Lightning Dust has a fairly large cast, and it's growing quickly! This page has untagged spoilers, so it's highly advisable that you read the pilot story first!
Klaus Melfton (aka Lightning Dust)
- Berserk Button: LD, while he has a few minor buttons, the biggest one is killing or nearly killing one of his friends or family.
- Distressed Dude: Klaus in the third chapter of the prologue, and apparently multiple times previously.
- Eye Colour Change: When Klaus becomes LD, his eyes turn bright yellow due to the power leaking through them.
- Freak Lab Accident: Klaus first becomes Lightning Dust by falling into a machine and has his entire body fried.
- Heart Trauma: After the accident, Klaus' heart problems stopped, and as a result, he feels invincible and cocky.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Played with. Klaus is one, but he doesn't apply to the usual rich kid tropes.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: His Thunder Roar, though most of it includes shocks of electricity, could count as this.
- Missing Mom: Klaus' mother is dead.
- Motor Mouth: Lightning is one in his superhero mode, especially when panicking.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: Lightning Dust's hair is electric yellow due to the electricity coursing through it and heating every strand to yellow-hot (similar to the filament in a light bulb-and that's around 2426 degrees Celsius, or 4400 degrees Fahrenheit), effectively turning it into Elemental Hair.
- Power Incontinence: Immediately after gaining his powers, he literally bolts out of the lab, into a light bulb (popping it), and then straight into a cloud. With a little experimentation, and some help from Andy and Kailey, he gets over it fairly quickly.
- Pungeon Master: Klaus, after getting his powers, becomes a minor one.
- Ride the Lightning: Lightning's first power. With it, he could hide in a light bulb, although the bulb itself quickly shatters under the current.
- Secret Keeper: to Daniel about his identity as Crystal Eye. CE knows that Lightning knows his true identity, yet doesn't know who Lightning really is.
- Shock and Awe: Lightning is effectively electricity or lightning given human form
- Slasher Smile: - here.
- Spoiled Sweet: Klaus may be rich, but overall, he's a nice kid!
Daniel Carsley (aka Crystal Eye)
- Berserk Button: Killing an innocent WILL piss him off, possibly into Beware the Superman territory.
- Eye Colour Change: When Daniel is Crystal Eye, his sclera (the white of his eyes) turn a very light blue, possibly explaining his hero name.
- Flying Brick: Has the standard power set of most Flying Bricks.
- Super Strength
- Eye Beams: Heat and laser
- Super Speed: "he could probably run/fly a bit faster than a vehicle could go, but that's pretty much the extent of it"
- Barrier Warrior: Can project a protective shield around himself.
- Hand Blast
- Gemstone Assault
- Super Toughness
- Super Senses: enhanced hearing, partially enhanced sight (Can see well in darkly lit areas and such)
- Really 300 Years Old: Daniel was actually born during the Salem Witch Trials, according to his origin story, making him around 300 or so years old.
- Hero-Worshipper: Crystal Eye gets this treatment from the majority of Dellville, much to Klaus' irritation. In fact, in chapter three of the prologue, the townsfolk actually mutter about how Klaus is disrespectful toward Crystal Eye, adding to Klaus' displeasure with the hero.
- Ninja: Crystal Eye's outfit resembles a stereotypical ninja's outfit
- Not a Game: Crystal Eye tries to give this line to Lightning during their first intentional confrontation. Lightning's response?
- Blow You Away: Tornadoes have some minor wind powers
- Meaningful Name: "Tornadoes" get their name from how their lower bodies are composed of swirling mist.
- Blood Knight: While not knights, Blood Scouts love to fight and battle
Dr. Josh Sharman
- Big Bad: Josh serves as this for the pilot story.
- The Dragon: In the final chapter of the pilot, it's revealed he was actually this unknowingly.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunet: Is slightly creepy around the lab.
- Faked Kidnapping: Has himself kidnapped by a pack of Blood Scouts in order to trick LD.
