A series of games made by Benjamin Vu, the co-founder and CEO of Sky Vu
Entertainment in Omaha, Nebraska. The storyline follows a group of cyborg bears who live in a future sci-fi world, with their main enemies being creatures known as the Huggables. The series consists of the following games, along with the multiplayer-only Battle Bears Gold
- Battle Bears: Zombies!: Released on August 31, 2009. The game consists of Oliver being stranded on the Huggables' planet, and him having to Hold the Line against them and other, more sinister foes.
- Battle Bears -1: Released in 2010, and is the prequel to Zombies. The game has you play as either Oliver, Riggs or Wil, as they fight their way through the Huggable-infested spaceship dubbed the Ursa Major.
- Battle Bears Zero: Released on October 26th, 2012. Taking place between -1 and Zombies, the game features Wil and Abbi not only fighting off Huggables, but also dealing with a mysterious organization called the H.I.P.
- Battle Bears Fortress: Released on August 16th, 2013. The game takes its roots from Plants vs. Zombies, as it has you placing down turrets to defend a fortress from Huggables, unicorns and other enemies.
Battle Bears contains examples of:
- Art Evolution: The art style is much different in Zombies compared to the other games afterward. Also the characters looked a bit more...boxy in Fortress.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The Colbear, possibly the biggest boss in the whole franchise.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!:
- While Wil is searching around for an escape in Battle Bears -1, he gets distracted by a shotgun.
- In Battle Bears Zero, Wil loses focus when he comes across a cardboard cutout of a family.
- Badass Adorable:
- Oliver, a cute bear who knows how to use weapons big time. And then there's his powers while in his Overclocked form...
- The Huggables, since they are strong enough to break bones with hugging.
- Wil in the final boss of Battle Bears Zero puts up a great fight against Rho's true form.
- Badass Mustache: Graham has one.
- Bait-and-Switch Boss:
- Oliver challenges the Necromancer to a fight when the two meet at the end of Zombies, but the latter summons a massive horde of zombie Huggables for the former to deal with instead.
- Wil and Abbi encounter the Bearbershop Quartet (who would later appear in Zombies as the first boss) roughly halfway through Zero. As they prepare to battle, however, the Quartet is suddenly attacked by a massive pink worm, who ends up being the real boss for that stage.
- Beary Funny: Wil, a fat, goofy, and nervous bear.
- Bears Are Bad News:
- The Huggables, who are cute bears on the outside but they "hug people to death".
- The Colbear from Battle Bears: Zombies is a ginormous bear that eats people.
- The Bearzerker, a huge Huggable.
- Between My Legs:
- We get a shot between a Huggable's legs after it kills Jackson in Battle Bears-1.
- Riggs, when facing off against Udder Chaos.
- Big Bad:
- The Huggables.
- Abbi, for Wil's campaign in -1. Every other game afterward portrays her as one of the good guys, likely as a result of Wil rebooting her.
- Rho, in Battle Bears Zero.
- Big Eater: Wil, according to Oliver's Facebook page. Also in "Battle Bears Zero" he gets excited at the sight of the kitchen full of food.
- Big "NO!":
- Oliver does this in some game over screens.
- Riggs gets one in the game over screen of Tentacleese's boss battle.
Riggs: Tentacleese! NOOOOOOO!
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: The Huggables might act friendly, but they only pretend to be nice just so they can kill you with their squeezes. Poor Jackson ended up falling for it, and it led to his death.
- Black Bead Eyes: Almost every character except Astoria is drawn with these.
- Black Eyes of Evil: The Colbear.
- Blank White Eyes: Overclocked Oliver.
- Blood Knight: Tillman. When he encounters Wil in Zero, he's eager for a fight but waits for Wil to prepare himself first. He doesn't complain one bit when Wil ends up blowing a hole in his torso, instead setting up to attack him further.
- Bloody Hilarious: One of the cutscenes of Battle Bears -1 has Wil walking past graffiti on the wall that reads "Blood! It's not funny!", probably used ironically. Though it may also be referencing this viral video.
- Boring, but Practical: Zombies has a variety of powerful and wacky weapons, but the default rifle has infinite ammo with 20 rounds per clip, and it can instantly kill a Huggable with one shot to the head. It's possible to complete every non-boss wave by just popping off heads with the rifle.
- Bowel-Breaking Bricks: Bricks appear behind Oliver upon his defeat of the Colbear.
