Being a comedy, Paranatural is naturally full of humour on almost every page. This is a list of some of the webcomic's best.
- All of P.J.
- All of Isaac's Shonen protagonist moments. All of them.
- Max's dad, in all his irresponsible, silly glory. Some examples:
- His life dream was apparently to own a convenience store.
- When Max comes home late in chapter one, only Zoey was worried about him.
- The alt text here:Watching slasher movies at age twelve?! What kind of irresponsible parent would... oh.
- "Ah, I'm sorry, Zoey. I meant to squeeze m'grease into MY soda."
- Johnny's reaction to spotting Max after the soup can scuffle: "wellwellwellwellwellwellwellwellwellwellwellwell"
- From the same page, Ms Baxter goes all Guernica.
- Max looks for a seat in the cafeteria. First he spots Jeff and co., but Johnny's behind them so he turns away, smile frozen on his face. Then he spots Suzy waving to him like a maniac and attempts to do the same "turn away with a frozen smile", but gets yanked back against his will.
- Isabel's words of advice to the defeated Bat Spirit: "STOP BEING EVIL." She then snaps back to being cheery to respond to Mr. Spender.
- Johnny gives Max change for a dollar after their tense brawl.
- Jeff says he wasn't offended that Max didn't sit with them while giving a Suspiciously Specific Denial and Inelegant Blubbering.
- Isaaac's response to Mr. Spender's claim of trying to usurp him:Isaac (cheerily): "I will dance on your grave, sir."
- Suzy's crying face.Collin: Is this going to end with you blowing up his house?
Dimitri: This is going to end with her blowing up his house.
- A spirit is invading Max's house, and it seems to just be bringing reflections to life... and then it eats the clone it made. The faces in the last panel make it.Max: Okay that's a little out of my comfort zone. Gonna call for some backup.
Alt Text: A pragmatic ghost hunter would be happy with this turn of events, as the number of foes has decreased.
- When Isabel asks Max to describe how he's being attacked, Max responds with this: "It has chosen to wage psychological warfare by repeatedly eating itself in front of me."
- Racist frog-whale."BEHOLD..."PERFECSHBLUH"
- Isaac's use of idiom backfires since Max takes it literally: "What? No, I meant ... like, join the club of not ... not being told what..."
- Max and Isaac abscond over a fence, and Ollie suggests Johnny to use him to climb over the fence. Johnny's response is to angrily scream, "THE FRIENDSHIP FUSION IS NOT A LADDER, IT IS A UNION OF SOULS!!"
- Made even better in the alttext - "well how about I just throw you over - THE CAMARADERIE CANNON IS NOT FOR CLEARING OBSTACLES."
- Johnny and Max's back and forth:Max: Johnny, I am picking up real subtle hints that you are a huge ludicrous oaf. I take it you still want to fight me?Johnny: "On a scale of yes to no"
"Yes."Max: Wow, you just went full Zen Bully there. Pretty sure I'm enlightened now. ...And therefore a pacifist. ...And therefore can't fight you.Johnny: I'll pass a fist through your face
Why you gotta play hard to beat up
- Max's reaction to Johnny breaking his scooter. "I DON'T UNDERSTAAAND"
- Suzy getting Max's attention by throwing her cellphone at his head from a moving bus.
- On the next page, we find out that her ringtone is obnoxiously loud dubstep.
- Page 21 of chapter 3. The faces Isaac makes as he effortlessly stomps the bridge spirit, and then nonchalantly finds a way around his Invisible Wall.
- Max has just jumped through a bus using the emergency windows. What's Suzy's reaction? "3D blackmail."
- Johnny and his self-defeating chase. The scooter breaks due to his meddling, but he's still able to ride it until Max regains his bat and attracts the entire scooter back to his bat, leading to Johnny wiping out and smacking a rock.
- Isaac and Max wind up in a position to eavesdrop on a phone call between Spender and his (unknown at the time) superior. Max manages to restrain himself, until a target comes along that he simply cannot resist:Spender: I don't see why this warranted a phone call. Honestly, it's bad enough seeing you in my dreams every night.
Max: (bursting out from behind the couch) I DO DECLARE
- The faces... THE FACES.note Isabel compliments the paper making Isaac looking like a "brooding anti-hero", while Ed's busy wiping the ink off of his face.
- Spender's reaction to being handed a possessed pencil: going "mmnnyurrh" while his facial features start sliding off.
