John Soursby Glover Jr. (born August 7, 1944 in Kingston, New York) is an American stage, television, and film actor.
He is best known for playing numerous villainous roles, and will be instantly familiar to many television viewers as Lionel, Lex Luthor's Archnemesis Dad on the show Smallville. Other notable bad guy parts from Glover include everything from a bit appearance as Dr. Jason Woodrue in Batman & Robin, to an absolutely chilling performance as The Devil himself in the series Brimstone. That being said, Glover has appeared in a wide variety of milieus, from Gremlins 2: The New Batch, to Broadway productions of Love! Valour! Compassion! and Waiting for Godot, to Batman: The Animated Series, where he provided the voice of The Riddler.
Glover is a well-regarded actor, and has received two Emmy nominations (one of which he won), two Tony Award nominations (one of which he again, won), and two Saturn Award nominations for his performance as Lionel. He is openly gay.
Other Notable Roles
- Annie Hall as Actor Boyfriend
- Scrooged as Bryce Cummings
- Robocop 2 as the Magnavolt salesman
- Batman & Robin as Dr. Jason Woodroe
- Payback as Phil
- SHAZAM! as Doctor Sivana's father
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent as Dr. Declan Gage (2 episodes)
- NUMB3RS as Simon Craft (2 episodes)
- Brothers & Sisters as Henry Mittner (1 episode)
- Medium as Carson Churchill (1 episode)
- Perception as The Devil (1 episode)
- Agent Carter as SSR Informant (1 episode)
- The Good Wife as Jared Andrews (4 episodes)
- The Good Fight as Jared Andrews (1 episode)
- You Bury Your Own as Det. Gilliespie
- We Go On as Dr. Ellison
- Tales Of The City as Bill Schwartz (1 episode)
- Evil as Byron Duke (1 episode)
- Brimstone as Satan (13 episodes)
This actor provides examples of:
- Abusive Dad: Not in Real Life, but between Lionel Luthor, Sylar's dad on Heroes and Thaddeus Sivana's father in SHAZAM!, he's got this trope covered.
- Badass Beard: Most of his roles see him sporting one. Often overlaps with Beard of Evil.
- Large Ham: Oh yes. Given his penchant for villainous roles it often overlaps with Evil Is Hammy.
- Playing Against Type:
- His character in Gremlins 2: The New Batch was supposed to be the usual crooked unpleasant executive. Glover instead played him as an immensely likable if very eccentric businessman.
- His role in the HBO Western Comedy El Diablo. Glover plays a con artist gunfighter, but the character is actually on the side of the heroes and is probably the most affable character in the show.
- His guest role in Murder, She Wrote, in which he plays an ex-convict who was sent to prison by a Miscarriage of Justice, out to prove his innocence.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: In many, many appearances. Often overlaps with Badass in a Nice Suit and especially Man of Wealth and Taste.
- Typecasting: His stage work may be all over the place, but his television roles are almost inevitably of the sinister variety.