The Sweets HereafterThe opening segment sees the whole family as living candies (save for Lisa who's an apple, they manage to avoid being eaten through Halloween night and put on a shelf next to an uneaten chocolate Easter Bunny, who the family go on to devour.
The Exor-SisHomer accidentally orders a relic containing an evil demon off the Internet, which he places in Maggie's room. Maggie ends up being possessed by it and causes some trouble until an exorcist is called in to expel him from Maggie's body. He succeeds, but then the demon ends up taking residence inside Bart's body, only to find that the boy's soul is blacker than anything he's ever seen...
CoralisaLisa feels rejected by her family and ends up finding a door to another world where she meets her other family who have buttons for eyes. She initially rejects having buttons put on her eyes to join them, but relents after Homer wrecks her saxophone. Bart soon follows after her along with Maggie and Marge. Homer follows after all the family disappear and ends up accidentally killing his other self and the other self Bart. However, he works out a peaceful solution for the rest of the other world self to live with the family.
Mmm... HomerMarge and the kids go to visit their sisters while Homer stays home under the pretense of having to work. Once they're gone, he goes on an epic eating spree... until there's no food left (save some vegetables) until he finds a lone hot dog. While trying to cook it, he cuts off his finger and it falls on the bbq grill. Curious, he eats it and finds he tastes good, so much so that he rejects any other food given to him and continues to cut off and eat more of his body parts. When Marge finds out, she's appalled and leaves him. Ultimately, in the end, Homer offers up his remaining body to be cooked then eaten at a few fast-food chains, which makes the whole family somewhat proud that he at least made others happy.
Has the following tropes
The Sweets Hereafter
- Affectionate Parody: Of Sausage Party..
- And I Must Scream: But the bunny can't, because they already ate his mouth.
- Animate Inanimate Object: The family is all living candies, or, in Lisa's case fruit, in this one.
- Art Shift: Done in a CGI style.
- Eaten Alive: The chocolate Easter Bunny who's still aware when the whole family devours him.
- Mythology Gag: Bart is designed like a Butterfinger, which he, of course, was what he used to advertise back in the 90's.
- Razor Apples: Lisa complains nobody picks her because of this particular urban legend. Bart agrees, that's the only reason an apple is left in a candy bowl.
- Take That!: To Butterfingers. Homer lampshades it by accidentally calling Bart that instead of calling him by the similar name Bart uses.
- Affectionate Parody: Of The Exorcist.
- Casting Gag: Ben Daniels (star of The Exorcist) appears as an Irish Priest who exorcises Maggie.
- Demonic Possession: The demon, Pazuzu, takes over Maggie's body then Bart's at the end.
- Enfant Terrible: Maggie becomes this when she's possessed.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Helen Lovejoy gets this via a fire poker through the head, courtesy of the possessed Maggie.
- Match Cut: There's a scene with Pazuzu's package being sealed in Iraq. It cuts to the Simpsons' home with the package in the very same position.
- Only Sane Man: Helen Lovejoy and Flanders are the only ones at Homer and Marge's party who realize that Maggie is possessed by Pazuzu.
- Pedophile Priest: Not actually shown in the episode, but referenced.Priest: If you can't trust a Catholic priest with a child, who can you trust?
- Self-Deprecation: The Pazuzu statue is originally inscribed as Matt Groening.
- Take That, Scrappy!: Though non-canon, Possessed!Maggie killing Helen Lovejoy was sweet, sweet catharsis.
- Tempting Fate: After Bart runs his horns through Homer's head, Homer thinks that he'll at least be free from jury duty. A Gilligan Cut later sees he's there to his dismay.
- Despite a possessed Maggie trapping the party guests in the house, Homer insists he's not worried because they still have alcohol. Pazuzu then pours all the liquor down the sink and Homer panics.
- After tying Maggie down in her crib, Ned remarks that they should be safe. Maggie then uses Pazuzu's power to telekinetically beat Ned to a pulp.
- Too Spicy for Yog-Sothoth: When Pazuzu takes over Bart's body, he is horrified at how black Bart's soul truly is...
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: No one at the party seems to acknowledge that Maggie is floating, nor that her eyes are red, nor that she is speaking like an adult.
- Your Cheating Heart: The possessed Maggie accuses Dr. Hibbert of this.Dr. Hibbert: Someone's starting the terrible twos! [chuckles]Possessed Maggie: Someone's having an affair with his nurse.Dr. Hibbert: [annoyed] Say ah!Possessed Maggie: Aaaaaaaaa-dulterer!
- Adaptational Heroism: The Beldam in the original Coraline was an irredeemably monstrous Eldritch Abomination who lured children into her clutches so that she could sew buttons into their eyes and eat their souls and abused her minions, including her "husband" the Other Father. Here, the Other Marge (whom we can assume is supposed to be the Beldam, which is confirmed by her transformation at the end) is an Affably Evil entity who leaves Bart and Lisa be after sewing buttons into their eyes and lets them live there peacefully (even bringing the real Marge in and implicitly becoming friends with her) and is genuinely horrified and enraged when Homer's stupidity leads to the deaths of her son and husband.
- Adult Fear:
- Lisa feels so unappreciated by her family that she runs away.
- Marge expresses worry when Lisa goes missing for a few days and the police isn't any help.
