open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Batman's cape counts in the continuities where it has a mechanism built in that turns it into Cape Wings.
- Ordinarily, Wonder Woman does not wear a cape. For her, capes are more like what they are for most people — an unusual sort of formal wear. So when she does wear a cape, it tends to be a lot more pimped-out than your traditional superhero cape.
- Captain Marvel of Shazam has a cape with gold edging. Though unlike other superheroes who can sweep the floor with their capes, Captain Marvel tends to favor a shorter, waist length matador style cape that looks great slung over a shoulder. Though it Depends On The Artist, really. Captain Marvel's cape has also been a regular cape and even a bizarre "Hoodie Cape," as seen in modern comics.
- Doctor Strange has a particularly magnificent cape, made out of bright red material with fancy golden trim that merges seamlessly with a matching golden mantle, topped with the kind of gravity-defying collar that makes cosplayers weep. Fortunately it's also useful — it's his Cloak of Levitation and enables him to fly.
- The traditional costume of the Green Lantern Alan Scott includes a purple and green opera cape with an especially impressive collar. Somehow he pulls the look off.
Film - Live Action
Film - Animated
- Belle's winter cape in Beauty and the Beast.
- In The Care Bears: Adventure in Wonderland, both the queen and princess of Wonderland wore ermine-trimmed capes, but the queen wore one that was trimmed with red hearts.
- Megamind, with much fanfare, dons a cape for battle with gargantuan spikes on wide shoulder pads and the high collar to end all high collars called "The Black Mambaaaaaaaaaaa..."
- At the end of Barbie in a Christmas Carol, Eden wears a short, hooded cape trimmed with white fur over her Happy Holidays Dress.
- In Frozen, Elsa and Anna each get two capes. Elsa has her purple coronation cape and the snowflake themed cape attached to her ice dress. Anna has a green cape she wore to go searching for her sister, and later a warmer pink cape.
- Florence Welch of Florence + the Machine, while singing "Shake It Out" on The X Factor, wore a dress with six white capes held in place. Also, on her Ceremonials Tour, she wore a black cape with an elaborately patterned inside.
- Ace Frehley of KISS had a pimped-out cape to go with the pimped-out epaulets of his Space Ace costume during the Dynasty and Unmasked tours.
- Gorgeous George was the first wrestler to use the pimped-out robe variation. Ric Flair is a more recent example.
- "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers was known for wearing this to the ring.
- Mil Mascaras usually wears capes with rhinestones and designs to match his current mask.
- Randy Savage used to wear them in the 80's in the WWF.
- Hades's cape in Kid Icarus: Uprising: Just look!◊
- The generals in DragonForce wear capes that are not only fancy, but float just above their shoulders.
- Rosa's outfit in the remake of Final Fantasy IV is actually two capes, a lace one worn over the regular one.
- The leaders of the Three Kingdoms in Dynasty Warriors 7 all have ridiculously ornate capes, each one etched with a design representing their kingdom in extreme detail; Liu Bei with a dragon, Cao Cao with a phoenix, and Sun Jian with a tiger.
- Merlina's embroidered robe in Sonic and the Black Knight.
- Jessica Alkirk of Lunar: The Silver Star. See here◊.
- Skillcapes in Runescape have large, ornate shoulderpads, and lots of trimmings. The Dungeoneering Mastery Cape even includes a magical smoke generator that makes smoke trail behind you when you walk.
- Taken Up to Eleven with the Max/Completionist capes. They are fully pimped out, trimmed to the max capes with aforementioned smoke generators, and they are even color customizable for max pimping. Of course, the requirements to get one are quite extensive. (The max cape requiring you to reach the max level in all skills, Trimmed Completionist is well, 100% Completion)
- King Ladekahn, Queen Corellia, and Lady Melodia of Baten Kaitos.
- Touhou: Utsuho's cape is decorated with an independently scrolling star field.
- Likewise, in Hopeless Masquerade, Miko dons a cape that changes colors depending on her popularity level and also features an Unmoving Plaid.
- Ghetsis' cape in Pokémon Black and White is pretty pimped-out.
- Tyto the Swift from Gigantic wears a cape that's made to look like a bird's wing. It's said to be a gift from hawk-spirits who wove it from their own feathers.
- Many coronations have these. The capes are usually decorated with gold, ermine, or both (see the coronation pictures of Elizabeth I and Russian Tsars).
- In the 1930s, to about The Fifties, at least in the US, short shoulder cape of white ermine was a popular garment for young society women 18. Thus movies around the time used it as a way to identify these characters as such.
- Liberace was famous for his flamboyant capes (no pun intended).
- Polish Husaria wore a leopard skin as a cape. That is automatically awesome, all the moreso when it was worn over the more typically impressive red and gold cloak and steel-and-gold armour.