Death Weapon Meister Academy: Headmaster, Teachers, and Staff | Students (Crescent Moon, Half Moon, NOT) | Affiliates (Vladingham Family)
Novus Partus: Novus Partus (Project Omega, Anria)
Miscellaneous: Gangs | Other Antagonists
The faculty members of the Academy who teach various classes, preside over clubs and extracurricular activities, and/or are employed by the school for other, miscellaneous duties. This section deals with character directly involved with the main branch, or the school, of the DWMA in Death City, Nevada. For other workers affiliated with the organization but not exactly T the aforesaid location, click "Affiliates" in the disambiguation above.
Remember: Tropes applying to Canon Characters should come from the story. For canon information and tropes, please see here.
Beware of unmarked spoilers. This page is still under considerable construction.
Artwork Note: All artwork and illustrations of the Original Characters and other such original concepts have been retrieved from here with express permission also given here. Credit is given to the proper people.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: The organization's best fighter and its leader. He is a god after all.
- Catchphrase: Now lets roll up our sleeves and get to work! seems to have become one for him.
- Badass Baritone: During his Let's Get Dangerous! moments, otherwise his voice is chipper and goofy.
- Badass in Charge: Of Death Weapon Meister Academy.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Lord Death can be a pretty lenient and sociable fellow for the mighty Academy leader and headmaster. Just dont piss him off, give him a reason to believe there is something wrong with you (looking at you, Correctional Class), or harm those he is supposed to protect (looking at you, Shaula).
- Beware the Silly Ones: For the same reasons as the above.
- Bond One-Liner: To Shaula. Subverted in that she manages to barely escape with her life.Lord Death: It is done.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- Dark Is Not Evil: The Grim Reaper and protect of the world is funny, childish, and dorky at times.
- The Dreaded: People fear and follow his guy for a reason.
- Fantastic Racism: Chapter 26 tells us he harbors an intense dislike for Witches because of their actions during the Grim Times and the Period of Destruction. It hasnt been expounded upon yet, so the details are sketchy.
- Grim Reaper / Shinigami
- Let's Get Dangerous!: Whenever his voice deepens, you know things are serious.
- Make an Example of Them: He really wants to let his enemies know that, despite being caged in Death City, hes still the top dog around in this universe. Shaulas attack on his hometown and subjects provided the perfect opportunity for him to cut loose and give them something to remind him by.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Invoked. Lord Death uses shadow skull arms to grab each of his Death Scythes so that they are readily available to him even though he uses only one at a time.
- Multi-Melee Master: Lord Death can wield his Death Scythes in perfect tandem, effortlessly switching between them and using their respective properties to the fullest.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: He aimed to do this with Shaula when he uses Witch Hunter on her, completely annihilating both her body and soul. Epic it was, that was a bad move on his part because now he has no way of knowing that Shaula is still alive.
- On that note, using all of his Death Scythes on just one, scared, and injured witch is overkill to begin with.
- Person of Mass Destruction: His pursuit of Shaula is rather relentless, resulting in what is said to be thousands of dollars in property damage. Azusa even scolds him for causing so much damage while Tezca laughs hysterically about how ironic it is.Lord Death: N-now hold on, Azusa! Everyone gets a little carried away sometimes!
- Physical God: The God of Death and Order.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: To Shaula again. Subverted in that she survives by splitting her soul.Rest in pieces.
- Shrouded in Myth: So few people have actually seen Lord Death at his strongest. His immense might is basically understood through word of mouth and legend. Death City folklore, although, has the following to say about him: The Grim Reaper at His finest, wielding a Death Scythe.
- Signature Move: REAPER CHOP!
- There Are No Coincidences: Averted. Stein asks Lord Death if pairing Maka and Soul with Caius and Claudia against the Gemini was intentional. He denies it, but he does say that it provides a good learning experience.
- "World of Cardboard" Speech: Chapter 28. Let it speak for itself.Lord Death: I really, really dont appreciate what youve done to my city and my people. Have you any idea of the peoples lives youve change for the worst? I dont think you do. I swear, you Witches think you can do anything in your silly little pursuit for dominance. Though, I think I have myself to blame. Youve forgotten who the guardian of this world is. Im going to make an example of you, Shaula Gorgon. To let my enemies know whos still in charge around here.
