open/close all folders
- Astonishingly Appropriate Appearance: Each summon bears at least a minor resemblance to what they're supposed to be.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Each spirit has his or her own unique personality quirk, but they almost always come through for their masters in a pinch.
- Honor Before Reason: Spirits can only be summoned per a pre-determined schedule with their contracted owner, and they follow it to the letter once set. This usually spells trouble for their owners, particularly Lucy, who all too often finds herself unable to summon particular spirits when their skills are most needed.
- Immortality: They can't be killed by a wizard's attack and can regenerate, but they can still feel pain. The only surefire way for a spirit to die is if they use up all of their magic in the human world.
- Narnia Time: One day in the Celestial Spirit World is equal to three months in the human world. Unfortunately for Natsu and co., they are oblivious to this when they decide to take a break from their three-month training session for the Grand Magic Games.
- Nigh Invulnerable: They can be hurt with conventional attacks, but they'll recover with little to no permanent scars. The only surefire way to kill a spirit is to make them stay in the human world longer than they're capable of, at which point they fade away and die.
- Stellar Name: All spirits' names come from constellations and stars.
- Theme Naming: All spirits are named after their respective constellations; however, most if not all lesser spirits are actually just one of a species, and get their own names.
Celestial Spirit King
Celestial Spirit King
Voiced by: Norio Wakamoto (JP), Cole Brown (EN)
The sovereign of the Celestial Spirit World, and the most powerful spirit of all. Though he may appear intimidating and stony-faced, he is not unjust and is extremely amicable to those he considers his friends and allies.
- Anti-Magic: Galaxia Blade, his most powerful ability, uses the pure light of the stars to break Mard Geer's Alegria curse on Fairy Tail.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: King of the celestial spirits and the most powerful of them all.
- BFS: Wields an extremely powerful greatsword decorated with star imagery. Considering how huge he is, that just makes it even bigger.
- Badass Arm-Fold: Keeps his arms folded in a rather cool manner throughout his first appearance.
- Badass Cape: Accompanied by Dramatic Wind at all times.
- Badass Grandpa: He has the appearance of an older man, but is extremely powerful, as shown by the destruction he causes when he is finally shown fighting in the Tartaros arc.
- Badass Mustache: A magnificently huge one; Lucy calls him "Stache-face" for this reason.
- Berserk Button: Make any of his dearest friends suffer, and he will make you suffer without prejudice.
- Cool Helmet: Wears a really nice-looking and intimidating horned helmet that is also decorated with fins and a upside-down star.
- Cool Sword: His BFS is richly decorated with star imagery and is powerful enough to cut one of the most powerful dark guilds' traveling headquarters into several pieces.
- Dynamic Entry: Makes an epic grand entrance in the Tartaros when Lucy manages to summon him following Aquarius's sacrifice. He does this by slicing Tartaros's headquarters, Pluto's Grim, into pieces.
- Godzilla Threshold: Summoning him requires a celestial wizard to sacrifice of one golden key they hold a strong bond with, meaning that they can never be summoned again, at least until a new key reforms, but even then, it's up for grabs by any user. Therefore, summoning him is only considered as a very last resort.
- Large and in Charge: King of the celestial spirits and a huge giant that towers over everybody.
- Large Ham: Every sentence he utters is spoken with a booming, godlike authority. Not only that, but half the fandom fell over in their chairs when they first heard who was doing his voice.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: His decision to invite Lucy and her friends to party for a day in the Celestial Spirit World costs them their three months of training for the Grand Magic Games.
- Power at a Price: It is possible to summon him, but the cost is that one must destroy a gold Gatekey with a spirit that the summoner has a strong connection to, meaning they can never be summoned or appear in the human world again. Fortunately, a new key will be reformed after one year, but it does not renew the spirit's contract, and where it appears is completely random, leaving the spirit's original owner to find it and form a new contract.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He's the king of the celestial spirits and a benevolent leader. Seeing Lucy's conviction in overturning the law that saw Leo banished for unintentionally killing his owner out of protection for Aries, the king relents and pardons Leo, allowing him to return to the spirit world.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: A benevolent example; he has red eyes and shows no mercy to his or his friends' enemies, but is otherwise a quite jovial spirit towards his friends.
- Spellblade: He can use his magic sword to create powerful attacks that split entire oceans.
- Star Power: He draws power from the stars themselves to produce his attacks.
- This Is Unforgivable!: He is not happy with the sight of Lucy crying her heart out after having to sacrifice Aquarius to summon him to fight Tartaros.
- Time Stands Still: In the anime, time stops for everything except Lucy and Loke when he appears in the human world.
