open/close all folders
Rhea SnaketailA Jerk with a Heart of Gold Jakkai, with a less than healthy skepticism regarding anything supernatural. The story kicks off after her death.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: In spades. It's all but spelled out that this is part of the reason she ended up in the Ring of the Slightly Damned. Despite that, she holds on to it after her return to Medius.
- Back from the Dead: Word of God has confirmed that she is alive again.
- Bi the Way: She's confirmed by Word of God to swing both ways, having a mild Ship Tease with Jake, but also voicing her interest in a relationship with Kieri if her relationship with Buwaro doesn't work out.
- More recently the author said that she actually is Demiromantic Asexual, meaning that she is not interested in sex but may be interested in romance with someone that she already has a strong emotional bond with.
- Cool Big Sis: Agrees to take this role for Buwaro. Later she does the same for Kieri.
- Dead to Begin With: As noted, the story begins with her arriving in the afterlife.
- Deadpan Snarker: Frequently and often, mostly directed at Kieri.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Her Earth Spike spell.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Sassy and rude, but she does go out of her way to do the right thing.
- Meaningful Name: As with all Jakkai, her last name states something about her appearance. In this case, it's her long tail.
- Running on All Fours: She, like all Jakkai, will drop to all fours when she needs to move quickly.
- Scars Are Forever: She has a scar in the place where she was stabbed, on her chest.
- Superspeed: She gets this after she drinks the blue Rainbow Reverie potion. She is able to catch up with a horse pulled wagon.
Buwaro ElexionThe less than intelligent demon given charge of Rhea during her stay in the Ring of the Slightly Damned. Starts off insufferably cute and naive, but slowly matures as the comic progresses.
- 0% Approval Rating: Not with any of the Median characters, but the amount of demons who haven't tried to kill him at one point or another is very short. Especially after revealing Sakido's death to a group of them later in the comic.
- Aroused by Their Voice: Buwaro has a shockingly good singing voice as shown in this page, despite the fact that he probably had never sang before in his life. Kieri blushes and gives him a hug after hearing him sing.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Passive and harmless as he is, there's been at least one time where he became legitimately violent without going into berserk mode. Don't hurt Kieri around him.
- Breath Weapon: Like all Fire Demons, though he rarely uses it, likely because his isn't very potent.
- Childhood Brain Damage: Buwaro's frequent blows to the head (failed rock catches) might go some way to explain his lack of intelligence, but there are other factors, such as damage to his egg before birth and being left alone for long periods of time.
- Cute Little Fangs
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: When he opens his mouth a bit wider.
- Cute Monster Boy
- The Ditz: Initially. He's become much sharper over the course of the story, though he still has some Ditz moments.
- Fish out of Water: Very much so, although he's somewhat better about it than he used to be.
- Happily Adopted: More after the fact. He was too young to know Darius, the angel who protected him, Iratu and Sakido. But when Kieri read the diary Darius had kept (it was written in the Angelic language, which Buwaro and Rhea didn't know but supposedly Sakido somehow did), and the group realized some of the lengths he went to for their sake, Buwaro came to see him as his father.
- Right before they escaped Hell and she died, Sakido asked Rhea to be the big sister for Buwaro that she never was.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Attempts to pull one off for Kieri's sake. Fortunately, he was able to recover.
- Informed Attractiveness: Inverted. More than one person has called him ugly, and it was enough to make him self-conscious about it for a little while, but his status as a Cute Monster Boy doesn't give any of it much leverage.
- Invisible Parents: They were both killed during the war. They do actually make appearances, but by the time we've seen both of them, they're both already dead.
- Lightning Bruiser: After he drinks the red Rainbow Reverie potion and goes partially berserk he is fast enough to catch up to a wagon that had a head start and is large and strong enough to bite into Lazuli and through her off the wagon.
- Minion with an F in Evil: Demons punish the dead (usually by torture) for the sins they committed during life. The cruelest thing he's ever done on purpose was stomp on Rhea's tail. He even asked Death (who was actually Darius in disguise) if this was OK before he did it. Rhea proceeded to beat him up in return.
- And once again during chapter 9 when he pretends to have been deceiving Kieri, but when he tries to come up an insult for the angel he remembers the pleasant time he had with her and starts to tear up.
- Magic Pants: Getting severely electrocuted by Denevol ruined all of his clothing except for his pants, much to Rhea's relief.
- Never Learned to Read: Didn't have much opportunity to, growing up all alone in the Ring of the Slightly Damned. Though Kieri is currently teaching him.
- Playing with Fire: He's a fire demon, so this is natural. Of course, he's still learning how to control it. His berserk form uses it much more effectively.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Averted mostly. His eyes are always red (and he can make them glow a brighter red to see in the dark), but they're completely non-indicative of his personality. His berserk form has them by default, though, and the trope is very much in effect when that happens.
- Strong Family Resemblance: In general appearance he greatly resembles his mother but with his father's eyes and (reversed) colors while some of his features (horns and ears) are theirs blended together.
- According to this AU comic if his parents (or at least his mother) lived to nurse and raise him he would have a more even blending of their features such as a longer neck and muzzle as well as larger more curved claws.