- Badass Teacher: The homeroom teacher of Class Crescent Moon is also the most notorious, most renowned Meister in the history of the Academy.
- Mad Doctor
- Mad Scientist
- Nerves of Steel: He never once drops his usual demeanor when fighting Kim and Tsuji. Take note that their fight involved extremely destructive fire.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: In Chapter 2, Stein goes to the Correctional Class homeroom for Noel. He doesnt know this yet, but he is away at the time. He knocks on the door and hears the students on the other side scrambling to fix things up. Stein enters and a disappointed student points out its not Noel. Cue Steins glasses glinting as he looks at said student.
- Troll: He still takes pleasure in messing with people.
- World's Strongest Man/World's Best Warrior: Stein is the Worlds Strongest Meister.
- Animal Motifs: Appears to be the lion.
- Jerkass: Doesnt bother to remember those who leave the Half Moon Class and calls Class Crescent Moon pathetic. This isnt gonna be fun in the future
- Razor-Sharp Hand: Focal Jab. In its debut usage, Crona uses Black Blood to No-Sell it.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Earning him the dubious nickname of Penguin Suit Freak by Ragnarok.
- Stern Teacher / Sadist Teacher: Ox brings forth the rumor that Professor Matilda is very strict in both training and teaching. Caius doesnt exactly deny those, but his methods do work.
- Supernatural Martial Arts: Knows Soul Fist from the Olmett Family.
- What's in It for Me?: Says this trope word-for-word when Stein asks for his help for the field exam. Though, hes keeping his students in mind as well since he doesnt like that Class Crescent Moon is getting something the others arent.
- "For today, let me give you something to think about. Oftentimes, we listen to what people say and see what they do to gather an impression of them. But, there is actually a better way. In battle, when warriors clash, this exchange of blows, slashes, or whatever can invisibly tell a lot about each other their fighting style, their strength, the amount of effort they are putting in. For us Meisters and Weapons, each time we clash with another like ourselves, inputting our soul into everything, we tell even more. If you concentrate, through a single battle, you can learn so much about the other person."
In Soul Eater: Troubled Souls, Noel debuts as the 42-year-old father of Tsuji and Rowena Ricardsen and the husband of Rosalind. Noel Isaac Ricardsen is the currently employed as the DWMA's head disciplinarian as well as the homeroom teacher for the Correctional Class. He has an older brother named Edward. Three years prior, in Chicago, he stopped and offered aid to Marcellus and Nayumi and began training his children after the four decided to partner up and join the Academy
Note: Unless its related or expounds upon something in Troubled Souls, please keep all Soul Eater Zeta tropes and information about Noel here.
- Abusive Parents: Not him, but apparently his own parents were far from model parents.
- Action Dad: Even tough guys love their children.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: He tousles Nayumis hair when she hangs off his arm.
- Ambiguously Human: Well, Stein did say the legend about the Enchanted Eyes said users sacrifice a part of their humanity.. Who knows if that's true?
- Badass Baritone: A dry, deep, commanding voice.
- Badass Teacher: As youd expect of a DWMA teacher.
- Bad Powers, Good People: A good guy with a demonically-themed power and immense strength.
- Bare-Handed Blade Block: His battle gloves give him a justified reason for doing so.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: He does care about good students and his children. That said, he's not consistently nice.
- Close-Range Combatant: Can only fight opponents when theyre within an arms reach of him. Fist of Balam is shown to be a projectile, but that only does so much for him.
- Creepy Good: Not as creepy as, say, Dr. Stein, but its still there.
- Curtains Match the Window: Sort of. He has dark auburn eyes (a shade of orange), but orange is one of two of his hair colors.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Tends to wear black along with orange and his Enchanted Eye(s) theme is demonism, but he works for the side of good.
- The Dreaded: The very first chapter of Soul Eater Zeta showed that Noel was an extremely feared Berserker. Even in the present, in Troubled Souls, when he steps into a room, most of the students believe someone is in trouble and dont want to get hurt themselves.
- Deadpan Snarker/Danger Deadpan: Noel is almost always speaking in a dry, deadpan voice. That said, this story is a World of Snark for a reason.
- Good Is Not Soft/Good Is Not Nice: Noel isn't afraid to make someone fear him.