Gold Keys of the ZodiacThere are twelve different types of golden Zodiac keys, only one of each existing in the world. They can be used to summon one of the twelve spirits of the Zodiac. Incidentally, all the gold keys introduced in the series come into Lucy's possession.note
Aries the Ram
Voiced by: Sayaka Narita (JP), Didi Archillanote (EN)
A meek spirit who can conjure fluffy pink clouds of wool in battle. Her original master was the abusive Karen Lilica until Angel killed Karen and took her key as the spoils of battle. After Angel is defeated, Aries comes into Lucy's possession.
- Apologetic Attacker: She apologizes to her opponents before wool-bombing them, which doesn't even hurt them anyway.
- Apologizes a Lot: "I'm sorry" is her Catch-Phrase, even in battle.
- Badass Adorable: She can send any opponent into submission with her wool, and apologizes every time.
- Break the Cutie: Her first two owners were extremely unkind to her: Karen wasn't above using her as a living shield, and even threatened to beat her; Angel, meanwhile, pits her against her dear friend Leo, knowing it would be hard on them both. Thankfully, she recovers nicely once she contracts Lucy.
- Catch-Phrase: "Sumimasen!" ("I'm sorry!")
- Collared by Fashion: Wears a big poofy collar made of wool.
- D-Cup Distress: Her bust attracts far too much attention a Shrinking Violet like her can handle.
- Extreme Doormat: She was put through unspeakable abuse before meeting Lucy, and she did it all without saying a word.
- Fighting Your Friend: Angel orders her to fight her friend Leo in the Nirvana arc. Due to their pride as celestial spirits, neither of them can refuse an order.
- Form-Fitting Wardrobe: Her clothes highlight her curves rather well.
- Gender-Blender Name: She represents the astrological sign of the ram, which is a male sheep.
- Hello, Nurse!: The men around her go wild every time she's summoned, to her great embarrassment.
- Horned Humanoid: She is part ram, though it's odd considering female sheep don't grow horns.
- Impossible Hourglass Figure: She has this, much to her dismay.
- Impossibly-Low Neckline: She does her best to keep it covered.
- Minidress of Power: Her outfit is very revealing.
- Mundane Made Awesome: She uses Wool Magic which, given her opponents' reactions, seems to paralyze them with the sheer pleasure the softness of the wool produces.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: She's a Shrinking Violet who wears revealing clothes, which gives her a lot of unwanted male attention.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: She's far from cheerful, but she's still sweet and docile.
- She's Got Legs: We get to see them in full thanks to her short dress.
- Ship Tease: She gets quite a bit with Leo, who would often come to her rescue whenever Karen abused her.
- Shrinking Violet: She hates being the center of attention. Unfortunately for her, years of being abused by two horrible masters has made her scared of interacting with others.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is pink.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She has socks that go up past her knees.
Taurus the Golden Bull
Voiced by: Eiji Sekiguchi (JP), Jeremy Inman (EN)
The Golden Bull. He possesses Herculean strength, but is constantly distracted by Lucy's breasts. He is one of the spirits owned by Lucy at the start of the story.
- A Load of Bull: He's a minotaur.
- An Axe to Grind: His weapon of choice, which he can use to block bullets.
- The Big Guy: Of the Zodiac Spirits. His main asset that he provides to his summoner is when the situation requires a physically mighty individual.
- Butt-Monkey: Has won only one fight to date, and that was against a relatively low-power enemy. He does do decently against the Tartarus mooks though.
- Buxom Is Better: A huge believer of this trope.
- Chivalrous Pervert: His contract with Lucy essentially stipulates that as long as she stays hot, he'll gladly protect her sexy, sexy body. So, to that end, on one occasion he summons himself to block an attack that Lucy couldn't have otherwise dealt with.
- Distracted by the Sexy: His biggest downfall half the time.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Is fond of these, usually involving cow-related things.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: He constantly compliments Lucy on her body.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: You can see from his appearance that he's pretty damn strong (a hulking bull-man wielding a huge axe), and the one time Lucy used him against some regular humans (thieves), he kicked their ass easily. So he's not really the weakling you would sometimes think he is - it's just that most opponents he get to face are nothing like regular humans.
- Red Baron: The Golden Bull.
- Took a Level in Badass: After the Time Skip, when Lucy learns how to use Combination Attacks between her spirits. Suddenly, Taurus is not so harmless.
- Underwear of Power: The only thing he wears is a pair of trunks.
- Verbal Tic: He regularly inserts "moo"-related puns into practically everything he says.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: As mentioned, he never wears any clothes but Underwear of Power.
- The Worf Effect: He is a physically powerful spirit, but usually loses.
Gemini the Twins
Gemi voiced by: Yukiyo Fujii (JP), Heather Walker (EN)
Mini voiced by: Kanami Satou (JP), Michelle Rojas (EN)
A pair of twin spirits who can mimic the appearance, powers, and thoughts of anyone they see. They are Angel's signature spirits and follow her orders without question until Lucy proves to be a more caring master.
