(her biological mother, Keiko, abandoned her after giving birth). Misako told her that she was adopted when she was only 5 years old, but couldn't speak about it properly until she became famous and until she "grew up". Sana lives at the Kurata household with her mom, Rei Sagami (her manager), Shimura-san (their maid), and their many dogs. In Deep Clear, a special crossover made for Miho Obana's 20th anniversary as a mangaka, Sana (now 26 years old) is still working as an actress. She is also married to Akito and is currently pregnant, but due to certain circumstances, her pregnancy was becoming troublesome for her marriage until Shuri Otokawa (an esper and detective, and the main character of Obana's Honey Bitter) is hired to help her.
- Attention Whore: Totally innocent, but she definitely likes being in the spotlight. She's an actress, after all.
- Betty and Veronica:
- The Archie to Naozumi's Betty and Akito's Veronica.
- The Betty to Fuka's Veronica for Akito's Archie.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Akito.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: She's always the Straight Man of sorts to any stupidity that comes around, her Weapon of Choice is her rubber hammer.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Just as kooky as she is talented. There's a reason why she's so famous and popular, despite her young age.
- Cloudcuckoolander: She is a little odd and everyone knows it.
- The Ditz: On occasion, she can be extremely clueless.
- Dude Magnet: She has so many suitors wishing to have her heart.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Justified, as she is a popular child star.
- Everybody Hates Mathematics: She is not very good at math.
- Everyone Can See It: With Akito.
- Fiery Redhead: Red hair, fiery temper, and extremely outgoing, enthusiastic, and passionate.
- Genki Girl: She is super energetic and bubbly.
- Girlish Pigtails: She rids off them as soon as she start maturing. In the anime, however...
- Gratuitous English: She uses it quite a lot.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: She can be fiery.
- Happily Adopted: Her adoptive mother Misako told Sana about her adoption when she was 5.
- The Heart: She manages to inspire and help anyone in need.
- Human Hummingbird: ALL THE TIME.
- Idiot Hero: Rare female example. Sana is not exactly stupid but she does almost everything thoughtlessly and on impulse.
- Idol Singer: Anime exclusive, though, she becomes this alongside other two girls, once Zenjiro's show is cancelled.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Rei. She was nine years old when she found a homeless Rei, who was a dropped-out College student at the time.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Sana is the one who encouraged Rei to reunite with his old girlfriend, Asako.
- Large Ham: Indeed. Justified because of her job.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: She has a habit of forgetting unpleasant memories (and the people it involves) when she suffers from Heroic B.S.O.D..
- Malaproper: Sana has a tendence to massacre proverbs.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: She makes Akito's life so much better and helps him be a more considerate person.
- Meaningful Name: She is named after her birthday, March (San) 7 (Na).
- Mood-Swinger: So much. She can go from excited to calm and serious to angry to excited again in a matter of seconds.
- Morality Chain: To Akito. Thanks to Sana, Akito shows more kindness.
- Motor Mouth: Big Time. Sana's fast speech can only be compared to Excel, where the subtitles can come in paragraphs in a short amount of time.
- Nice Girl: Despite being slightly crazy, she's a goodhearted person who really means well and wants to help everyone.
- Oblivious to Love: Played with — Sana's oblivious to love, but not to its effects. She can't stop thinking about Akito (that also includes not realizing that he was in love with her even after three different timed kisses) and she gets jealous and brokenhearted when he starts dating Fuuka. She simply cannot explain why she feels like that at those moments. And when Sana finally realizes she's in love with Akito, it's kind of a big deal.
- Odd Friendship: With Akito.
- Plucky Girl: In spades.
- Precocious Crush: Even though Rei being her "boyfriend" was only part of a game that went out of control in public, she believes that maybe he is her first love crush, since she didn't see him as a toy.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With both Akito and Naozumi.
- Selective Obliviousness: Sana becomes very brokenhearted when she hears that Akito is dating someone else. When someone explains the obvious, she tries to rationalize it away one last time.
- She Really Can Act: In-universe: people knew that she could act, but only Rei and Misako knew how well. Poor Naozumi is charmed to the point he can't speak when, during the shooting of their movie, he sees her in action...
