can merge his body with the ground.
Voiced by: Eiji Sekiguchi (JP), Barry Yandell (EN)
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Sol is at the wrong end of it when Elfman finally transforms completely.
- Dishing Out Dirt: He is "Of the the Great Earth".
- Everything Sounds Sexier in French: Averted; he is much closer to terrifying than Fetish Fuel.
- Faux Affably Evil: Very jolly and polite even when engaging in Mind Rape or beating people half to death.
- Gratuitous French: His attacks all have French names, and he drops French phrases in his sentences:
- "Sable Danse" (Sand Dance)
- "Plâtre Sonate" (Plaster Sonata)
- "Roche Concerto" (Rock Concerto)
- "Merci la Vie" (Thank Life)
- High-Class Glass: A monocle over his right eye.
- Lean and Mean: The skinniest of the Element Four, but also physically the strongest.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Despite his skinny build, he's easily able to overpower Elfman's human form. Lampshaded by Elfman himself for underestimating his strength.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: He Mind Rapes Elfman by reminding him of his dead little sister while his older sister is being crushed in front of him, which restores Elfman's ability to do a Full Body Take-Over.
- Oh, Crap: When his attempt to Mind Rape Elfman instead spurs him on.
- Shapeshifter Guilt Trip: Threw Elfman off his game by forming golems that look like Lisanna.
- Taken for Granite: Sol's most powerful spell in the anime, "Merci la Vie", transforms his opponent into rock (while additionally forcing said opponent to relive the worst moments of their life for all eternity). It doesn't work with Elfman though.
- Training from Hell: Parodied in the anime; after witnessing Elfman's transformation in a huge monster, he affirms that all that psychological torture he put on him was done in order to unlock his Take-Over, just so he could weasel his way out of a beating. It doesn't work.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: His hair is green.
TotomaruElement 4's Fire Magic specialist, also known as "Totomaru of the Great Fire". He uses a a form of Fire Magic called Rainbow Fire that lets him conjure multi-colored flames that have different properties based on their color.
Voiced by: Daisuke Endou (JP), Justin Cook (EN)
- Chekhov's Gunman: Totomaru becomes Romeo's teacher over the Time Skip.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: After watching Natsu eat his fire attack, Totomaru shoots one that smells (and tastes) like burning garbage.
- Heel-Face Turn: Considering he's a teacher now, it's likely he changed his ways after the war with Fairy Tail. Romeo figures he's teaching him just to annoy Natsu and the other Fairy Tail members.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Totomaru has one, just in case his usual method isn't enough. In the anime, Natsu uses it to shatter the lacrima to the Jupiter cannon he guards.
- Multicolored Hair: Black and white.
- Oh, Crap: When he finds he can't control Natsu's fire at the height of their battle and prevent him from fighting it at the Jupiter's cannon lacrima.
- Playing with Fire: Totomaru shows just how varied fire magic can be, as he claims he has absolute mastery over it. He can even control the fire created by other people, to a certain degree anyway.
- Technicolor Fire: Totomaru's magic allows him to wield flames with a variety of effects, each one distinguishable by its color.
A guild whose members are descended from the Nirvit, an ancient tribe that developed the ancient magic Nirvana. Or so they claim; most of its members are actually just an illusion created by its master for the sole purpose of caring for Wendy.
- Tomato in the Mirror: The entire guild is an illusion created by Robaul to look after Wendy.
RobaulThe master of Cait Shelter. He is actually the ghost of the last remaining member of the Nirvit tribe, refusing to rest until Nirvana is destroyed.
Voiced by: Kazuya Tatekabe (JP), Bill Flynn (EN)
- Cool Old Guy: He creates an entire guild of people just to give a little girl a home.
- Dead All Along: Like the rest of the Nirvit Tribe, he's been dead for years
- Running Gag: He has a habit of drinking something and then talking without swallowing first.
- Master of Illusion: Probably the strongest illusionist in the series, since he is able to maintain the illusion of a guild for a full seven years. Jura even comments on this.
A guild that establishes itself as the strongest in Magnolia Town over the Time Skip. Fairy Tail becomes indebted to the guild
- Butt Monkey: To the point of being the only reason for their existence!
- Bad Samaritan: They give money to Fairy Tail when it falls into debt, then regularly (often violently) harass them whenever the time comes to pay them back.
- Jerkass: They treat the non-tenrou group like dirt.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Makarov, Erza, and Mirajane pay them back seven years worth of the same abuse they put Fairy Tail through.
BanabosterThe master of Twilight Ogre.