- Combat Pragmatist: In the Nirvana arc, they weaponize Lucy's sexy body to catch Taurus off guard.
- Ditto Fighter: They can not only copy others' appearances, but their magic as well. They even make their own copies of Lucy's Gatekeys to use her spirits against her.
- The Dividual: They have their own names, but they're summoned as a single spirit.
- Early-Bird Cameo: They appeared on chapter cover pages well before their first real appearance.
- Heel–Face Turn: They're sadistic and cruel at first, but once they copy Lucy and feel the love she has for all celestial spirits, they're so deeply moved that they can't bring themselves to kill her. They later show up after Angel's defeat to help her stop Nirvana before formally making a contract.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: The male Gemi is the one in black pants, while the female Mini is the one in orange.
- Love Redeems: The love they feel from Lucy far outweighs the love they felt from Angel (i.e., none at all), ultimately turning them against their owner.
- Necessary Drawback: They can only copy someone whose magic power is at the level of their summoner, meaning Lucy can't get Gemini to fight for her as monstrously powerful people like Erza or Laxus. When Lucy wears her Gemini Star Dress, however, she can effectively double Gemini's effectiveness.
- Power Perversion Potential: Lucy is their most common transformation, and they never waste an opportunity to show off what a hot body she has, either as a distraction or otherwise.
- Telepathy: They can read the minds of anyone they copy, but forget once they lose that transformation.
- Tender Tears: Lucy's unconditional love for her spirits moves Gemini to tears, which triggers their Heel–Face Turn.
- Theme Twin Naming: Their separate names are Gemi and Mini, which spell "Gemini" when combined.
- Trickster Twins: They're quite mischievous given their ability to copy others, which they use to confuse or lure their opponents into traps.
- Verbal Tic: "Piri piri!"
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: They can copy up to two people at once. The only drawbacks to this are that they lose their oldest form for every new form they acquire, and they can't turn into anyone with a magic level higher than their owner's.
- Wonder Twin Powers: They're two beings who join together to copy a single person.
Cancer the Great Crab
Voiced by: Yoshimitsu Shimoyama (JP), Will Short (EN)
A hairstylist who wields scissors that can cut through virtually anything. He is one of Lucy's first spirits, inherited from her mother.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: His scissors can cut ordinary weapons to pieces. In the anime, however, they become dented when he tries using them on Kain Hikaru's bristly hair.
- Anime Hair: Has black and orange hair done up like crab claws.
- Cool Shades: They go with his slick personality, and is never seen without them.
- Dual Wielding: Holds a pair of scissors in each hand in place of crab claws.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: A magic hairstylist doesn't seem like much use in a fight, but he comes in handy when fighting against or alongside users of hair magic like Flare.
- Shear Menace: He uses his scissors for fighting as well as hairstyling.
- Spider Limbs: Has six crab legs sticking out from his back. However, they're never used for anything.
- Utility Magic: He's mainly summoned just to give characters an Important Haircut or a Hair Reboot.
- Verbal Tic: Despite being a crab spirit, Cancer ends his sentences with ebi, which means "shrimp".
- The Funimation dub changes this to "baby" to compliment his smooth persona.
Leo the Lion, a.k.a. Loke
Voiced by: Daisuke Kishio (JP), Eric Vale (EN)
A womanizing young man who is hardly ever seen outside the company of several young women. He tries to avoid Lucy at first because he is actually the celestial spirit Leo who was banished from the spirit world after causing the death of his previous master, but he has since been allowed to return thanks to Lucy, and now acts as one of her most trusted spirit partners. He draws magic from an enchanted ring called Regulus.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: As he's the most powerful Celestial Spirit we've seen (aside from the Celestial Spirit King, of course), it should come as no surprise that he's the leader of the Twelve Zodiac Spirits.
- The Atoner: Spent three years anticipating his own eventual demise to compensate for indirectly causing the death of his former owner before Lucy intervenes.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: In his spirit form.
- Big Damn Heroes: Has demonstrated the ability to break through his gate without Lucy having to summon him.
- Bishōnen: Top-ranked as Sorcerer Weekly's "Wizards You Want to Have As a Boyfriend" for a reason.
- Cat Boy: They can be kind of difficult to see, but he does have lion ears in his spirit form.
- Chick Magnet: He's often seen with girls drooling over him.
- Chivalrous Pervert: He may be a shameless flirt, but he's a legitimately nice guy.
- Cool Shades: Almost always seen wearing them.
- Determinator: Survived for three years in the human world with his own strength. To add perspective, Lucy initially believes that even one year was out of the question, and just one week outside the Celestial Spirit World is considered torture to his fellow Zodiac spirit, Aries. Even if he was The Atoner during those three years, that still takes a lot of willpower.
- Death Seeker: Lucy talks him out of it.
