Voiced by: Shizue Oda (JP), Laura Bailey (EN)An exhuberant and cheerful girl who is a child star (or child idol, Chidol, in Japan) and who sees the world in such a positive light withc childish eyes... until the moment she starts to get know of her classmate, Akito Hayama, who she used to hate. At the start of the series she works in a TV Show called 'Kodomo no Omocha' and after a while she starts accepting roles that will increase her career.She is the adoptive daughter of famous writer, Misako Kurata, who found her in a park when she was barely born. Her biological mother, Keiko, abandoned her after giving birth, at only 13 years old. She found out about being adopted when she was just 5 years old, but oculdn't openly speak about it until she had 'grown up'.Sana lives at the Kurata household with her mom, Rei Sagami (her manager), Shimura-san (their maid), and their many dogs. In a special crossover for Miho Obana's 20th anniversary of career, Deep Clear, we find out that Sana, now 26, is still working as an actress. Now as an adult, she is also married to Akito and is pregnant, but due to certain circumstances, her pregnancy was giving trouble to her marriage until Shuri Otokawa (an ESP user and detective, the main character of Obana's last manga, Honey Bitter) is hired as an 'inspiration' for her newest role and tries to help her.
- Attention Whore: Totally innocent, but she definitely likes being in the spotlight. She's an actress, after all.
- Betty and Veronica: The Archie to Naozumi's Betty and Akito's Veronica.
- The Betty to Fuka's Veronica for Akito's Archie.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Akito.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: She's always the Straight Man of sorts to any stupidity that comes around, her Weapon of Choice is her rubber hammer.
- Cloudcuckoolander: She is a little odd and everyone knows it.
- Determinator/Plucky Girl: In spades.
- The Ditz: On occasion, she can be extremely clueless.
- Dude Magnet: She has so many suitors wishing to have her heart.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Justified, as she is a popular child star.
- Everybody Hates Mathematics: She is not very good at math.
- Everyone Can See It: With Akito.
- Fiery Redhead: Red hair, fiery temper, and extremely outgoing, enthusiastic, and passionate.
- Genki Girl: She is super energetic and bubbly.
- Girlish Pigtails: She rids off them as soon as she start maturing. In the anime, however...
- Gratuitous English: She uses it quite a lot.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: She can be fiery.
- Happily Adopted: Her adoptive mother Misako told Sana about her adoption when she was 5.
- The Heart: She manages to inspire and help anyone in need.
- Human Hummingbird: ALL THE TIME.
- Idiot Hero: Rare female example.
- Idol Singer: Anime exclusive, though, she becomes this alongside other two girls, once Zenjiro's show is cancelled.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Rei. She was 6 or 7 years old when she found a homeless Rei, who was a College student when drop out.
- Large Ham: Indeed.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: She has a habit of forgetting unpleasant memories (and the people it involves) when she suffers from Heroic BSOD.
- Malaproper: Sana has a tendence to massacre proverbs.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: She makes Akito's life so much better and helps him be a more considerate person.
- Meaningful Name: She is named after her birthday, March (San) 7 (Na).
- Mood-Swinger: So much.
- Morality Chain: To Akito. Thanks to Sana, Akito shows more kindness.
- Motor Mouth: Big Time.
- Nice Girl: Despite being slightly crazy, she's a goodhearted person who really means well.
- Oblivious to Love: After Akito kissed her three times, she still fails to realize his love for her.
- This trope is actually played with - Sana's oblivious to love, but not to its effects. She can't stop thinking about Hayama and, as explained below, gets jealous and brokenhearted when Akito starts dating Fuuka. She simply cannot explain why she feels like that. And when Sana finally realizes she's in love with Akito it's kind of a big deal.
- Even more... even if she thought that Rei was her 'boyfriend' for quite the time, she thinks that maybe what she felt for him was actually a love crush, and not thought of him as a 'toy'.
- Odd Friendship: With Akito.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With both Akito and Naozumi.
- Selective Obliviousness: Sana becomes very brokenhearted when she hears that Akito is dating someone else. When someone explains the obvious, she tries to rationalize it away one last time.
- She Really Can Act: In-universe: people knew that she could act, but only Rei and Misako knew how well. Poor Naozumi is charmed to the point he can't speak when, during the shooting of their movie, he sees her in action...
- Tsundere: Type B.