- Oh, Crap: When he realizes he's pissed off three Fairy Tail wizards you'd hate to have as your enemy.
ThibaultFairy Tail's debt collector who comes every month with his gang to trash the place when they please, at least until Fairy Tail's strongest members return.
- Carry a Big Stick: A giant club that he threatens Romeo with
- Cheshire Cat Grin: As seen in the picture.
- The Worf Effect: He's apparently strong enough to intimidate Fairy Tail into submission. Then Natsu shows up and one-shots him with a single hit. Not only that, it later turns out the "weaker" Fairy Tail members were merely holding themselves back to avoid needless violence, and could have clobbered him and his gang any time they wanted.
- He and his men show up again for a single scene in the Grand Magic Games arc where they try to take on Natsu, Gray, and Elfman for revenge. Again, it doesn't end well for Ogre.
A guild formed specifically to rival Fairy Tail. Introduced as a dark guild that acts outside the Balam Alliance, it becomes an official guild over the Time Skip. They disband sometime after the Grand Magic Games.
- Deliberately Bad Example: Saber Tooth doesn't seem so bad compared to these guys, at least at first.
- Evil Counterpart: To Fairy Tail. So much so they even claim their magic is made exclusively to counter Fairy Tail's.
- Evil Is Petty: It's as if their sole reason of entering the Games was to simply troll Fairy Tail.
- The Hyena: They are the only ones in the whole stadium who cheer and laugh after Kurohebi tears Toby's sock.
- Informed Ability: According to Ivan, the guild was specifically designed to defeat Fairy Tail by exploiting their weaknesses. Judging by how Laxus single-handedly defeats them all, one wouldn't think so.
- It's Personal: Towards Fairy Tail. The feeling becomes mutual when Fairy Tail finds out that they attacked Wendy before the games even started.
- Reverse Mole: Gajeel pretends to be a Raven Tail member to spy on them for Makarov.
- Smug Snake: It's a trait that seems to run strongly in this guild.
- Trying to Catch Me Fighting Dirty: Their basic way of fighting when the tides turn against them. It bites them in the ass on third day of the Grand Magic Games, when Laxus exposes their foul play and gets them barred from the tournament for three years. Plus Yajima was suspicious of them from day one.
- Would Hurt a Child: They attack Wendy as their way of saying hello to Fairy Tail.
Ivan DreyarThe master and founder of Raven Tail, as well as Makarov's son and Laxus's father. He seeks revenge against his father after being expelled from Fairy Tail for bad behavior.
Voiced by: Masaharu Satou (JP), Bruce Carey (EN)
- Abusive Dad: He put Dragon Slayer lacrima in Laxus, which was said to save his sickly body as a child. Then it turns out Ivan plans to remove it from his body to sell it when it becomes more powerful as Laxus grows older.
- Antagonistic Offspring: To Makarov.
- Bad Boss: He violently beat Flare offstage for her poor performance against Lucy. Possibly due to the fact she needed outside help to win.
- Big Bad Ensemble: He and Ziemma are the leaders of the only two teams that actually are bad in the games, though Future Rogue is the one manipulating the Eclipse Project. However, Ivan loses his position when he and his team are eventually kicked out of the games.
- Gratuitous Russian: Similar to his dad, "Ivan" is a Russian-sounding name, as is "Alexei".
- Hypocrite: Doesn't have any problems setting all of his guild's elites on Laxus, his own son, and it's implied that he would have tortured the guy in order to find Lumen Histoire. After Laxus decimates said elites, he's begging Laxus not to hurt him—on account of them being father and son.
- Master of Illusion: He uses a magical projection of himself to sit in the rafters while he participates in the Grand Magic Games disguised as Alexei. He also uses illusion magic to trick the entire audience that he is curb-stomping Laxus just so he can have a moment to reveal his plans to his son.
- Oedipus Complex: He is on both sides of this trope.
- Our Souls Are Different: From the little bit seen of his magic, he seems to be able to turn souls into shikigami, which are small pieces of paper. He can also use them to cast a Kamehame Hadoken-like beam.
- Trying to Catch Me Fighting Dirty: As he's the master of Raven Tail, he's also the most triumphant example of this within the group. Not only does he enter the competition himself under an alias, despite it being forbidden for guild masters to compete, but he also uses illusions to make the outcome of the fight appear to be whatever he wants it to be, and has all of his guild's elite gang up on Laxus.