- Giving Someone the Pointer Finger: Gives it to Caprico during his You Shall Not Pass moment.
- Grand Theft Me: Gets his body momentarily snatched by Zoldeo in the Sirius Island arc. He's saved by Capricorn.
- It's All My Fault: Blames himself for the death of his previous owner, Karen Lillica, when it was her own arrogance that caused her fate. He was just standing up for himself and Aries.
- The Jail Bait Wait: While Lucy and Yuka were discussing about Wendy and Chelia, he comments "3 more years and they'll be in my scope" with a smirk on his face.
- King of Beasts The lion spirit and leader of the zodiac.
- Light 'em Up: Has this as his main power. Makes sense, since the Zodiac Leo is linked with the Sun.
- Loveable Sex Maniac: He's even introduced as "Fairy Tail's biggest ladies man"!
- Meaningful Name: "Regulus" is the brightest star in the Leo constellation.
- My God, What Have I Done?: All Leo wanted was for Karen to release his and Aries' contracts and made that point by refusing to be desummoned or obey her. He never wanted her to die as a result, even if it was because of her own actions.
- Not Quite the Right Thing: While well-intentioned, his decision to stay in the human world until Karen relinquishes her contracts with him and Aries results in her trying to go on a job with Leo unwilling to help her and her being unable to summon another spirit, leading to her death, Leo being banished from the Spirit World, and Aries' key ending up in Angel's hands.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: His breaking up with his many girlfriends and finally talking to Lucy all indicate that he didn't have long to live - until Lucy intervened.
- The Power of Love: He claims this to be the reason he can summon himself to help Lucy even when she doesn't call him.
- Red Baron: "The Lion".
- Ring of Power: Regulus. He also uses regular Ring Magic before becoming one of Lucy's spirits.
- Ship Tease: With Lucy and Aries.
- Shonen Hair: In his spirit form, while in his human form, he has normally short hair.
- Significant Anagram: The name Loke contains the letters "l" "e" and "o".
- Slasher Smile: Sports a rather terrifying one when possessed by Zoldeo.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Loki, Loke, Locke, among others.
- You Shall Not Pass: Pulls this on Capricorn in the Sirius Island arc.
Virgo the Maiden
Voiced by: Miyuki Sawashiro (JP) Terri Doty (EN)
The Maiden. She is a sadomasochistic spirit dressed as a maid who can use Earth Magic. Originally owned by Duke Everlue, she makes a new contract with Lucy after the duke is arrested.
- Absolute Cleavage: In her Gonk form.
- Action Girl: Despite her odd tendencies, she's one of Lucy's top combat ready spirits and able to fight opponents like Bryo, the Bounty Hunter trio, and even Natsu.
- Catch-Phrase: "Are you going to punish me?" / "Is it time for punishment?"
- Chained by Fashion: Just on her wrists.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: A rather quiet one, though.
- Covert Pervert: Though after a few arcs it's not so covert. Finally averted when she willingly shook her ass when the request wasn't even directed towards her, and she did it with a smile on her face.
- Dishing Out Dirt: She specializes in Earth Magic, specifically Diver, to burrow underground and manipulate earth.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Pretty much all the time she asks Lucy for punishment over anything. Even when she does things right.
- Emotionless Girl: She never emotes and only asks her master what to do and if she should be punished.
- Fan Disservice: At least under ownership of Everlue.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: She appears in whatever form she thinks will please her master most. In the case of Duke Everlue, it was a fat, really disgusting Old Maid. In the case of lucy, it's a more traditional Meido.
- Gonk: Under Duke Everlue, who thinks she looks attractive like that. With Lucy? Not so much.
- Heel–Face Turn: Though more My Master, Right or Wrong. She was under command of Duke Everlue and had to obey his orders. Once he was imprisoned, that voided her contract and she sought to be under the command of Lucy.
- Meido She wears a maid outfit in most of her appearances, but wears a swimsuit during the naval battle.
- House Fey: Worked as a maid before she joined Lucy.
- Marilyn Maneuver/Panty Shot: Happened while protecting Lucy from this trope. The anime didn't approve.
- Ms. Fanservice: Has been slowly shifting to this since Lucy took her in.
- Ninja Maid: She possess great physical prowess, which she uses skillfully in close unarmed combat. Bonus points, as she used to be an actual bodyguard.
- Poor Communication Kills: In the Grand Magic Games arc, Team Natsu has three months to train until the tournament begins when Virgo invites them to spend a day in the Celestial Spirit World to party. It's only after the day is over that they learn one day in the spirit world equals three months in the human world.
- Red Baron: "The Maiden".
- Reflectionless Useless Eyes: Her eyes lack shine, highlighting she's a spirit.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: She's not at all cheery and sweet, but she's still polite and docile.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Natsu/Lucy.
