Mortal Kombat Legends is a pair of movies by Warner Bros. Animation. The pair is:
The films contain examples of the following tropes:
- Adaptational Heroism: Scorpion frequently went through the HeelFace Revolving Door and was often presented as one of the villains against Raiden's forces, before finally becoming a hero in the reboot games. Here, he's a decent person long before learning about what Quan Chi did to him and even aided Raiden's forces against Kano and his men.
- Adaptational Nice Guy:
- Granted, Shao Kahn is still a Bad Boss, still decided to invade Earthrealm despite losing, and scoffed at the Elder Gods, but he also settled for merely beating up Shang Tsung for his faiulre in the first film and in the second, he decided to propose another tournament with the Elder Gods' consent. In the games, Shang Tsung had to propose another tournament to save himself from being killed and Shao Kahn ultimately didn't give a damn what the Gods thought of his actions.
- At no point between the two film does Shang Tsung ever try to pull a Starscream on Shao Kahn. In fact, between this and the fact he chastised Quan Chi for going against Shao Kahn in Scorpion's Revenge for his actions, it suggests this version of Shang Tsung is loyal to Shao Kahn as opposed to merely opposing Quan Chi due to Pragmatic Villainy as Shinnok is known for being an unabashed Omnicidal Maniac.
- Animation Lead Time: Despite the fact Mortal Kombat 11 was released before Scorpion's Revenge came out, Scorpion still uses his Mortal Kombat X design in these films.
- Big Bad Ensemble:
- In the first film: Shang Tsung and Quan Chi. The former hosts the Mortal Kombat Tournament on behalf of Shao Kahn, while the latter killed Scorpions family and clan, pinned it on Sub-Zero, enlisted him as his champion and is the Final Boss.
- In the second: Shao Kahn and Shinnok. Shao hosts the final Mortal Kombat tournament with intention of conquering the Realms, while Shinnok gathers the Kamidogu to summon the One Being and destroy all of existence.
- Bloodier and Gorier: Than the original films, or previous animated adaptations.
- Gorn: Oh yes. This is EXTREMELY bloody, as would be expected from the franchise.
- Logo Joke: As seen in the image: Scorpion replaces Porky in the first film, while Ultra Instinct Shaggy does this to Scorpion in the second.