Kevin Conroy (born November 30, 1955) is an American actor. Becoming a professional actor in the 1970s, Conroy has performed in numerous productions over the years, particularly in theatre.
Beginning with Batman: The Animated Series, Conroy lent his voice to the iconic character and hasn't looked back since. His performances as Batman are often lauded, especially the manner in which he is able to vocally portray Batman and Bruce Wayne as two different people. He would continue to play the role of the Dark Knight every time he appeared in the DC Animated Universe, a continuity which includes the aforementioned Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Justice League as well as numerous Batman-related games. Conroy reprised the role in Batman: Gotham Knight, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Batman: Arkham City, Justice League: Doom, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox* , Injustice: Gods Among Us, DC Universe Online, Batman: Assault on Arkham, Justice League Action , Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?,
It was announced in 2019 that after 27 years, he would play Bruce Wayne in live action, specifically in the Arrowverse's Crisis Crossover, Crisis on Infinite Earths, as a retired, parallel Earth version of Bruce drawing inspiration from Batman Beyond and Kingdom Come.
Some of his other roles include Captain Sunshine on The Venture Bros.,note , John Grayson on The Batman , Bellicus on Ben 10: Alien Force , and various characters from both Max Payne and Jak and Daxter.
He's not related to Frances Conroy. However, both of them were members of Juilliard's Drama Division Group 6 (19731977) and both have a history with DC Comics adaptations (Batman especially, with Frances playing in Catwoman and Joker).
"I am vengeance, I am the tropes, I AM BATMAN!"
- Badass Baritone: Why else do you think he works so perfectly as the voice of Batman?
- Everyone Went to School Together: His roommate at Julliard was Robin Williams, and Conroy was classmates with Kelsey Grammer and Christopher Reeve. Almost a crossover there...
- I Am Not Spock: Completely and totally averted. He makes no secret that he loves playing Batman and will take every opportunity to voice him that he can.
- Manly Gay: He came out as gay in 2016, and his most famous voice role is the very masculine Batman.
- Relationship Voice Actor: Kevin Conroy's Batman with Mark Hamill's Joker.
- Vocal Evolution: For the first season of Batman: TAS, he used a raspy voice while playing Batman and pitched his voice up while playing Bruce Wayne. He subsequently switched to using a lower, gruff tone for Batman and his regular speaking voice for Bruce Waynenote .