- This Is a Drill: In the Brought Down to Normal Highschool AU.
- Too Kinky to Torture: She asks to be punished all the time. Heck the one time they did punish her, it's clear she's really enjoying it. Let's not forget there was a time when Lucy summoned her and she's summoned tied, Lucy freaked out and asked her who did that to her... Turns out she did it herself, it's her hobby when she has free time.
- Tunnel King: A female example. Her main ability, Diver, allows Virgo to travel underground as simple as swimming in water. With this spell, Virgo can create holes to either trap someone or utilize as an escape method.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: She adapts her looks to her owner's taste.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has pink hair.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A.
Libra the Scales
Voiced by: Saori Goto (JP), Krishna Smitha (EN, 1st voice), Marissa Lentinote (EN, 2nd voice)
The Heavenly Scales. She has the power of Gravity Change to manipulate the gravity of any target. She is under Yukino's ownership.
- Bare Your Midriff: To go with her Belly Dancer attire consisting of a frilled and striped bikini top.
- Belly Dancer: Her attire.
- Gravity Master: Can change the gravity of her target to immobilize them or send them flying.
- Mask of Power: Has one that covers the lower half of her face.
- Reflectionless Useless Eyes: She's a spirit and her eyes have no light in them.
- Red Baron: "The Heavenly Scales" or "The Balance".
- The Stoic: Rarely talks and is rather serene, yet obeys Yukino without question.
Scorpio the Scorpion
Voiced by: Daisuke Kishio (JP), Andrew Chandler (EN)
The Scorpion. He can use Sand Magic produce sandstorms from the tail-shaped cannon on his back. He is also Aquarius' boyfriend. He was initially owned by Angel until he decides Lucy would make a much better master.
- BFG: His main weapon, which is also his tail, shoots out sand.
- Catch-Phrase: He seems very fond of the phrase "We are!" in the anime. In the manga he only says it when he's summoned, but in the anime he starts out every single sentence with this.
- The English dub replaces this with "Wicked!"
- Collared by Fashion: Wears a flower-shaped collar that is red and trimmed with gold around his neck.
- Dishing Out Dirt: He shoots huge streams of sand out of his tail.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He was mentioned quite often by Aquarius before his actual appearance, but never by name, instead just being referred to as "her boyfriend".
- Gratuitous English: "We are!" and "Yeah!"
- Heel–Face Turn: Like most spirits Lucy contracts that weren't hers at the start of the show.
- Morality Pet: To Aquarius.
- Multicolored Hair: Red and white.
- Official Couple: With Aquarius.
Sagittarius the Man-Horse
Voiced by: Masaki Kawanabe (JP), Wilbur Penn (EN)
The Archer. He is a master bowman in a horse costume who never misses his target. His key is given to Lucy by the natives of Galuna Island as a reward for rescuing them. His Eclipse form is a true centaur.
- Expressive Mask: The head part of his costume changes its expressions according to the situation.
- Genius Ditz/Literal-Minded: Possibly a combination of the two of these, or at least an innocent version of the first. When asked if he can produce fire (arrows) for Natsu, he stated that he can not. Only later does he realize that the issue at hand was if fire could be produced. Granted, it's partly a case of Poor Communication Kills, but it seems like a weird thing to distinguish.
- Is more justified, when you think of it as "Can you make fire at ALL", or "Can you make that ONE THING on fire."
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Sagittarius can aim his bow down and fire his projectiles at incredible speed, managing to block a bullet from Drake by intercepting it in midair with one of his arrows; a noteworthy feat, considering how, aside from reacting and aiming at the incoming threat, he had to pull his weapon's string in a split second to achieve this.
- Red Baron: "The Archer".
- Verbal Tic: "Moshi, moshi!" (Hello, hello)
- In the Funimation dub, he just says a multitude of weird-sounding greetings, goodbyes, and conjunctions. ("Yes sir-ee!" "See you later, alligator.")
Capricorn the Goat
Voiced by: Takaya Kuroda (JP), Michael Johnson (EN)
A goat-like man who looks and acts like a butler. He was meant to be inherited by Lucy from her mother along with Aquarius and Cancer, but due to certain complications with his interim owner Zoldio, his key doesn't come into Lucy's possession for 17 years.
- Badass Beard: He is a billy goat, so of course he'd have one.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Always wears a suit of some sort, and is a skilled hand-to-hand combatant.
- Bare Your Midriff: He wears this suit while possessed by Zoldio.
- Battle Butler: His fancy tailcoat and expert hand-to-hand combat abilities give something to this effect.
- Brutal Honesty: In the anime, he seems reluctant to say something to Lucy, but she tells him not to worry about being honest. He proceeds to bring up quite a few issues with her weight when he was carrying her in his arms.
- Cool Shades: He's never seen without them.
