open/close all folders
Voice Actor: Mako Sakurai
Your typical protagonist - a naive 16 year-old high school girl with a bit of an inferiority complex. Average grades, member of the track team, somewhat shy, neither particularly popular nor disliked by her classmates. Never dated a boy or engaged in any inappropriate behavior in her life. That is, until her sister ropes her into working in her eroge company as their new seiyuu. Reluctant at first, Kanna agrees to give it a try after a little emotional extortion. Much to her shock, she discovers she has a natural talent for erotic voice acting, which is further fueled by her embarrassment, lack of experience and overactive imagination. She resigns herself to pursuing a career in voice acting and always giving her best, no matter how unreasonable her co-workers demands get.
- Covert Pervert: According to her sister. Considering Kanna had no clue about... well, anything, it might have been more a case of Bile Fascination at first, until she discovers her ability to go into eroge-mode, which has slowly been affecting her personality. She doesn't talk about it out of embarrassment, but pretty much everyone at the company knows just how much she's interested in lewd things.
- Dangerous Sixteenth Birthday: Perhaps one of the weirdest examples ever.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Kanna is scolded for not doing this after taking home some examples of eroge... for training purposes, of course. What makes it funny is that she managed to... achieve the same effect without actually involving her hands or any physical stimulation whatsoever.
- Enforced Method Acting: Try as she might, Kanna can't perform ero scenes without being embarrassed into a state of trance. Luckily, her sister knows exactly how to trip her up to get the effect every time.
- Erotic Eating:
- Attempted this during the slurping noises training with various foodstuffs but failed.
- An original scene in the second OVA plays it straight with ice cream.
- While their looks and personalities are a little different, in terms of their situations Kanna can be seen as an expy of Osono, the main character from the first story in Konno Azure's Puberty Crazies. Osono is the only sane man to her two perverted best friends and is often outraged and incredibly embarrassed by the things happening around her. In the end though, she is revealed to be a covert pervert who may enjoy sex even more than her two friends, she just has a lot more common sense and morals. Osono was also the first character that Kanna was able to perfectly synchronize with, which suggests they may be more similar than it first seems.
- Captain Ersatz: She strongly resembles Ayumu Nishizawa and Hisui.
- Freudian Slip:
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Repeatedly denies that there is anything between her and Motoki.
- High-Pressure Emotion: Has this happen with embarrassment fairly often for obvious reasons.
- I Am Not Pretty: Likely due to comparing herself to eroge heroines.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Kanna sometimes lapses into this, since her special skill doesn't go very well with her shy personality, even saying she wants to be "cured" of it in chapter 28.
- Imagine Spot: Gets into these a lot, particularly when acting out an eroge scene. She has one hell of an overactive imagination too.
- Immodest Orgasm: In an industry where this is pretty much the norm, Kanna must be really loud, since everyone present immediately realize she's not just acting. The anime even adds fireworks and heart explosions.
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- The Ingenue: Although this is being peeled off as she learns more about the business, she's still incredibly naive and innocent.
- Instant Cosplay Surprise: When a game is based around certain character types like meidos or mikos, Kanna will be forced to play dress-up with no warning to get into the character. She doesn't dislike it much though.
- Kissing Under the Influence: Under the influence of a hug, to be precise.
- Love Epiphany: After noticing how easy it is to project her own feelings onto her character's situation, Kanna finally makes the shocking (for her at least) realization that she is in love. Of course it has to be at the worst possible time and place.
- Luminescent Blush: It has become pretty much her default expression by now along with Blank White Eyes, seeing as how the universe seems to be conspiring to embarrass her to death. Considering that she really is aroused and really does orgasm when she works, she has a lot to be embarrassed about.
- Mind-Control Eyes: Her eyes get noticeably more cloudy as she slips further into her eroge trance. They go almost completely white when the fictional persona takes over her entirely.
- Ocular Gushers: While playing a heart-wrenching Nakige (crying game). Amusingly enough, just after 15 minutes of playing an Utsuge (depression game), she was already severely annoyed by the doom and gloom of it.
- Panty Shot:
- In chapter 30 she gave one to the staff during recording. If Motoki hadn't stopped her from doing it with him, they would have seen more.