- Tsundere: Type B.
workaholic. As a result, he eventually developed a bad and rebellious behavior around his classmates and also showed a severe disrespect on his teachers. It's thanks to Sana that he started to open his heart and also helped to fix his family ties. In Deep Clear, Akito (now a 26-year-old adult) is married to Sana and practices alternative medicine in a local hospital. He is initially suspected of a love affair that is keeping him away from Sana, but actually he is very scared about her pregnancy. He is very afraid to lose her the same way his mother died. They eventually reconcile once their baby is born and after she is safe and healthy.
- Affectionate Nickname: Fuuka nicknamed him "Akki" when they were in kindergarten. She often calls him as such when they start dating.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Sana.
- Betty and Veronica:
- The Veronica to Naozumi's Betty for Sana's Archie.
- The Archie to Sana's Betty and Fuka's Veronica.
- Berserk Button:
- Akito cannot stand being called a "demon", mostly because that's the way Natsumi referred to him after their mom died.
- Do not insult his friends, especially if you're calling them a Momma's Boy.
- Bishōnen: Once he gets into middle school, he starts getting fangirls, even though his personality is a whole different story. As a grown up and certified doctor, he gets the attention of many of the women working with him... no wonder it was assumed inittially that he had a love affair.
- Brutal Honesty: Obviously Sana is often annoyed with this.
- Chick Magnet: Between Sana and Fuuka, it's implied he'd be literally surrounded by fangirls if his personality wasn't such a turn-off.
- The Comically Serious: He can be funny in a dry way.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: When Sana is with someone else.
- Deadpan Snarker: A subtle example given his stoic personality, but some of his snide comments fall into this.
- Defrosting Ice King: He softens up once Sana changes his heart.
- Delinquents: He was the leader of a bunch of kids who looked up to him due to his rebellious nature. There wasn't a teacher that would lay their fingers on him, because he had his tactics to blackmail them.
- Freudian Excuse: Koharu, his mom, died when she was giving birth to him. Natsumi resented him ever since, frequently getting angry at Akito and calling him "devil". In addition, Akito had a distant relationship with his father, who works long hours. This is also something that is played in Deep Clear, since he is afraid that Sana would die in a similar manner as his mother, when giving birth to their child.
- Genius Bruiser: He's physically very strong, and a surprisingly good student.
- Hidden Eyes: The only way he expresses sadness.
- Jerkass Façade: He pretends to be indifferent or annoyed but inside he really cares about his friends, his family, and (especially) Sana.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: After all the trouble that Akito goes through his Freudian Excuse, he develops a heart of gold, even if he hasn't changed lots of his character on the outside.
- Missing Mom: His mother died giving birth to him.
- Odd Friendship: With Tsuyoshi and Sana (though the latter was obviously more than a friend to him).
- Parental Neglect: Considering that his father was a widower who had to maintain his children, and that his older sister had to double her role as a mother figure when she got older (not forgetting that she also felt resentful to him), Akito rarely stayed at home and often ate fast-food in the streets.
- Perpetual Frowner: If he smiles or laughs, it's a big deal.
- The Quiet One: In contrast to Sana and his other talkative friends, he's not a person of many words.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Savvy Guy to Sana's Energetic Girl.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Manly Man to Tsuyoshi's Sensitive Guy.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Emphasis on the "ice" part, but he has a warmer side, mainly when he's around Sana.
- The Stoic: He doesn't like to show his emotions and feelings around other people.
- Theme Naming: Each one of the Hayama family is named after the seasons, in this case "Aki" comes from "autumn". This is discussed in-series: Akito's mom chose her children's names precisely for that fact.
- Troubled, but Cute: Very, very popular among fangirls.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With most of his friends (when it comes to Sana, it's usually Belligerent Sexual Tension).
berserk buttons and throws a whole rage tornado until Akito subdues him and makes him calm down.He once stated that he was the "rival" to Akito's love for Sana, but after giving her up, he went to Aya, who had a crush on him. Due to certain circumstances that happened at home, his parents divorce, and he starts to cope with the responsability of being much more than an older brother mentor to his little sister, Aono.
- Adorkable: He means well but is still quite clueless when it comes to girls and romance. Aya likes him anyway, and his kind personality (especially compared to the other guys in his class) is certainly one of the reasons.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: He tends to fall in love with any girl who gives him a gift.
- Berserk Button: If you insult his mother or make him angry for any other sentimental topics of his, beware of his blind rage!
- Beta Couple: With Aya.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Hoo Boy!
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards his little sister. There are moments where he even questions himself if he is doing a good job as a big brother.
- Butt Monkey: Sometimes, given how innocent he is.
