Cucumbers and facials, they just go together in fiction, apparently. Whenever a character is shown to be getting a high-class spa treatment (that is probably really expensive), getting a comprehensive makeover, or is so fussy about their appearance that they give one to themselves at home, it's usually indicated by the character having a Cucumber Facial.
The facial mask is usually green, mud-colored or sometimes blueish, and may cause men to run screaming about a scary monster. The slices of cucumber will be carefully placed over the eyes, though their purpose isn't readily apparent. Often what the point of the cucumber is will be lampshaded, or someone will pick the cucumber off the person's face and eat it For the Lulz.
The cucumbers are Truth in Television, incidentally. Their real purpose is that they are a natural moisturizer and astringent, and can help with puffiness around the eyes.
Usually this is Played for Laughs. Also see Women's Mysteries or Cosmetic Horror for how most men view the practice, unless one is getting it done himself. Has nothing to do with the other kind of facial.
- In one of those commercials for Yoplait Yogurt, Those Two Girls are getting spa treatments including Cucumber Facials.
- Kodomo no Omocha: Sana is seen doing one in preparation for a date.
- Tiger & Bunny's Karina/Blue Rose has done this on occasion ("Hey, a superstar needs to take care of her skin, okay?"). Interestingly enough, she tends to use just multiple slices of cucumber on her face. She's more than a bit embarrassed when her crush walks into the room while she's in the middle of one.
Kotetsu: So, did you lose a bet or something?
Karina: Don't look!
- In an El Hazard: Wanderers, Jinai has stolen all the vegetables the heroes have grown and claims to be all his. While Makoto and company fall back to outwit him, the Bugrom Queen asks what are they going to do with all the produce. Jinai is ready for that question and invokes this trope with two Bugrom mooks already trying the idea out.
- In Guardian Fairy Michel, Lady Salome puts the cucumbers everywhere but her eyes.
- In the Simple Samosa episode "Spa Wars", one of the folks at Appa Spa has cucumber slices placed over his eyes.
- Yzma sleeps with one in The Emperor's New Groove. Her lackey Kronk is repulsed when he sees her.
- On Surf's Up Big Z tricks Cody into putting pineapple slices on his eyes as part of his training. Turns out he was just pulling a prank.
- In the Curious George film, George ends up in the bathroom of a woman who is doing this while also having a bath and paints her walls, followed by pouring paint in her bathtub.
Ted: Do yourself a favor. You're gonna wanna put the cucumbers back on.
- In Legally Blonde, to indicate the woman the main characters are going to question at the spa is a Rich Bitch (as well as to remind everyone she's at a spa), she is seen having one of these. They have to take the cucumbers off her eyes before she'll bother paying attention to them.
- In The Princess Diaries, to show that the main character is getting a super-makeover fit for a princess, she gets a Cucumber Facial, and Paolo, the stylist, delivers the page quote above.
- In Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, Rose suggests Sue Ellen relax after work by having a glass of wine and giving herself a cucumber facial.
- Of course, she suggests there might be some other reason to have the cucumber handy.
Sue Ellen: Well, I'm all out of cucumbers.
Rose: Sue Ellen, every girl over twenty-five should have a cucumber in the house.
- Of course, she suggests there might be some other reason to have the cucumber handy.
- In The Jerk, Navin's girlfriend Marie is a cosmetologist, so he switches places with a customer who is receiving a facial. When the cucumbers and green mask are removed, she recognizes Navin and starts making out with him... while the wife of the original customer starts hitting Marie with her purse. "Why are you kissing my husband?!"
- At the start of Bert: Den siste oskulden, Bert comes to visit his would-be sex partner Camilla and finds her wearing one of these. He blurts out: "Wow, you're ugly."
- The lead in He's Such A Girl does this...but doesn't realize he's not supposed to use zucchini.
- In Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, Guinevere undergoes cucumber-slice eye pads as part of a makeover montage. (And then she promptly eats the cucumber, because it's the first chance she had all day to eat anything.)
- In Dunston Checks In, the titular orangutan drops in on two women undergoing this, who don't even notice.
[Dunston licks the cheek of Woman #1]
Woman #1: Mmm...is that a loofah? That feels great, Elaine.
[Dunston licks the cheek of Woman #2]
Woman #2: Interesting fragrance. Is that...musk?
[Dunston steals one of Woman #2's cucumbers]
- Magda briefly in There's Something About Mary. Even the dog too.
- Happens in an episode of Burn Notice with one character.
- One episode of Three's Company has Helen putting on one and Stanley giving her a funny look before proceeding to eat the cucumber slices. Helen's reaction? "Be sure to eat them slowly, Stanley. They're your breakfast for today."
