This page contains unmarked spoilers for Arkham Origins, Arkham Origins Blackgate, and Assault on Arkham.
Batman: Arkham Underworld is a Clash of Clans clone set in the universe of the Batman: Arkham Series. It's a Real-Time Strategy iOS and Android game. Initially, taking place after the events of Batman: Arkham Origins, unlike the other Arkham games, which have the player play as Batman, it has the player control the various super villains in Gotham City like The Riddler, Catwoman, Harley Quinn, and Bane as they take over the Gotham underworld from The Mafia. Later DLC takes place after Batman: Assault on Arkham and features Amanda Waller task Deadshot (who was stopped from killing Waller by Batman) and Harley with a mission.
This game contains examples of:
- Allegedly Free Game: Diamonds are often used to speed up build times, and free players are stuck with one carpenter to build or upgrade items with (unless a second is purchased with real money).
- Continuity Snarl: The game model for Harley is based on her Batman: Arkham Asylum design—despite Harley herself stating in that game that it's a new outfit. Given the "9 years ago" tag at the start of this game, the main plot of this game (or part of it, anyway) takes place not long after Originsnote .
- The Don: The game features the first actual appearance of Carmine Falcone after he spent most of the series as The Ghost.
- Evil vs. Evil: Taking cues from The Long Halloween and Dark Victory, this features Batman's Rogues Gallery vs The Mafia.
- FaceHeel Turn: Part of the plot involves the downfall of Harvey Dent.
- Hero Antagonist: Batman here is amongst the enemies the player must fight.
- Interquel: The main plot of game takes place between Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate and Batman: Assault on Arkham. DLC, however, takes place after the latter, as it features Amanda Waller and Deadshot and includes references to the ending, where Deadshot tried to take a shot at Waller, with the game revealing that Batman stopped Lawton before he could fire.
- Villain Protagonist: Unlike the other games, this focuses on the actions of the Rogues Gallery.