- There's two assisted panty shots in chapter 31 - first Hadzuki flips Kanna's skirt to see what kind of underwear she had on and then she and Kotori both do it in front of Motoki to show off the new string panties they made her buy, promising him more service in the future.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Her plan to not get recognised at Comika is to dress like a maid, let her hair down and slightly change her last name.
- Power Perversion Potential: Kanna's power really doesn't have any other uses.
- Sacred First Kiss: Major source of angst for Kanna, who actually initiated it while in her trance state.
- School Swimsuit: Wears one under her miko outfit. That way she can simulate indecent poses without actually showing anything. And it's not at all a ploy to combine two fetishes while avoid the use of pixellation.
- Shrinking Violet: Oh so much.
- Slave Collar: Not seen it the story yet, but one chapter's cover has her with this along with dog ears and a tail.◊
- Spit Take: All the time, even when she isn't drinking anything.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Her ero-mode is the voice acting equivalent. It allows her to perform in ways she never could otherwise, but it also clouds her judgement, puts her in a hard-to-break trance, and leaves her physically exhausted and incredibly embarrassed when it's over. It is also easy to trigger by the right person, even against her will, and can blur the line between fiction and reality. As of chapter 27 it's even actively taking over her like a split personality.
- Tempting Fate: "It's not like I'll be doing some outrageously strange job, right?"
- Training from Hell: Her training so far includes: dirty talk, watching pornos, playing eroge, simulating fellatio noises by sucking a man's finger, learning to harness the power of her imagination, chocking on milk pudding forced down her throat with a syringe and reading hentai mangas (very meta indeed). If she somehow manages to keep her sanity, she'll no doubt become the greatest eroge seiyuu ever.
- Twice Shy: She and Motoki are this under normal circumstances.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Sometimes someone comments on Kanna's bizarre eroge trance, but most people adjust unusually quickly to the fact that Kanna can make herself orgasm with her imagination alone. Made doubly weird because she does this, more or less, in public.
- Virgin Power: Kanna is a complete virgin who knows little to nothing about sex, let alone eroge. Combined with an incredibly powerful imagination however, she delivers incredibly high-impact performances every single time.
Voice Actor: Akeno Watanabe
Kanna's older sister and founder of the eroge production company Blue March. Started the company after their father's death out of necessity and to ensure Kanna would get a better chance for a good future. Since then she has settled nicely in the role of an eroge director. Can seem somewhat cold and ruthless at times and has little patience for whining. Nevertheless, she cares for her little sister very much, even if her determination to make her into a great seiyuu at all costs makes that hard to see sometimes.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Reveals a couple of choice anecdotes about Kanna to her new co-workers.
- Beat the Curse Out of Him: While she wasn't exactly possessed, at one point Yayoi had to slap Kanna quite hard to snap her out of her ero trance.
- Berserk Button: Mentioning the one and only time Yayoi contributed to a game as a seiyuu provokes an uncharacteristically violent response.
- Big Sister Mentor: She is teaching her sister Kanna important skills for getting along in a job that she seems to increasingly enjoy. Subverted, since the job in question is voice acting in porn, and Kanna is a few years too young for this to be proper or legal, a fact that comes up once in a while.
- Clasp Your Hands If You Deceive: Befitting her Manipulative Bitch tendencies, Yayoi does this at one point.
- Corruption of a Minor: Times three and counting. Even when Played for Laughs it's still very disturbing.
- In Kanna's case she could barely wait for her to turn 16.
- In Hadzuki's and Kotori's cases there really wasn't anything to corrupt, she just gave them the opportunity. Seriously, that kind of enthusiasm for this kind of job is not normal.
- Not So Above It All: As revealed in a flashback, Yayoi used to be just as embarrassed about working on H-Games as Kanna, if not more.
- Parental Substitute: To Kanna, ever since their father died and their mother was forced to take extra work to support them. This contributes to Kanna's decision to help her sister out and become an eroge seiyuu.
- Refuge in Audacity: Keeps a very straight face while suggesting some very questionable methods of educating her little sister, and manages to even muster support from her co-workers. On at least two occasions this involved suggesting that Kanna perform or watch real life sex acts, on or with her co-workers, to be able to act it better. This is a girl who is not even legally old enough to work in the eroge business.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Gets these briefly during moments of smugness or when trying to intimidate someone, usually accompanied by a menacing aura in the latter case.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Unlike Kanna, Yayoi is very self-assertive, calm, manipulative, and always speaks her mind no matter how inappropriate the topic is in that situation.
