Character page for the webcomic Ava's Demon
. Beware spoilers!
open/close all folders
Ava hasn't had a very pleasant life considering that she has been possessed by a rather angry demon since birth. Said demon has constantly attempted to either kill, or pressure her into making a "Pact" without any explanation of what it entails. The story begins some time after Ava was separated from her parents and sent to a re-education planet terraformed and run by TITAN Inc.
- Accidental Pervert: Odin swears up and down that Ava is a Covert Pervert. Not helped when she's smelling people, looking up their shirts and her Limbo Lenses can see through their bodies.note
- The Atoner: Considers herself responsible for Maggie's cruelty and as a result refuses to simply leave her to TITAN's followers. She persuades Odin to help her attempt to get Maggie to leave the TITAN base.
- Back from the Dead: Was brought back to life after she finally formed a pact with Wrathia.
- Badass Boast: "I'm Ava. Ava Ire. And I CAN'T die. Got it, pal!?"
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Almost as big as her eyes.
- Emotional Powers: Ava's pact side tends to act up when she is feeling angry or flustered.
- Fangs Are Evil: After drinking the Pact Potion.
- Foil: Maggie is hers, right down to their opposite Color-Coded Characters.
- Friendless Background: Wrathia sabotaged all of Ava's friendships and opportunities to make new ones.
- Healing Factor: After her pact with Wrathia, Ava gains this ability.
- Holy Halo: Twice in the 1/29/2015 update. Of course, with her new horns, it gives some mixed messages.
- Horned Humanoid: After drinking a Pact Potion.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Her desire is to have a new life, without Wrathia messing her up and where people will love her.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Ava's primary motivation for entering the pact.
- Let's Get Dangerous: Ava is quite a different person when using the Pact Potions. Terrifyingly different.
- Loser Protagonist: Ava's one former friend thinks she is crazy and hates her guts now. Because of Wrathia's frequent possessions which get Ava into trouble, she is eventually expelled.
- Luminescent Blush: A rather literal example, complete with actual smoke exhuming from her mouth afterward.
- Magma Cum Laude: She vomits up lava. Thankfully her digestive tract is now strong enough to handle it.
- Meaningful Name: Ire is a synonym for wrath. Plus, her name is two letters away from 'Lava Fire'.
- My Blood Runs Hot: After signing the pact with Wrathia. Discussed unwittingly by Gil here.
- No Social Skills: Blame Wrathia for it. This bites Wrathia in the ass later because it means Ava has no idea how to find or convince Wrathia's followers to join her in her quest against TITAN.
- Older Than They Look: Ava is 15 at the beginning of the story. According to Odin, she looks about 12. Not helped by how short she is in comparison to him.
- Parental Abandonment: Ava has no idea what's happened to her parents, but she knows that TITAN separated them.
- Perverted Sniffing: Playfully gets accused of this by Odin after she apologizes for calling him "smelly" - she thinks he actually smells nice. He seems kinda happy that she likes his scent.
- Playing with Fire: Ava gains this ability after completing the pact with Wrathia.
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: Observe.
- Red-Headed Hero: After making a pact, she gets dark red hair.
- Socially-Awkward Hero: Painfully so. Between Wrathia's possessions and her own bad luck, Ava reacts to social situations and the public like someone approached by the firing squad. When she and Odin are in TITAN's recruitment center, she has a freakout that would have carried over to the physical world had she not been distracted at an opportune moment.
- Took a Level in Badass: Especially when she confronts Wrathia during the Battle in the Center of the Mind.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Downplayed, but Ava is way more confrontational and less quiet after the pact than she was before.
- Treasure Chest Cavity: Doubling as an extra pocket and a portal between the physical world and her mind where Wrathia resides, she gains a drawer in her chest after the pact.
- Tsundere: Especially noticeable around Odin
- With Friends Like These...: With Maggie, but she could have easily been lying to prove her point against Odin.
- Your Size May Vary: Especially when not showing anything beneath her waist.
Another child brought to the re-education planet and one of few children Ava has ever been friends with, although the friendship didn't last long due to Wrathia's tampering. She is odd in her own right and seems to have a few issues about image. She has problems with Odin who she views as a stalker, and is arguably justified in thinking so. She also has an enormous crush on Gil.
- Ax-Crazy: Not completely but she is definitely showing signs of this. In her Dream World. She crushes a fairy with her hand, kills off a number of flowers (they're alive), throws a portrait on the ground... (The first two aren't actually real but still...) She also began to hit and attempted to strangle Ava, believing that she was an illusion made by Tuls.
- Even in the real world, she was going to just let Odin and Ava die when the spaceship crashed.
- Badass: Can stealthily turn her arms into long vines/branches and pick up Odin effortlessly. She then commands him to turn the ship around. When he doesn't follow her orders, she throws him and breaks the control panel.
- Berserk Button: Don't call her ugly, monstrous, or scary, she will take it out on you.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: While they are, for various reasons, hardly innocent, Maggie makes sure to play up Ava and Odin's flaws to Gil and outright lies about her involvement in the ship crashing to insure she stays on his good side.