- An episode of Malcolm in the Middle has Lois winning a spa for two day with no one to take with her but Dewey. When they get to the facials, Dewey naturally tries to eat one of the cucumbers on his eyes. Lois knows her kids and tells him to stop without even removing her own cucumbers to see that he's doing it.
- Syd in Power Rangers S.P.D. had this once. When she (as well as the rest of the B-Squad) had to wake up and line up, as they did, while Bridge was running into line, he ends up at her face (still with the cream), and screams upon seeing her like that.
- In an episode of My Name Is Earl, Joy is seen relaxing in a hot tub with bread-and-butter pickles over her eyes.
- On The X-Files in episode "Arcadia" when Mulder and Scully go undercover as a married couple, Scully wears green facial mask just before going to bed. Mulder teases her as if they were actually married.
"The thrill is gone."
- In the music video for OK Go's cover of The Muppet Show theme, one Catapult Nightmare sequence features one of the singers with cucumber slices both over and under his eyeglasses. Hence, he screams 'cause he's blind, removes the outer slices, is still blind, he screams again, then removes the inner slices.
- One of the minigames in Nancy Drew: Resorting To Danger involves giving facials that take this trope Up to Eleven, using various combinations of kiwi slices on the eyes, an orange slice on the mouth, and some kind of leaf on the nose.
- If you spend time with Vivienne in the Trespasser DLC for Dragon Age: Inquisition you go on a spa trip with her. But instead of cucumber you end up with cheese wheels on your eyes. When your character asks "Why cheese?", Vivienne just gently scoffs at you for not knowing.
- This happens in Archer, complete with a ghastly allergic reaction (which is possible in Real Life).
- In Avatar: The Last Airbender, Katara and Toph get one of these in "Tales of Ba Sing Se," during a mud bath. Toph then uses Earthbending on the mud on her face to make the cucumbers stick out like alien eyestalks, terrifying one of the attendants. Katara thinks it's hilarious.
- In My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, it crops up a few times:
- When Twilight Sparkle, as part of her by-the-book slumber party plans, decides they should give each other makeovers, it involves this. Notably, Rarity actually explains correctly what the cucumbers are for. Applejack just eats hers ("Puffiness, schmuffiness!"). (Gets a call-back later when Rarity ends up covered in real mud and AJ, thinking quickly, sticks a pair of cucumber slices on her eyes to make her feel better).
- When Fluttershy and Rarity go to the spa in one episode, Rarity gets a cucumber facial to indicate her sense of high class taste and fixation on appearances. Fluttershy declines and instead only has the mud daubed onto her cheeks. (This may have been more so that she could still visibly emote during the scene, though it's also part of how she has a much-reduced version of every activity in the spa.)
- Rarity wears a mud mask and cucumbers when she sleeps, even when she travels with the others to Appleloosa. Like Yzma above, she jolts awake, scaring everyone else.
- Spike, of all dragons, is relaxing with one at the spa with the girls in "Ponyville Confidential", when Rainbow Dash eats one of his slices. He reaches down her throat, gets it back, and puts it back on.
- In The Penguins of Madagascar, Julien is in the middle of a facial when Maurice is attacked. Which means that he has to apply the cucumbers himself, "which is the real tragedy." He asks Mort to weep for him, as his eyes are too tired from all the "cucumbering"; Mort does so by applying onions to his eyes, remarking that "My eye vegetables are burny!"
- Phineas and Ferb - Doof's ex is shown getting one when their daughter Vanessa calls, trying to bust her father.
- Should be mentioned that she's wearing them OVER her glasses.
- Linda Flynn-Fletcher has one, which she stops to go home because it's weird that she hasn't heard from Candace.
- Recess: The Ashleys do this, and make (Ashley) Spinelli provide them fresh ones while they relax.
- This was also done by the retired opera singer (don't remember her name) from Curious George.
- The Looney Tunes Show episode "Casa de Calma", when Bugs and Daffy go to a spa. Daffy eats his cucumber slices and asks Bugs if he can have his.
- Seen several times in The Fairly OddParents!
- In Fairy Idol — Norm the Genie, as Norm the Fairy, shows up when paged, with a Cucumber Facial. When Chester tells Norm he wishes Norm as Timmy's Fairy, the cucumbers fall off so we can see Norm's evil look.
- Wanda gets one in the episode Wanda's Day Off.
- The Loud House: In "Cereal offender", Rita wears one in an Imagine Spot of herself at the spa. Notably, it's the first time in the series that her face was seen.
- At least one cosmetic company sells eye pads, presoaked in an astringent, printed and scented to resemble cucumber slices. One such example.
- In the post-Soviet countries (maybe others as well) it is normal for women to wipe their face with cucumber peels. You get cucumber peels when making salad anyway, and why throw away something, when you can get a bonus use out of it first?