- Though Scorpion's yellow coloration was originally meant to mock Sub-Zero and the Lin Kuei, in nature, the yellow scorpion (especially the brighter colored ones) are deadlier than the black ones. In other words, Scorpion is one of the deadliest of his clan.
- Scorpion and Sub-Zero are completely contrasting characters in almost every aspect. Scorpion's a Large Ham who controls flames, and Sub-Zero is more reserved, with ice-based powers. It's only natural that the fiery Scorpion is more prone to shouting and being hot-tempered, whereas Sub-Zero's personality is cooler in comparison.
- It is well known that the Shokan have four arms, but why is that? This is something I always wondered about, then the answer hit me: they are half-human dragons, and dragons have six limbs: four legs and two wings◊! In the case of the Shokan, the hind legs became the legs, the forelegs became a pair of arms, and the wings became the second pair of arms!
- I heard somewhere a rumor that the "half-dragon" part of the Shokan were from Onaga, their ancestor. Makes a bit of sense, given your Fridge Brilliance. However, look at Onaga's feet; they're hooves instead of normal dragon feet. Given your statement, it could be possible that the Centaurs are also part of Onaga's family, distantly related to the Shokan following a different evolutionary line. It could also explain why they want to one-up each other; they're instinctively trying to show which offspring of Onaga's is fit to rule.
- Frankly, the whole half-dragon thing seems to have been thrown out. They do still use the term occasionally, but there's nothing particularly dragon-y about Sheeva or Kintaro. In fact, Goro and Sheeva belong to one sub-race of Shokan, called the Draco lineage (let me finish) and Kintaro belongs to the Tigrar lineage. My real-life theory is that they just decided to abandon the half-dragon thing. But as for in-universe, it is possible that someone heard Goro was a Draco Shokan, and assumed that there was a connection to the Latin word.
- The character page for Scorpion says that Scorpion making his own costume a yellow version of Sub-Zero's is a mistake, since he's doing it to mock the Lin Kuei and call them cowards, when, in fact, the color yellow symbolizes courage in Japan, where he's from. It actually makes perfect sense, since his own yellow outfit as opposed to the Lin Kuei's non-yellow ones could be a symbolic way of saying "I have courage and you don't. Cowards."
- To add another element to the rivalry of Sub-Zero/The Lin Kuei Clan and Scorpion/The Shirai Ryu Clan is also a bit of Genius Bonus, too; the former and his tribe are Chinese (mostly) and the latter and his tribe are Japanese. In Real Life, China and Japan absolutely hate each other and is arguably the most intense rivalry between nations in the world, so it makes perfect sense to have two characters who happen to be each nationality have the franchise's primary (and most popular) rivalry.
- Johnny's entire style. Even though he's a very seasoned Kombatant and the current champion of Earthrealm (after Liu Kang's unfortunate fate), he is constantly underestimated by everyone, up to and including his ex-wife. But that's the entire point. While he's powerful, he's not military like Sonya and Jax, a trained warrior from childhood like Liu Kang or Kung Lao, or a god like Shinnok or Raiden. John is an actor, first and foremost, and he's fighting way outside his weight class. His acting background is all about making the audience (in this case, an opponent) see what the actor wants them to see. And he wants them to see a loud-mouthed idiot so that they don't take his fighting abilities seriously. His Shadow Kick and other powers mostly rely on misdirection and confusion while his You Fight Like a Cow taunting is designed to goad his opponents into making a mistake. The guy is a first-rate Guile Hero and the MK universe's answer to Harry Dresden.
- So, Johnny's weaponized Obfuscating Stupidity? Sounds about right.
- If the tournament is supposed to decide the war between Earthrealm and Outworld, why are all the playable characters from Earth? Because Goro has dominated the nine previous tournaments, and Shang Tsung is confident/cocky enough to think he doesn't need any additional Outworld help.
Fridge / Mortal Kombat