Although a comedy, Slightly Damned
has its share of intensely sad moments. Most of them have to do with Buwaro's status as The Pollyanna
Since many have to do with death, EXPECT SPOILERS
. You have been warned.
- The death of Sakido. As she was entering the Light of Ascension with Rhea and Buwaro in tow, an unknown Angel shot her with a Holy Arrow. When Rhea woke up alive on Medius, she found Buwaro crying over his sister's dead body. Made even more heart-wrenching because, 15 pages earlier, Sakido told Rhea that Demons get no afterlife, meaning she's gone forever.
- Buwaro waiting for someone. It's a good bit of foreshadowing.
- Rhea reflecting on the drowning death of one of her brood sisters when she was young.
- The part of Darius Elexion's diary where he described his early days in Hell, and looking for Sakido's mother. And finding her. And burying her.
- And then finding Buwaro's damaged egg. Along with his dead mother and mortally-wounded father. And burying them, too.
- Buwaro's attempted Heroic Sacrifice, protecting Kieri from the Seraph Denevol, and Kieri desparately using healing magic to try to resuscitate him afterward. While he survives, one page ends with her giving up.
- The final part of Darius's diary, an entry written by Sakido before the escape from Hell, is Tear Jerker-rific. It mostly exposed her jealousy of Buwaro when they were young, even how she blamed his existence originally for Darius's apparent death. It ends with her and Iratu abandoning Buwaro, a decision she made clear she regretted.
: Darius trusted us to take care of our little brother, but we just threw Buwaro away. If you are reading this and I'm no longer around, then I've gotten what I deserved
- A more light-hearted Tear Jerker: "The Puppy Who Looked For a Family" Rhea reads the story to get Kieri to cry so Miranda can harvest some Angel's Tears, and leaves the entire Sinclair wagon sobbing.
- Kieri has a flashback about her abusive mother... which drives her to apparently beat the living daylights out of a Jerkass Earth Angel who was threatening Buwaro.
I always cry a little whenever I hear this story. How about you? Cliff Sinclair:
I just have something in both my eyes