- Superpowered Evil Side: In fact, it's technically his default personality (he was even born that way). It's only due to Darius's medallion that he has a more normal self.
- Superspeed: When in a potion induced berserk state note he is able to quickly catch up to the horse drawn wagon holding Kieri and other captive angels despite it have a head start and shortly after he is is able to keep up with Rhea after she drinks a potion that gives her Superspeed of her own.
- Taking the Bullet: Pushed Kieri out of the way of an attack meant for her.
Kieri "Snowy" SuizahnA young angel currently lost in Medius. She's socially awkward, due to her troubled upbringing. Despite this, she's the most competent of the three when it comes to combat.
- Baleful Polymorph: Toski turned her into a snow bunny, though it wasn't applied properly and she has some control over it.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Although normally sweet and shy, she does lose her temper from time to time. Also, she's the only one of the protagonists (exempting Buwaro's Superpowered Evil Side) to have intentionally killed someone in a fight.
- Cute Bruiser: That sword of hers isn't for opening letters...
- Healing Hands: When Buwaro is dying after taking an energy attack from a Seraph intended for her, she desperately tries to use healing magic on him, though she has little experience with it. The way she uses it makes it look like a Magical Defibrillator, too. Miraculously, she succeeds at reviving him.
- It has been implied that she actually is better at it than she thinks she is, due to her self esteem issues. According to her brother, she is better at it than he is. After several of her friends are wounded in battle, she heals them quite easily, although in this case their wounds were not nearly as serious as what had previously happened to Buwaro.
- An Ice Person: Her preferred method of magic.
- Making a Splash: Used less often than her ice powers, but she still has this.
- Shrinking Violet: Due to her upbringing. While she has opened up much more around Buwaro and Rhea, she still tends towards this around other people.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Subverted, as her hair, like all angels, started out white. She was required to dye it blue as part of her uniform.
CrunkyA rare golden wyvern.
- Animals Not to Scale: In-universe, Crunky is unusually small for a wyvern.
- Blow You Away: She's capable of magically generating powerful gusts of wind by flapping her wings.
- Female Monster Surprise: Although it's not that big of a deal, a Khamega hoping to buy Crunky is able to easily tell that it's a girl, even though Kieri had no idea.
- Loyal Animal Companion: She quickly became this to Kieri to the point where she blew dirt into the eyes of Kazai and Verammi for upsetting and attacking her respectively, tries to attack Buwaro after he's forced to take Kieri captive to prevent her from getting herself killed by several demonsand is was even willing to fight Lazuli to protect Kieri.
- Team Pet: Belongs to Kieri, given to her by Buwaro.
- It's also heavily implied that she was this to the old couple who owned the Coiled Cobra Bar before Azurai killed them.
Seymour SinclairAnother denizen of the Ring of the Slightly Damned, he's been trying to swim across the River Styx to Heaven for quite some time.
- Impossible Task: He certainly hasn't made any progress swimming the River Styx.
- Scars Are Forever: He retains the horrific injuries from the failed stunt that killed him.
Heathcliff "Cliff" SinclairA fairly laid-back man, who has traveled around and seen more things than pretty much everyone else in the cast who isn't a god put together.
- Baleful Polymorph: Was a victim to one in his past, similar to Kieri's.
- Bi the Way: Casually mentions an ex-boyfriend. Word of God pegged him as "Panromantic Asexual" rather then bi... but there's no trope for that.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Heathcliff isn't in favor of Buwaro's relationship with Kieri, but it's not based on malice or prejudice. Instead, he points out several realistic (if stern) reasons why their relationship is unlikely to work out.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Somewhat more jerkish than Rhea, but still is willing to fight to protect his friends and family.
- Pals with Jesus: Subverted. Cliff knows several supernatural beings due to his travels, but when it comes to the guardians themselves, he prefers very little contact with them.
- Playing with Fire: Buwaro is but a candle to this man's blowtorch.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Briefly transforms into a lynx while battling a demon.
Miranda SinclairCliff's wife, and much nicer than he is.
- Action Mom: After her pregnancy is over and she no longer has to take it easy.
- Alchemy Is Magic: She's a highly skilled alchemist, capable of brewing the Rainbow Reverie, a set of highly powerful (and valuable) potions that individually act as status buffs.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She seems nice, but it turns out she's quite used to fighting. Her pregnancy just prevented it.
- Mama Bear: Just ask Haury and Triska.
- Pirate Girl: Zigzagged Trope. She claims to come from a long line of pirates, but so far it's not clear if she ever actually was one.
- Pregnant Badass: Subverted: She had to take things easily during her pregnancy, but once she'd given birth...
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: A non-villainous version. Her eyes glow red after drinking some of the red potion of the Rainbow Reverie set, which boosts her physical strength to superhuman levels.
- Super Strength: Gets it by drinking the red Rainbow Reverie potion. She even lifts her family's wagon over her head!
Samantha "Sammy" KailumThe niece of Cliff and Miranda. Very curious and outgoing, but naturally a little naive due to being a child.
- Cheerful Child: Very much so.
- Happily Adopted: The fact that her parents are dead doesn't really affect her, and she enjoys traveling with her aunt and uncle.