- Mad Scientist: Of the Frankenstein variety, he created the Tornadoes and Blood Scouts.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate
- Power Parasite: Drained LD of his powers before going...
- ...One-Winged Angel on the town in a demonic form.
- Start of Darkness: Josh turned to evil because his ideas were constantly pushed aside. One such incident took place while his co-worker, James, was on paternity leave. His boss gave Josh orders to wait. When Josh complained that James would be with his pregnant wife for three months, his boss replied that that that would be how long Josh would need to wait, possibly longer if James had another idea
- Walking Spoiler: Almost every trope that concerns Josh is a spoiler for what he really is.
- Spiders Are Scary: Inverted. Josh actually loves spiders, to the point where the author' gave Josh's Ponysona a spider for a Cutie Mark.
Group of aliensA strange group of beings who appear briefly at the end of the pilot.
Dr. James Melfton
- Adult Fear: James does honsestly care about Klaus, and understandably flips out whenever he is captured.
- Badass Bookworm: He's more than capable of protecting himself and others, if necessary; he's actually a very good fighter, believe it or not.
- Berserk Button: Hurt Klaus in his presence, and you will die. Klaus knows about this button and uses it as a threat in chapter one of the prologue.
- Bi the Way: "Simply put, James is bi." - Author
- Brainy Brunet: Slightly obvious.
- Disappeared Dad: James is slightly neglectful due to his work. As a result, Klaus is left with caretakers.
- Papa Wolf: His Berserk Button doubles as this.
- The Smart Guy: safe to say that Klaus can go to him to ask about certain monsters/baddies in town and would probably go to him for inventions to help him while fighting if James knew about LD
Andrew 'Andy' Kellson
- Childhood Friends: Andy and Kailey have known each other much longer than they've been friends with Klaus.
- Dodgeball Is Hell: Causes this to his opponents in gym class.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Andy regulates his breathing in order to keep his temper under control.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Kailey's Blue.
- Secret Keeper: To Klaus' identity as Lightning Dust. It's later revealed that he and Kailey were this for Crystal Eye, only revealing it after the Wham Episode
- Straight Gay: There's almost nothing in the prologue that explicitly states that Andrew is gay. In fact, the ONLY evidence that he is is through Word of God.
- They Died Because of You: Andy blamed LD for Arnold's death because he hadn't been patrolling like he should've.
- Childhood Friends: See entry under Andy.
- Gratuitous Italian: She speaks Italian with her mother...
- Gratuitous Spanish: ... and Spanish with her father.
- Peek-a-Bangs - shy variation
- Only Sane Woman: As mentioned earlier, she's probably the sanest characters in the story.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Andy's Red.
- Secret Keeper: Again, see entry under Andy.
- Skunk Stripe: Has a died blue stripe of hair.
Dr. Arnold Arcson
- Cool Uncle: To Andy. He is the sort of uncle that would always get cool stuff for his nephew, and he was the one Andy would go to if there was something he really needed comforting about or if he really needed to let off some steam.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Purple Eyes: Averted. While Arnold HAS purple eyes, they are not mentioned in-story and only appear in his character portrait (right)
- Seeking the Missing, Finding the Dead: When Arnold went missing, they found him dead
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness:Josh had Arnold killed because he had refused to join him, so he wasn't of any use to him anymore and Josh didn't want to risk him warning LD
- Secret Keeper: To Klaus' identity as Lightning Dust
- Something Only They Would Say: Invokes this when Lightning comes home and needs to convince his caretakers of who he is.
Edwin: Yep; it's him.
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- Parental Substitute: For Klaus' Mom
- Secret Keeper: To Klaus' identity as Lightning Dust
- Team Mom
- Alpha Bitch: Leader of "The Clique", which consists of the school's popular kids.
- Green-Eyed Monster: She was envious of Klaus' friends, and actually HAS green eyes.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Woman Scorned: When Klaus turned down membership into the Clique, she became determined to make his life miserable.