- Cultured Badass: He can kick ass in a fight, but remains servile and refined at all times. He even has a fondness of poetry in the anime, reciting one of his self-written poems to Lucy.
- Declaration of Protection: He personally swore an oath to Layla that he would protect her daughter, Lucy. He finally manages to uphold that promise after 17 years of being possessed by someone who tried to kill her.
- The Dog Bites Back: He lays the deciding blow on Zoldio after he Body Surfs into Loke, who gave him his Regulus for this purpose. He also gets a hit in on Hades, Zoldio's master, during Fairy Tail's last assault in their battle.
- Face–Heel Turn: Subverted. He initially appears to be a rogue celestial spirit when he debuts among Grimoire Heart's Seven Kin of Purgatory, but it turns out he simply fell victim to a Body Snatcher.
- Horned Humanoid: As a goat man, he naturally has goat horns as well.
- The Mentor: Becomes one for Lucy after coming under her possession, helping her train for the Grand Magic Games and learn more about her magic.
- Non-Indicative Name: He is called the "Sea Goat" in the Funimation dub as his Zodiac sign is often affiliated with, yet his powers have nothing to do with water.
- Petting Zoo People: He has a head and lower body similar to a goat, while the rest of him resembles a human.
- The Stoic: He always remains calm and composed, except when possessed by Zoldio as a member of Grimoire Heart.
- Undying Loyalty: To Layla Heartfilia, and then to her daughter Lucy. In fact, when Leo asks him if he will give his loyalty to Lucy, he says he can't because it already belongs to her.
- Verbal Tic: He uses the Japanese pronoun "Meh", which is also the sound of a goat's bleating. This is changed to him uttering the word "Bah!" in Kodansha's manga, while the anime dub occasionally has him make bleating noises while using words such as "baaah-ttle".
Aquarius the Water Bearer
Voiced by: Eri Kitamura (JP), Jessica Cavanagh (EN)
A mermaid who carries an urn filled with a limitless supply of water. She is one of the spirits Lucy inherited from her mother Layla, but hates her new owner's guts and often attacks her instead of her intended targets.
- Action Girl: Whenever Aquarius shows up, someone's usually bound to get hurt badly.
- Adaptational Nice Guy: Aquarius is still a major Jerkass in the anime, but she gets a few more Pet the Dog moments towards Lucy, especially in the Eclipse Celestial Spirit arc, which tones down her harsh attitude significantly. This, of course, makes her Heroic Sacrifice in the Tartaros arc all the more tragic.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: She is Lucy's very first spirit, but has no problem mocking, berating, and even attacking her owner. But then comes her Heroic Sacrifice in the Tartaros arc, and it's clear that both are deeply pained over potentially never seeing each other again.
- The Bus Came Back: By sacrificing Aquarius's key to summon the Celestial Spirit King, she completely severs her connection to the human world. A new key eventually forms somewhere in Earth-land one year later, allowing her to return briefly in the Alvarez Empire arc before going away again. By the end, Lucy vows to find her key and reunite with her for good.
- Cry Cute: While encouraging Lucy to sacrifice her key, she claims that she's always hated her and won't miss her. Once Lucy actually does the deed, however, Aquarius finds herself tearing up at their imminent parting.
- Disproportionate Retribution: She subjects Lucy to physical punishment for something as small as summoning her in a puddle.
- Elemental Baggage: One of the few aversions in the series. Lucy can't summon her without an existing body of water, no matter how big or small it is.
- Freudian Excuse: Her attitude towards Lucy is largely because she would frequently summon her because she didn't have any friends in the past, and always viewed her as a crybaby even long after she grew out of it.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In the Tartaros arc, she convinces Lucy to summon the Celestial King by destroying her key. Although this doesn't kill Aquarius, she and Lucy are completely cut off from each other. She returns one year later in the Alvarez Empire arc when her key is restored, but her old contract with Lucy has been voided and she isn't allowed to tell Lucy where her key is, meaning Lucy has to find it before they are permanently reunited.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Right before Lucy sacrifices her key, Aquarius tells her she'd be relieved if they never saw each other again, all while trying and failing to deny how heartbroken she actually is.
- Jerkass: She's ill-tempered, rude, doesn't care that her attacks hurt Lucy and her allies, often rubs her boyfriend in her master's face, and claims to aim at her instead of her enemies. Moments before Lucy breaks her key to summon the Celestial King on her suggestion, Aquarius' heart of gold reveals itself when she admits that deep down, she truly loves Lucy just like the other spirits.
- Making a Splash: The urn she carries contains a bottomless supply of water, which can unleash tidal waves, whirlpools, and other aquatic hazards on her enemies, often washing Lucy away with it.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: She'll usually abandon Lucy at the quickest opportunity, but during the Tartaros arc, when Lucy's life is in clear danger without any of her guildmates to help her, the worst she does to Lucy is call her an idiot for overexerting her magic power to summon her, and she is fiercely protective of her against her opponents.