- Playing with Fire: Not at the level of Buwaro or Cliff, but she can toss small fireballs around.
Jake "J" ThorndykeA lazy man who works odd jobs, and who happens to be one of Rhea's old friends.
Darius ElexionOne of the most important characters in the backstory of the comic, Darius was an angel who, after ending up in Hell, basically started raising Iratu, Sakido, and Buwaro before vanishing in an effort to protect them.
- Foreshadowing: A heck of a lot of it, regarding his continued existence as Death.
- The Blacksmith: Is capable of crafting angelic pendants.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Has earth magic.
- God Job: Hi there, Death.
- Papa Wolf: He went to incredible lengths to make sure his three children, despite being demons, were kept safe.
- Promotion to Parent: He cares for Iratu, Sakido, and later Buwaro when he finds each of them in Hell, and the recent warring between the angels and demons has killed their parents.
- Straight Gay: It's only brought up once, when Kieri finds out that he had a crush on her uncle, and has little to no significance to the story. That said it's one of the things pointed out on the site's FAQ page, with the author being confused as to why it was a big deal.Is Darius gay? What’s the point?I don’t know why this was a such a hard concept for people to grasp, but yes. Darius is homosexual. The point is that there is no point.
Kazai SuizahnKieri's twin brother, who is less studious and more adventurous than his sister. For a large part of the story, the goal of the protagonists was to locate him.
- An Ax To Grind: He has one.
- Baleful Polymorph: It turns out he and Kieri have something in common after all. Though his curse transforms him into a wolf instead.
- The Extremist Was Right: Despite his belligerent attitude and apathy towards medians, he was right not to trust (most of) the demons in St.Curtis.
- Fantastic Racism: He's very prejudiced against both Demons and Medians, to the extent that he thinks all Demons (and apparently Jakkai) are monsters. Naturally, being informed by his sister that she's dating a Demon is something he doesn't exactly take well.
- Fish out of Water: To say he's shocked by how St. Curtis is a Truce Zone for Angels and Demons would be an understatement.
- Gayngst: Implied and then immediately subverted. The way he talks about his relationship with Sanjulo makes you think he's hung up about being gay. Then it turns out he's more bothered about the fact that he's dating an Angel of the opposite element as him (Kazai's water-aligned; Sanjulo is fire-aligned).
- Hot-Blooded: His first reaction to seeing Moonshade and Melli fighting is to ask Kieri who he should attack.
- Making a Splash: Like his sister, he's a water element angel.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: While Kieri was going around helping people while trying to find him, he brought down an avalanche to block a mountain pass for some reason, and got arrested. The two also apparently had an argument prior to getting separated.
- Stockholm Syndrome: He doesn't have it himself, but he thinks his sister has it after she reveals she's dating Buwaro (though he calls it "Stockholder's Syndrome").
- Straight Gay: There is no indication of this given whatsoever until he flirts with Sanjulo in the middle of a battle, but they are indeed an item.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: His hairdo is an inverted version of his sister's, being mostly white with blue edges. Just like with Kieri, it's probably dyed.
DenevolA wind-aligned elderly angel, and a veteran of the Great War. Does not take well to the idea of angels and demons getting along.
- Asshole Victim: With some subtle shades of a Jerkass Woobie as well. Trying to kill Buwaro just because he's a demon and Kieri just because she likes Buwaro was far from morally right, but given what he's already been through and what he goes through afterward, it's hard not to feel a little sorry for him.
- Badass in Distress: He is currently being held prisoner by Iratu and Co.To be used in a sacrificial ritual for bringing more demons into medius.
- Category Traitor: Accuses Kieri of this for her friendship with Buwaro.
- Fantastic Racism: He hates all demons because the rest of his clan was slaughtered by demons during the war.
- Humiliation Conga: He gets roasted by Cliff, has his town of residence get razed by Iratu and co., and has since been kidnapped and brutalized by them ever since.
- Shock and Awe: He's not afraid to use it on other angels, either.
- Would Harm A Child
- Knight Templar
Zahariah SanjuloKazai's friend & partner. He's been traveling with Kazai off-panel while the protagonists were looking for the latter.
- Fantastic Racism: He seems to be similarly biased against Demons as Kazai is. His viewpoint on Medians has yet to be established.
- Killed Off for Real: Had his neck slashed by Azurai.
- Knife Nut: Wields two knives, each with a large blade and two smaller ones.
- Playing with Fire: He's a fire-aligned angel.
- Straight Gay: As with Kazai, there's nothing that gives it away until they start flirting, and Kazai admits it later.
VerammiA seraph, currently in St. Curtis for unknown reasons. She's also apparently Kazai's and Sanjulo's superior. As it turns out, she's allied with Iratu.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: She gets smashed after only one pint of alcohol.
- Dishing Out Dirt: She appears to be an angel of earth affinity. She uses an earth-elemental spell to imprison Kazai in stone.
- Drop the Hammer: Wields a large holy magic infused warhammer in battle.
- Evil All Along: She's actually allied with Iratu and the demons invading St. Curtis, and is helping with the angel kidnapping operation. She believes the forces of hell to be the "winning side" of the ongoing conflict between hell and heaven.