- Blue Is Heroic: Oliver's Overclocked form is blue.
- Butt-Monkey: Wil gets less respect compared to the others and is constantly being berated by Abbi.
- Calling Your Attacks: Riggs yells "Grenade!" every time he throws a grenade.
"Stupid brown nub hands!"/"Stupid nub hands!"
- Oliver: "Are you serious?"
- Huggables: "Hug me!"
- Riggs: "GRENADE!"
- Cool Big Bro: Riggs is Oliver's big brother who's an experienced Battle Bear.
- Cuddle Bug: Deconstructed so much with the Huggables, whose embraces kill people.
- The Ditz: Wil is quite unintelligent.
- Deadpan Snarker: Abbi, towards Wil's silly behavior. If you look closely at Abbi's eye, there is "Warning: Exposure to fat may evoke sarcasm" written on it.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Abbi. When Wil finds her in -1, she is openly malicious, relentlessly insulting him every step of the way. In Zero, after she is rebooted offscreen, she's no longer malevolent but is still sarcastic and easily frustrated by Wil's behavior. However, when she accidentally jets away from Wil, she eventually drags her way back to him, becoming considerably warmer towards him but still occasionally getting annoyed by his stupidity.
- Dreadful Musician: The Barbershop Quartet. Just ask Oliver.
- Dung Fu: The "slingshot" is a slingshot firing Jackalope feces at Bearzerker.
- Eaten Alive: Oliver gets eaten by Colbear in the "Masticated" game over screen in Colbear's boss battle.
- Everything's Deader with Zombies:
- The zombie Huggables from Battle Bears -1.
- The Necromancer and his zombie Huggables in Battle Bears: Zombies.
- Fantastic Flora: The Plantboss from Battle Bears Zero.
- Famous Last Words: Right before Jackson gets hugged to death:
Jackson: It's just a cute little pink bear that wanna hug! Come here, little fella. [screams of pain] Bone-itis!
- Fat Best Friend: Wil, to Oliver.
- Fat Comic Relief: Wil is Beary Funny, plus he is heavyset.
- Fat Idiot: Wil. This is even the reason why Abbi is so snarky to him.
- Fingerless Hands: Wil and Oliver. Wil lampshades this a lot.
Wil: STUPID NUB HAAANDS!
- Gag Sub: The subtitles very badly translating what Oliver says in Japanese while he's in his Overclocked Oliver form.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Jackson's death in Battle Bears -1.
- Genius Ditz: Wil apppears to be good with computers, since he was implied to have rebooted Abbi at the end of Battle Bears -1. This carries over to Zero, where Wil is quickly able to repair a badly damaged Abbi by the end of the game.
- Green and Mean: The green Huggables.
- Hates Being Touched: Oliver, or at least he hates being touched by the Huggables. Justified, since their hugs are enough to cause death.
Oliver: Don't hug meeee!
- HeelFace Turn: Abbi joined the side of good after Wil rebooted her at the end of Battle Bears -1.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: The Bearbershop Quartet's way of attacking is stunning Oliver with their awful singing.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Abbi is Wil's sidekick who is much more focused than he is in Battle Bears Zero.
- I Call It "Vera": Wil calling his gun "Boomstick Mcshootington".
- Killed Off for Real: Jackson ends up being killed by a Huggable.
- Killer Rabbit: The adorable Huggables, whose hugs are so powerful that they kill.
- Killer Robot: Rho from Battle Bears Zero.
- Lovable Coward: Wil. "Why does everything have to be so scary all the time?!"
- Light Is Not Good: The Huggables have light color schemes, but they are killing machines.
- Lyrical Dissonance: The Bearbershop Quartet's song is a happy little ditty about how they're going to kill Oliver.
- Made of Iron:
- The Bearzerker. Gunshots have no effect on him.
- Overclocked Oliver. None of the attacks inflicted on him by Spaceboss have any effect.
- Make Me Wanna Shout:
- One of Overclocked Oliver's powers.
- The Bearbershop Quarter shoot sound waves of their obnoxious singing at Oliver.
- The "Swearaphone" has Oliver shouting into it, which stuns the Huggables.
- The Many Deaths of You: Some of the games have unique Game Over cutscenes for boss fights, along with the standard cutscene that shows up whenever you die at any main level.
- In Zombies, you can get hugged by the Huggables or the Bearzerker, end up harmonized by the Bearbershop Quartet, explode due to the Marecraft Carrier, get flattened or Eaten Alive by the Colbear, and become zombified by Zombocalypse.