Voiced by: Tatsuya Nakazaki (JP), Jerry Jewell (EN)A (former) troublemaker that caused chaos during 6th grade in Sana's group. Quite the stoic in physical, he is also very strong. After Sana started to call him out of all of his 'evil' doing at school, and after an intent of blackmail, she becomes his 'interest' and love obsession.His family is also a little complicated. When Akito was born, his mother Koharu died for childbirth resulting that his older sister (Natsumi) had this resent feeling towards him. Additionally, he didn't have the best relationship with his father Fuyuki, due to him always working. As a result, he eventually developed a bad behavior around his classmates and disrespect on adults and his teachers. But, even with that, he is a good student with good grades. It's thanks to Sana that he started to open his heart and his family ties started to get mended. Although the first... only a little, when a hard road eventually develops for both of them. In Deep Clear, a 26 year old Akito is married to Sana, and practices relaxative medicine in a local hospital. Suspected of having an affair that keeps him away from Sana, in reality is that he has been having trouble with her having their child, because he fears that she would die of childbirth as his own mother did. They eventually reconcile once their child is born.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Sana.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Naozumi's Betty for Sana's Archie.
- The Archie to Sana's Betty and Fuka's Veronica.
- Berserk Button: Akito CANNOT stand being called a demon. His sister used to call him this way since their mom died.
- Also, do NOT insult his friends, especially if you're calling them a Momma's Boy.
- Brutal Honesty: Obviously Sana is often annoyed with this.
- Chick Magnet: Between Sana and Fuka, it's implied he'd be literally surrounded by fangirls if his personality wasn't such a turn-off.
- The Comically Serious: He can be funny in a dry way.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: When Sana is with someone else.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Defrosting Ice King: He softens up.
- Delinquents: Initially.
- Freudian Excuse: Koharu died when giving birth to him, which leads to his older sister Natsumi resenting him, frequently becoming angry with Akito and calling him "devil boy." In addition, Akito has a distant relationship with his father Fuyuki, who works long hours.
- This is something that is also played with in Deep Clear, when married to Sana and she is pregnant, he doesn't want to lose her because what happened to his mother.
- Genius Bruiser: He's physically very strong, and surprisingly gets good grades.
- Hidden Eyes: The only way he expresses sadness.
- Jerkass Façade: He pretends to be indifferent or annoyed but inside he really cares about his friends, family and Sana.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: After all the trouble that Akito goes through his Freudian Excuse, he develops a heart of gold, even if he hasn’t changed lots of his character on the outside.
- Missing Mom: His mother died giving birth to him.
- Odd Friendship: With Tsuyoshi and Sana.
- Parental Neglect: See Freudian Excuse.
- Perpetual Frowner: If he smiles or laughs, it's a big deal.
- The Quiet One
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Savvy Guy to Sana's Energetic Girl.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Manly Man to Tsuyoshi's Sensitive Guy.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Emphasis on the "ice" part, but he has a warmer side, mainly when he's around Sana.
- The Stoic
- Theme Naming: As with the rest of the Hayama family, seasons. Aki: Autumn. This is discussed in-series: Hayama's mom chose her children's names precisely for that fact.
- Troubled, but Cute: Very, very popular among fangirls.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Tsuyoshi and Sana.
Voiced by: Mayumi Misawa (JP), Greg Ayres (EN)Tsuyoshi is Akito's best friend. He is this soft-spoken and quite smart child, and though he has this gentle personality, you must know to do NOT make him angry! He has several berserk buttons and throws a whole rage tornado until Akito subdue him and make him calm down.It was clearly stated that he was the 'rival' to Akito's love for Sana, but after eventually giving her up, he went to Aya, who had a crush on him. Due to certain conditions happening at his house, his parents divorce, and then he starts to cope with the responsability of being much more than an older brother mentor to his little sister, Aono.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: He tends to fall in love with any girl who gives him a gift.
- Berserk Button: If you insult his mother Or just, make him angry for other sentimental topics of his.
- Beta Couple: With Aya.
- Beware the Nice Ones: ''Hoo Boy!:
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards his little sister.
- Butt Monkey: Sometimes, given how innocent he is.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Initially, towards Sana.
- Momma's Boy: He just really loves his mom as Aya explained. But if you tease him about it....
- Nice Guy: Who wouldn't want a friend like him?
- Odd Friendship: With Akito.
- The Pollyanna: He is usually up-beat and optimistic. Except when angry.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Sensitive Guy to Akito's Manly Man.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Aya.
- Token Good Teammate: Initially, when the other boys in Sana's class were Akito and his Gang of Bullies.
- Unstoppable Rage: When he gets angry.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Akito.
- When He Smiles: He's pretty low on the bishonen-ness scale, but his smile is enough to make Sana go "wow" for a moment. They don't even show it directly on the manga - and only for a split-second on the anime.
Voiced by: Akiko Kikuchi (JP), Monica Rial (EN)Aya is one of Sana's close friends at school. She is a very mild-mannered girl who is also quiet and sweet, with a good deal of common sense. She had a crush on Tsuyoshi whom she later confesses on, under the circumstances (little she knew he was quite the one to love at first 'gift'). They start a relationship later without handling these matters, though.