- FaceHeelTurn: Joined the forces of hell so she wouldn't have to follow heaven's rigid laws anymore.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a pronounced one that runs across the bridge of her nose and under both eyes, but she's respected and looked up to by her angelic subordinates as a heroic figure. Too bad she's really on the demons' side.
- Psychopathic Womanchild: Her reason for leaving Heaven and joining Hell is pretty much similar to that of a rebellious teenager who runs away from home because she doesn't want to live by her parents' rules or do what they say, and wants to hang out with her "cool" friends.
- Shipper on Deck: Of all people, she seems to approve of Buwaro and Kieri's relationship. This is actually an indication that she thinks Kieri is also in on the demons' operations in the city.
KinakoA good-natured angel mother traveling with her son and two demons whom their revealed to be a family and is surprisingly supportive of Buwaro and Kieri's relationship. She is later captured by demons to used as a sacrifice.
- Bilingual Bonus: Named after Japanese soy bean powder.
- Cultural Rebel: Seems to think poorly of heaven's warrior culture and rigid laws, even buys a dress despite the fact angels have a strict dress code.
- Fantastic Racism: More like fantastic classism but she dislikes warrior angels thinking them belligerent ruffians (though considering nearly every warrior angel we've seen was a racist violent Knight Templar, she's kinda right) and has difficulty believing someone as soft-spoken and kind as Kieri to be one.
- Polyamory: Has such a relationship with Sahne and Lakritz.
SakidoBuwaro's older "sister", she's a wind demon with a penchant for bad poetry. Killed in the process of flying Buwaro and Rhea out of Hell.
- The Atoner: In spades towards Buwaro, for abandoning him when he was little.
- Call to Agriculture: Spends a good part of her time raising bonsai trees.
- "Facing the Bullets" One-Liner: "I see. So it really did turn out this way. So be it."
- Famed In-Story: She became one of hell's strongest wind warriors and just uttering her name is enough to get the attention of several demons even to the point where Dakos a grouchy veteran demon who dislikes the younger generations way of doing things calls her "one of our best warriors".
- Giftedly Bad: Her poetry.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Does so to ensure that Buwaro and Rhea reach Medius.
- Killed Off for Real
- Missing Mom: Like Buwaro's parents, she was killed in the war.
- Sacrificial Lion: Word of God even states that the readers were supposed to get attached to her, only for her to die as soon as she, Rhea, and Buwaro have Earned Their Happy Ending.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Has a number of elements of this, which is part of why she lives in the Ring of the Slightly Damned.
- Shock and Awe: Her main powers.
IratuBuwaro's "big brother", a gigantic earth demon who loves to drink.
- Alcohol Hic: He's even the page image!
- Berserk Button: Buwaro bringing up Darius to him is enough to make him decide to kill him outright.
- Beware My Stinger Tail: His tail is a cross between this and a Sinister Scythe.
- Interestingly it seems to change to an arrow head shape without the effects of Darius's moon pendant.
- Big Brother Bully: When he meets back up with Buwaro in the Coiled Cobra Bar he doesn't acknowledge him as his brother and repeatedly insults and demeans him.
- Totally averted in Hell, where he's being more careless than spiteful. Then Word of God reveals he never loved Buwaro in the first place...
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Despite obviously being very strong physically, it was implied he was normally too drunk and happy-go-lucky to be a major threat. Fast forward to The Reveal that he and his cohorts have slaughtered an entire village without any trouble...
- Famed In-Story: Not to the extent Sakido was, but he is shown to be a very prominent figure in Hell's ranks just from how other demons react to bringing him up. He is also implied to be one of, if not the, heads of the angel-snatching operation in St. Curtis, meaning he has a high position in Hell's army.
- Large and in Charge: Physically the biggest character in the series, and he holds the rank of general among the forces of the villains.
- Later outdone by Sahne. It also doesn't help that he's actually implied to be the smallest Earth demon in Hell, due to his parents being unable to raise him, he just wears a special amulet that lets him grow in size.
- Disappeared Dad: Like Buwaro and Sakido, his parents are MIA. Unlike Buwaro and Sakido, his parents are never officially identified as "dead."
- Not So Different: To Kazai, he shrugs off the killing of medians as sending the good ones to heaven and the bad ones to hell, the same reasoning Kazai uses to not bother saving them, he also thinks of his race as in the right and will almost mindlessly obey what he thinks is his God's wishes.
- Sizeshifter: Can do this if he takes off his pendant, shrinking down to about six feet tall.
- He also seems to undergo mild Shapeshifting at the same time, the most obvious difference is his tail scythe changing back to its original spearhead shape and his features become shorter, rounder and overall more puppy-like.
- Straight Gay: Word of Gay is that he and Azurai are boyfriends.
- Unstoppable Rage: What happens when you try to wake him while he's sleeping off his drink.
LazuliA water demon who, along with her partner Talus, captured and tormented Kieri for a time. Despite that, she is determined to kill Kieri in revenge for her killing Talus.
- Avenging the Villain: Her current main goal. Even to the point to where she'll disobey the orders given to her by trying to kill Kieri.
- The Bus Came Back: Lazuli returns during the attack on St. Curtis. Too bad Kieri isn't with them to help fight her...
