open/close all folders
Oh Credenza, what have you gotten yourself into this time?
- Animal Motifs: Her soul has dragonfly wings.
- Action Survivor
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Her compassion commands that she must attend to a harmed creature, regardless of the situation. This is what lead to Dragonfly entrusting her with Tin Can Turtle's soul, as well as Blitz's loyalty and Raven's (albeit initially begrudging) respect.Credenza: I wasn't trying to be a hero. I just saw they needed help. How could I turn away from that? I can't just look the other way and pretend there isn't evil at work here.
- Lampshade Hanging: See the above quote, which is what she says to herself when aware that she's about to get herself into a world of trouble by doing good for someone else at no reward, but goes ahead regardless.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: To Blitz.
- Damsel out of Distress: Frequently, she's very capable of holding her own.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her childhood was spent as an abused slave on one of Snow's ships.
- The Hero
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: When she first learns of her Dream Walking ability, starting here.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: If Credenza doesn't smile at least once in a day, something is wrong
- Plucky Girl
- "Shut Up" Kiss: To calm down Raven after a particularly crazy journey here
- Strong Family Resemblance: She looks a lot like her parents. Some speculate that Dragonfly and/or Olivia counts as well.
- Team Mom
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Alice's girly.
Look Credenza! I found something shiny!
- A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Read: Vaniji Ralo finds out the hard way.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: See his character quote? He says variations on that a lot.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He does not need to rely on Raven for everything.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Sort of; when Raven is using Blitz's body, Blitz starts floating around his shoulder.
- Hidden Depths: Ooh, boy. See Foreshadowing entry on the main page.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons
- Loss of Identity: Anthony was much, much more like Raven in personality. That is brooding and rather smart.
- The Lost Lenore: Chesska, Anthony's wife who died after giving birth to their child.
- Man Child: Body of a grown man, mind of a five-year-old-boy. Case in point: Laundry Pants Man.
- Messy Hair
- Only Mostly Dead: In chapter 10, but saved by Snow giving up the mechanical arm thing to him.
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Talkative Loon
For your information, I am a spirit, not a demon.
- Adorkable:"What would you give a female that you wanted to attract?!"Raven: Oh fine, I'd be upset too if I had fluid leaking out of my head.Proceeds to dry Credenza's tears with his sleeves.Credenza: But your sleeves will get dirty !Raven: I'd do anything at this point, just ... please, no more tears.
- Always Save the Girl: When Credenza got lost in Book 5:Raven: Forget the heirs. Forget the Raven. Until we find Crendenza, nothing else matters.
- Ascended Extra: He was originally going to be little more than a recurring Mook who would possess Blitz, until the author pictured him and Credenza talking and it just went from there.
- Blue Oni Red Oni: Despite his flares of temper, he is the voice of reason to Credenza's red tendencies.
- Character Development: Goes from remorselessly possessing Anthony toRaven: I don't want you to live with a stranger in your head. Again.
- Comically Serious
- The Cynic: At first, everything just seemed to be miserable for him.
- Fake Defector: Turns himself in to the Great Raven's army, gives a pretty convincing speech about the futility of his attempts to be human, and... changes his mind at the last moment. Cue dragonfire.
- Pragmatic Hero: If Snow was an heir, Raven wouldn't mind killing him in hope the next one would be "nicer". Even Credenza thinks this is tempting (but it's Snow we're talking about).
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Sort of; when he is using Blitz's body, Blitz starts floating around his shoulder.
- Grumpy Bear
- Heel–Face Turn
- Home Sweet Home: Here, stopped thanks to a "Shut Up" Kiss from Credenza
- Humanity Ensues
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Knight in Sour Armour: He has a tendency to moan and complain along the way, but ultimately he'll be doing good.
- The Lancer: Credenza's closest ally and a direct contrast to her.
- No Social Skills: Justified since having been created a raven about a thousand years back, he is not familiar with humans emotions, way of thinking and many other human things. So he has a hard time understanding his own emotions, to say nothing of other people's ones ...
- Not that he likes it. He thinks that because of it and his past nobody trusts him nor care for him.