- Mr. Spender not having an answer to why there's a Masquerade.
- A Funny Background Event: the late pass Mr. Spender gives Max literally just says "Late Pass"
- Max deals with shoplifters through wordplay and taunting. It works.
- Note the sign on the pizza delivery car on this page. "Papa Squat's PIZZA And Wiretapping". Also note the comment chain it set off.
- "A swift jab becomes two dolphins!" and the ridiculous comment chain it sent off."A thrust of your butt becomes a Racist Whale Frog"
- If you look closely at Mr. Spender's suit here, you'll notice it's actually footsie pyjamas.
- Close examination of the following scenes reveals that everyone in the dream nexus is similarly attired.
- While it pays off on future pages, just the image of Spender, rocking his best Badass in a Nice Suit style, dramatically saying "Let's get this party started, shall we?"...before getting into bed, turning off the light, and going to sleep.
- As Zack states, this is a Weird Page. And it is glorious.
- Awesome Art aside, this page is fantastic.Ed: She's... she's CHANGING THE SUBJECT!!
- Apparently, there's a spirit that's a bald eagle wearing an Uncle Sam tophat whose only job is to show up and cry a single tear whenever someone insults authority.
- Also from that page: Max's problem with Johnny's threat being his bad grammar, all of Johnny's faces.
- Ollie wonders about the secrets on Max's brain. We see him thinking of a fusion between a sherbert and a Furby. A Sherby.Lick me. Please.
- This entire page, where Spender forgets that the spirit he's fighting is still there."ISABEL NO MERCY KILLS!!"
- The follow-up, where Ms. Baxter walks in and Spender tries to explain his situation, poorly.
- It's always important to remember that your life-or-death struggles cannot be correctly interpreted by the population at large, so always have a decent excuse for your shenanigans. Like doing hip abductions in an alleyway.
- The whole conversation between Johnny and his gang here. Golfers are notoriously mortal.The Rant: I can't think of a single immortal golfer.
- Mr Starchman uses his noodle.
- How do the Attack the Block-looking spirits taunt Forge into throwing his mace? Blowing a Raspberry, naturally.
- Due to some coincidental word choice, Max's dad thinks he's some kind of weird psychic (the seeing the future kind)note
- This entire page, where everyone keeps interrupting each other. Spender's face as he attempts his dramatic speech is also of note.
- The 'teams'.
- Weather & Magnets: Team LightningrodIsaac: We fight as one, brother!
Max: Literally just met you, dude.
- Paper & Magnets: Team Refrigerator Remindernote
- Weather & Ink: Team Forecast Octopusnote
- Weather & Magnets: Team Lightningrod
- Here, Spender suspects (incorrectly) a Look Behind You ruse from Forge.Forge: Spectral, behind you!
Spender: Aha! I won't fall for THAT a sixth time!
Alt Text: In Spender's defense, one of those was a "Whatever you do, DON'T look behind you" which is really tricky
- Chapter 4, Page 100 is a bizarre mix of this and an absolutely tear-jerking moment (Spoilers all over! Read the page at your own risk!). Eightfold is - tragically - going to be lost forever. Her whole farewell speech seems to be building to tear-jerking "famous last words..." but instead, we get Shoujo dramatics and "See you later... crocodile."
- commenter: I am crying and laughing at the same time. This is entirely unsporting, Zack.
- The Power of Love saves Max from an incoming disaster! Though considering how it manifests Max most likely wishes that it hadn't.
- After 72 pages of absence, Johnny and his crew finally make it to our heroes! And what do they see when they get there? Well.. The more important thing to ask about is how they took it.
- In the following page, Johnny goes Get a Hold of Yourself, Man! on RJ. Except he's actually violently wiping the tears off their eyes.
- When Max first wakes up after the whole Ghost Train debacle, it takes him a minute to remember his filter.
- While trying to uncover the mysteries of his new belongings, Spender gets a brilliant idea.
- Johnny and the gang's advanced bullying tactics.Johnny: WHAT'S MAX'S DEAL?
Ollie: What's your favorite flavor of movie?
Johnny: WHO'S IN HIS CREW, AND HOW DO THEY FLOAT?
Ollie: Did you know that everything's going to be alright?
- During Hitball, Johnny and the crew contemplate RJ's picture of the paranatural crew floating above the ghost train, and Johnny laments that Stephen isn't there to help them solve the case, stating that he's cracked harder ones. Stephen's flashback/dream response is that it's by lizardmen. Complete with a pointing finger and a goofy expression.
