open/close all folders
Oh Credenza, what have you gotten yourself into this time?A former slave aboard Captain Snow's submarine. She managed to escape and washed ashore Ruin Island, where the Burillas adopted her. She serves as a waitress for their Inn, until she meets Blitz and is intermediately roped along the quest to keep the Raven from being revived.Serves as the unofficial leader in the search for the heirs, having some connection to Dragonfly, and all the charisma necessary to keep the team together. Internally however she's prone to self-loathing and confusion, feeling responsible for many of the terrible things that she's seen throughout her life, notably supposedly abandoning her only friend Uru aboard Snow's sub.
- Animal Motifs: Her soul has dragonfly wings.
- Action Survivor
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Her compassion commands that she must attend to a harmed creature, regardless of the situation. This is what lead to Dragonfly entrusting her with Tin Can Turtle's soul, as well as Blitz's loyalty and Raven's (albeit initially begrudging) respect.Credenza: I wasn't trying to be a hero. I just saw they needed help. How could I turn away from that? I can't just look the other way and pretend there isn't evil at work here.
- Lampshade Hanging: See the above quote, which is what she says to herself when aware that she's about to get herself into a world of trouble by doing good for someone else at no reward, but goes ahead regardless.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: To Blitz.
- Damsel out of Distress: Frequently, she's very capable of holding her own.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her childhood was spent as an abused slave on one of Snow's ships.
- The Hero
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: When she first learns of her Dream Walking ability, starting here.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: If Credenza doesn't smile at least once in a day, something is wrong]
- Magnetic Hero: As Snow notes, Credenza is naturally able to gain the loyalty and friendship of others, which makes her very dangerous.
- Book 10 makes this abundantly clear once The Cavalry arrives.
- Plucky Girl
- "Shut Up" Kiss: To calm down Raven after a particularly crazy journey here
- Strong Family Resemblance: She looks a lot like her parents. Some speculate that Dragonfly and/or Olivia counts as well.
- Team Mom: Especially towards Blitz
- True Companions: She has a knack for collecting friends.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Alice's girly.
- Unskilled, but Strong: While new to using magic, Credenza's magic is openly described as powerful and ancient, frequently.
Look Credenza! I found something shiny!A young man with one eye and amnesia (among other problems) who washed ashore Ruin Island. Initially untamed and untrusting, he eventually calmed down after Credenza befriended him and gave him a name. She quickly discovers that Blitz's amnesia is the result of a fudged possession attempt by an evil Raven spirit. His former self stabbed his eye to stop the Raven from taking control of his body, resulting in his mind being split in two; childish wild Blitz, and cold calculating Raven (see below). Blitz and Raven would eventually become separated, but the damage done to his mind remained.
- A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Read: Vaniji Ralo finds out the hard way.
- Raven then Lampshades how dangerous Blitz's mind can be.
- Amnesiac Dissonance: And how!
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: See his character quote? He says variations on that a lot. Credenza even has to make sure he doesn't accidentally steal anything he takes a fancy to.
- Beware the Nice Ones / Beware the Silly Ones: Make no mistake, you hurt one of Blitz's friends, and he will make you regret it.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He does not need to rely on Raven for everything.
- Eye Scream: Self-inflicted. It resulted in Raven becoming trapped in his body, cut off from the other ravens, and broke Anthony's mind.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Sort of; when Raven is using Blitz's body, Blitz starts floating around his shoulder.
- Hidden Depths: Ooh, boy. See Foreshadowing entry on the main page.
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!
- Loss of Identity: Anthony was much, much more like Raven in personality. That is brooding and rather smart.
- The Lost Lenore: Chesska, Anthony's wife who died after giving birth to their child.
- Manchild: Body of a grown man, mind of a five-year-old-boy. Case in point: Laundry Pants Man.
- Messy Hair
- Only Mostly Dead: In chapter 10, but saved by Snow giving up the mechanical arm thing to him.