- Disappeared Dad: Tsuyoshi's father is estranged from the family, and it's implied that he physically abused Tsuyoshi; might be the case why he reacts so strongly to people insulting his mother.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Initially, towards Sana, especially because he didn't know it was just for a misunderstanding he had from her affections.
- Hot-Blooded: Especially when you press his Berserk Button, despite being usually nice and soft-spoken.
- Momma's Boy: He just really loves his mom as Aya explained in front of their class. But if you tease him about it...
- Nice Guy: Who wouldn't want a friend like him?
- Odd Friendship: With Akito. Their personalities couldn't be more different.
- The Pollyanna: His family situation may be almost as bad as Akito's, but unlike Akito he is usually friendly, up-beat, and optimistic. Except when angry.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Sensitive Guy to Akito's Manly Man.
- Serial Romeo: It becomes a plot point about how he easily falls for different girls, as seen in Because You Were Nice to Me. Early in the series, he's madly in love with Sana but after it's revealed Aya has a crush on him, he suddenly decides he loves her back and they start dating. With him and Aya being Sickeningly Sweethearts, his initial crush on Sana is more or less forgotten.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Aya. They act all lovey-dovey as if they were newlyweds after they start dating.
- Token Good Teammate: Initially, when the other boys in Sana's class were Akito and his Gang of Bullies.
- Unstoppable Rage: When he gets angry. That is until someone (normally Akito) calms him down with a karate chop.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Akito.
- When He Smiles: He's pretty low on the bishonen-ness scale, but his smile is enough to make Sana go "wow" for a moment. They don't even show it directly on the manga - and only for a split-second on the anime.
Voiced by: Akiko Kikuchi (JP), Monica Rial (EN)Aya is one of Sana's closest friends at school. She is a very mild-mannered girl who is quiet and sweet, and with a good deal of common sense. She had a crush on Tsuyoshi whom she later confesses on, under the circumstances (little she knew he was one of those kids that fall in love at first "gift"). They start a relationship later without handling these matters, though.
- Beta Couple: With Tsuyoshi.
- Brainy Brunette: At least once it's mentioned that she gets good grades, something she has in common with her boyfriend, Tsuyoshi.
- Girl Next Door: Not literally, but personality-wise, she is the typical down to earth and nice girl next door.
- Nice Girl: She is a sweet girl and always a supportive friend to Sana.
- Only Sane Woman: Amongst Sana's friends and class mates, she is the most normal. Except when she and Tsuyoshi are being Sickeningly Sweethearts.
- The Quiet One: Compared to Genki Girl Sana, she is very meek and quiet.
- Satellite Character: Mostly to Sana and later Tsuyoshi, after they start dating.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Tsuyoshi. Soon as they start dating, the act like a newlywed lovey-dovey couple.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She likes Tsuyoshi because he dearly loves his mother and sister.
Voiced by: Harumi Ikoma (JP)Fuuka is the first friend Sana meets when she enters middle school. She previously lived in the Tokyo area before moving to Osaka, but then she moved back to start school. Although she shares a bit of the Osaka's stereotypes (the Boke and Tsukkomi Routine and the Kansai Regional Accent), she coupled with the class perfectly. She and Sana became best friends fast because they share some similar traits (physical and emotionally).During the first days of school, she finds out that an old kindergarten classmate of hers was in the same grade and school as her — Akito Hayama, who was her First Kiss (through a shameless bet). As soon as she starts knowing him, she develops an special interest into him... Both of them start dating when Sana was absent filming "Mizu no Yakata", which all started with an innocent Double Date with Fuuka's Old Flame. They later break up because Akito's feelings for Sana never changed, and she was ready to let him go..
- Academic Athlete: She is a good gymnast and a quite good student, too.
- Accent Adaptation: Done quite badly in the Italian dub. In the original she has a Kansai accent, while her Italian voice actress gives her a blatantly fake pseudo-English accent.
- The Ace: Athletic, smart and popular.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: She starts showing some interest in Akito after she starts challenging him over her First Kiss grudge.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Sana's Betty for Akito's Archie.
- Brainy Brunette: Looks very similar to Sana, but her hair is darker (brown instead of red). She's also less dense than Sana.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Akito, who went to kindergarten with her and was her First Kiss. Of course it didn't last.
- Control Freak: In her relationship with Akito.