- Villainous Breakdown: He starts to lose that haughty air of his once he learns from Laxus that Makarov has been studying his guild for quite some time thanks to Gajeel's espionage. Things keep going downhill as Laxus dominates his elite members right in front of him. By the time Laxus faces him, he's begging his son not to beat him up because they're family.
AlexeiThe leader of the team of wizards sent out to represent Raven Tail in the Grand Magic Games. He is actually Ivan in disguise. Donning a suit of armor, Ivan leads his elite team of wizards under this alias during the Grand Magic Games in the hopes of confronting his son Laxus personally.
Voiced by: Masaharu Satou (JP), Bruce Carey (EN)
- Bling-Bling-BANG!: Dressed from top to toe in a gilded armor.
- The Dragon: Appears to be one to Ivan, until he takes his helmet off.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: He violently beats Flare for her poor performance in her match against Lucy in the tournament, and threatens to do so again when she tries to tease Lucy again.
- Scary Impractical Armor: His armor is designed for the sole purpose of intimidation and hiding his own identity.
ObraA strange-looking mage who is capable of draining all of the magical energy from his opponent, thus leaving them too exhausted to use any magic themselves. He's apparently lazy and doesn't actually fight unless forced to do so, and is usually seen with a small imp-like creature nearby. He's actually apparently a puppet; the real Obra is, in fact, the imp. Oh, and he has a connection to Zeref.
Voiced by: Yoshimitsu Shimoyama (JP), Tyler Walker (EN)
- Anti-Magic: Specifically, it seems to work by istantly emptying the magical energy of the target, leaving it exhausted.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: His skin is bluish-gray.
- Black Eyes of Evil: His eyes are pitch black, like those of a bird.
- The Dog Was the Mastermind: He's just a puppet animated by an imp, who is apparently the real Obra.
- Let's Get Dangerous: He's said by his teammates to only fight well when he's forced to be. And until that happens, aside from his Anti-Magic powers, he's pretty weak.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Actually hard to tell because of his mantle, but he seems to have extra arms.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: The last time his imp is seen after swearing revenge on Fairy Tail? He's hanging around Zeref.
- Right-Hand Attack Dog: Is shown using a small, black imp to use his magic, which is apparently his true self.
- Seeing Through Another's Eyes: Zeref was using the imp in this way during the Grand Magic Games.
- Slasher Smile: The imp. Constantly.
- The Stoic: Nothing can seemingly faze him. Makes sense since he's a puppet.
- Trying to Catch Me Fighting Dirty: Even before it was his turn to fight in the Grand Magic Games—attacking Wendy before the competition even started, and draining Lucy's magic just before she can use Urano Metria on Flare.
- The Voiceless: Subverted. The imp is the real Obra, and he can certainly talk.
- We Will Meet Again: The imp swears revenge on Fairy Tail, right before it runs away after his puppet is defeated.
- The Worf Effect: An actually justified and invoked example. Obra decides to go for an awful performance rather than showing his powers, since one of the day's commentators is a member of the Magic Council. Later played straight when Laxus takes him out in one strike before he can use his powers on him.
Flare CoronaA Raven Tail mage who uses Hair Magic to fight. She was born in the Sun Village and was raised by Giants, and is really not that bad of a person; it had just so happened that because Raven Tail were the first humans she met after she left the Village, she fell into a bad crowd. She later apologized to Lucy, and has since turned over a new leaf.
Voiced by: Shizuka Ito (JP), Alex Moore (EN)
- Absolute Cleavage: It helps that her guild tattoo is on her right breast.
- Animal Motifs: A wolf, apparently, which she can transform her hair into.
- Ax-Crazy: Initially. Very downplayed during the Sun Village arc, if she hasn't lost this entirely.
- Berserk Button:
- Hates getting her hair damaged.
- She also doesn't take kindly to those who would harm her hometown, the Sun Village.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves Lucy and Wendy from being sniped during their fight against Sylph Labyrinth, evening out the numbers for the fight.
- Braids of Action: When ever she isn't fighting, her hair is tied in a pair of braids that are then tied together at the small of her back.
- Curtains Match the Window: Red eyes, red hair.
- Creepy Good: After her Heel-Face Turn.
- Creepy Shadowed Undereyes: She has these basically all the time. Until the Sun village Arc.
- Designated Girl Fight: Her first fight in the Grand Magic Games is a battle against Lucy.
- Dirty Coward: Not only threatens to attack Asuka to get Lucy to stop attacking, but gloats over her "victory" after Obra saves her from an attack that surely would have beaten her. Subverted because she deeply regrets it and apologizes.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Until the Sun Village Arc.