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Talkative Loon
For your information, I am a spirit, not a demon.A Raven spirit, one of many. Originally his mission was to inhabit the minds of normal people and influence them into awakening the Great Raven trapped beneath the Archipelago. Unfortunately his last attempt didn't go so well, and he became one of two personalities inhabiting Blitz's body. Originally an enemy bent on killing Credenza, he joined her side after the other Ravens turned on him, seeing him as useless in his current state. After eventually separating from Blitz, he would begin to develop his own physical body.
- Adorkable:"What would you give a female that you wanted to attract?!"Raven: Oh fine, I'd be upset too if I had fluid leaking out of my head.Proceeds to dry Credenza's tears with his sleeves.Credenza: But your sleeves will get dirty !Raven: I'd do anything at this point, just ... please, no more tears.
- Always Save the Girl: When Credenza got lost in Book 5:Raven: Forget the heirs. Forget the Raven. Until we find Crendenza, nothing else matters.
- Ascended Extra: He was originally going to be little more than a recurring Mook who would possess Blitz, until the author pictured him and Credenza talking and it just went from there.
- Berserk Button: Do NOT hurt Credenza. And it's not wise to hurt Blitz, either.
- Blue Oni Red Oni: Despite his flares of temper, he is the voice of reason to Credenza's red tendencies.
- Brought Down to Badass: Eventually, he gains a human body, but loses his raven magic, aside from his wings.
- Character Development: Goes from remorselessly possessing Anthony toRaven: I don't want you to live with a stranger in your head. Again.
- Comically Serious
- The Cynic: At first, everything just seemed to be miserable for him.
- Fake Defector: Turns himself in to the Great Raven's army, gives a pretty convincing speech about the futility of his attempts to be human, and... changes his mind at the last moment. Cue dragonfire.
- Pragmatic Hero: If Snow was an heir, Raven wouldn't mind killing him in hope the next one would be "nicer". Even Credenza thinks this is tempting (but it's Snow we're talking about).
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Sort of; when he is using Blitz's body, Blitz starts floating around his shoulder.
- Grumpy Bear
- Heel–Face Turn
- Home Sweet Home: Here, stopped thanks to a "Shut Up" Kiss from Credenza
- Humanity Ensues: Early on, hid heart is fixed by Credenza, giving him a human soul. Later, he gets a (mostly) human body to go with it.
- Humanity Is Infectious: Cassie at one point notes that Raven curls his fingers the same way Anthony does.
- Knight in Sour Armour: He has a tendency to moan and complain along the way, but ultimately he'll be doing good.
- The Lancer: Credenza's closest ally and a direct contrast to her.
- Lotus-Eater Machine: Towards the climax of the final encounter with Snow, everyone gets trapped in their own dreams. Raven's show him in a mundane but blissful domestic life together with Credenza.
- Luminescent Blush: Ends up having quite of few of these, courtesy of Credenza.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Eventually feels immense shame and regret over breaking Blitz's mind.
- No Social Skills: Justified since having been created a raven about a thousand years back, he is not familiar with humans emotions, way of thinking and many other human things. So he has a hard time understanding his own emotions, to say nothing of other people's ones ...
- Not that he likes it. He thinks that because of it and his past nobody trusts him nor care for him.
- Perpetual Frowner: As stated by the Word of God, "Raven smiles very rarely, not that I havn't tried to make him smile. It's hard to draw him with that expression without it looking... un-Ravenlike."
- Prophetic Fallacy: And he doesn't exactly like it.
- But handles the epiphany that solves it like a pro.
- Sense Freak: After getting a physical body.
- Self-Sacrifice Scheme: He wants to avoid realizing Dragonfly's not so clear but clearly unpleasant prophecy this way. Credenza doesn't approve.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Although the "Evil" goes away pretty quickly. And later, so does the Superpowered part.
- What Is This Feeling?: Having never felt emotion for most of his existence, he isn't sure how to handle them.