- Beta Couple: With Tsuyoshi.
- Brainy Brunette
- Girl Next Door
- Nice Girl
- Only Sane Woman: Amongst Sana's friends and class mates.
- The Quiet One
- Satellite Character: Mostly to Sana and later Tsuyoshi, after they start dating.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Tsuyoshi.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She likes Tsuyoshi because he dearly loves his mother and sister.
Voiced by: Harumi Ikoma (JP)Fuuka moves back to Tokyo from Osaka, when Sana and Hayama start junior high school. Although quite handling a bit of the obvious Osaka stereotypes (mostly the whole boke and tsukkomi routine and a little of the Kansai regional accent) she coupled with the class perfectly. She and Sana became best friends fast because both of them share similar looks and also, personality.But also, it is not Sana the only one she finds out, but actual ex-classmate of hers in kindergarden, Akito Hayama, who happens to be her first kiss... through a bet that she doesn't know it existed at the first place who as Sana, she hated him at first but actuall when starting to know him better, feelings for him also change.Both of them start dating when Sana was absent filming Mizu no Yakata, due first for 'help', and later because missunderstandings that happened in between because fo the movie filming and Akito's feelings towards Sana, but not so much after they break up until Fuuka understood his feelings towards Sana.
- Academic Athlete: She is a good gymnast and a quite good student, too.
- Accent Adaptation: Done quite badly in the Italian dub. In the original she has a Kansai accent, while her Italian voice actress gives her a blatantly fake pseudo-English accent that makes her sound very annoying.
- The Ace: Athletic, smart and popular.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Sana's Betty for Akito's Archie.
- Brainy Brunette: Looks very similar to Sana, but her hair is darker (brown instead of red). She's also less dense than Sana.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Akito, who went to kindergarten with her and was her First Kiss. Of course it didn't last.
- Control Freak: In her relationship with Akito.
- Expy: In-universe: when he believed that Sana and Naozumi were together, Akito dated Fuuka because, for a strange coincidence, she resembled Sana in both looks and personality. This is lampshaded by Fuuka herself in the manga when she talks to Sana about how similar both were. And then it's something she highlights to Akito, when she wanted to understand him at the end.
- Genki Girl: To a lesser extent than Sana.
- The Idiot from Osaka: Fuuka lived in Osaka for a while, even the Kansai accent is something she still had. She's not really an idiot, though.
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places: Both Akito and her former boyfriend weren't right for her.
- Plucky Girl
- Romantic False Lead: She gets in the way of the Akito/Sana Will They or Won't They? relationship, becoming Akito's girlfriend for a while.
- Tsundere: Though more subtle about it than Sana.
Naozumi Kamurathe localization of her 'secret' moles and confesses to Sana that they also share a bond and that he quite likes her. In reality, both of them first met when they were babies since both of them coincided in the same Orphanage.He admired her and looked at her, and became inspired to follow her path as well: acting. And suddenly realized that that bond was in there for both of them being together. But Sana, oblivious to his feelings, just sees him as a friend and as a brother of sorts. He has an undying loyalty to Sana, to the extremes of warning Akito of taking care of her too much to not let her happen something bad.As an actor, he travels too much, so it's not surprising he left the country to advance in his career... however, as proved in the follow-up to Deep Clear, Misty Blue, Shuri Ohkawa finds this now adult Naozumi pretty interesting but confusing because his devoted love for Sana hasn't dissapeared for so many years, to the point of not falling in love with another girl again because of her.
- Better as Friends: With Sana.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Akito's Veronica for Sana's Archie.
- But Not Too Foreign
- Chick Magnet
- Childhood Friend Romance: He grew up in the same orphanage Sana was once in though, as Sana was there for a very brief period of time, they never met in the orphanage. They start dating after the story arc in New York but he breaks up with her a few episodes late, because he realizes that she still has feelings for Hayama.
- Devoted to You: In the special "Misty Blue" one-shot, Shuri (the protagonist of Honey Bitter) finds out that Naozumi (even after a decade since he confessed his love to her) is still too devoted to Sana. His relationship with a man is the only way he could feel "happy" in a romantic relationship... because if he fell in love with another girl, he wouldn't stop remembering his feelings towards her.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Towards Sana.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady
- Innocent Blue Eyes: A painfully, beautiful blue.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy
- Nice Guy: He really cared about Sana. Quite a lot, actually.
- Parental Abandonment
- Romantic False Lead
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Savvy Guy to Sana's Energetic Girl.