- Tempting Fate: When Kanna is about to be promoting an eroge on the Comika, Yayoi assures her that she will not be exposed, since the events in which she participates are not open to the public. Well, guess who appeared among the invited exhibitors? Kanna's classmates! To make the matter worse, she also forgot to censor a certain dirty word when singing in front of them (not knowing they were there).
Voice Actor: Ayano Ishikawa
A young pro seiyuu and Blue March's main voice provider before Kanna came along. Agreed to watch over her and teach her everything she could about the business. A kind and supportive mentor, she usually tries to stick up for Kanna when things get too out of hand and graciously accepts the fact that, in many way, she is outclassed by the newbie she is supposed to be training. The one thing she is very self-conscious about is the fact she still hasn't had her first kiss at age 21. Has a cat and dog-like relationship with her perverted superior and former voice acting coach Shigekazu Sakanami.
- Bleached Underpants: In-universe example - Fumika started as an eroge seiyuu, but now her main work is in (non-hentai) anime. She still continues to voice eroge under an assumed name for old time's sake and to show her gratitude to Yayoi for giving her a chance.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Occasionally plays this with Sakanami (Fumika is the Tsukkomi), usually ending with a punch to the face, though Sakanami has actually won an argument at least once using his exceedingly perverted logic.
- Enforced Method Acting: When she has trouble expressing shyness in her performance, the solution proves to be turning the recording desk around so that everyone would see her face while she acted, embarrassing the hell out of her in the process.
- Gag Boobs: While no one doubts that Fumika is well-endowed, the paizuri scene takes it Up to Eleven.
- Luminescent Blush: Quite often when reciting erotic lines.
- Marshmallow Hell: Gives Kanna one when they first meet.
- Only Sane Man: On occasion.
- Quickly Demoted Leader: Starts out as Kanna's mentor figure, but since then has been out-moed by her at every turn, and now seems to be losing her skills and needs further training just to continue being useful to the company. It was actually lampshaded that veteran eroge voice actors tend to get accustomed to what they're doing and lose the effectiveness some innocence and shyness can give to their roles.
- Sempai/Kohai: Sempai to Kanna and kohai to Sakanami.
- Tsundere: Towards Sakanami, though he gives her plenty of reasons to be like that.
- Virgin Power: Though she makes use of it to give a better performance, Fumika is not happy about her lack of hands-on experience.
Voice Actor: Susumu Chiba
The other co-founder of Blue March and the person who first suggested the idea to Yayoi. Grew up with her and has known Kanna since birth, becoming her big brother figure and comforting her after the death of their father. Both of them consider him family, Kanna even referring to him as onii-chan. A fanatic bibliophile ever since he was little, he eventually became obsessed with reading, and later writing, erotica, which led to his involvement in the eroge business as a script writer. Yayoi picked him to be Kanna's initial practice partner, since Kanna has a minor crush on him.
- Author Avatar: Nagatoshi is the resident writer of Blue March. He has little personality and when he's not giving exposition on eroge, he generally spends most of the time off-screen doing research and working on the next script. He also came up with almost the exact same scenario for a game as the actual author's previous work, right down to the heavy emphasis on *ahem* technical virginity.
- Big Brother Instinct: Nagatoshi raised Kanna along with her sister, and that closeness is probably why he was the only person Kanna could properly work with, but as busy as he is, she had to get familiar with Motoki.
- Bookworm: According to Yayoi, he has read over a thousand books since elementary school, until he came across erotic books. From there, he started to write his own erotic books.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Even Yayoi finds him somewhat weird and that is saying something.
- Covert Pervert: Fits this, considering he's been reading and writing porn for years without Kanna finding out.
- Eyes Always Shut
- Only Sane Man: Only in the OVA, where he's this compared to the rest of the Cloudcuckoolander cast for reasons unknown.
- Refuge in Audacity: Much like Yayoi, he has a thing for saying really awkward things without a second thought, like the full lecture he gave Kanna about anal sex with everyone else present. It ends with everyone suspecting he did it with Yayoi.