- Winged Humanoid: Though the wings are (at first) magical, not physical.Well, one of them becomes physical.
Well, me and Riley are only half were-shark. Thankfully, we tend more toward the human side.A half were-shark from Quillotia. Despite growing up relatively sheltered from the world (and his home's Fantastic Racism towards Sharks), Tuff always had the stigma from his Parent's strange union looming over him. His parent's disappearances finally spurred him to run away from home. He intended to go alone, But Riley followed after him. The two lived a nomadic lifestyle for eight years before meeting Credenza and getting caught up in the search for the Heirs.Serves as a foil to his loud and aggressive brother, and is much more careful in almost everything he does (which sometimes comes back to bite him). After he acquires the Listing of Names he becomes something of The Smart Guy in the team, being the most tactically inclined and leading the way to the heirs using the Book. Upgrades to Genius Bruiser after gaining the ability to transform into a full wereshark.
- Black Eyes of Evil: Subverted, because he's not evil, but having his eyes become fully black is a strong indicator that his shark instincts are getting out of control. Especially when he is later able to turn into a full Were-Shark
- Cannot Spit It Out: is desperately in love with Cassie, but won't tell her because...
- Cannot Talk to Women: Mikel mentions he's shy around pretty girls.
- Half-Human Hybrid: He's part were-shark.
- Genius Bruiser: Particularly after he gains the "gift" of being able to transform into a full wereshark.
- I Am a Monster: Tuff has a hard time accepting his shark side, in particular after the Big Good's gift to him. He gets better eventually.
- In Love with Your Carnage: When a certain blue skinned fish-woman showed she is not defenseless. It runs in the family.
- The Insomniac: Often goes without much sleep due to having a lot on his mind.
- My God, What Have I Done?: reacts badly to having killed some of the ravens the first time he turns into a wereshark, even if they were the bad guys.
- Punny Name: Something Riley managed to escape, somehow.
- Royal Blood: Although due to the prevalence of Fantastic Racism in their home city, neither he nor Riley holds any actual title.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Riley's red. He claims it's given him ulcers.
- The Smart Guy: Particularly after the List names him Reader.
- They Do: In the epilogue, he finally manages to (awkwardly) tell Cassie exactly how he feels.
- Berserk Button: Do NOT harm his girlfriend, do NOT threaten to do so, and avoid hurting the ones he cares about in general.
- Black Eyes of Evil: Like his brother, it's not a sign that he's evil, but having his eyes become fully black is a strong indicator that he's not fully in control of his shark instincts.
- Blood Knight: Likes a good fight.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- BFS: Riley's sword, The Jawbreaker, is so heavy only someone with a (half-)wereshark's strength can even lift it.
- Casanova Wannabe: He gets...excited among pretty young women.
- But this is more of a case of single man seeks good woman
- Half-Human Hybrid: He's a half were-shark, like his brother.
- Body Horror: Let's just say his one attempt at going full were-shark is less awesome, and more sickening (enough so that Snow felt killing him would be merciful).
- Hidden Depths: No pun intended. While he enjoys big cities and traveling, he'd actually love to just settle down on a small island and raise a family with a woman he loves. By the epilogue, he and Alice have been living on Ruin Island.
- In Love with Your Carnage: A lot, since his girlfriend is a Girly Bruiser and he likes fights.
- Love at First Sight: Falls in love with Alice the instant he sees her, spends the day flirting with her and only later learns that not only she is also his destined love, but very important to the quest, as well.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to his brother's blue.
- Royal Blood : Although due to the prevalence of Fantastic Racism in their home city, neither he nor Riley holds any actual title.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Will flirt with Alice on any given occasion, including a battlefield.
- "Shut Up" Kiss: His True Love gives him one.
- The Big Guy
The Raven's Army
- Army of Thieves and Whores: Made up of anyone whose sworn themselves to the Raven, meaning members could range from starving homeless people, to members of the nobility and army.
- And I Must Scream: Soulsealing, what a raven does to a host who has outlived there usefulness. They essentially put the unfortunate host into a coma.