- Evil Redhead: She eventually redeems herself and leaves Raven Tail, though she's still creepy.
- Freudian Excuse: She claims she felt out of place in her village and just fell in with the bad crowd that was Raven Tail because she didn't know how to interact with regular people. More or less going along with their jerkass actions just because they were doing it.
- Fish out of Water: Having lived in a village of giants her whole life, she becomes this when she decides to leave. It's ultimately the main reason she joined Raven Tail.
- The Gadfly: In the OVA, she tells Lucy she wants payback for their earlier battle, leading Lucy to have some dirty thoughts; Flare then says she's just kidding, and is actually there to apologize.
- Later still, Flare jokingly says she was stalking Lucy in secret ever since their last meeting.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: An X-shaped scar on her shoulder.
- Heel-Face Turn: After Raven Tail is disbanded, she decides to return to her home in the Sun Village, only to find it frozen. When she learns Lucy and her friends are there to help, she joins up with them.
- Hypocritical Humor: She calls Lucy a dumb blonde. However, she doesn't seem to be the brightest crayon of the box herself.
- Interspecies Adoption: She was raised by giants in the Sun Village.
- It's Personal: She helps Fairy Tail find the Eternal Flame and unfreeze the Sun Village because that's where she was raised.
- Letting Her Hair Down: She undoes her braids whenever she gets in action.
- Meaningful Name: Both "flare" and "corona" are words relating to the sun. It makes sense, then, when you consider she was raised in the Sun Village.
- Ms. Fanservice: Though the general idea is spoiled by that creepy gaze of hers.
- The Nicknamer: She seems to have a habit of addressing others outside her guild by the color of their hair; so far she has called Lucy "Blondie", Wendy "Blue-hair", and Natsu "Cherry-hair". For good measure, she calls herself "Redhead".
- Oh, Crap: When Lucy is about to use Urano Metria on her. Very similar to the one she has later when Alexei threatens to beat her for almost losing.
- Pet the Dog: After Raven Tail is disqualified from the tournament, Flare apologizes to Lucy for their earlier battle.
- Playing with Fire/Flaming Hair: Her hair ignites when she uses it.
- Raised by Natives: GIANTS, to be specific. Male Giants on top of that.
- Psycho Lesbian: May or may not be one. She at least seems to make a creepy fixation on Lucy after their fight. She also uses her hair to "clean every nook and cranny" of Cana's body.
- Psychopathic Womanchild: Thanks to being a Fish out of Water.
- Rapunzel Hair: They can apparently grow veeery long, as she was able to reach Asuka among the crowd while she was staying in the middle of the arena.
- Shaping Your Attacks: A wolf made out of flaming hair.
- Stalker with a Crush: For Lucy after her Heel-Face Turn. Subverted as she quickly says she was joking.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Even after losing to her, Lucy can't help but feel sorry for her after seeing how poorly she's treated by her guild, and even after Laxus curb-stomps her.
- Tears of Joy: When the giants welcome her back to the Sun Village with open arms, when she expected them to do the opposite.
- Thousand-Yard Stare: She always seems to have this expression on her, making her even more creepy then she already is. She loses it during the Sun Village Arc.
- Trying to Catch Me Fighting Dirty: Once Lucy starts to gain the advantage in their fight, Flare has to resort to targeting Asuka just to stand a chance.
- Tsundere: Shows shades of this when she apologizes to Lucy.
- Underboobs: And Hiro loves showing them off.
- When She Smiles: In Chapter 347 after Lucy helps her. Brought Up to Eleven in Chapter 354, complete with Tears of Joy.
- Would Hurt a Child: Or at least threaten to. We don't know if she would have actually gone through with it or not.
KurohebiA mysterious and cruel wizard whose magic Mimic lets him copy another wizard's magic and use it for himself.
Voiced by: Yoshimitsu Shimoyama (JP), Josh Grelle (EN)
- Animal Motifs: Snake
- The Comically Serious: After hearing Toby's secret and pointing out the sock around his neck.
- Establishing Character Moment: After tearing up Toby's beloved sock right in front of him, he tells Toby how much he loves to destroy what others hold dear.
- Guyliner: Also wears black lipstick.
- Kick the Dog: Almost literally to Toby. Though considering all he does is tear up a sock, it comes off as more of a Poke the Poodle.
- Meaningful Name: It translates into "Black Snake". However he claims that it's not his real name.
- Power Copying: His main power. He somehow manages to copy Max's sand magic, which he uses for the tournament.