Hadzuki Nouge & Kotori Makino
Voice Actors: Juri Nagatsuma (Hadzuki) and Maina Shimagata (Kotori)
Kanna's classmates and friends since elementary school - a busty, somewhat airheaded girl from Kyoto and a quiet deadpan loli, who likes video games. Always seen together. Started as Those Two Guys, but got upgraded to full-fledged supporting characters after they discovered Kanna's secret and Yayoi offered them a chance to work as seiyuus on a whim. While they lack Kanna's experience and natural talent, they more than make up for it in sheer enthusiasm.
- Curtains Match the Window: Hadzuki.
- Dull Surprise: Kotori, in every Reaction Shot she's in. Half the time she's even drawn without a mouth.
- Emotionless Girl: Kotori again. The only thing that seems to inspire a reaction from her are games and, by extension, voice acting for games.
- Expies: Their looks and personalities are very similar to the two supporting characters from Konno Azure's Puberty Crazies. Made more obvious after they get involved with Blue March and start acting more like genuine hentai characters.
- First-Name Basis: They start calling Motoki by his first name after it works so well during the second round of the moe attacks.
- Foil: Both of them to Kanna and Motoki. They have no concept of tact and will frequently tease and embarrass them for the hell of it, even more so than Yayoi.
- Gamer Chick: Kotori, but not H-Games... yet anyway. That is to say, she doesn't play them, she just helps make them.
- The Idiot from Osaka: Averted with Hadzuki. She's from Kyoto, and she's far from being an idiot, as she has the second-best grades in class behind Motoki.
- Jumped at the Call: Unlike Kanna, it takes them a grand total of five seconds to accept Yayoi's invitation to become seiyuus.
- Kansai Regional Accent: Hadzuki.
- Little Miss Snarker: Kotori is significantly less developed than her classmates, has a "loli voice" and a tendency to attract special interest groups, much to her annoyance.
- Perpetual Smiler: Though not exactly perpetual, around 90% of the time Hadzuki has a big open-mouth smile on her face, often for no apparent reason.
- The Quiet One: Kotori. As her character profile puts it - "A person of few words that occasionally hit hard."
- The Rivals: They progress several times faster than Kanna with their training, by virtue of having no self-restraint whatsoever. While a lot more well-meaning than most examples, they don't seem to realize they're crushing what little confidence Kanna has mustered. Casually flirting with and sexually harassing her Love Interest doesn't help either. On the flip side it improves Kanna's jealous performance for the next game and forces her to realize her own feelings.
- Sempai/Kohai: Kotori likes to employ this terminology with Motoki, while acting nothing like the archetype would suggest.
- Token Mini-Moe: Kotori is Older Than She Looks, being the same age as Kanna and Hadzuki, but noticably shorter and less curvy. Yayoi quickly notices the potential here since Kotori's voice sounds equally young, which is why her characters also tend to be the younger sort.
Voice Actor: Sayaka Hirao
Another one of Kanna's classmates, though she doesn't know much about him at first. He is actually in a very similar situation, having been recruited in his father's eroge company at an even younger age. He quickly recognises Kanna's voice from the first game she was in and confronts her about it. During a collaboration between the two companies, he is picked to be her practice partner - an arrangement that takes quite a bit of getting used to. Very intelligent, exceedingly polite and knowledgeable about the eroge business. He does everything he can to ease Kanna's embarrassment and help her out in her struggle.
- Captain Ersatz: He resembles Shiki Tohno.
- Cross Dressing Voice
- Forceful Kiss: Becomes the victim of one.
- I Did Mean To Turn You On: The finger sucking and hugging. While the idea is indeed to turn her on, it's only for the purposes of acting you see.
- Nice Guy
- Not So Above It All: Motoki makes the big mistake of actually claiming to be above it all. He has been proved wrong on multiple occasions by several people since.
- Only Sane Man: Not that anybody listens to his protests.
- Secret Keeper: Though every named character is already in on it by now.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Has this reaction to the suggestion that he and Kanna are dating. For added points, Kanna says the exact same thing simultaneously, with a joint Speech Bubble, no less.
- Spit Take: Аll the time, even when he isn't drinking anything.
- The Stoic: Since he was exposed to the eroge industry at a young age, Motoki made it a point to always act as professionally as possible, making him appear dull and reserved to others. Of course, maintaining such a facade is nearly impossible with Kanna and company around.