- Deal with the Devil: What ravens offer to potential hosts, be it money, power, or something more esoteric. In return, the host becomes theirs to do with as they wish, and failure is not an option.
- Demonic Possession: Technically, as each of them has a raven inhabiting their mind/soul.
- Red Right Hand: Every servant of the Raven has a left eye that's black with a red pupil.
Captain Adrian Snow
Before I went to sea I was trained in medical college. I'm a doctor. It's my job to heal the sick and tend to the wounded.Captain Adrian Snow, former dread pirate and the captain of the Great Raven's army. He lived a life of violent indulgence and terror before finally dying of a brain tumor... that is until the Great Raven saw him as a worthy vessel, had him revived, gifted him with Olivia's Arm, and sent him to find the Heirs.Sadistic, scheming, prone to violence, and terminally insane (and he knows it). His days of piracy have already made him a skilled leader and killer, but he is just as deadly with words.
Torture is what I do for FUN.
Torture is what I do for FUN.
- Artificial Limbs: Made by Dragonfly, as a part of the mechanism to trap the Raven. Up to Eleven after hijacking parts of Benjamin's ship.
- Combo Platter Powers: The arm is connected to Heirs and their powers, allowing Snow to use weaker versions of them even when he doesn't have that heir's soul. If he has the soul, he can use their full power.
- Dream Weaver: Stealing Paollo's power has turned him into one. He uses this to terrorize the heroes in Book 9.
- Mook Maker: His most frequently seen power, making Golems out of any available material.
- Super Strength / Size Shifter: uses this while holding onto Alice's soul
- Teleporter: like his Mook Maker power above, he gets this from Clair.
- Your Soul Is Mine: His other most frequently used ability.
- Combo Platter Powers: The arm is connected to Heirs and their powers, allowing Snow to use weaker versions of them even when he doesn't have that heir's soul. If he has the soul, he can use their full power.
- A Spot Of Tea: His Trademark Favorite Drink.
- Big Bad: Though he's technically Dragon-in-Chief to the Raven, Snow is the real villain, especially after we learn the Raven has no power in the real world
- Deadly Doctor: Yes, he actually is a doctor. One gone bad.
- Deal with the Devil: His ticket out of death, though neither he nor Great Raven honour the contract to the letter.
- Dragon-in-Chief: To the Great Raven.
- The Dreaded: A name to conjure with. Everyone fears him, for good reason.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He is somewhat protective of his nephew, at least compared to the rest of his crew. See also his wife/widow and daughter.
- Faux Affably Evil: He tries, but his Omnicidal Maniac tendencies tend to get in the way.
- Graceful Loser: Snow tends to take defeats and setbacks in stride (being immortal probably helps). He even laughs when he's finally killed for good, and his final act is to offer his mechanical arm to save Blitz.
- Terms of Endangerment: Prone to calling Credenza or other victims of his 'dear' and the like.
- The Heavy
- Laughing Mad: Pretty much constantly, but probably the biggest example is when he gets stabbed through the heart with a toy sword.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: He was a doctor before he became a pirate.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Admiring the Abomination? Check. Becoming an abomination? Check and (in chapter 10) double check.
- Not So Different: The parallels between him and his favorite victim Credenza are strong, and he brings this up more than once in an attempt to throw her off balance.
Why, Credenza, you're talking as if I'm the crazy one.
- Papa Wolf: He's willing to do anything to protect his wife and daughter even supposedly willing to backstab the Raven.
- Pet the Dog: Shocking as it may be, even Snow seems to be capable of this.
- He doesn't kill Knull despite the later's The Dog Bites Back attempt, even ordering some ravens to take care of him. And remember, this isn't like the past times he's spared Knull because his Anti-Magic made him useful, Knull literally tried to kill him, and Snow still spared him!
- There is no discernible reason why Snow would give Blitz Dragonfly's arm, especially because Snow was the whole reason Blitz was dying in the first place!
