After getting hearing aids, Grampa finally learns what everyone says about him. Principle Skinner discovers the ultimate secret his mother was keeping from him.
- Brick Joke: When Bart and Lisa break into the school to change Lisa's report, he steals Ms. Hoover's nicotine gum. Later, when Ms. Hoover calls Lisa, Lisa confesses to the cheating but Ms. Hoover says she wants her gum back.
- Call-Back: Once again, Lisa imagines herself (this time with a nightmare) in a future where she's about to become the President until an incident from second grade is held as grounds to disqualify her.
- Disqualification-Induced Victory: Lisa has a nightmare where she's about to be elected President, her cheating on a second grade paper is exposed and she's disqualified for it, making a character named Kenny Hitler the new President.
- Exact Eavesdropping: Grampa hears the bad things his family whispers about him right when he's about to tell them about his hearing aids.
- Not What It Looks Like: Averted. When Abe reveals he heard all the horrible things his family said about them, Homer replies that they didn't mean to say those things, only to immediately say they 'did' mean them.
- Unfortunate Names: Kenny Hitler.