- Dark Action Girl: While probably not evil, she can be violent and is quite the Jerkass. Maggie once tried to kill both Odin and Ava by attacking Odin and crashing his ship without an ounce of regret. She technically succeeded in Ava's case.
- Dreamworks Face: Yup.
- Elemental Eye Colors: Her green eyes match her plant based powers.
- Emotional Powers: Like Ava, her pact side acts up when she is angry or flustered. As seen here and here
- Foil: According to Word of God, Maggie was designed to be everything Ava isn't.
- Foreshadowing: Maggie is confident she'll survive Odin's ship crashing. She already knew that pact holders are Nigh Invulnerable.
- Glowing Eyes: When Tuls is getting ready to cast his magic.
- Green Thumb: Maggie has shown the ability to convert her arms into surprisingly strong vines/tree branches for combat purposes, an ability she gained after forming a pact with her demon.
- Has a Type: And Odin, she declares, is not it.
- Healing Factor: Openly admits that a spaceship that she's on crashing into the ground of a random planet won't kill her. It doesn't.
"B-before you d-do...an-n-ything rash, I...n-need you to just...h-hear me out..."
A student who attended Ava and Maggie's class and has an odd interest in Maggie. Little is known about Odin aside from the fact that he hails from a different planet than Maggie and Ava. His age was rather nebulous at best, as he is stated to be the same age as the others yet looks far older, but was later revealed to be 18 by Crow and Raven. At the start of the story, Odin tries to convince Maggie to leave the planet with him, and insists that she is in danger from something.
"What kind of doctor would I be if I just left them to die?"
A blue skinned boy from another planet and an aspiring doctor. Close friends with Nevy Nervine and has promised to ask TITAN a very important question on her behalf. He seems to be kind-hearted and perfectly willing to help others at his own expense. Reveres TITAN as a sort of leader/god.
- Back from the Dead: He was dying of acid burns when the followers saved him.
- Berserk Button: He seems to turn a bit... tetchy, whenever someone points out the shaky logic in his religion. He even calls Ava and Odin "heathens."
- Combat Medic: His goal is to become one.
- Freudian Slip: When talking to a "friend" that he knew in school.
It's been such a long time! How long has it been? S-seven, maybe eight years? Y-you look swell!
Er-I mean-you look like you're doing swell!!
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: He says "gosh" and "golly" a lot.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: A Nice Guy with blue eyes who thinks the best of everyone and wants the best for everyone.
- Meaningful Name: His last name, Marverde is made of the Spanish words 'mar', meaning "sea", and verde, meaning "green". The ocean on the planet that he's from is green. Also, his life was defined by something happening to him while he was swimming, which he seems to have enjoyed doing regularly, so his first name takes on obvious meaning.
- The Medic: He wants to join TITAN's army as a doctor and is moderately skilled already.
- Nice Guy: He takes in 3 strangers who crash-landed in his yard and could be criminals for all he knew and nurses them back to health, no questions asked.
- Obliviously Evil: Nice or not, Gil also has a tendency to inadvertently insult those who don't share his faith in TITAN. He calls Maggie "ignorant" for not knowing TITAN's history and when Ava asks if there's a way back from Paradise, Gil dismisses it as "a stupid question." Goes further when Odin and Nevy speculate that TITAN's just using his followers.
- Pretty Boy: Looks like one, and given how Ava and Maggie react to him...
Crow & Raven
Crow and Raven Arrow
Odin's younger twin sisters.
"Without TITAN, life has no meaning. TITAN is the best thing you'll ever have."
A girl from Tuls' past.
"If you hadn't ignored me you would know how important I am to this current universe! I have UNFINISHED FUCKING BUSINESS that will never be taken care of!"
The eponymous Demon herself. Not much can be said about her back-story without spoiling, but suffice to say that she is/was very powerful and considers herself a higher being than others, which may not be so far from the truth. She has been tied to Ava from the day Ava was born and had taken it upon herself to makes her life as miserable as possible with semi-good reasons. Hates TITAN with a passion.
- Battle Couple/Happily Married: With Pedri.
- Black Widow: She's been married before and her current husband Pedri wears the skull of her former husband as a Cool Mask. This has implications.
- Big Red Devil: A feminine example, complete with goat pupils.
- Burning with Anger: Hellish HabaŮero, though she isn't exactly wreathed in flames. Rather, her body becomes so hot that it starts burning her clothes and melting her crown which in the kickstarter book is noted to be made of obsidian.
- Cute Monster Girl: A lot more human-looking than her husband.
- Dare to Be Badass: Says this to Ava on page 1336 while the former is trapped in the Gates of Paradise at TITAN's Headquarters and understandably freaking out. She pops one of the magic potions that she created with the pact book (that are supposed to be so powerful that Wrathia couldn't conceive her needing to use more than one, EVER) into Ava's hand and tells her to go out and kick ass.
- Fangs Are Evil: Great for Cheshire Cat Grins, too.
- Fantastic Racism: Looks down on just about everyone who isn't a member of either her race or empire.
- Foil: The way Wrathia treats Ava is a huge contrast to how Nevy treats Gil.