- Psychopathic Manchild: Makes himself look as one in the final confrontation with Credenza, probably to mess with her head. She sees through it.
- Self-Made Orphan: Killed his whole family except for nephew Knull wife Naomi and daughter Yula.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Takes pride in his wardrobe. When his leg is crushed and replaced with a robotic limb, his biggest lament is that his boots don't fit properly.
- The Starscream: When he finds out that The Great Raven has actually been reduced to the size of a small bird from his imprisonment and wishes to atone, Snow decides to eat him and gain his powers.
- Torture Technician: Once a doctor of medicine, he now uses the skills he learned to put people back together so he can keep talking them apart.
- White Hair, Black Heart
You accepted the slavery of the Raven because you were scared of death. I accepted because I was afraid to go on living. In exchange for my faithful service, the Raven agreed to take away my fear and sadness. I no longer wanted my life, I had no reason to refuse.
- Anti-Villain: Arguably.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Not very talkative, but her weapons are a bit more... articulate.
- Broken Bird
- Berserk Button: First, she doesn't take well to the Listing of Names refusing to join her side. And second, when she finally finds out the truth behind Corveaux...
- The Dragon: Well, the closest thing Snow allows.
- Driven to Suicide: Plunges off a cliff.
- Taking You with Me: ...dragging Han down with her.
- Emotionless Girl: Part of her deal with the Raven. She keeps her emotions "over there in the corner, where they can't hurt her".
- Foil: Somewhat of one to Raven; by joining the Raven, she lost what he gained by leaving.
- Face–Heel Turn: The former Reader of the Listing of Names.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Learning Han and Corveau are the same person... does not do good things for her sanity.
- Love Makes You Evil: Or possibly just Love Makes You Crazy
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Goes ballistic when she learns of Han's role in her backstory.
- Pet the Dog: To Knull, Lucinda is about the only one of the villains who doesn't treat him like a Butt-Monkey.
- Evil Counterpart: To Tuff. Both are Readers of the Listing of Names, and she hates him for 'stealing' the book from her. Doesn't quite overlap into Rival territory though as they rarely engage in combat.
- Redemption Rejection: Various characters try to offer her redemption and help. Sadly, the Raven makes sure she rebuts the attempts.
- Sorry That I'm Dying: Apologizes to Knull immediately before her suicide.
Oh man, what have I gotten myself into? I don't belong here! I design armor! I'm not a killer like my uncle!
- Animal Motif: Horses
- Anti-Magic: A (very useful) ability of his, implied to be why Snow keeps him around.
- Anti-Villain: He's not happy with this place in the order of things, but can't see how to escape his uncle or the Raven
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Oh yes.
- Empathy Doll Shot: The dream Credenza visits in chapter X appears to be his - there are broken toys around, but they seem to represent people - people most probably killed by dear uncle Adrian (Credenza herself is represented by a rather mangled doll).
- Heel–Face Turn: turns against his uncle and the other Ravens in the end.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: At least compared to most of the rest of Snow's crew.
- Nervous Wreck: Ever since dear uncle Adrian murdered his family, most like.
- Punny Name: Possibly an unintentional example, but his magic revolves around nullifying other magic.
- Reformed, but Rejected: in the epilogue, not helped by his own belief that he deserves rejection.
- Dogs Are Dumb: Not the brightest of Snow's minions by a long shot, sort of makes up for his lack of brains with mindless savagery.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Will eagerly hunt and eat both humans and canines.
- Informed Species: Technically, he's a were-hyena, but is referred to as a were-dog.
- Killed Off for Real: Dies fighting Tatami, who gives him a Neck Snap.
- Speech Impediment: Obtains a thick lisp after his jaw is torn off and replaced.
- Younger Than They Look: Word of God says that he is actually 17, but is aging faster due to spending most of his time in animal form.
Figures. The one time I don't kill a woman in her bed, it only causes trouble.