NullpuddingA sly hunchbacked man whose magic lets him grow spikes around his body like a pufferfish.
Voiced by: Eiji Miyashita (JP), Brad Jackson (EN)
- Acrofatic: Although he isn't really fat, he's more agile than he looks.
- Animal Motifs: A pufferfish. He can grow spikes or bloat his body parts.
- Evil Cripple: He seems to be hunchbacked.
- Genius Bruiser: Certainly smarter than he looks.
- It's Personal/Troll: Technically, the participants to the Hidden event can attack whoever they want. He focuses his attacks almost exclusively on Gray.
- Lightning Bruiser: Though you wouldn't say by looking at him.
One of the official guilds in Fiore that participates in the Grand Magic Games.
- Butt Monkey: Clearly shown in the Magic Games. They only win one event, obtain low scores in the rest, and are usually the first ones to be defeated. In the battle rounds, most members are curb-stomped just to show how strong their opponents are. They ultimately end up taking last place in the tournament.
- Mashima ultimately decides to not to give any members except Bacchus a profile, lumping the others into one page to avoid having to make up any distinct personalities.
- Catch Phrase: "Wild Four!"
- Collared by Fashion: Most members wear spiked dog collars.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Their name can be translated as "Four-Headed Guard Hound", but they're more neutral characters.
- Defeat Means Friendship: In the anime, Bacchus and Rocker have a friendly drinking contest with Fairy Tail after losing to Elfman and being renamed "Quatro Puppy".
- Dumb Muscle: All of the members participating in the Grand Magic Games have low stats in intellect with the exception of the guildmaster Goldmine, and possibly Bacchus.
- Embarrassing Nickname/Fluffy the Terrible: Elfman and Bacchus make a wager during the Grand Magic Games that if Elfman wins, then Quatro Cerberus will be renamed "Quatro Puppy" for the rest of the tournament. Elfman wins.
GoldmineThe master of Quatro Cerberus and an old friend of Makarov's.
Voiced by: Yoshimitsu Shimoyama (JP), Steve Summers (Lullabye arc), Chris Ryan (Grand Magic Games) (EN)
- Badass Grandpa: Appears middle-aged, but doesn't even bat an eye when faced with Lullaby.
- Collared by Fashion: A spiked dog collar.
- Cool Shades: Never seen without them.
- Mr. Exposition: He's one of the first characters to explain who Zeref is and what kind of impact he left on the world.
- Nice Hat: It even has spikes around it.
RockerA Quatro Cerberus wizard whose magic Drill 'n Rock lets him spin his body parts like a drill.
Voiced by: Eiji Miyashita (JP), Brian Witkowicz (EN)
- This Is a Drill: His magic allows him to turn his bodyparts into drills.
WarcryA wizard who uses Tear Magic.
Voiced by: Yoshimitsu Shimoyama (JP), Marcus D. Stimac (EN)
- Berserker Tears: Possibly inverted. It's because he cries that he's able to go berserk. Emphasis on "possibly"; he's defeated by Olga before he can demonstrate his magic.
- Swiss Army Tears: His "Tear Magic" apparently is something genuinely powerful, as even Sting commentend on its power. However, he's annihilated by Olga before he can even finish his attack.
YeagerA muscular wizard who uses Plant Magic to summon giant flytraps.
Voiced by: Eiji Sekiguchi (JP), Chris Ryan (EN)
NovaliA Quatro Cerberus wizard.
Voiced by: Masaki Kawanabe (JP), Patrick McAlister (EN)
- Butt Monkey: Even inside Quatro Cerberos, he's even more butt-monkeish than the others, as we don't even get to see his magic.
SemsA large member of Quatro Cerberus who can spin like a spinning top.
Voiced by: Yoshimitsu Shimoyama (JP), Devin Pike (EN)
- The Big Guy: The largest of his team, but also the slowest and the less bright.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: In the anime, he attacks with Spinning Magic, which turns him into a living spinning top, making him hard to stop or even approach due to the reach of his arms.
Bacchus GloweThe Ace of Quatro Cerberus, equivalent in rank and power to Fairy Tail's S-Class. A master martial artist, Bacchus's magic Drunken Chop-Hanging Fist focuses magic power in his palms to strike opponents with great force.
Voiced by: Kenjiro Tsuda (JP), Chris Hury (EN)
- The Alcoholic: Outdrinks Cana!
- Badass: In the past he fought Erza several times to a draw, and he's gotten stronger.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: A master martial artist.
- Catch Phrase: "My soul is shaking."
- Charles Atlas Superpower: The guy is obscenely powerful.