- Odd Friendship: With Juvia, a fellow water magic user, whom she hits it off very well with during Fairy Tail's stay in the Celestial Spirit World.
- Official Couple: Scorpio is her boyfriend.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: She takes the form of a mermaid, but she rarely appears submerged in water and always floats in midair.
- Pet the Dog: Despite being a candidate for biggest Jerkass in the series, she has her moments:
- She is among the rest of Lucy's spirits who agree with her that Leo shouldn't sacrifice his life for a reason they believe not to be right.
- The anime gives her even more Pet the Dog moments: in the Edolas arc, she cries out for Lucy's safety as Hughes attacks her; she looks after Lucy when she exhausts herself to summon all of her spirits at once to do favors for them; and at the end of the Eclipse Celestial Spirit arc, she feels ashamed that she can't remember the grief she caused Lucy in her Eclipse form.
- Reflectionless Useless Eyes: Her eyes lack any shine, emphasizing she's a spirit.
- Running Gag: She often abandons Lucy to go on dates with her boyfriend.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Scorpio, completely clashing with her usual angry Jerkass persona.
- Token Evil Teammate: Aquarius is the only one of Lucy's spirits who harbors any animosity towards her under the same contract, and even willingly attacks her.
- Tsundere: She acts hot-tempered and bitchy to everyone, especially Lucy, but shows a sickeningly sweeter side around her boyfriend, Scorpio. Later, right before Lucy breaks her key, Aquarius claims she always hated Lucy for being such a naive, crybaby little brat, but admits to herself that never being able to see her again makes her feel sad.
- Undying Loyalty: To the late Layla Heartfilia. The main reason she always acts so hostile to Lucy is because she never got over Layla's death and felt her daughter could never hold a candle to her.
- Unfriendly Fire: Not just because she's a Jerkass around Lucy; her power is inherently just so destructive that it washes Lucy away with her enemies as well, though according to Aquarius, it's the other way around.
- With Friends Like These...: Despite being one of Lucy's trusted spirit companions, she downright despises her owner. In fact, not only does she have no trouble attacking Lucy, but she even abandons her for a date with Scorpio at times when she's most needed.
- Woman Scorned: In the anime, she and Scorpio begin having relationship issues after she catches him going out with other female spirits behind her back.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has aquamarine hair fitting for a water spirit.
Pisces the Twin Fish
Mother Pisces voiced by: Kanami Satou (JP), Stephanie Young (EN)
Child Pisces is voiced by: Shohei Kajikawa (JP), Justin Pate (EN)
The Paired Fish. The two attack their target in pairs. They seem like fish at first, but their true form is a mother and her child. They are owned by Yukino Agria.
- Absolute Cleavage: The mother, combined with Cleavage Window.
- Action Mom: The mother.
- Ambiguously Brown: The son in human form.
- Badass Family: A mother and son team
- Bishōnen: The son fish in human form.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: The son, again.
- Kick Chick: The mother.
- Irony: While they are "fishes", they are weaker in water.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: When summoned in their human forms, they know it's time to fight hard.
- Making a Splash: Both being fish helps.
- Prongs of Poseidon: The son in human form.
- Red Baron: The Paired Fish.
- Tag Team Twins: They're two giant fish that both fight and transform together. In human forms, they're actually mother and son.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: They can shift between a fish-like and humanoid form at will.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: The son.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Ironically enough, they can't fight in water, and revert back to being small fish.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The mother has dark blue hair in her human form.
Ophiuchus the Serpent Bearer
The Serpent Bearer. This massive, mechanical snake-like spirit is regarded as a thirteenth Zodiac spirit. It is owned by Yukino as her most powerful spirit.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: A giant black snake with metal body parts? It counts.
- Non-Indicative Name: In a manner of speaking. In astrology, Ophiuchus is the name of the man who holds the Serpent, whose name is Serpens. Being that he's the Serpent Bearer, it's a little odd that he's portrayed as being the serpent in question. The Eclipse Spirits arc answers that question by revealing her Eclipse form is very much human.
- Red Baron: "The Serpent Bearer".
- The Sixth Ranger: The thirteenth of the twelve Zodiac spirits.
- 13 Is Unlucky: Yukino describes it as an unlucky spirit and it's the thirteen of the Zodiac keys.
- The Worf Effect: Presumably is more powerful than the other 12 spirits and likely second only to the Celestial Spirit King himself, but gets cut down by Kagura before it can show its true power.
Silver KeysSpirits who are summoned using common silver keys are not typically summoned for combat purposes, but are rather done for casual reasons.