- Suzy shows off the blackmail photo she has of Max - the author apologizes for it.
- The sheer blatantness of the Vice Principal's Paper-Thin Disguise, which consists of a T-shirt, fake arms, baseball cap, and jeans settled on her Gag Nose.
- Comes to a head in Chapter 5 Page 54, where Jeff rips the fake kid's arms off, causing the Vice Principal's nose to bleed... only for the various schoolchildren to still believe that the disguise is an actual kid, but that its arms have been ripped off and its eyes are bleeding. Which gets even more insane when one child screams:
- Jeff flings a ball that almost hits Max and leaves a crater in the bleachers. Cue a page of everyone reacting to this with shock and horror... except for one person.Cody: Wow, Jeff! Nice throw!Everyone else: Read the mood!
- While getting Max escorted out of the gym, one bully is leaning by the door, mocking how "The new kid cried like a baby does!", only to be quickly pulled away by Ollie so Johnny can be the one leaning against the door dramatically.
- Johnny screaming that he's the "roughest, Toughest, BUFFEST kid in SCHOOL!" as he flings himself off of a rope swing.
- Said plan for the swing was for Ollie to launch Johnny at RJ (who's holding a baseball bat) at fifty miles per hour.
- Isaac spots Isabel and Ed sprinting through the hall and starts to reprimand them, but Isabel grabs him as they pass, prompting an interesting combination of words.Isaac: Uhh, you guys know running in the halls is frowned upon by— JESUS
- The gym/Jim confusion between Ed and Isaac.
- Max remembers Hijack's invitation and finds it weird that a spirit would have a house or like video games.
- After the ruckus with the hitball game, Jeff has apparently been placed in a cardboard box labelled "Calm Down Cube".Principal Pleezdo: Feeling better, young man?Jeff: The yelling's inside instead of outside now.
- When the Doctopi on Max gleefully senses Mr. Spender's chest injury, Spender...panics.
- The Journalism Club tries to get some dirt on the Activity Club via the wire on Max...only for the information to be sabotaged constantly. Max has placed a note on himself saying that he's bugged and casually threw out that he isn't in a very obvious manner. He also shuts up Spender when he's about to state the club's purpose. Then there's Dimitri snarking at Collin, causing him to leave, then the feedback from the wire keeps getting cut out due to Dimitri getting tangled in the wires,, then when it's Dimitri's turn at hearing the noise, he gets this interpretation:Dimitri: OK so it's mostly static but I'm pretty sure I heard the words "burning" and "the governor" and "in effigy".Suzy (frantically writing): HOLY GOD.
- Then it's revealed that Dimitri had never pressed the button to record the audio. The next panel cuts with a caption of "Five minutes of screaming later".
- Some of Mr. Starchman's hobbies include: Ice skating on wet floors, sitting on the vending machine and throwing change to kids like they were birds, and getting along with animals better than Cinderella.
- Dr. Zarei's failed attempt to be intimidating, which provokes the opposite reaction.Agent Day: THAT WAS THE MOST ADORABLE THING EVER OMGDr. Zarei: STOP!! Saying that internet word out loud!!
- This entire page is golden but "I know you are gay, but try to keep your composure." is a line out of legend.Patchworm: you are hiding under a table from a blind woman
- The reveal of Agent Day's spirit, Venus Guytrap, not just for the incredibly great name, but because he uses Flowery Elizabethan English, and that's just wonderful.
- Johnny's attempt to interrogate Ed. First there's Ed's reaction to the vague demand of "tell me everything", then he psychologically destroys Johnny, then there's his martial arts fantasies, then he accidentally yanks off Johnny's shirt trying to judo throw him so he just hits him in the gut instead, and finally Muse pops in to congratulate him and advise that they beat up even more children.
- After deconstructing Johnny's bully behavior, Ed resignedly tells him to go ahead and punch him. Johnny looks very uncomfortable, and we get this gem of a Rant:if you turn the other cheek fast enough you can really get some force behind it and use it for offensive striking purposes
- After deconstructing Johnny's bully behavior, Ed resignedly tells him to go ahead and punch him. Johnny looks very uncomfortable, and we get this gem of a Rant:
- Middle School politics is Serious Business.