- Drunken Boxing: Being drunk only makes his attacks more unpredictable.
- Drunken Master: The more he drinks, the stronger he hits.
- Graceful Loser: Upon losing to Elfman, he calls Elfman a "real man" and collapses with a huge grin on his face. He even takes his team being renamed "Quatro Puppy" in stride.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: His attacks, delivered with his bare hands, are devastating to Elfman. However, when the latter turns into his hard-skinned Lizardman form, Bacchus' unprotected hands moving at high speed get damaged by the scales.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's a bit of a rude pervert, as he takes Cana's bra as a reward after beating her, and proclaims that if he wins his battle against Elfman, he'll spend a night alone with both his sisters. However, he does seem to have some good traits, such as honestly congratulating Elfman for beating him during their fight, and also being good natured about honoring his bet to rename his guild if he lost. In the anime, he even has a friendly drinking match with Fairy Tail.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: His magic involves extremely powerful blasts of energy shot from his palms.
- Lightning Bruiser: He's so fast he can hit a target seven times in a row with what seems to be a single dash.
- Meaningful Name: Bacchus is the Latin name for Dionysus, the Greek god of wine and drunkenness.
- Oh, Crap: After injuring his own hands against Elfman's reptilian Lizardman hide.
- The Rival: Erza's, to an extent.
- The Worf Effect: Stands out among his guildmates as he'd been established as genuinely powerful. He wins the Chariot race by stomping to destroy much of the vehicle (while hung over at that) and though he loses his battle with Elfman, the latter had to rely on strategy and endurance because Bacchus was simply too fast. The worfing sets in when he is one-shot, along with Rocker, by Ichiya, after he had withstood several attacks from both of them. On the final day of the Games, he is again one-shot, this time by a solemn Sting.
An all-female guild that came to be over the Time Skip.
- Amazon Brigade: All their members are female.
- Butt Monkey: Not as much as Quarto Cerberus, but most of their members do badly in the games due to ether flat out silly powers, or just ending up fighting stronger enemies save Kagura. In the final day of the games, they take fourth in the overall tournament despite this.
- Millianna also did fairly well, being the only member aside from Kagura to win any points in a battle or on the final day, and got the highest MPF score after a God Slayer from Saber Tooth, a Wizard Saint, and Cana using Fairy Glitter.
Kagura MikazuchiThe ace of Mermaid Heel. While seemingly calm and collected at all times, she harbors a deep resentment for Jellal and will stop at nothing to kill him. To acomplish this, she has crafted a magic sword, "Archenemy", that she plans to only use unsheathed on him. She is also a master of Gravity Change. She's also revealed to be Simon's younger sister.
Voiced by: Saori Hayami (JP), Jenny Ledel (EN)
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Archenemy, which is capable of dicing Ophiuchus, the supposed strongest Zodiac spirit, without leaving the scabbard.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her hair went from black to purple. Interestingly, the opposite happened with Minerva.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She is tall, dark-haired, attractive and acts as The Stoic most of the time.
- Badass: Effortlessly Curb Stomps Yukino and her Celestial Spirits (including Ophiuchus, who apparently outstrips the Twelve Golden Zodiac Keys completely), and fights on even footing with Erza and Minerva in a three-way battle. Hell, she even Curb Stomps Erza alone by going all out.
- Badass Boast: "Sometimes, mermaids can devour tigers."
- Berserk Button: Being Jellal, defending Jellal, and showing her wounded teammates off in the middle of battle. Her hatred towards Jellal is finally averted when finding out Ultear was the one behind Jellal's madness with her brainwash magic on him, prior Heel-Face Turn and realize all the event caused by Zeref's worships, turning everyone against one another, Kagura no longer bear grudge against Jellal anymore.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: She get's plastered pretty quickly during the Post-Games Banquet.
- Cherry Tapping: Doesn't even need to unsheathe Archenemy to beat her enemies.
- Cuteness Proximity: Has one for frogs. Misaka anyone?
- Dark and Troubled Past: She lived a happy life with her brother Simon until their hometown was ransacked by evil Zeref cultists looking for child slaves to build the Tower of Heaven. She escaped thanks to Erza, but Simon wasn't so lucky. After ten years of searching for her brother, she came across Millianna and learned he was killed by Jellal, prior realized that Jella was actually being brainwashed by Ultear before the mage's Heel-Face Turn and every event was caused by Zeref's worships, turning everyone against one another.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: After the Games.
- Designated Bullet: Why Archenemy was forged and named.