Nikora / Plue
Nikora of Canis Minor, a.k.a. Plue
Voiced by: Saori Goto (JP), Majken Bullard (EN, 1st voice), Monica Rial (EN, 2nd voice)
The Canis Minor. Nikora is a common breed of celestial spirit, and the minimal amount of magic power it takes to summon it makes it an ideal pet. Lucy owns her own Nikora, which she names Plue.
- Call a Smeerp a "Rabbit": He looks like a pretty funny dog to us (then again, the constellation of Canis Minor doesn't look much like a dog, either).
- Fake Crossover/Mythology Gag: From Rave Master, Hiro Mashima's other work.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Nikora/Nicola
- Team Pet: Moreso than Happy, who is at least The Smart Guy.
- The Unintelligible: Natsu can understand him perfectly, for some reason.
Horologium the Time Piece
Voiced by: Masaki Kawanabe (JP), Ben Bryant (EN)
A talking grandfather clock who Lucy tends to summon to use as shelter from hazardous environments.
- Animate Inanimate Object: He is literally a grandfather clock with arms, feet, and a face.
- Big Damn Heroes: Horologium wears this trope like a hat. He saves Lucy from the collapsing Nirvana and being sucked through the Anima above Magnolia, Wendy from being vaporized by Hades, Arcadios from sinking into a pool of lava, and Natsu, Lucy and Happy from being trapped in another dimension by the Spriggan 12's Jacob.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Introduced as a convenient way of getting around, he becomes very handy in saving his master and her friends' lives throughout the series.
- Nigh Invulnerable: Moreso than other spirits, since he is specifically a defensive spirit that can hide others inside of his body. He has been shown to protect people from inter-dimensional magic, falling rocks, a One-Hit KO spell, lava, and cold weather.
- Voice for the Voiceless: Since the inside of his body is a Sound Proof Booth, he is required to repeat whatever people inside him are saying to everyone else. He even goes so far as to convey their moods in the English dub.
Lyra the Harp
Voiced by: Megumi Nakajima (JP), Kristin Sutton (EN)
The Lyre. She is typically summoned for her phenomenal singing voice.
- Blush Sticker: Her cheeks always have round pink blush marks.
- Cat Smile: Has this as her default expression.
- The Empath: Her songs reflect what those around her feel at the given moment.
- Genius Ditz: She's surprisingly smart given her rather eccentric behavior, though she's mostly used as an Exposition Dump.
- Genki Girl: A very happy and energetic spirit.
- Harp of Femininity: She is named after the celestial harp.
- Red Baron: "The Lyre".
Crux the Southern Cross
Voiced by: Masafumi Kimura (JP), Bill Flynn (EN)
An old spirit with a cross-shaped head. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of celestial spirits and their owners, which he obtains whenever he's asleep.
- Accent Adaptation: He has a Southern accent in the English dub. Fitting for the Southern Cross spirit.
- Cool Old Guy: He's always helpful to Lucy.
- Eyes Always Shut: Unless he screams.
- Jump Scare: In-Universe; anyone besides Lucy gets scared silly whenever he screams.
- Mr. Exposition: Lucy always turns to him whenever she needs info on the history of celestial magic.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: He's able to relay his findings on Eclipse through Lucy's mind from the Celestial Spirit World in the Grand Magic Games arc. However, he's never seen doing this beforehand, and only makes it seem like Lucy's under a trance.
- The Scream: When he finds what he's looking for, he awakens with a startling scream.
- Senior Sleep Cycle: Only Lucy can tell when he's looking for information or is actually asleep.
- Snot Bubble: It appears as an indicator that he's actually asleep, not searching for info.
Caelum the Chisel
A mechanical orb that is used as a weapon. It is one of Angel's contracted spirits.
- Heel–Face Turn: In the anime, Caelum deliberately misses Lucy when Angel tries shooting her during her second wind.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: In its cannon form, Caelum can launch powerful blasts of energy that pierce right through Loke and Aries.
- Living Weapon: It acts primarily as a weapon, but it has a mind of its own like any other spirit.
- Morph Weapon: It can alternate between a chisel-shaped blade weapon and a high-tech energy cannon.
- No Pronunciation Guide: The normal English pronunciation is "SEE-lum", and yet the Japanese and English versions pronounce its name as "KYE-lum"
Pyxis the Compass
The Compass. It is a penguin with a compass on its head.
- Corner of Woe: It and Lucy try to be useful for Team Natsu in the "Sky Labyrinth" challenge of the Grand Magic Games. Then Erza tells them she already has her own compass.
- Red Baron: "The Compass".
- Throw the Dog a Bone: The anime thoroughly expands the challenge by adding an area that screws with Erza's compass, giving Pyxis the chance to show why it's more useful than any ordinary compass with its superior sense of direction.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: It can tell any direction. Just like any regular compass can.
Polaris of Ursa Major
See Fairy Tail Anime Series 2 for more information.