- A more mundane thing is Chief Wiggums assembles Maggie's high chair, and it breaks while Maggie is using it. Fortunately she isn't hurt, but Marge is angry.
- Affectionate Parody: Of Coraline
- Art Shift: The Other World is animated more like a claymation styled piece.
- Berserk Button: Lisa goes to get the buttons sewn in her eyes when Homer uses her saxophone to kill a snake.
- Body Horror: The Other World Marge shifts into a bug-like creature, upon seeing Homer accidentally kill her other world son and husband.
- Brick Joke: Maggie vomits as a result of still having a touch of "Pazuzu". Later on, when Chief Wiggum says he helped fixing Maggie's chair, it falls down and she vomits again.
- Cats Are Snarkers: Snowball makes his opinion on the family clear, from his superiority to dogs to his opinion on Homer's attitude.
- Continuity Nod: Surprisingly to the first segment with Marge stating that Maggie still has a touch of "Pazuzu" in her to which we see green vomit spray into the kitchen from the living room.
- Creator Cameo: Neil Gaiman (author of Coraline) voices Snowball V.
- Foreshadowing: The first hint that the Other World isn't as bad as the Other World in the source material is that Snowball leads Lisa through the tunnel, while in Coraline the nameless black cat warned Lisa about it. Also there's the fact that the Other Marge lets Lisa run away in terror and respects her wishes about not wanting button eyes.
- HeelFace Turn: The residents of the Other World (except Other Bart, whom Homer accidentally kills) end up coming to live in the normal world and join the Simpsons family. Bart even draws a picture of them all as a family while at school!
- Improbable Weapon User: Homer uses Lisa's saxophone to kill a snake. This motivates her to get the button eyes.
- Infant Immortality: Sort of—Maggie's the only one besides Homer who doesn't get buttons sewn into her eyes.
- Mama Bear: Other Marge nearly kills Homer when he accidentally kills the Other Bart and Other Homer. She makes peace with him, but when Other Homer reveals that a social worker and exterminator are coming as a result of Bart's drawing, she draws some weapons and says she'll take care of it.
- Medium Awareness: Lisa sprouts this when arriving in the Other World and seeing the changed style.Lisa: Whoa! For a Halloween show middle segment, this is amazing!
- Mundane Utility: The Real Homer sends Other Homer to take care of parent-teacher conferences, while Other Marge handles the household cleaning and gives Real Marge a break.
- Papa Wolf: Other Homer charges at the real Homer when the latter kills Other Bart.
- Police are Useless: Chief Wiggum is literally useless for anything other than fixing baby chairs- and even that he was a failure at!
- Social Services Does Not Exist: Subverted; a social worker is coming to visit, with an exterminator, because of Bart's school drawing that shows the new extended family. Other Marge arms herself and says she can take care of them.
- Suddenly Voiced: The family finds that their family cat (Snowball V) can talk in this segment. Snowball also says he can talk in both realms but would rather not because it makes "the dog" inferior.
- Tempting Fate: After Marge says Maggie still has a touch of "Pazuzu", Homer is glad Maggie isn't vomiting. She vomits soon after. Later on, Chief Wiggum says he's not useless because he fixed Maggie's chair. It falls down, and Maggie vomits at him.
- Twin Threesome Fantasy: Homer more or less marries the Other Marge, whilst simultaneously being married to Marge.
- Unexplained Recovery: The Other Homer falls on a pair of scissors and appears to be dead, but he's fine in the real world, where he's able to attend parent-teacher conferences (albeit with the scissors still lodged in his chest).
- What the Hell, Hero?: Snowball V calls out Homer for letting his family go into the Other World and he's not even doing anything about it.
- Autocannibalism: The subject of this segment with Homer eating himself... Doubles as Black Comedy Cannibalism.
- Crosses the Line Twice: At least!
- Esoteric Happy Ending: Homer literally eats himself to death, but he enjoys it so thoroughly, and considers it the only thing he's ever succeeded in doing, plus the rest of Springfield enjoyed eating his remains (plus Barney and Comic Book Guy).
- I Ate WHAT?!: When Lenny asks how Homer had so much meat in him, Carl says they added more meat supplied from Barney, Comic Book Guy and other horses. The last part disgusts Lenny.
- I Taste Delicious: Homer accidentally chops up his pinky finger and it falls on the grill. He eats it and finds it the most delicious thing he's ever tasted. He finds himself being so delicious that he no longer enjoys the taste of other food.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Ned is very surprised by Homer becoming disgusted by the taste of steak.
- Picky Eater: Homer eats pretty much everything in the house, but when he comes upon the veggie drawer in the fridge and finds it stuffed with vegetables....Homer: Not a single morsel in the house!
- Parody: A modern parody of the Stephen King story called Survivor Type.
- Production Throwback: At the beginning of this segment, Lisa appears in front of a red curtain to deliver a Content Warning, like Marge (and once Homer) often did in the first few Treehouse of Horror episodes.Lisa: What you're about to see is so disgusting, you'll watch Game of Thrones to calm down!
- The Secret of Long Pork Pies: Homer's remains, which becomes surprisingly popular, are more than enough to start up several successful restaurant franchises such as Homer King, Kentucky Fried Simpson, Lardo Bell, and Der Homerschnitzel across the entire world.