- Evil Counterpart: To Erza. The "evil" bit is downplayed more to "antagonistic" given Minerva is the one known to be evil.
- Exact Words: Betting your life usually means that the victor kills you. Kagura only regards her win as Yukino's life literally belonging to her, and doesn't even try to enforce this until declaring (while drunk) that Yukino is "Mermaid Heel's property".
- Expy: Of Ikaruga from Senran Kagura, down to appearance and personality, also her namesake.
- Forgotten Friend, New Foe: She knew Erza when they were kids, and Erza was the one who saved her from being captured and enslaved. Once they recognize each other, Kagura loses her will to fight and surrenders.
- Game Face: Normally appears with closed eyes. When her eyes are opened, she looks much more angry-looking in battle.
- The Good, the Bad, and the Evil: Consumed by rage at Jellal, she plays the bad to Erza's good and Minerva's evil. Becomes averted, putting her bad motto when finding out behind Jellal's madness from Ultear.
- Hair Decorations: She wears a ribbon, with the ends of the bow pointing straight up, giving them the appearance of animal ears.
- Hime Cut: A traditional and elegant hairstyle befitting for a Lady of War with a katana.
- I Gave My Word: She holds Yukino's life in her hands as a result of their pre-battle wager.
- I Owe You My Life: To Erza, who saved her from being caught by Zeref cultists as a child. Kagura doesn't recognize her at first, and even tries to kill her when she finds out she was responsible for Simon's death, but once she realizes who Erza is, she decides to spare her.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: Toward Frosch in the Adaptation Expansion of the "Welcome Home, Frosch" omake. She nearly fights with Millianna over who gets to keep him (despite both of them knowing that Frosch is part of Saber Tooth) until they realize that Frosch has run off.
- It's Personal: She holds a grudge against Jellal for killing her older brother Simon. She crafted Archenemy for the sole purpose of killing him, and plans to only ever unsheathe it when the two come face-to-face. Once she finds out that Erza is the one who (in her words) killed Simon, she decides to use the sword on her instead. Eventually averted when finding out Jellal was brainwashed by Ultear and all events was caused by Zeref's worships, turning everyone against one another.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Archenemy is one of the strongest weapons in the series.
- Lady of War: She's a Master Swordsman who never loses her air of calm or grace. That is, unless she's provoked into drawing her sword.
- My Kung-Fu Is Stronger Than Yours: How she beats Libra's Gravity Magic.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Delivers one to Erza of all people. She even cuts through her Adamantine Armor, the same armor that deflected a laser beam from Phantom Lord's Humongous Mecha!
- Not So Stoic: She becomes physically ill for a moment when she sees Jellal at the tournament. Then she becomes downright furious when she sees Minerva take Millianna hostage, and even moreso when she learns exactly why Simon died. On a lighter side, she becomes less gloomy during the Banquet after the Games. Her hatred towards Jella is eventually averted when she hears the truth from Ultear behind Jellal's madness.
- Pimped-Out Dress: When invited to the Banquet in the King's palace.
- Revenge Before Reason: By her own admittance once she had found out from Millianna what happened to Simon. Becomes averted when learning the truth behind Jellal's madness.
- Rule of Symbolism: She unsheathes Archenemy when her rage reaches a boiling point. She later drops it to help Erza, and Minerva picks it up and uses it to finish Kagura off.
- Serious Business: Technically it is just a tournament and should be a friendly match. She utterly curbstomps Yukino and states that now her life "belongs to her" (though it was Yukino's idea to wager her own life in the first place).
- Spanner in the Works: Mavis' predictions for Fairy Tail's victory go smoothly up until the moment Kagura decides to engage with Erza, believing she would be a good match.
- Unstoppable Rage: To say she is so angry when she finds out Erza is the reason Simon is dead that she actually unsheathes Archenemy is an understatement.
- You Killed My Father: The reason she forged Archenemy in the first place is to avenge her brother, Simon. Soon finds out it was Ultear who killed Simon, using Jellal's body to kill her brother, and realize everything includes herself in the event are manipulated by Zeref's worships, thus no longer reason for revenge.
MilliannaOne of Erza's childhood friends from the Tower of Heaven. She has an unhealthy obsession with cats. She becomes a member of the all-female Mermaid Heel guild over the Time Skip.
Voiced by: Yukiyo Fujii (JP), Alexis Tipton (EN)
- Ambiguously Gay: She is very fond of Kagura, and her splash page states the she "fell head over heels with Kagura" during her travels. It's probably up to reader's interpretation where it is "head over heels in love" or "head over heels admiration".