- Expy: In-universe: when he believed that Sana and Naozumi were together, Akito dated Fuuka because, for a strange coincidence, she resembled Sana in both looks and personality. This is lampshaded by Fuuka herself in the manga when she talks to Sana about how similar both were. And then it's something she highlights to Akito, when she wanted to understand him at the end.
- Genki Girl: To a lesser extent than Sana.
- The Idiot from Osaka: Fuuka lived in Osaka for a while, even the Kansai accent is something she still had. She's not really an idiot, though.
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places: Both Akito and her former boyfriend weren't right for her.
- Romantic False Lead: She gets in the way of the Akito/Sana Will They or Won't They? relationship, becoming Akito's girlfriend for a while.
- Tsundere: Though more subtle about it than Sana.
it's actually the location of also "secret" moles and confesses to Sana that they share a bond and that he likes her. They first met when they were babies at a time they both coincided at Kamura Institution, the orphanage he took his last name from.They both share a bond that initially took off from the moment he started looking up at her, and when he became inspired to follow her same steps into acting. But they weren't meant to be together. Sana, oblivious to his feelings, just sees him as a friend and as a brother of sorts.As an actor, he travels too much, and it's not surprising he left the country to advance in his career... however, as proved in the follow-up to Deep Clear, Misty Blue, Shuri Ohkawa finds that the adult Naozumi is a very interesting person, who is still devoted to Sana after so many years, to the point of not falling in love with another girl again because of her.
- Better as Friends: How Sana feels about him.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Akito's Veronica for Sana's Archie.
- Bishōnen: He is often referred in the series as a "pretty" and a "cute" boy due to his feminine features.
- But Not Too Foreign: His fans think he is a foreign prince, although his biological roots are still a mystery. The anime plays with this as a vital plot-point of the New York arc, since it's discovered that he has a Japanese mother (a failed theater actress), and an American father (a famous Broadway producer).
- Chick Magnet: Naozumi clearly has fangirls around him (even though he only has eyes for Sana), he is an actor who is kind, and looks very cute and pretty.
- Childhood Friend Romance: He grew up in the same orphanage Sana was once in though, as Sana was there for a very brief period of time, they never met in the orphanage. They start dating after the story arc in New York but he breaks up with her a few episodes late, because he realizes that she still has feelings for Hayama.
- Devoted to You: In the special "Misty Blue" one-shot, Shuri (the protagonist of Honey Bitter) finds out that Naozumi is still too devoted to Sana (even after a decade since he confessed his love to her). His relationship with a man is the only way he could feel "happy" in a romantic relationship... because if he fell in love with another girl, he wouldn't stop remembering his feelings towards her.
- Dogged Nice Guy: He shares a bond with Sana, but not as he thought it was. He thinks he is more fit than Akito because they share the same career path and a similar past background; however, Sana only looks at him as a friend or as brother... not as a boyfriend.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Naozumi has very feminine features that makes him look "pretty".
- Innocent Blue Eyes: He has blue eyes that coincide with his naivety, and he often possesses a pure soul that cannot be shattered by any of his "evil" intentions. However, as Shuri points it out in "Misty Blue", his eyes are also "painfully beautiful", and that there is a darkness that lay from time to time on his aura.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Naozumi eventually gives up his love pursuing for Sana, only to see her happy with the boy she truly loves.
- Nice Guy: He really cares about Sana. Quite a lot, actually.
- Parental Abandonment: He was abandoned at Kamura Institution when he was just a baby, but when he grows up, he doesn't show any interest in looking for his biological parents. And in the anime, he finds them out by accident in the New York arc; his real mother abandoned him to give priority to her acting career in the U.S., and because he was her love child with Gary Hamilton, a famous Broadway producer.
- Romantic False Lead: While Sana and Akito were always meant to be the Official Couple, he was clearly the most prominent out of Sana's other admirers and, at least for a while, an obstacle to Sana's Relationship Upgrade with Akito. It doesn't help that he and Sana often end up playing on-screen couples due to their job.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Savvy Guy to Sana's Energetic Girl.
- Spear Counterpart: To Sana. He's a popular male child actor and was raised in the same orphanage like Sana.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He has purple hair and is the only one of the major characters with an unnatural hair color.
