open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Akame ga Kill!: Tatsumi manages to get on his team's good side by being nice to them all the time. His care for them is also why they all like them, including all his female teammates.
- Hanaukyō Maid Tai: Head security maid Konoe Tsurugi is normally very strict and shows no positive emotions. However, when she's in the presence of the puppy Fenris (and in private) she melts and becomes more pleasant because he's so cute.
- K-On!: Mugi's cakes and other sweets. Puts everyone in a good mood.
- In the first season, Azusa quickly realizes that every finds her wearing cat ears adorable, which leads to her putting them on in the hopes of calming the tension when Mio and Ritsu start fighting. It works, possibly because they felt sorry for pushing her to do it. In the OVA it prompts an Everybody Laughs Ending when she forgets she's wearing them, and nobody told her.
- in One Piece, this happens to Gin when Sanji gives him food for free so he doesn't starve to death.
- Similarly with Sanji himself, who is quite a jerk to most other guys, but if they are hungry, he will gladly make them some food, and he will even prepare special food for them if they are picky eaters. This is due to an incident in his past that taught him not to underestimate starvation, so he'll give food to anyone no matter if he likes them or not (but if he doesn't like them, he'll beat them up afterwards).
- In the children's book Black and Blue Magic Harry Marco is given a Magical Elixer which gives him wings. He uses a neighbor's carriage house to take off and land from. He discovers later on that the wife has seen him and, thinking he is a "vision" of an angel, takes it as a sign to amend her shrewish ways.
- In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Fluffy the three-headed dog calms down and fall asleep when he hears music.
- Played for Laughs in Monday Begins on Saturday where the extremely quarrelsome old woman Naina Kievna (strongly implied to be none other than Baba Yaga) turns into the kindest grandmother when Privalov semi-accidentally makes a sound that is probably best described as "dental click".
- A Brother's Price has Princess Trini who is rude to the protagonist at first, but turns out to be very altruistic when she thinks he is in danger.
Live Action TV
- My Name Is Earl: In the Backstory to "Made a Woman Think I was God", Earl made a woman think he was God by speaking to her through her radio, which made her a much nicer person and she became a nun. When he 'fesses up, Hilarity Ensues.
- On Scrubs, Dr. Kelso has one "good" day (following the only time per year he and his wife have a romantic evening together) where he's actually in a good mood. Everyone takes advantage of this to ask him to sign off on things (like hospital equipment). It turns out invoked this trope; he isn't really any happier on that day, but he pretends to be so people will only bother him once a year.
- On Cutthroat Kitchen, several competitors have won by invoking Antonia Lofaso's Kindness Button, namely making creative or nostalgic use of processed ingredients.
- The Paragon choices from Mass Effect are literal kindness buttons you can select in order to instigate the kindness within others.
- Jack is an Ax-Crazy convict who tries to push everyone else away, refusing to connect with others out of fear of being betrayed again by people she once trusted. However, should Shepard choose to provide her emotional support, help her demolish her formers prison, and allow her to let her inner pain out, then she will begin growing fond of Shepard. Depending on the choices you make, possibly in more ways than one.
- Garrus, a Troubled, but Cute soldier who's dealt with tragedy after tragedy in his life gains Undying Loyalty to Commander Shepard if the player chooses to accept his friendship. Again depending on how you play, it can progress much deeper than that if you play as a male or female.
- The Walking Dead: Lee can get on Kenny's good side if you promise Undying Loyalty to him. It pays off in Season 2 since he adopts Lee's surrogate daughter Clementine after Lee's unfortunate death, promising to raise her in the zombie apocalypse.
- Apollo Justice: Ema Skye is normally a grumpy person, especially when Klavier is around. But ask her for help doing scientific investigation and her perky personality from her youth shows up.
- Invoked in one arc of Something*Positive: in order to keep Pee-Jee from doing something stupid (start beating the crap out of her boss' shallow, racist girlfriend), random pictures of cats are regularly sent to her mobile just before she snaps.
- In The Fairly Oddparents episode, "Tiny Timmy", when Timmy visits Vicky's brain, he finds out her emotions are controlled by little people in chairs. One in particular who represented her kindness never showed up for work, so he turns it on himself, suddenly making Vicky a kind and caring person.
- In Family Guy, what made Peter to easily earn the love of his kids again after telling them that he hates being around them is buying them an Xbox.
- In an episode of The Simpsons, Lisa discovers a pheremone she dubs "poindextrose" which is given off by nerds, triggering bullies to bully them. Lisa uses a spray of salad dressing to block the bully's scent receptors, rendering the bully unbullying. (The latter would be this trope.)