- Spear Counterpart: To Sana. He's a popular male child actor and was raised in the same orphanage like Sana.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Purple Hair.
Voiced by: Hana Kino (JP), Colleen Clinkenbeard (EN)She's Sana's adoptive mother. A famous novel's author whose live was quite an interesting one (she got married at 18 years old, divorced just two years after) that she covered in a some of her books and essays ('The Pimp and I' is basically the story of her and her gambler ex-husband).She tries to enjoy her life to the maximum (given her weird antics) after receiving the news that she couldn't conceive any children (and again, it was one of the reasons she got divorced too). One day, suddenly taking a walk, she found baby Sana abandoned in a park....Maro-chan, her squirrel, lives in her hair. She also likes to make misserable her editor due to not giving her works at the due date.
- Brainy Brunette
- Cloudcuckoolander: Even more than Sana!
- Drives Like Crazy
- Head Pet: Maro-chan, the squirrel who lives on her head.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: She's absolutely bonkers, but she's also probably both the wisest and the most Genre Savvy character on the series.
- Butt Monkey: Especially, upped to the max in the anime. For example, when Sana gets her First Kiss with Akito, Rei gets trapped in the middle of a traffic accident which was probably the result of her reaction towards that kiss.
- Cool Shades: To hide his lovely eyes.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: When it comes to Asako.
- Drives Like Crazy: This only applied to the anime series, though. He seems to be the opposite in the manga.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Sana, he is like 10 years older than her.
- I Owe You My Life: After the full twists of bad luck that Rei had after the breakup with Asako, Sana appeared in his life. She 'saved' him from being a hobo, and later, undoubtly wanted to work for her own sake.
- Large Ham: Mostly in the anime series.
- The Men in Black: Subverted since Rei is a big softy. The glasses are worn at Sana's behest because she thinks his "beautiful eyes" should remain hidden.
- Nice Guy: Behind these glasses, there's a really kind heart.
- Overprotective Dad: After Sana stopped seeing Rei as her boyfriend, he starts acting like a dad for her. To the extreme of being a bit overprotective to her.
- Papa Wolf: Towards Sana.
- Undying Loyalty: To Sana.
Voiced by: Tomoko Hikita (Japanese), Chris Cason (English)A rare creature mixed from a rabbit and a bat (hence its name, Babbit) is quite the narrator and Fourth-Wall Observer of the anime series, quite being ignored by the characters themselves (and sometimes, they do realize it is there, for their annoyance...).Babbit is in sorts the mascot of the series given his anime-in-universe presence and in real world's items especially the toys.
- Canon Foreigner
- Deadpan Snarker
- Greek Chorus
- Plucky Comic Relief: One word...hilarious!
- Talking Animal
- Big Sister Bully: Initially.
- Brainy Brunette
- Broken Bird: She treated Akito like crap because of the deep emotional scars left by Koharu's death.
- Cool Big Sis: After the Hayama family's problems are partially resolved by Sana and they start to emotionally heal.
- Freudian Excuse: When her mother died giving birth to Akito made her very resentful to her brother, calling him a "demon".
- Heel–Face Turn: After watching Sana's movie that resembled her life, Natsumi realizes her wrongdoings and redeems herself.
- Maternal Death? Blame the Child: The reason why she treats Akito like crap, it wasn't until the mentioned Heel–Face Turn above when the two finally reconciled.
- Missing Mom: Unlike Akito, she actually met and remembers her mother.
- Theme Naming: As with the rest of the Hayama family, seasons. Natsu: Summer.
Voiced by: Takashi Matsuyama (Japanese), Randy Tallman (English)
- Bumbling Dad: A rare dramatic example. Akito's issues steam from Fuyuki's inability to raise him as a single parent without blaming him for the death of his wife Koharu.
- Cloudcuckoolander: In the anime... hoo boy.
- The Comically Serious
- Doting Parent: Once the family issues subside, it's evident that he's immensely proud of his children and even tries to pamper them a bit (One of the few things Akito likes is sushi, so Fuyuki brings takeaway every now and then)
- Dull Surprise: Dull everything more like.
- Everybody Calls Him Barkeep: "Hayama-chichi" (Daddy Hayama)
- Japanese Delinquents: He, when he was young, to everyone's surprise.
- Overprotective Dad: After the family issues are solved.
- Papa Wolf: A bit on the "passive" side, but sometimes surfaces.
- Shared Family Quirks: Both he and his son are serious, polite, silent and kind-hearted, but with a violent streak when angry. Of course, the main difference is that Akito is angry all the time, while his father is (almost) never angry.
- Theme Naming: As with the rest of the Hayama family, seasons. Fuyu: Winter.
Voiced by: Omi Minami (Japanese), Amber Cotton (English)