Voiced by: Sakurako Kishiro (OVA), Hana Kino (JP), Colleen Clinkenbeard (EN)She's Sana's adoptive mother. Misako is a famous writer whose life took an interesting turn when she was in her late teens and earlier 20s, and she writes novels and essays based on those facts. Her most famous fiction novel is "The Pimp and I", which was based on her life with her gambler ex-husband.She always wants to enjoy her life to the maximum (given her weird antics), after receiving the news that she couldn't conceive (it's also one of the reasons she got divorced from her leech ex-husband, too). One day, after taking a walk in a park, she finds a newborn baby in a bench, who she would later adopt and name her "Sana".Maro-chan, her squirrel, lives in her hair. She also enjoys to make her editor miserable, since she doesn't like to obey due dates for her writings.
- Brainy Brunette: Has brown hair and is an award winning writer.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Similar to Sana, except that her talent is writing instead of acting.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Even more than Sana!
- Drives Like Crazy: Misako drives a toycar inside their house, even without thinking in running over someone who crosses her path.
- Good Parents: She loves Sana and can also give her surprisingly good advice.
- Head Pet: Maro-chan, the squirrel who lives on her head.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: She's absolutely bonkers, but she's also probably both the wisest and the savviest character on the series.
- Troll: She really likes to mess with her editor.
- Womanchild: Her weird antics, and the reason she often acts as a laid-back parent, is because soon as she realized she couldn't conceive, she decided to live her life to the maximum.
meets the eye. Years ago, just after a series of twists (being dumped by his girlfriend, getting dropped out of college, his parents dying in an accident and basically leaving him without a penny), he hits bottom and becomes a homeless person.While begging on the streets, Misako Kurata and her daughter passed on, which brought Sana's attention. And one day, she brings him out to their house as if he was an abandoned puppy. Misako decides to keep him around, getting his first established home in a while, and has lived in there since then, working as Sana's manager. At the start, Sana looked at him as if he was her boyfriend (more exactly, a "pimp", after reading her mother's novel), but after being called out by Akito, Rei knew he couldn't keep the charade for a long time, either. Sana gets devastated... especially when Rei's ex-girlfriend appears in their lives and suddenly he realizes that his feelings for her haven't dissapeared either.Even after the "heartbreak", Sana considers him as her first love crush, and they remain as friends.
- Bishōnen: One of the reasons Sana "adopted" him was because he was a cute and good-looking guy. She even wanted to hide his smile and beautiful eyes... hence why he started using sunglasses.
- Butt Monkey: Especially, upped to the max in the anime. For example, when Sana gets her First Kiss with Akito, Rei gets trapped in the middle of a traffic accident which was probably the result of her afterwards reaction.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: When it comes to Asako, he gets insanely jealous, but he is afraid to face the situation publicly since they are dating in secret.
- Devoted to You: Rei mentioned initially that Asako was the reason his life went down, and that she was a "bad woman" in his life. However, even some time after they first broke up, he couldn't get her out of his mind, and he even became a fan of her from the very start of her career. They later reconcile.
- Drives Like Crazy: This is only applied to the anime series. It's the consequence after Sana provokes him to drive faster because his normal driving pace is very slow.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Sana, who is ten years younger than him.
- I Owe You My Life: After the bad luck storm that Rei had after the breakup with Asako, Sana appeared in his life. She saved him from being a hobo, and wanted to work for her own sake.
- Large Ham: Mostly in the anime series.
- Nice Guy: Behind those sunglasses, there's a really kind heart.
- Papa Wolf: He is the first to act when there is something wrong around Sana, always coming to defend her when the moment needs it.
- Parental Abandonment: Rei's parents died in an accident not so much long after he broke up with Asako. He thought they were rich... but they also had lots of money debts, resulting him to go homeless for a while.
- Parental Substitute: After Sana stopped seeing Rei as her boyfriend, he starts acting like a dad for her. To the extreme of being very overprotective to her.
- Sunglasses at Night: Rei uses sunglasses wherever he goes to show his devotion to Sana and because she thinks he looks cool with them.
- Undying Loyalty: To Sana and her family. It's necessary to mention that in Deep Clear, ten-odd years after the original manga's ending, he is still working as her manager.
Voiced by: Tomoko Hikita (JP), Chris Cason (EN)A rare creature mixed from a rabbit and a bat (hence their name, "Babbit"), Babbit serves as both the narrator and Straight Man of the anime series. He also has an entire family and friends who appear in later episodes of the anime.
- Canon Foreigner: Exists only in the anime.
- Continuity Cameo: Even though he doesn't exist in the manga continuity, Miho Obana has drawn him a few couple of times as cameo, more prominently in the last color cover of the series.
- Deadpan Snarker: He would't be the same narrator without his sarcastic one liners.