- Good Parents: In spades. He appears abrasive and cold, but Noel is a loving and caring father to his children. He does his best to make sure Tsuji succeeds in mastering the Enchanted Eyes without the negative side-effects he suffered. Its too early to see what he will do for Rowena, but it can be assumed Noel loves her all the same. This extends to Marcellus and Nayumi, who he has no blood ties with. He offers advice and care to the both of them, completely empathetic to their checkered pasts. Prior to the storys beginning, Noel shapes all four of them into brilliant fighters on par with the seasoned veteran students in ability.Nayumi: Mr. Ricardseeeen! (jumps and latches onto his arm) Hi. Did you miss us? Did you miss us?!
Noel: (ruffles her hair) No.
- Heroes Fight Barehanded: Excepting the Enchanted Eye and what comes with it, Noel strictly uses hand-to-hand combat.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: He's got a tough and thorny outward demeanor, but Noel can be quite nice. Case in point, he had no reason to stop and give Marcellus and Nayumi shelter (and later take care of them under his house's roof) other than the goodness of his heart.
- Knight In Sour Armor: Works for the DWMA to fight evil, but doesnt have the characteristic hammy or eccentric personality.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: The Demon Shield.
- Magical Eye: The Enchanted Eye. He can use both eyes at once, but during his days as a student, his brother Edward and Emma forbid him from using them. So he developed the one-eyed variant he uses today. It provides all the same benefits, but the exact drawbacks and differences aren't known.
- Malfunction Malady/Un-Sorcerer: Like Marcellus, Noels got Pheryoxoma according to his character profile. It prevents Demon Weapons from undergoing Partial Transformation. This disease is especially potent in Noels case considering, unlike Marcellus, he has no partner and this therefore decreases his potential as a fighter (he wouldve been able to be autonomous like Justin). Then again, that mightve been the authors intention.
- Multicolored Hair: Black and orange.
- Older and Wiser: Inevitably. Hes a student in Soul Eater Zeta but now an aged teacher in Soul Eater: Troubled Souls. A lot must have happened.
- Only Friend: Noel has very few friends in the world, and he usually deems those who reached out to him during his Bloody Shield days as such true friends. They are Amagai, Rukia, Rosalind, and Clorinda Olmett. Rosalind ascends to his spouse. The poor guy is crushed when he sees Amagai and Rukia dead in the Vladingham Massacres aftermath, and he thankfully dont see his reaction to Rosalinds untimely demise. One of his goals is to bring their killers to justice. This means Clorinda is truly his Only Friend, but the character has yet to make a physical appearance.
- Only Sane Employee: Shares this role with Azusa.
- Our Demons Are Different: See Red Baron. Demonism is also his Enchanted Eyes theme.
- Papa Wolf: Cares deeply about his children, and will defend them violently if need be.
- Peek-a-Bangs: They cover the eye that demonstrates the Enchanted Eye, but its not always activated. This trope doesnt exist in Soul Eater Zeta.
- Perpetual Frowner: Good luck seeing genuine smiles out of this man. Heck, good luck seeing him grin or smirk!
- House Husband: A flashback indicates his wife, Rosalind, is the one who went out working while he stayed at home to tend to the children and keep the house in order. He also cooks and cleans. Even now as a single parent, he still does both.
- Red Baron: "The Bloody Shield" and the "Demon of the DWMA"
- Retired Monster: His Bloody Shield days are obviously over.
- The Stoic: Hes pretty much the good version of Cancer in this regard.
- Screw the Rules, I Make Them!:
- He supervised the Joint Resonance training and explicitly said to hold back and evaluate the students. He decided that Black☆Star and Kid deserved to fight him with his Enchanted Eye activated.
- Earlier than that, Crona decided to use some of the Black Blood against Maka in their quick spar in the classroom. Special techniques werent allowed. Noel let this one slide, too, because he had never seen this before.
- Stern Teacher: Hes going to make sure you learn your lesson (a figurative or literal one) no matter what.
- Super Strength: His modus operandi.
- Unskilled, but Strong: He's such a powerful opponent because of his massive strength, Enchanted Eye and experience. However, he's untrained and unrefined. He gets injured a lot because he has to tank certain attacks because his options are so limited. Heck, the reason he got so strong is because Noel got into many fights and was exposed to an array of different fighters.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Apparently soul wavelength attacks, such as Soul Force, disrupt his Enchanted Eye and Demonic Wavelength.