- Kieri eventually does come back, but she does about as well since she suffers from a Heroic B.S.O.D. shortly after starting to fight Lazuli.
- Combat Pragmatist: While she's only shown fighting once in her introduction she fights very hard in St. Curtis.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Despite her cruel nature, she was extremely distraught when Kieri killed her partner.
- Evil Counterpart: Seems to be shaping up to be a demonic one for Kieri.
- Extreme Melee Revenge: Is on the receiving end of one of these by a semi-berserk Buwaro who sinks his massive saberfangs into her shoulder, thrashes her in the air and then throws her off the speeding wagon with enough force for there to be a Sickening "Crunch!"
- Green-Eyed Monster: This page seems to suggest that she is actually jealous that the angels are admired by the medians despite being Not So Different from the demons.
- An Ice Person: Her main power.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: She destroys Thadius, injures and later disables Rhea, almost kills Buwaro twice, and nearly succeeds in killing Kieri before Azurai, of all people, steps in to stop her.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Is currently going on one in pursuit of Kieri.
TalusAn earth demon who had captured Kieri along with Lazuli. He's killed shortly after encountering Rhea and Buwaro.
- An Axe to Grind: He wields a massive battle axe in combat, interestingly he's the only demon (not counting art commissions) that uses a handheld weapon as opposed to the magic and Natural Weapon used by every other demon.
- The Brute: Is not particularly smart (though maybe not to Dumb Muscle levels) and likes to kill (asking Lazuli if he could crush Kieri and later Buwaro with his bare hands and is thrilled when given permission to kill both Buwaro and Rhea).
- A Load of Bull: He definitely evokes a minotaur-like image.
- Super Drowning Skills: How he dies.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: His death is so downplayed that Soprano of Time even lampshades it.Talus' Ghost: [crying] Nobody cares that I'm dead! I've been forgotten! I'm just— [is immediately shot in the throat by Kieri]
Buwaro's ParentsA pair of fire demons who died protecting their unborn son Buwaro.
- Ambiguously Evil: While they clearly loved their son and each other but if this Q&A is any indication of their canon personalities as well as the fact that Papawaro was willing to kill young Sakido and Iratu they might have been just as brutal as other demons.
- Fantastic Racism: Papawaro was at first completely unwilling to allow Buwaro to be raised by Darius and even tried to attack him however given that angels had killed his wife, fatally injured him and damaged his egg his hostility is understandable.
- Four-Fingered Hands: Papawaro had a rare variation of this were instead of three fingers and a thumb, he had four fingers (or rather massive claws) and no thumb.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Mamawaro was killed by a holy arrow through the chest.
- Last Request: Papawaro asks to be buried with his wife.
- No Name Given: They haven't been given canon names so Chu calls them Mamawaro and Papawaro.
- Papa Wolf: Even when in pain and dying from his injuries Papawaro still was willing to attack Darius (who at that point had all three pendants) to protect Buwaro.
- Posthumous Character: They are long dead by the start of the story and Mamawaro was already dead when we see her in the flashback.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Papawaro had these and was quite vicious in protecting his egg.
TsavoA wind demon who is currently serving as Iratu's subordinate.
- Affably Evil: He is unfailingly polite, even when discussing topics such as murder and torture.
- The Dragon: All puns aside, he seems to be this for Iratu, giving orders to other demons when Iratu is either drunk or not present.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Sort of. He was mentioned by Azurai over 300 pages and 5 years before his first actual appearance.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He isn't very fond of the demonic education method.
- Hidden Depths: Despite his frustration with Azurai's antics he prevents him from possibly blowing himself up by taking his wine away.note
- He also seems to have known Sakido personally and angrily accuses Buwaro of lying about her death, blaming him for it and trying to kill him because of it.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: His physical appearance is definitely draconic, but his character description on the site clarifies that he's not really a dragon, just a demon who looks like one.
- Missing Mom: Like Sakido, Iratu and Buwaro we lost his parents in the great war.
- Not So Above It All: As much as he is a counterpart to Azurai with his reserved demeanor, Tsavo is himself still prone to occasional outbursts of anger and profanity. Usually when one of his cohorts does something stupid.
- A much darker example occurs during The Gathering, when he learns of Sakido's death from Buwaro he becomes as equally belligerent and violent as Azurai when his horn was cut and tries to kill Buwaro with a lighting bolt.
- Pragmatic Villainy: A recurring gag in the series is have Tsavo critizing Azurai for his Stupid Evil tendency of killing humans for giggles, in disregard of their potential usefulness.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Azurai's Red.
- Shock and Awe: Only used so far to torment Azurai.
- Undying Loyalty: He is loyal to Iratu because he (alongside Sakido) were the only other war orphans who treated him kindly and didn't beat him up because of his weakness.
AzuraiA volatile fire demon. He was first seen in charge of punishing damned mortals in hell, but is currently serving under Iratu alongside Tsavo.
- Berserk Button: His horns, apparently. And murderously so, too, seeing how he kills Sanjulo in a fit of rage after Kazai chops off a portion of one.
- Butt Monkey: Plays this role among the villains, getting beat up frequently by Tsavo and Iratu.