- In -1, you can get hugged by the Huggables, be ejected into space by Mecha Bearzerker, "Epic Fail" in the fight against Tentacleese, and get beaten to death by Udder Chaos. Subverted with Spaceboss, since it blows up the Ursa Major instead of killing Oliver.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Astoria is the only character drawn without Black Bead Eyes.
- No Social Skills: Astoria, due to being smarter than everyone else.
- Off with His Head!:
- The Huggables's heads fall off whenever they get shot.
- The Huggables get their heads torn off by Bearzerker during his boss battle in Battle Bears: Zombies, before their headless bodies are thrown at Oliver.
- Green Huggables attack by hurling their heads at their opponents.
- Oh, Crap!:
- Oliver sometimes has this reaction when he comes across bosses, possibly the most notable one he has experienced was when Colbear showed up in Battle Bears: Zombies.
- In Battle Bears: Zombies, a pilot for a plane gets one when he finds out that Huggables stowed away.
Pilot: There's Huggables on the ship! Augh! Mayday mayday, we're going down! [ship explodes]
- Wil gets this pretty often.
- Spaceboss right before getting demolished by OCO.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Oliver is normally calm when dealing with enemies, so him actually getting nervous during his encounter of the Colbear truly shows how terrifying the beast is.
- Panda-ing to the Audience: Tillman and the rest of the Delta Bears are robot pandas.
- Perpetual Smiler: The Huggables are always grinning, even when they die.
- Potty Emergency: Wil suffers one near the beginning of Battle Bears Zero, then falls off the ship whilst looking for the bathroom.
- Prequel: Battle Bears -1 is a prequel for Battle Bears: Zombies.
- Puzzle Boss: Mecha Bearzerker in -1 cannot be killed by any of your weapons. Instead, you have to eject him into space by shooting off his armor, pressing a button to open the hatch at the center of the room, and having him jump into said hatch.
- Satellite Love Interest: Astoria hasn't had any characterization as of yet due to only showing up in Battle Bears Gold, and she's revealed to be Oliver's love interest in Battle Bears Fortress.
- Say My Name: Wil yells out the name of a cardboard dog in Battle Bears Zero after it gets zapped by a laser.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Jackson being hugged to death by a Huggable in Battle Bears -1 is the first sign that the Huggables aren't as sweet as they seem.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Oliver along with Riggs are the Manly Men to Wil's Sensitive Guy. Wil is cowardly, while the other two are brave, badass, and strong.
- The Smurfette Principle: Astoria is the only female character in the series.
- Skewed Priorities: Wil chooses going into the kitchen to get something to eat rather than run off to safety in Battle Bears Zero.
- Shadow Discretion Shot: Oliver being murdered by the Huggable in the Game Over screen for Battle Bears -1 is only shown through a shadow on the wall.
- Squashed Flat: How Oliver dies in one of the ways you get defeated by Colbear in Battle Bears: Zombies is getting "pancaked".
- Stock Scream: The Wilhelm Scream is used by Wil (heh heh) in Battle Bears -1 after being hit in the leg with an arrow.
- Superpowered Alter Ego: Oliver's "Overclocked" form.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Wil is crazy about Batteritos, as seen in the opening of Battle Bears BLAST.
- Unexpected Gameplay Change: While most of Zero features Wil fighting off enemies in a similar gameplay style to Zombies, one stage instead features Abbi talking with an A.I. in the style of a Visual Novel.
- The Unfought: The Necromancer in Zombies. When Oliver faces him, he sics countless numbers of zombie Huggables to do all the fighting for him. He eventually tries to confront Oliver on his own terms, but by then it is too late, as Riggs kills him just as he's preparing to attack.
- Unicorn: The Marecraft Carrier from Battle Bears: Zombies.
- The Unintelligible: "Hug me!" is seemingly the only thing Huggables can say. Although some Huggables are heard speaking normally in the cutscene that occurs right before Marecraft Carrier's boss battle:
Huggable 1: Unicorn A-45 ready for landing. Get the crap off the deck sailor!
Huggable 2: Aye aye captain.
- Vomit Discretion Shot: Wil pukes in a bag in Battle Bears Zero, then he weaponizes his barf-bag.
- Women Are Wiser: Astoria's character description calls her this.
- You Have GOT to Be Kidding Me!: Oliver's Catchphrase "Are you serious?"