- Greek Chorus: He provides commentary on some of the events of the episode.
- Plucky Comic Relief: He's not really relevant to the story but he provides comic relief with his hilarious snarking.
- Talking Animal: A cross between a rabbit and a bat who serves as the narrator.
- Big Sister Bully: Initially to Akito since she blames him for their mother's death, and she spends all the time insulting her brother, yelling at him, and being downright nasty and rude towards him. She gets better.
- Broken Bird: She treated Akito like crap because of the deep emotional scars left by Koharu's death.
- Cool Big Sis: After the Hayama family's problems are partially resolved by Sana and they start to emotionally heal.
- Freudian Excuse: When her mother died giving birth to Akito made her very resentful to her brother, calling him a "demon".
- Heel–Face Turn: After watching Sana's movie that resembled her life, Natsumi realizes her wrongdoings and redeems herself.
- Maternal Death? Blame the Child: The reason why she treats Akito like crap, it wasn't until the mentioned Heel–Face Turn above when the two finally reconciled.
- Missing Mom: Unlike Akito, she actually met and remembers her mother.
- Theme Naming: As with the rest of the Hayama family, seasons. "Natsu" comes from "summer".
Voiced by: Masayuki Omoro (OVA), Takashi Matsuyama (JP), Randy Tallman (EN)Akito's workaholic dad, who initially guards some distance with his kids. Not long after Sana opens his eyes, he realizes he need to spend some quality time with his children, to fix everything that was broken ever since Koharu's death.
- Affectionate Nickname: In Japanese, Sana affectionately calls him "Hayama-chichi" ("Daddy Hayama"), instead of using honorifics.
- Bumbling Dad: A rare dramatic example. Akito's issues steam from Fuyuki's inability to raise him as a single parent without blaming him for the death of his wife Koharu.
- Cloudcuckoolander: In the anime... hoo boy.
- The Comically Serious: He has a dry humor similar to Akito's.
- Doting Parent: Once the family issues subside, it's evident that he's immensely proud of his children and even tries to pamper them a bit (One of the few things Akito likes is sushi, so Fuyuki brings takeaway every now and then)
- Dull Surprise: Dull everything more like.
- Good Parents: When he finally realizes what his home situation is really like, he becomes one. In one episode where Akito is framed for shoplifting, his father gives a long speech about how he expects Akito to come forward with the truth on the situation. All Akito says is he didn't do it, and his father adamantly believes him just because he has that much faith in Akito.
- Japanese Delinquents: He, when he was young, to everyone's surprise.
- Overprotective Dad: After the family issues are solved.
- Papa Wolf: A bit on the "passive" side, but sometimes surfaces.
- Shared Family Quirks: Both he and his son are serious, polite, silent and kind-hearted, but with a violent streak when angry. Of course, the main difference is that Akito is angry all the time, while his father is (almost) never angry.
- Theme Naming: As with the rest of the Hayama family, seasons. "Fuyu" comes from "winter".
Voiced by: Omi Minami (JP), Amber Cotton (EN)
- Death by Childbirth: Vital to the whole plot.
- Japanese Delinquents: She and Fuyuki used to be delinquents in their youth. Even when Natsumi was a baby, she retained some of her old teenage habits, especially in the dialect she used to speak... shredding present-Natsumi's memories of her mom to the ground.
- Missing Mom: She has been absent from her family's life since Akito was born.
- Nice Girl: She was a total sweetie, according to the flashbacks.
- Posthumous Character: We only meet her through flashbacks and memories about her. She later appears as a ghost who interacts with a dying Akito, convincing him he still has lots to keep living for, instead of dying.
- Theme Naming: As with the rest of the Hayama family, seasons. "Haru" comes from "spring".
- Cool Big Sis: How Sana sees her ever since they start filming "Mizu no Yakata" in the mountains.
- Dude Magnet: As expected of a famous actress, she gets the attention of many men... be it her own cast mates (as Kawai, in the film set of "Mizu no Yakata") or other celebrities (as shown in the anime, with Takuya Kimuchi).
- Long Distance Relationship: Her relationship with Rei after they reconcile, since Asako is an actress (who has to move around a lot) and they are supposedly dating "in secret".
- Old Flame: Her breakup with Rei happened not so long after she expressed to him that she wanted to pursue an acting career seriously. Many years after this, and after many things that happened, they reunite to clear up some missunderstandings about their breakup, mostly because they still felt something for each other ever since.