Ed: Double-Dee's got a plan, Eddy!
: But that's my
A main character who, although not an outright villain, constantly uses zany schemes
to get money, become popular, etc., that always blow up at the end. He is often selfish, egotistical, bigoted and aggressive. The other main characters usually disdain him, but still hang out with him for some reason.
The schemer is often popular, despite the fact that any normal person would probably hate the schemer in real life. The audience likes the schemer, but not enough to mind watching his schemes come crashing down. In Animated Shows
, the schemer usually gets the main plot, while in SitComs
he usually gets the B-plot.
Frequently The Chew Toy
. Compare with the more endearing and successful High School Hustler
. This character is an integral part of a Comic Trio
(along with a Dumb Muscle
and Only Sane Man
/No Respect Guy
). Not to be confused with The Chessmaster
, Guile Hero
, Manipulative Bastard
and definitely not the Magnificent Bastard
, since these guys usually succeed.
open/close all folders
Live Action TV
- Holly Harper on Brothers and Sisters. As William Walker's long-time mistress she has a complex relationship with his family, especially when it is believed that her daughter was William's and thus half-sister to the Walker siblings. Her schemes tend to revolve mostly around getting what she felt she was denied having never been William's actual wife (most notably a chunk of his business). Yet at the same time she has a semi-cordial relationship with the Walker's. Because she is more opportunistic then strategic, she does not really qualify as a Manipulative Bitch and a lot of her plans tend to go sour pretty quickly.
- Jamie Lawson on Small Wonder.
- Kenan on Kenan & Kel. Frequently these involved Noodle Implements.
- Edmund Blackadder. "I've got a cunning plan," indeed.
- Robbie Rotten on LazyTown.
- Bobby's Cousin Skeeter.
- Tony on NCIS frequently uses zany schemes to scare, annoy, or pry into the lives of his co-workers. In real life, if someone destroyed your keyboard, got the forensics specialist to look up your boyfriends, went through your desk, pretended to be you to defend himself to a hot chick, or came onto you using a fake online account, you would be very, very annoyed. However, Ziva and McGee just ignore him, or sometimes, gloriously, return the favour.
- Schemer on Shining Time Station.
- Andy on Weeds.
- Deconstructed by The Nostalgia Critic. He will gather his team to help him get power, but instead of telling them why he's so desperate for it (i.e he's utterly miserable with the way his life has gone), he lets them believe he's only doing it for reasons of being a greedy fuckhead.