- The introduction of Flipflop, Isabel's new spirit. When Isabel raises her hand at him, he immediately ducks for cover and pleads for her not to blast him. After he tells her his power of flipping things, he ducks for cover again and tells her to blast him.
- The end result of Johnny v Ed: Ed wearing Johnny's shirt like a bandana and RJ wielding a locker door as a shield.
- Johnny then has a mental breakdown, followed by Ed having the Ed-equivalent of the same.Johnny: If I should be more, or less Johnny... and if the Johnny I've been really is who Johnny is or the only Johnny I can be. Johnny.
Ed (thinking): Oh man, he's totally expecting me to say something helpful or inspiring... but I'm no good at that! W-what should I do??
Ed's mental image of Muse: Squats. Ten billion squats.
Ed's mental image of Isabel's Grandpa: The dishes. Also squats.
Ed's mental image of Isabel: Never talk to me again. Unfriended.
Ed (thinking): No good, I have to dig deeper! What would my fictional mentors say in a situation like this??
- He eventually just decides to recycle some stock inspirational quotes, which blow Johnny's mind anyway.
- Johnny then has a mental breakdown, followed by Ed having the Ed-equivalent of the same.
- Johnny explains RJ's backstory after casually mentioning that RJ is nonbinary. RJ then ruins the moment.
- After befriending Johnny and RJ, Ed sees a golden opportunity for more man power. Their reaction says it all.
- After Johnny, RJ, and Ed manage to take down Mr. Starchman, we find out that a massive horde of other students was also pursuing him for his Starchman Stars just off camera. Apparently they've been trying for centuries.
- Lucifer's reaction to Hijack revealing his connection to Dr. Zarei is that she's his mom. He's 600 years old and way too old for this shit.
- Mr. Spender is confronted by Isaac. Isaac has drastically misinterpreted the situation though due to misunderstanding the explanation, and doesn't do himself any favors by similarly misunderstanding Spender's response.
- Hijack playing the villain.Hijack!Spender: The teachers's lounge is where the teachers are. *Beat* ...At their most vulnerable. While lounging.
- It then devolves into standard Saturday morning villain evil plots:Hijack!Spender: The world is impure. Therefore it is ethical, to destroy the earth.
Max: GOD, you're the WORST!
- The multiple Beat Panels with Ed and Isabel glancing at each other and back at Hijack, while Hijack stays frozen with the same pose and expression.
- It then devolves into standard Saturday morning villain evil plots:
- Dimitri's dodging strategy freaks out Hijack!Spender and Max. So much for his villain shtick.
- P.J. and Max's interaction on this page.Max: ...Sorry, these things pop into my head and I say them. It's- you're fine.
- The summary of the situation to Spender.Max: Yeah, dude was one part faux intellectual and two parts baby, so basically impossible to tell it wasn't you.
Spender: I see... it sounds like you had it pretty rough.
Isaac: ...you're just gonna take that, sir?
- Hijack mentioning that his name on Miiverse is SlendermanMario. The mashup of interests on display is amusing enough, but picturing Mario with Slenderman proportions makes it even better.
- The sudden switch on mood from the Dave using the vampire rules so that Cody will have to obey. He first demands completely serious that he destroys Hijack... and then tells him "Also, give me a kiss". Cody's face as he does so says it all.
- When rebuffing his mom on how he got suspended from school, Stephen gives this line:Stephen: It's not my fault if Principal Pleezdoo wants to HATE ME JUST because I drove her hatchback through the quote unquote "open house".
- Stephen's mom derails herself during her argument when she brings up her desire to be a stage magician. After grounding Stephen, his response is to angrily rip the tablecloth off while leaving all the food intact, including the mess the baby made. Stephen's mom goes back to dreaming about being a magician while her husband consoles her.
- DJ Mothman responds to an angry comment a minute after it's posted and goes by the Overly Long Name of "APEX CELEBRITY THE GOD DJ MOTHMAN".
- The clash of ideologies between Stephen and Ritz Price-Lee. Stephen claims that beating up innocent people is acceptable, but draws a line at beating up innocent animals. Ritz, meanwhile, beats up animals not for fun, but because they're poor.Ritz: Animals have been free-loading on our planet for WAY too long. SOMEone needs to teach them a lesson. Maybe then they'll stop eating berries in the woods or whatever and get a real job.
- Ritz's expression as she trips over the dog.
- After Stephen returns the dog, he finds out it was all a trick. Lavish Price, mother of Ritz, hijacked all the lost dog posters in town with her own phone number so that she can create a bitcoin mining dog slave ring.
