The crew of the starship Quest are sent on a rescue mission to the distant planet Morganthus where they discover a mysterious pyramid-shaped structure, that sets gruesome things out to kill them, born from each of their fears.
James Cameron was the production designer and second unit director for this one, by the way.
This film contains examples of:
- Anyone Can Die: And most do. Even the hero's girlfriend Alluma doesn't survive.
- Boss Rush: The Master summons killer illusions of all of the dead crew members to fight Cabran at the climax.
- Closed Circle: Once the Quest crash-lands in Morganthus, they are unable to communicate with anybody and Some Kind of Force Field that emanates from the pyramid makes it impossible for them to take off, forcing them to enter the place to see if they can shut it off.
- Death World: Morganthus. The only thing that could be called "civilization" anywhere in its deserted surface is the gigantic pyramid full of killer aliens and Mind Rape.
- Dwindling Party: The only crew members who don't die are Cabran and Ranger
- The Dog Was the Mastermind: The Planet Master, who had sent the Quest to Morganthus, was actually Kore the cook.
- Dumb Blonde: Averted, Daimeia is blonde and busty but she's a medic officer.
- Enemy Rising Behind: The maggot towards Daimeia.
- Fanservice / Fan Disservice: The worm scene. Daimeia looks mighty fine, except... yeah... rape by overgrown maggot.
- Karmic Death: People die based on what they fear the most.
- A Long Time Ago, in a Galaxy Far Far Away...: Earth is never mentioned.
- Mirror Match: Ranger ends up hallucinating a copy of himself that tries to kill him. After a few cuts, Ranger figures out that the only way to prevent his death is by not fighting at all, making the illusion dispel.
- My Little Panzer: Turns out that the pyramid full of monsters literally out of the crew's worst nightmares is a piece of Lost Technology that Ancient Astronauts used to teach their children lessons.
- New Meat: The youngest of the group dies first
- Rape as Drama / Death by Sex: Daimeia gets raped to death by a huge monster maggot in the film's most infamous scene.
- The Voiceless: Quuhod. He has only one line: "I live and I die by the crystals."
- You Kill It, You Bought It: For reasons known only to himself, the Planet Master chose the crew of the Quest to take the test to see who would become the new Master. Carbon accomplishes it, by surviving everything the pyramid threw at him and taking out the Master.