- Adult Fear: After Marlon is captured, especially in Act 2, he starts worrying about who would have wanted Angela's soul and why.
- Friend to All Children: Besides his status as Angela's guardian, apparently he runs a daycare.
- Hopeless with Tech: Type 2. His skills are children and swords, not high-tech devices. However, hes not that bad because he managed to fix a glitching timer in due time.
- Master Swordsman
- Spared by the Adaptation: Story details tell you that Mifune and Black☆Star had their epic manga fight, but he survives the end like in the anime.
- Stern Teacher: As the Swordsmanship Club Head, he warns his prospects that following the path of the sword is a tough challenge.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep" / His Name Really Is "Barkeep": Chapter 21 reveals that his first name is supposedly Yojimbo. A yojimbo is a Japanese word for bouncer or bodyguard. Thats essentially what Mifunes job has been most of his life. Its unknown if the author chose that to be his actual name or not.
- Tell me something. Do you have any regrets? Insecurities? Anything like that? [...] No matter who you are, youre going to fail at something sooner or later, badly or otherwise. Its what you do afterwards that defines you. [...] How do you plan on dealing with adversity? Are you going to let it ruin your life, make you despair, or are you going to fight and keep hope in your heart?
A middle-aged woman (37, to be exact) who acts as another librarian to the Academys Library. She also runs the Book Club and coaches Tennis. She is retired from active duty in the DWMA but became a Three-Star Meister during her tenure. According to herself, she has gone through many twists and turns during her service time. Despite her mannerisms and temperament, Kathi is probably one of the wisest individuals in the setting, not unlike Noel.
- Adjusting Your Glasses: A unique case in that she regulates them by using the knuckle of her forefinger.
- Adorkable: The slightest of provocation tends to invoke a rather interesting or humorous reaction out of her.
- Almighty Janitor: Shes a very capable fighter on her own, but she is retired from active duty, instead working as one of the schools librarians. While some faculty and students like Maka are aware that shes a Three-Star Meister, most probably arent.
- Badass Bookworm: What did you expect? Shes a librarian and the Book Club head. Its made clear that if Kathi wasnt told to hold back, or if she just didnt stop when Donum Dei was activated, she could have beaten Maka and Caius at the same time. She didnt use a Demon Weapon, by the way.
- Big "WHAT?!": She does this two times in the same scene. The first was when Noel said he needed her for the field exam. The second was when he said shell need her again when he teaches the Correctional Class Joint Resonance. She was shushed by all library-goers both times.
- Christmas Cake: Her students call her Ms. Rumeri which means shes either unmarried or divorced. With no signs of a child at age 37, it appears shes this.
- Excuse Me While I Multitask: She gives Maka and Caius a meaningful lecture and asks heavy questions while casually dodging and blocking their attacks.
- Hair Decoration: A blue, Lord Death-style hairclip. According to her, It Was a Gift from Lord Death when she announced her retirement two years ago. Probably as thanks for her service.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: She laments her inability to do anything despite being a Retired Badass. She tends to downplay her power and status despite being deceptively capable. She chooses not to do much else after Maka and Caius begin Donum Dei, believing her moment has expired and that shes done what she needed to.
- Hopeless with Tech: Type 2. Shes less tech-savvy than Mifune, who is also a Type 2 example.
- Meganekko: Fits her job as a librarian.
- Prim and Proper Bun: Helps with the librarian image.
- Retired Badass: Kathi has been in retirement for two years. However, shes a Three-Star Meister and showed she earned that accolade in the field exam.
- Sensei-chan: Not as much as Marie, but its there.
- Silk Hiding Steel: The silk? Kathi is quite nice and friendly. The steel? You did read Retired Badass, right?
- Stealth Mentor: Kathi kicks Makas and Caiuss asses with no effort even when they thought she was just an unassuming, retired librarian. During it, she gives advice and asks questions based on her own personal experiences to get them thinking and ready for the future. All that said, she isnt antagonistic and wasnt presented as such, just an obstacle for the field exam.
- Underestimating Badassery: Maka and Caius definitely didnt think Kathi could take them both on.
- Younger Than They Look: If Souls Jaw Drop is any indication, Kathi doesnt look 37-years-old.