- The High Queen/God Save Us from the Queen!: Insists she's the former to her empire but given how she behaves in the present, it's hard to believe she wasn't actually the latter.
- Hoist By Her Own Petard: Most of Wrathia's current problems are her own fault. Ava refuses to make the pact until it's absolutely necessary because Wrathia never told explicitly what it was or how it worked. Wrathia also wrecks Ava's interpersonal relationships, meaning Ava has no idea how to convince Wrathia's soldiers to join her. The fact that Wrathia is a Demon at all is also her fault.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Pedri was at least two heads taller than her.
- Jerk Ass: Ruined Ava's life by constantly abusing her.
- Loophole Abuse: Tries to use this to force Ava to fulfill the Pact by pointing out Ava asked for a "new life," not a "different life". Ava will have none of that.
- Meaningful Name: Wrathia Bellarmina.
- Moral Myopia: Good heavens, yes.
- My Death Is Just the Beginning: Tries to enact this against TITAN to ensure that she, Pedri and her strongest warriors have the chance to die free and to acquire reinforcements in the form of Lifeform Hosts. She is pissed when she finds out she is attached to Ava.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Ruining Ava and Maggie's friendship means Ava is isn't very confident about recruiting Maggie, who isn't known for her forgiveness, for the anti-TITAN army.
- Pet the Dog:
- Kinda. She calms down a little after she and Ava make the Pact and when Ava has genuine questions about how to carry out her side of the Pact, Wrathia offers up some sincere wisdom. Of course before giving her advice, she tried to weasel out of giving Ava exactly what she wanted.
- Seemed to sincerely love her husband and unborn child and despite chafing at the idea, considered surrendering to TITAN if it meant he'd leave her subjects alone.
- Playing with Fire: Gave Ava fire based powers after the pact.
- Poor Communication Kills: It somehow never occurred to Wrathia that in order to convince Ava to make a Pact with her that she would have to do more than say "PACT" at her incessantly.
- Rapunzel Hair: Has long hair throughout her life and afterlife, but it's at its longest in her ghost form.
- Dramatic Wind: When in her ghost form, her hair tends to move like it's underwater.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: A red-eyed jerkass with a Hair-Trigger Temper and Moral Myopia.
- Regular Caller: Has been asking Ava to make a pact for a good portion of her life.
- Satanic Archetype: To TITAN's Crystal Dragon Jesus.
- Second Face Smoke: Does said act to Ava during the first meeting in their mind.
- Secondary Character Title: Technically, the title refers to Wrathia, despite not actually referring to her name.
- Smoking Is Cool: Is shown smoking during her reign as queen and in Ava's mind, twice.
"You can't be this nice to strangers, Gil. You're gonna get hurt."
Next to nothing is known about Nevy's past, which is due to her full-blown amnesia. She is bubbly and good friends with Gil, who she wants to keep out of harms way. At times, she seems very possessive of Gil and is prone to being jealous of people he gives attention to. Nevy desires to ask TITAN about her past after she heard that he is omniscient, and desperately wants to learn the truth about herself and who she is.
The demon possessing Maggie. Green, with a thing for plants.
Not much is known about the entity called "TITAN". He was able to conquer Wrathia's empire of multiple galaxies in the span of a day, and his name is always written in caps. Most likely in charge of TITAN Inc., the company which established Ava's re-education planet. TITAN is rumored to be "all-knowing", although this is likely propaganda spread by TITAN Inc. His forces are said to consist of a "massive army of "followers"", but it is unknown if all of them are willing participants in TITAN's galactic conquest.
Strange and violent creatures who attacked and destroyed Ava's home planet. Their race seems to have control of powerful technology, as demonstrated by the robots used to attack Ava's homeworld, and their capability to destroy an entire planet in a relatively short time span. Odin and his brother seem to have some knowledge and possible past experience with these creatures, although to what extent is unknown. Odin was fortuitously warned by his brother about the impending Silent Scavenger invasion, and is able to escape the planet, along with Maggie and Ava. The Silent Scavenger's motives and allegiance are currently unknown, although they did attack a TITAN-made planet, which could be of significance.
"Not everyone is cut out for TITAN's Paradise ...especially those who are lazy."
Loyal follower of TITAN and classroom mate to Gil.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: She worked hard and dreamed of serving in the elites, something that has made her bitter when other less involved followers get chosen instead. She ironically gets her wish when the Gate To Paradise accidentally transforms her instead of Ava.
- Body Horror: Her transformation.
- Death by Irony: The only reason she was in the chamber was to force Ava to stay. The procedure isn't actually what kills her—Ava burns through her to escape. Though admittedly, the degree to which she was alive after that thing was through with her is debatable..
- Hard Work Hardly Works: As seen in Gil's flashback, she put a lot of effort into her TITAN studies and has been working towards being a follower all her life. Thus, she is infuriated when Gil asks her for help or when Ava expresses disinterest and fear at becoming a follower fit for Paradise.
- Human Aliens: Going strictly by her blue skin, body tissues and similarly shaped pupils, she seems to be a similar species to Gil. She also has fangs and cat-like eyes.
- Jerkass: The way she treats Gil during the test and pushing Ava later certainly qualifies.