- Soon afterwards, Lavish's accomplice reveals himself to be an undercover cop trying to bust her for her crimes. Specifically, war crimes.
- The end of the arc has Stephen sneaking the dog into his room and hurriedly trying to hide it from his mother. She catches him in the act, but because it looks like he's practicing some stage magic, she's driven to Ocular Gushers levels of Tender Tears.
- All of the Supernormal gag strips but especially this one◊
- Jeff's shirt on the cast page is a Lenny face with the word "troll" underneath it.
- Zack's first attempt at naming Isabel's grandpa.Tumblr user: ZACK NO. NO. FRASCO IS NOT A NAME. IT LITERALLY MEANS BOTTLE.
- Various Twitter sketches. Highlights include:
- Suzy's explanation of the pizza incident.Suzy: He threw an entire pizza out a window.
- Forge misunderstands a commentator's question on his art form as "heart form" and descends into an angry rant.
- When asked what his favorite burger is, Ed's response is to eat a hamburger and then not get the question.
- Max's dad getting off of work early and visiting Max in his chicken mascot outfit.
- Johnny's description of how he works out quickly devolves into nonsense, ending with "Loops, LARPs, lips, Death Jags and a balanced diet".
- Forge and Doorman engaging in a game of Twister, with Nin calling the colors.
- Isaac's Magical Girl Transformation turns him into...Isaac, except wet.
- The Imaax pairing is portrayed as...Isaac and Max going to an Imax movie theater.Isaac: That sure is a big screen.
- Ed and Isaac being thrown around the out-of-control Ghost Train.Ed: I don't want to die off screen!
- Suzy's explanation of the pizza incident.
- Zack draws the Activity Club members' ice cream flavors. Max has a snappy response to his gray ice cream, Ed is given a pizza, Spender tries to be dramatic with his chocolate/vanilla swirl, and Isaac just sips water from a cone.
- This banner ad, featuring several overdramatic Isaacs, with one cradling a dying Isaac in his arms. The banner's message is "believe in yourself".
- From the store:
- Walker's tuxedo speedo on the Dream Vacation print, complete with dangling tie.
- The Insolent Children shirt description:fill yourself with the spirit of the Insolent Child, who defies the authority of grown-ups, even when you're mid-mid-life crisis and the adult you're standing up to is a 22 year old barista. The whole world is your dad, and you HATE THAT GUY.
- RJ's hood being pulled shut on the Friendship Fusion print.
- The entire product description of the Friendship Fusion print.Commemorated in this poster print, the Johnny gangs ultimate technique multiplies their brainpower and powerpower fourfold by fusing them into one being. Asked for comment, local tween Maxwell Puckett, who has survived an encounter with a partial Friendship Fusion, remarked get away from me, Suzy and anything times zero is still zero, like some kind of math nerd. In conclusion, the Friendship Fusion is a combination of contrasts.
- The last sentence reads as if Suzy is BS-ing an essay.
- To make up for missing two updates due to wrist strain, Zack made a short story using text-to-speech about the Activity Club (sans Ed, who runs off to play with bumper cars) going mini-golfing:
- Max gaining the nickname "The Bogeyman" from other sophomores due to his abysmal score. On the penultimate hole, he scores 100.
- Isaac duel-wielding clubs because he was imitating someone from a golf anime.
- Max, Isaac and Isabel have to save Spender from a "final hole spirit" mainly because he's their ride home.
- The final hole is....a windmill obstacle. Max lampshades how underwhelming it is.
- Max talking about how odd it is that there's mini golf but not mini versions of other sports.
- Isaac utterly fails to make a comeback:Max scoffed. "Don't get cute with me, Isaac."
Poor Isaac stuttered out his reply, getting redder with each stumbled word. "I wasn't- It...it takes one to know- You're the one who- I - You- YOU'RE cute with ME!"
His cheeks went supernova. Isabel's guffaw echoed out across the whole golf course.
- Isaac trying to strike a cool anime pose after Max makes a hole-in-one on the final hole and getting blinded by fluorescent lights as a result.
- Spender stepping out from behind the windmill and clapping loudly, exclaiming that "[they've] obtained the power of the most powerful spirit of all....team spirit." The Activity Club's response?Brandishing their golf clubs and shouting obscenities, all three Activity Club members charged their teacher...as a team.