- Heel–Face Turn: Rather than letting Lazuli kill Kieri and her friends, he destroys her icicle and tells her not to kill the angels.
- Averted. While he does save Kieri, he only does so to further the mission and avoid Iratu's anger.
- Hidden Depths: Wordof God says he's surprisingly loyal.
- Hot-Blooded: Loves to kill people because he's evil and he can, and tends to get ahead of the others' plans.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Tsavo's Blue.
- Sadist Teacher: He once taught a "killology" class and ended up killing one of his students.
- Secret Keeper: Seems to be one of the few demons aware that Iratu was raised by Darius.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: So, so much. Almost everything that comes out of his mouth is either a Precision F-Strike or a Cluster F-Bomb.
- Straight Gay: With Iratu, per Word of Gay.
SahneA large boar demon, she's met during the flower festival and is friends with the demon Lakritz and the angel Kinako. Though she was one of the demons who was involved with the demon invasion of St. Curtis.
- Acrofatic: She's visibly overweight, and yet is considered healthy enough to go to Fragaria.
- Affably Evil: If she's anything like Lakritz and was trying to help spare angels, especially since it's implied she stays with Kinako and Tirol, along with Lakritz.
- Her moral standing is still ambiguous, but it's been confirmed that she and Lakritz were in fact trying to save Kinako, even opposing other demons in the process. They failed.
- Affectionate Nickname: Runt for Buwaro. Notably she's the only demon to use it this way, every other demon uses that word in a different context.
- Animal Stereotypes: Averted, Sahne is not only a female boar but is also fairly docile.
- Beastess: She's a boar woman who absolutely towers over the main cast. As is expected, since she's an Earth demon.
- Edible Theme Naming: Doubles as a Bilingual Bonus, as she's named after the German word for Cream.
- Full-Boar Action: She has a tusk that always protrudes out the side of her mouth.
- Gentle Giant: As opposed to most other earth demons we've seen, she is a friendly individual who cares for her family.
- Love Triangle: With both Kinako and Lakritz. Type 8.
- Official Couple: With both Kinako and Lakritz, at the same time.
- Stout Strength: She's fat enough it shows, but she's also an Earth demon. In case you don't know how strong Earth demons are...
LakritzAnother, lizard-like demon encountered in St. Curtis, who's acquainted with Sahne and Kinako. He's involved in the demons' attack on the city, but it's currently unknown how.
- Affably Evil: Even though he tries to capture Kinako and was involved with the demon attacks it can be inferred that he was trying to save her. Especially since it's implied he lived with Kinako and Tirol.
- It's now confirmed that he and Sahne were trying to save her, and even got attacked by other demons for their trouble. She's captured anyway, and Lakritz is very nearly killed.
- The Cassandra: Though he doesn't outright say it, much of his dialogue is him trying to discreetly warn people about the imminent demon invasion in the city, and angels being abducted. His warnings are too vague for many of the people he tells, and it's not yet clear if it would've been worthwhile if they had believed him...
- Edible Theme Naming: Doubles as a Bilingual Bonus, as he's named after the German word for Licorice.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Has several rings in one of his ears.
- Love Triangle: With both Sahne and Kinako. Interestingly, all three are together.
- Official Couple: With both Sahne and Kinako at the same time.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Averted, He's one of the the few genuinely good demons met so far.
Haury,Triska and AbysetA wind, fire and water demon respectively, taking part in the siege of St. Curtis and tasked by Tsavo to acquire the Rainbow Reverie.
- Alluring Anglerfish: Abyset has a glowing lure on his forehead but since demons don't hunt food and can see in complete darkness, it's likely cosmetic in nature.
- Beware My Stinger Tail: Abyset has a barb-like spike on the underside of his tail fin which he attempts to use to injure Rhea.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Abyset can create a spout of water on his hand capable of slicing stone.
- Breath Weapon: Triska spews fire during her fight with Miranda.
- Feather Flechettes: Haury uses a magical variation, charging the feathers on his wings with wind energy and firing said energy at Cliff.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Abyset is ran through on Kieri's sword, might not have been enough to kill him though.
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: A variation with Haury, wind demons are generally the most intelligent type of demons and typically have a serious demeanor but he is shown to be rather dim and immature (laughing at Tsavo's unintentional rhyme, and unable to remember the correct name for the rainbow reverie.)
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Despite their scatterbrained behaviour, they are aggressive and cruel fighters and had no intention to spare the Sinclair family once they had what they came for.
- Not Quite Dead: Even though Haury and Triska were crushed by the family wagon(with Triska possibly having her spine broken by Miranda) and Abyset getting skewered by Kieri their body's are nowhere to be found,only bloody footprints.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Haury and Triska have these while Abyset has Icy Blue Eyes.
- Would Hurt a Child: They planed to kill the Sinclair family including Sammy and Florina, a 12 year old and newborn respectively.
- Wolverine Claws: Triska can extend long sharp claws from her fingertips note that can withstand the blade of a cutlass.
HakkaA female wind demon collecting angels for the Gathering who is in a relationship with a fire demon named Nikkei.
- Ascended Extra: She and Nikkei first appeared in a demon height chart, and Chu has expressed interest in adding the other two demons as well.
