A very specific type of Fan Webcomic
The franchise as you know it (movie, TV series, cartoon, etc.) doesn't exist. Instead, the world and the characters are all part of a custom Tabletop RPG
campaign. The player characters - playing the main characters of the original work - are completely new to this story, which the DM completely controls. The comic is composed of stills taken from the cartoon, TV show, or movies, with the players (who are never seen
) providing both in-character and out-of-character dialogue, and the DM acting as both narrator and harried omnipotent author — and occasionally a character.
Oh, and some of them tend to have a Magic Ampersand
and Added Alliterative Appeal
's DM of the Rings
is the Trope Maker
, since almost all of the comics it inspired
use the same visual vocabulary (like yellow Speech Bubbles
for the DM and NPCs
Not to be confused with Interactive Comic
. Or a RPG-Mechanics Verse
, where the rules are in play but there aren't a DM and players behind it all.
- Avengers, Roll Initiative! is an RPG Screencap comic based on the Marvel movies from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Can be found here.
- Bandits And Bad Ideas does this with The Great Train robbery. Read the comic here.
- Benders And Brawlers covers the first episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender and is hosted here (Last updated: 2011-08-28).
- The Bloody Nipple Saga did this with Conan the Barbarian, now complete. Read the first comic here.
- BSG Meets D&D for Battle Star Galactica. Can be found here.
- Champions And Chocobos for the Final Fantasy games. Can be found here.
- Cowboys And Cruisers is one of two webcomics that does this for Firefly and can be found here (Last updated: 2013-03-28).
- Cowboys In Space for Firefly can be found here(Last updated: 2012-08-27).
- Crashes Cardinals Conundrums And Coincidences for Lost. Can be found here.
- Critical Miss uses Indiana Jones and can be found here (Last updated: 2012-08-01).
- DM of the Rings, now concluded, gave this treatment to the Lord of the Rings film trilogy. This was the first of this style of webcomic, making it the Trope Maker.
- Darths & Droids uses the Star Wars movies. It's the Trope Codifier, as it established characters having backgrounds and personalities outside of the game, and gets cited far more often than its predecessor as an inspiration for other such comics.
- D&D Aangvanced is this for Avatar: The Last Airbender and has now begun the Korra series. Can be found here.
- D&DS9 uses Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and can be found here (Last updated: 2013-01-04).
- Friendship is Dragons is doing this for My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
- Galleons And Flagons is this for Pirates of the Caribbean. You can find it here and here.
- A Game of Roleplay takes on Game of Thrones. Here.
- Guildhalls And Dragonslayers is this for ''Fairy Tail. Read it here.
- Gunnerkrigg Tabletop Adventure is this for Gunnerkrigg Court. Currently, it's hosted here on the GC forum.
- High School of the D&D runs Highschool of the Dead as a D&D-ish style campaign. You can find it here.
- Into the Looking Glass uses The Matrix as its source material. First page can be found here (Last updated: 2014-5-29).
- Jutsu And Jinchuriki tells the story of Naruto using screencaps from the anime. It can be found here
- Snakes&Shinobi does much the same, although Snakes&Shinobi covers much of the material abridged out of Jutsu and Jinchuriki. It can be found here
- Knights of Buena Vista is Disney works as roleplaying campaigns, starting with Frozen and is currently covering Wreck-It Ralph. (Last updated mid-2016).
- Larp Trek, with the twist that it's the Star Trek: The Next Generation characters playing as the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine characters because the holodeck is broken and can be found here.
- The Leaky D20 for Harry Potter. Can be found here (Last updated: 2015-07-18).
- Nanoha GamerS for Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Striker S.
- One Piece: Grand Line 3.5 tells the story of a One Piece campaign.
- Pirates Of The Roleplayin does this with Pirates of the Caribbean. Read it here.
- Pokemon Tabletop Adventures The Webcomic is this for Pokémon and possibly also based off of this. Read it here. (Last updated: 2013-03-21).
- Seeds Of Destruction does this with Mobile Suit Gundam SEED. Read the first comic here.
- "Sorcerers And Soulgems" does this with Puella Magi Madoka Magica, the first of which is here.
- Steven and the Crystal GMs uses Steven Universe as a basis. Found here
- "Sword Arts And Skill Points" does this for Sword Art Online. Can be found here. 
- To Boldly Roleplay does this for the original Star Trek series. It can be found here. (Last updated: 2014-07-19)
- Wizards And Wands, another Harry Potter strip.
- Chaotic Neutral by one of the same authors visits this idea with differing source material. Read it here. (Last updated: 2014-10-04)
- Who Goes There? for The Thing. You can find it here. (Last updated: 2013-10-25)
- Pokefinder for Pokémon. You can find it here. (Last updated: 2016-01-19).