- Thanks for the Mammary: Happens between him and Kanna in chapter 32. What's worse is that they are both almost naked including the part where Motoki's hand accidentally lands.
- Twice Shy: He and Kanna are this under normal circumstances.
Harie Natsumi, Hirobe Fuyumi, & Yukihira Yokoyama
Voice Actors: Takahiro Mizushima (Yokoyama), Masami Suzuki (Natsumi) and Fumi Morisawa (Fuyumi)
The Blue March trio of artists - Natsumi and Fuyumi are in charge of character designs, while Yokoyama does backgrounds. Natsumi and Fuyumi formed a doujinshi circle while in university and got noticed by Yayoi and Nagatoshi at an event. Yokoyama on the other hand is a classically trained landscape painter, having graduated from an art college and applied for the job not knowing the company produced eroge.
- Author Avatar: Natsumi has shades of this, being the most prominent artist in the story and absolutely obsessed with erotic things, especially when it involves schoolgirls. Also there's her infamous opinion on censorship.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Routinely executed by Natsumi and Fuyumi, including the Paper Fan of Doom.
- Covert Pervert: Fuyumi seems pretty well-adjusted, especially when compared to most of her colleagues, until you learn she has been drawing hentai long before joining Blue March and she was the one who got Natsumi into it.
- A Day in the Limelight: "The Employees of Blue March", focuses primarily on their backstories.
- Deadpan Snarker: Yokoyama
- Fetish: Natsumi has a thing for all things high-school-girlish and feels compelled to grope anyone in sight wearing a Sailor Fuku.
- Meganekko: Fuyumi.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Fuyumi tends to pull one out of nowhere and smack Natsumi upside the head when she gets a little too excited.
- Shipper on Deck: Natsumi probably draws her own doujinshi of Kanna x Motoki in her spare time. Then again she'd likely get turned on by the thought of Kanna x Anyone.
- Shotacon: Fuyumi's favorite genre, though she tries to keep it a secret.
Voice Actor: Masaya Onosaka
A veteran seiyuu with a career in anime. Senior member of Fumika's agency as well as her former teacher. Frequently employed by Blue March because of his experience and talents. Acts incredibly perverted and hammy most of the time. Harasses every pretty girl he meets, except Fumika, because he doesn't find her attractive, or so he claims (he did harassed her when they first met). Hilarity is all but guaranteed to ensue in any scene he's in.
- Bleached Underpants: In-universe example, same as Fumika.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: See Fumika's entry.
- Brutal Honesty: While this can be applied for many of the characters, he has no filter between his brain and mouth whatsoever.
- Catch Phrase: "[Insert something lewd about voice acting] makes my dick hard!"
- Chivalrous Pervert: Considers sexual harassment to be the ultimate compliment, but will never touch a woman unless she wanted him to.Sakanami: I may be a pervert, but I am not a criminal!
- Compensating for Something: His screen name is Umanami, which means "horse-like".
- Dirty Old Man: He's the oldest male character and so far limits his harassment to underage schoolgirls.
- Hot-Blooded: When it comes to perverted things.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Makes fun of Fumika and antagonises her every chance he gets, but is also there for her when she falls on hard times.
- Large Ham
- Punched Across the Room: By Fumika in Episode 2 of the anime.
- Serious Business: Everyone treats eroge voice acting seriously, but Sakanami shows the most passion about it. He gives Hadzuki and Kotori a few pages worth of exposition on fellatio.
Motoki's cousin and childhood friend. Born in a rich family, she transferred from an all-girls school to Motoki's school where Kanna and her friends also study. Quite the eccentric girl, she enters the eroge voice acting business in an effort to get closer to Motoki, whom she has a huge crush on.
A voice actress and Fumika's professional (and romantic) rival. Kagura is often very keen on challenging Fumika for anime roles and Sakanami's affection. She looks down on Fumika's background as an eroge seiyuu.
- A-Cup Angst: She's nowhere near Fumika in terms of horizonal development.
- Always Second Best: Keeps getting beaten by Fumika to the spot for anime roles.
- Child Prodigy: Stated by Sakanami to be a former star child voice actor.
- "Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives one to Fumika after the latter failed to land a role in an anime audition due to nervousness.
- Sempai/Kohai: Refers to Sakanami as Senpai, as both she and Fumika have trained under him.