- Blow You Away: When Buwaro and Rhea inadvertently stop her from catching an angel, She angrily blasts them away with a mini-cyclone.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: She is very close to her girlfriend Nikkei learning to speak sign language, acting as her interpreter and passionately making out with her.
- Eyepatch of Power: Has only one eye but can beat an experienced angel warrior in one-on-one combat and (along with Nikkei) fight a seraph for a day on end until they all collapsed from exhaustion.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Her feelings to Azurai and Lazuli's bickering.
- Worthy Opponent: They respect Verammi for being able to fight them off enough to let her join them.
NikkeiA deaf fire demon who is Hakka's girlfriend.
- Ascended Extra: Like Hakka she started in a height chart before being added to the comic proper.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: She may take amusement in tormenting and humiliating captives but is quite close to Hakka.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Like most fire demons she has a rotten temper as a bottle accidentally hitting her in the head is enough to put her on the warpath.
- Handicapped Badass: She's deaf and speaks in sign language but is qualified enough to be apart of hell's army and can fight an angel seraph with the help of her girlfriend.
- Kick the Dog:Her first comic appearance has her throw a dart at one of the angels they have captive and shortly after reveal Kinako's relationship with Sahne and Lakritz causing the demons to laugh at them and the angels to stare angrily at them.
- Playing with Fire: She is a fire demon after all.
- Smelly Skunk: She resembles a red and yellow bipedal skunk (especially with her long bushy tail), but being a fire demon it's her front end you gotta worry about.
DakosA dragon-like fire demon originally partnered with Talus and Lazuli before he was forced to retreat with Sanjulo and Kazai in pursuit. He finally appeared in the comic proper during the St.Curtis arc.
- Badass Grandpa: Older than most demons around him and due to their usual disposition most demons are killed by another one before they get old, so he would have to be pretty badass just to still be alive.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- Early-Bird Cameo: First appeared as a silhouette in Kieri's flashback nine years earlier.
- Fantastic Racism: Typical for a demon he hates angels, however he seems to take it further than his cohorts as he glares at Verammi while the other demons at least tolerant her and becomes visibly angry when Buwaro fails to justify his relationship with Kieri.
- I Work Alone: He dislikes working in teams (despite being the leader of his) and views it as unnatural for demons to work in groups.
- Kick the Dog: Gets an absolutely brutal one by emotionally tormenting and taunting a helpless angel mother by saying he'll release her son if she can sing, knowing the magic braces she's wearing keep her from talking.
- Lack of Empathy: Even more so than other demons, he terrorizes an angel child in front of his helpless family for laughs, blames Talus's death on Lazuli for not following his orders and lacks the camaraderie the other demons show to each other.
- Old Soldier: An evil variant because even though he doesn't look it note he has fought in the great war and is referred to as "old timer".
- Politically Incorrect Villain: He calls the younger demons a "generation of cripples". One reader complained about the use of the word "cripple", due to it being a slur in some places, and the author explained that offensiveness was intentional.
- No Name Given: He has yet to be named in the comic though it can be found in the Slightly Damned tumblr page.
- He's eventually named on page 789.
- Tail Slap: Uses his tail to slam the unconscious Buwaro into a wall.
- When I Was Your Age...: He dislikes Iratu's use of tactical thinking and prefers the old fashioned demonic way of doing things as well as referring to the younger demons as a "generation of cripples".
Ramirez BloodeyesRhea's best friend, who was there when she died. Hasn't appeared outside of flashbacks.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Has only appeared in flashbacks so far, and even then, there's been little to know talk of him since.
- Meaningful Name: Refers to his red eyes.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: A subversion, as he was supposedly good-natured.
Mr. MoonshadeA Jakkai of unknown origin who seems to be working with the villains. Not much else is known about him. Its been revealed that he seeks to murder the Guardians and steal their powers, as well as to find an artifact he simply calls "The Egg".
- Dishing Out Dirt: Like Rhea, he can use the Earth Spike spell.
- Evil Laugh: Tends to indulge in this.
- Last of His Kind: Thinks he is the last of his bloodline. Of course, he doesn't know that Rhea, who is implied to be of the same bloodline, is no longer dead and has returned to Medius.
- Meaningful Name: Refers to the twin moons of Medius, which happen to be the same color as his eyes.
- Sssssnake Talk: Does it from time to time. Seeing as he can transform into a giant snake, it makes slightly more sense.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: He can take the shape of the Guardian Moku the Snake, which is implied to be due to killing him.
GaiaOne of the three great gods, matron of the angels and embodiment of good. Revealed to have been missing for several years.
- Big Good: How the inhabitants of Medius mostly perceive her.
SyndelThe second of the three great gods, creator of the demons and embodiment of evil. Also missing.
- Driven by Envy: Was definitely not happy to find out that Gaia got most of the credit for creating Medius. This led to the Great War.
DeathThe guide of souls to the afterlife, he's the only one of the three great gods who has appeared so far.
- Don't Fear the Reaper: Despite his dark dragon-like appearance, he's fairly friendly, so this seems to be in effect. Of course, that's because it's not really Death...