- Arch-Enemy: To Tuff arguably, considering how many times they've clashed.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Grew up violent and narcissistic in an otherwise peaceful community of Face-Changers, hence why he was ostracized from said community and why he murdered them all in retaliation. (Including his own family. Especially his own family.)
- Dead Person Impersonation / Kill and Replace: Supposedly deserted from the Raven's army, but continued working for them under the guise of Vaniji.
- Dying as Yourself
- Smug Snake
- Stalker with a Crush: Towards Lucinda, as both himself, later as Vaniji, and earlier as Corveau (the man who broke her heart, resulting in her Heel–Face Turn). Lucinda isn't particularly bothered when she finds out about the latter.
- The Starscream: Has attempted to kill Captain Snow once or twice, at The Raven's encouragement. Whether or not The Raven ever intended for Han to succeed is another matter entirely.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Of the Humanshifting variety. Also scenery.
- Spot the Impostor: Tries this against Tuff and Riley; it falls apart when he can't carry Riley's BFS (and because the real Riley's pants were unbuttoned, which Han failed to notice).
- Shapeshifter Guilt Trip: When backed into a corner by Lucinda; he makes himself look like Knull, Miss Tabitha, and Corveau in a desperate attempt at this trope. He ultimately shows Lucinda (but not the reader) his true form before dying.
You didn't think the Raven would leave a job like this to your little band, did you?
- Big Bad Wannabe: Would have preferred himself as the Raven's herald, as opposed to Affably Evil Captain Snow. Snow, on the other hand, sees right through him:...a beggar boy with a loud mouth and no friends who was promised the world in exchange for his soul.
- Exotic Extended Marriage: Has three wives that he won after killing a seagull chieftain. Note, he didn't know about them beforehand.
- Fantastic Racism: Considering he called Kor a dust eater, Steller doesn't seem to like Dustrunner Avians.
- Foreign-Language Tirade: From the moment he's introduced.Haask, vi katap'n plaut su froos! Can't I leave you alone for five minutes without you devouring someone important?
- Know When to Fold 'Em: Decides it's time to turn tail and run when the heroes awaken Benjamin.That's it! I'm as loyal a servant as anyone could ask for! But there is a time to say: 'That's a giant monster. Retreat and try again later.'
Paollo MajestanDescendant of Ausalius "of the all-seeing gaze", heir-apparent of the Eastern Continent.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: His guards are use to him wandering off and getting lost.
- Distressed Dude: Poor guy has been Snow's prisoner for most of the comic.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Often has these.
- Dream Walker
- Like Brother and Sister: He and his guards act like Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling. It is implied this is normal in his family, since he later calls one of his father's guards uncle.
- Nice Guy
Tin Can TurtleDescendant of Little Twin Fish, and the only non-humanoid heir.
- Battle Butler: Old Retainer for Willum's family.
- Blessed with Suck: Regaining his sick, atrophied body.
- Cool Old Guy: The oldest of the current Heirs
- Eye Beams: His primary power, despite being quite blind.
- Handicapped Badass: Being old, blind, partially-deaf and even losing his body doesn't stop him from being a great asset to the team. Heck, if it hadn't been for Knull's Anti-Magic, Tin Can could have probably singlehandedly defeated all of Snow's men.
- Life Will Kill You: By the time of the finale one year later he has died of old age.
Alice PinturDescendant of Grom Pintur, a Quillotian girl with latent Super Strength.
- Action Girl: Combines Super Strength with Nigh Invulnerable, at least against blunt impacts.
- Girly Bruiser: Three times champion of the Quillota women's wrestling federation and bookclub, but quite girly.
- Big Beautiful Woman: The sort of lady for whom "big boned" is an approbation instead of a euphemism.
- Red String of Fate: Dragonfly's gift to Riley (the scent of the woman he would eventually fall in love with), which led him straight to Alice.
- Super Strength: Just the person for smashing golems.
Kor YanderAn Avian actor from Paper Island, illegitimate son of a noble lord, and descendant of Chalchiu.
