Robert Barton Englund (born June 6, 1947) is a classically trained actor, who primarily works in film and television.
He became famous for his contributions to horror genre, most notably with the role of Freddy Krueger in A Nightmare on Elm Street films.
However, he first hit the big time as the lovably innocent Willie in the V (1983) franchise. This created a TV image strong enough that when Freddy's Nightmares had an Origin Story story for Krueger, Englund's face was largely obscured to avoid associations with Willie.
Along with his acting work, he has also directed two movies; 976-EVIL in 1988 and Killer Pad in 2008.
- 2001 Maniacs (2005) — Mayor Buckman
- The Adventures of Ford Fairlane (1990) — Smiley
- Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006) — Doc Halloran
- C.H.U.D. II: Bud the Chud (1989) — Cameo as a man in trenchcoat
- Dead & Buried (1981) — Harry
- Don't Cry, It's Only Thunder — (1982) — Tripper
- Eaten Alive (1977) — Buck (Englund's film debut)
- Galaxy of Terror (1981) — Ranger
- Hatchet (2006) — Sampson
- Lake Placid: The Final Chapter (2012) — Jim Bickerman
- The Mangler (1995) — Bill Gartley
- A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984 - 2003) — Freddy Krueger
- The Phantom of the Opera (1989) — Erik Destler, The Phantom
- Python (2000) — Dr. Anton Rudolph
- Urban Legend (1998) — Professor Wexler
- Wishmaster (1997) — Raymond Beaumont
- Zombie Strippers! (2008) — Ian
- Lake Placid Vs Anaconda (2015) — Jim Bickerman again
- Babylon 5 — Jeremiah
- Chuck — Dr. Stanley Wheelwright
- Freddy's Nightmares — Freddy Krueger
- Married... with Children — "Lou"
- Nightmare Cafe — Blackie
- Supernatural — Dr. Robert
- V (1983) — Willie
- Bones — Ray Buxley
- Call of Duty: Black Ops: Zombies — As Himself
- Mortal Kombat 9 — Freddy Krueger
- Super Hero Squad Online — Dormammu
- Injustice 2 — Scarecrow
- The Batman — The Riddler
- Green Lantern: The Animated Series — Myglom
- Hulk And The Agents Of Smash — Pluto
- Justice League — Felix Faust
- Regular Show — Stagman and Anti-Pops
- The Spectacular Spider-Man — The Vulture
- The Super Hero Squad Show — Dormammu
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012) — Dream Beavers
Tropes associated with Robert Englund:
- Cool Old Guy: He's in his seventies and still seems endlessly enthusiastic about traveling and making movies.
- Large Ham: Not afraid to go over the top, as some of the later Nightmare movies show.
- Serendipity Writes the Plot: While a young actor friend was sleeping on his couch, Englund encouraged him to try out for a big-budget science-fiction movie Englund was considered for. The young actor did, and eventually won the part. The name of that friend? Mark Hamill.
- Motor Mouth: Get him going and he'll talk your ear off.