- Have You Seen My God?: He's one of the three great gods, while the other two have gone missing. He went looking for the other two and promptly disappeared as well.
- Promoted To Parent: He's essentially Buwaro's caretaker at the beginning of the comic, or the closest thing to one that Buwaro has, other than Sakido. Doubly so because he actually is Buwaro's adoptive father in disguise.
CerberusA servant of Death, this fearsome dog guards the gates to Hell. Despite traditionally being three-headed, it apparently is missing the middle head currently. Later revealed the the middle head, known as "Blue", is part of Darius's disguise as Death.
- Body Horror: Has a massive partially stitched gapping wound where his middle head used to be.
- Dog Stereotype: Each of his three heads embody a different canine archetype, his left head is very bulldog-like and is Dumb Muscle, the right head somewhat resembles a Doberman or Rottweiler and is very intelligent but can be vicious when required, and his former middle head has a more beagle appearance(with a wide muzzle and big floppy ears)and is the nicest and most emotional.
- It's Personal: His left and right heads are implied to be holding a grudge against Darius for getting his other head sliced off.
- Multiple Head Case: Each head has a distinct personality. The red one is mostly silent and the Straight Man, while the green head seems to be more Hot-Blooded. The blue head is friendly yet somewhat naive.
ToskiOne of the twelve Guardians of Medius, Toski the Rabbit sided with Hell during the Great War. She is responsible for Kieri's curse.
- Baleful Polymorph: Kieri's curse. Apparently it didn't work quite as well as intended.
- The Trickster: Apparently has no problem taking a human form and stealing from shops, then cursing anyone who tries to stop her.
SiaraOne of the twelve Guardians of Medius, Siara the Lynx took the side of Heaven during the Great War. Apparently Cliff has some connection to her, as his power takes on her form.
- Playing with Fire: She's one of the three guardians of fire. And judging from what Cliff did, she probably has this power.
MeerosOne of the twelve Guardians of Medius, Meeros the Mortori Bird is an...interesting character, to say the least. He once cursed Cliff with a similar curse to Kieri's.
- Blow You Away: Has immense power over wind due to his role as a guardian.
- Clever Crows: Or mortori birds, anyways. They're his symbol/patron animals, and he's very protective of them. They used to be viewed in the standard way; bad luck, omens of death and war, etc., but Meeros put a lot of hard work into his godly PR, so now they are viewed as symbols of love and life.
- The Gadfly: He's not a bad sort, but he definitely gets a kick out of messing with Cliff. (He also tries it with Buwaro, but Buwaro misses the point.)
- Gentleman Snarker: Manages to be polite while still throwing sarcastic quips around (mostly aimed at Cliff).
- Godzilla Threshold: He avoids using his magic but when it becomes clear that he can't beat Moonshade that way he is forced to use it despite the immense collateral damage it causes.
MelliOne of the twelve Guardians of Medius, Melli the Fire Bee sided with Heaven during the Great War. Is something of a patron to the city of St. Curtis.
- Asshole Victim: Let's be honest, no one felt sad for her when she was killed by Moonshade.
- Bee Afraid:She is a giant fire bee (fictional bee species with bright red colors and makes incredibly spicy honey) and isn't particularly friendly to demons.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Her true form is a giant red bee with a glowing aura.
- Crappy Carnival: Runs a rigged archery game booth.
- Good Is Not Nice: Some versions of the St. Curtis legend have her setting the Jakkai's tree on fire to teach the two races a lesson. And she's a bit of a jerk to Buwaro and Kieri.
- Playing with Fire: As one of the three fire guardians she can do this and may have used it to start the massive fire in St Curtis's history.
- Willfully Weak: She refuses to use her fire magic in her fight against Moonshade for fear of lighting the city ablaze.
MokuOne of the twelve Guardians of Medius, taking the form of a giant snake. Was murdered by Mr. Moonshade before the events of the comic.
- Dishing Out Dirt: What he can do as an earth guardian.
- Poisonous Person: His fangs contained venom potent enough to kill another guardian.
- Posthumous Character
- Snake Talk
BroxisOne of the twelve Guardians of Medius, for reasons unknown he sided with hell alongside Toski during the great war. He had cursed Kazai at some point.
ThadiusBuwaro's beloved pet rock. Supposedly a girl.
- Gag Boobs: Perhaps, in Buwaro's mind. He mentions that they're much bigger than Rhea's, at least.
- Imaginary Friend: Until Rhea showed up, was pretty much Buwaro's only friend.
- Killed Off for Real: As "killed" as a rock can get, anyway. During the demon attack on St. Curtis, Buwaro uses Thadius to try and defend himself from Lazuli, who proceeds to crush her to pieces.
- Meaningful Name: The name sounds similar to Darius.
- Put on a Bus: Done intentionally, as Buwaro makes real friends and gradually forgets about Thadius.
DusterA somewhat lecherous fairy who happens to be Cliff's best friend and traveling companion.
- The Casanova: Goes to great lengths to hook up with female fairies.
- Fairy Companion: Cliff's.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Cliff. They go back and forth, repeatedly tormenting each other. However, when they fight together...
- You No Take Candle: Has a mild case of this, due to poor human language skills (which are notably better than those of most fairies).