- Cowardly Lion: His diminutive body hides a big heart. Once he warms up to the idea that he isn't helpless he can handle himself rather well in a fight.
- Friend to All Living Things: Takes care of a large flock of different kinds of birds, along with a jabberwock named Charlie who's actually Uru under a Baleful Polymorph
- Heroic Bastard: Illegitimate scion of a noble line.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor
- Soul Power: His power lets him channel the souls of others.
Clair SolairDescendant of Icarus, and Anthony/Blitz's daughter. The youngest heir, she can teleport and create Improvised Golems.
- Cheerful Child: she's only five and has been mostly unaffected by the tragedies that befell her parents thanks to the constant care of Cassie, her Not-So-Imaginary Friend Benjamin and her other guardians.
- Combat Pragmatist: Escaped Captain Snow by teleporting straight up and wriggling out of his grasp, which dropped him into a well from a great height. Then she ordered some earth golems to jump into the well after him, plugging it with mud to prevent his return.
- Combo Platter Powers: In a world of primarily One Person, One Power, she gets two.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Offspring of a half-dragon and a full dragon.
- Little Miss Badass: She's a little girl with no fighting skills: her badassitude comes from her presence of mind, quick thinking and bravery.
- Teleportation Sickness: Notably exhausted after mass-teleporting herself and three others to safety.
Uru TanA were-whale descended from Lady Itaria, with potent healing powers. Spent some time as a jabberwock.
- Baleful Polymorph: Charlie
- Cast from Hit Points: Sort of. It's his blood that heals people.
- Chekhov M.I.A.: Missing for most of the comic.
- Dramatic Irony: By changing him into a jabberwock, Snow unintentionally helped Uru avoid Raven's notice.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: As Charlie
- Sticky Fingers: He's a thief and a con man left to his own devices. Credenza does what she can to keep him on the straight and narrow.
- The Medic
- Anger Born of Worry: A textbook examplePaolin: Everyone's grounded!
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards his siblings and Credenza.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Sand In My Eyes: Related to the Anger Born of Worry:Paolin: I'm not crying! This is liquid anger leaking out of my eyeballs!
- Gentle Giant
- Real Men Cook: The cook in family inn. His scrambled eggs are so good the first portion is free.
- The Silent Bob
- Shipper on Deck: For Credenza and Uru.
- Adorkable:Jan:So how about that stretcher?
- Cannot Talk to Women: Sweet on Vanesse and adorkably shy about it.
- Everyone Can See It: Credenza, Vanesse, and Paolin can all see it.
- Irony: Is afraid of getting My Sister Is Off-Limits! from Korus and Paolin. Not only are all the Burilia siblings aware of his feelings, Paolin is okay with it, but not until Jan makes the first move.
- The Medic
The Royal GuardZatachi, Tatami, Gozazi, Tusura, Vamuro. Trained as protectors and companions to Prince Paollo, and currently traveling with the heroes.
- The Bus Came Back: Dissapeared from the story after Paollo was taken. Reappeared in Book 7.
- Dead Man's Switch: All of which are linked to each other and Paollo. If anything should happen to any of them (or the prince), the King would know and the entire Eastern Army would come down on the head of those responsible.
- Determinator: Tatami. Not even Vaniji could break him.
- Undying Loyalty: To Paollo.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Nim
- Godzilla Threshold: "I'm unleashing the Wildcard of Roses!"
- Ranger: Protector of the Coin Island.
Nim (The Hunter) Ru
- Action Girl
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Willum.
- Glory Seeker: She really wants to be a monster hunter.
Listing of Names
- With so many souls in its pages, it was bound to develop a personality of its own.
- Paper Master: A sentient book. It comes with the territory.
- Psychic Link: The book's Reader is the only one it allows to understand its pages. Even after Lucinda's Face–Heel Turn (and the selection of a replacement Reader), she and the book were still able to sense each other's presence. Much later, the Listing immediately knows when Lucinda is dead.