- Anime Hair: Dolled up in the style of cat ears.
- Anti-Magic: Her magic, Nekousoku Tube, lets her bind people and restrain their magic.
- Badass in Distress: Gets kidnapped by Minerva during the tournament, much to Erza and Kagura's rage.
- Bare Your Midriff: Post-Time Skip.
- Cat Girl: Has the looks and behavior of one, though she's not really one.
- Catch Phrase: "Feelin' spiffy!"
- Cat Smile: To go with the cat theme.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Comes off this way because of her cat-loving tendencies.
- Cuteness Proximity: She apparently thinks of cats as some sort of teddy bears that she can just hug for a long, long time. During the ball after the Grand Magic Games, she completely forgets that she was supposed to sulk when Erza hands her Happy, Carla, and Pantherlily.
- Dominatrix: Post-Time Skip.
- Facial Markings: They look like cat whiskers.
- Femme Fatalons: To go with the cat theme.
- Genki Girl: It's even a part of her Catch Phrase.
- Heel-Face Turn: Originally fought for Jellal in the Tower of Heaven Arc. She leaves when it becomes obvious he has gone insane. During Dragon festival, she finds Ultear was the mastermind behind Jellal's madness via brainwash magic, and realize all the event are manipulated by Zeref's worships.
- In the Hood: Post-Time Skip.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Millianna absolutely refuses to hurt anything that resembles a cat—even a poorly disguised Natsu.
- Ms. Fanservice: Post-Time Skip.
- No Social Skills: Shortly after escaping the Tower of Heaven, she and Wally behave as if they've never been anywhere before. Makes sense.
- Opera Gloves: Post-Time Skip.
- Revenge Before Reason: She wants to see Jellal dead for killing Simon, and joins Mermaid Heel so she can witness Kagura kill him. Eventually averted when realized that Ultear speaks the truth that she was the one brainwashed Jellal and every events in entire life caused by Zeref's worships, turning everyone against another.
- Took a Level in Badass: Post-Time Skip.
- Underboobs: Post-Time Skip.
Araņa WebbA wizard who uses Thread Magic to generate sticky spider webs from her body.
Voiced by: Harumi Sakurai (JP), Vanessa DeSilvio (EN)
- Animal Motifs: Of a spider.
Beth VanderwoodA young girl who uses Vegetable Magic to sprout fruits and vegetables from the ground.
Voiced by: Rie Murakawa (JP), Mikaela Krantz (EN)
- Braids of Action: They give her farm girl look to go with her magic.
- Farmer's Daughter: Seems to have a bit of this trope going on for her—at least visually, with the way she dresses practically in overalls, wears her hair in braids, and has a quite innocent look. She even uses carrots as weapons.
- Girlish Pigtails: Enforces the farm girl/gardener look.
- Hartman Hips: To make up for her lack of breasts, she has large hips to show her femininity.
- Improbable Weapon User: Because it must be repeated: Carrots!
Lisley LawA determined woman who uses Gravity Change to change her gravity.
Voiced by: Miki Narahashi (JP), Liza Gonzales (EN)
- Acrofatic: She does, however, turn into a far slimmer and more attractive form after using her powers.
- Bare Your Midriff: No matter how bulky she is.
- Catch Phrase: "Don't look down on _______!"
- Gravity Master: Reportedly took lessons from Kagura.
- Temporary Bulk Change: She can alter her physique to be thin and fit when she wants.
Orochi's Fin in General
A guild that rivals Lamia Scale.
- Evil Counterpart: To Lamia Scale; both are named after mythological snake monsters and body parts shared by fish, but Lamia is a noble and righteous guild while Orochi is ruthless.
- No Kill Like Overkill: They ravage the town of Margaret with an army of 10,000 monsters.
- Odd Name Out: It's the only wizard's guild whose Japanese name has the possessive particle no in the middle (Orochi no Fin), which carries over into English as an "apostrophe s".
- The Rival: They serve as this for Lamia Scale.
Blue Note Stinger
A snakelike member of Orochi's Fin. He is a Beast Master who commands an army of 10,000 monsters.
- The Beastmaster: He can control an army of up to 10,000 monsters, using them to attack Lamia Scale.
- Hellish Pupils: They add to his snake-like appearance.
- No Name Given: He's simply called "Beast Master".
- Oral Fixation: He is seen plucking a lolipop off its stick with his snake-like tongue.
- Snake People: He has snake eyes and a forked tongue, fitting for someone from a guild called Orochi's Fin.