- Credenza: It's a long and complicated story, your highness.
Mikel: Well I just happen to ADORE long and complicated stories. Please, just call me Mikel.
- Nice Guy: Despite being royalty, he:
- Has no qualms with "commoners" running around his castle.
- Completely forgoes the fact that Tuff and Riley stole an expensive submarine in favour of being saddened at them disappearing for eight years without a word.
- Playfully swaps Blitz's hat for his own crown, asking him what his first decree will be.
- Panicky Expectant Father
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Joins battle against the Ravens during their attack on Quillotia, only stopping when they take his wife hostage. He also helps clear up the mess in the aftermath.
- Requisite Royal Regalia: His garb is noticeably more elaborate than the already embellished Quillotian attire.
Deliza FandangoMikel's wife and Queen of Quillotia.
- Pregnant Hostage: Provides the page image. Goes into labor immediately after said hostage situation is resolved.
- Women Are Wiser: A good counterpoint to her husband's silliness.
Kroft SkyfrostFaithful servant of the Quillotian royal family. Is a dragon.
Don't listen to your thoughts, they are lying. I am the only one you can trust. Let my will become yours, and everything will be easier.
- A Lighter Shade of Black: Claims to be this, compared to the Raven and his servants. Credenza disagrees.
- Amulet of Dependency: Keeps all of his magic in his cane. Turns out to be a bad idea.
- Heinz Hybrid: More so than any other character - a crossbreed of Human, Avian, Cloven, and Were-cat.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Tries to wipe Blitz's mind, and gets a nasty dose of Dark and Troubled Past for his trouble.
- Hypnotic Eyes
- Killed Off for Real
- Oh, Crap!: Immediately before his cane is destroyed.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Somewhat of a subversion: the "crazy" part doesn't come into play until after Vaniji's control is broken. And it's more of an Empty Shell variety anyway.
- Absent-Minded Professor: Played for Drama, as she's very clearly suffering from dimentia. It also makes her an easy target for Snow.
- Killed Off for Real
- Badass Bookworm: Nice, friendly, likes books and befriends Listing of Names pretty quickly, despite its initial misgivings. Owns a bookshop along with Tuff in the epilogue. But Beware the Nice Ones, if you're, say, trying to hurt Clair.
- Fish People: Not your classic mermaid, though she does have a very elaborate tail.
- Parental Substitute: To Clair, returning the favor for Clair's mother serving the same role to her.
- Shock and Awe: You shouldn't grab her tail. Cassie has, among others, electric eel traits.
Wrist Gorilla Spindle
- Aloof Big Brother: Plays this role for Clair, though Spindle is more frustrated than aloof.
- Berserker Tears
- Disney Death: Is knocked from a tower, but manages to survive.
- Big Good
- Famous Last Words: When the Great Raven has him pinned to a wall, and asks what it was all for. His response?O... Oh... Olivia...
- Humanity Ensues: With a body custom-built by Olivia.
- Sealed Good in a Can: He preserved himself in a tank that kept him alive.
- Killed Off for Real
The Great Raven
I am a great wind, and you are a little candle. And I will extinguish you.
- Animal Motifs: Guess.
- Greater-Scope Villain
- Heel–Face Door-Slam: After so much time spent sealed away, he wants to atone for his actions. But then Snow eats him.
- Leaking Can of Evil: The Raven is sealed away, but can still manipulate his servants.
- Except, as it turns out, he can't. The Great Raven has no connection to the world beyond his prison at all; all of the lesser ravens are simply continuing to obey his last orders.
- Manipulative Bastard
- My God, What Have I Done?: He's had a thousand years to reflect on his wrongdoings.
- Tragic Villain: After being sealed away from everything for a thousand years, he has been reduced to the size of a sparrow, weak and begging for forgiveness for his past actions.
- Villain Override: He breaks his "no possessions" agreement with Snow only once, when he has the chance to kill Dragonfly.