- Perpetual Frowner: As stated by the Word of God, "Raven smiles very rarely, not that I havn't tried to make him smile. It's hard to draw him with that expression without it looking... un-Ravenlike."
- Prophetic Fallacy: And he doesn't exactly like it.
- But handles the epiphany that solves it like a pro.
- Sense Freak: After getting a physical body.
- Self-Sacrifice Scheme: He wants to avoid realizing Dragonfly's not so clear but clearly unpleasant prophecy this way. Credenza doesn't approve.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Although the "Evil" goes away pretty quickly.
- Winged Humanoid: Though the wings are (at first) magical, not physical.
Well, me and Riley are only half were-shark. Thankfully, we tend more toward the human side.
- Cannot Talk to Women: Mikel mentions he's shy around pretty girls.
- Half-Human Hybrid: He's part were-shark, though his fish form is more Fish People than Great White.
- Genius Bruiser: Particularly after he gains the "gift" of being able to transform into a full wereshark.
- I Am a Monster: Tuff has a hard time accepting his shark side, in particular after the Big Good's gift to him. He gets better eventually.
- In Love with Your Carnage: When a certain blue skinned woman showed she is not defenseless. It runs in the family.
- Punny Name: Something Riley managed to escape, somehow.
- Royal Blood: Although due to the prevalence of Fantastic Racism in their home city, neither he nor Riley holds any actual title.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Riley's red. He claims it's given him ulcers.
- The Smart Guy: Particularly after the List names him Reader.
- Blood Knight: Likes a good fight.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Berserk Button: Do NOT harm his girlfriend, do NOT threaten to do so, and avoid hurting the ones he cares about in general.
- BFS: Riley's sword, The Jawbreaker, is so heavy only someone with a (half-)wereshark's strength can lift it
- Casanova Wannabe: He gets...excited among pretty young women.
- But this is more of a case of single man seeks good woman
- Half-Human Hybrid: He's a half were-shark, like his brother.
- In Love with Your Carnage: A lot, since his girlfriend is a Girly Bruiser and he likes fights.
- Love at First Sight: Falls in love with Alice the instant he sees her, spends the day flirting with her and later learns that not only she is also his destined love, but very important the quest, as well.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to his brother's blue.
- Royal Blood : Although due to the prevalence of Fantastic Racism in their home city, neither he nor Riley holds any actual title.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Will flirt with Alice on any given occasion, including a battlefield.
- "Shut Up" Kiss: His True Love gives him one.
- The Big Guy
The Raven's Army
Captain Adrian Snow
Before I went to sea I was trained in medical college. I'm a doctor. It's my job to heal the sick and tend to the wounded.
Torture is what I do for FUN.
Torture is what I do for FUN.
- Artificial Limbs: Made by Dragonfly, as a part of the mechanism to trap the Raven. Up to Eleven after hijacking parts of Benjamin's ship.
- A Spot Of Tea: His Trademark Favorite Drink.
- Big Bad: Though he's technically Dragon-in-Chief to the Raven, Snow is the real villain, especially after we learn the Raven has no power in the real world
- Deadly Doctor: Yes, he actually is a doctor. One gone bad.
- Deal with the Devil: His ticket out of death, though neither he nor Great Raven honour the contract to the letter.
- Dragon-in-Chief: To the Great Raven.
- The Dreaded: A name to conjure with. Everyone fears him, for good reason.
- Dream Weaver: Stealing Paollo's power has turned him into one. He uses this to terrorize the heroes in Book 9.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He is somewhat protective of his nephew, at least compared to the rest of his crew. See also his wife/widow and daughter.
- Faux Affably Evil: He tries, but his omnicidal tendencies tend to get in the way.
- Graceful Loser: Snow tends to take defeats and setbacks in stride (being immortal probably helps). He even laughs when he's finally killed for good, and his final act is to offer his mechanical arm to save Blitz.
- The Heavy
- Laughing Mad: Pretty much constantly, but probably the biggest example is when he gets stabbed through the heart with a toy sword.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: He was a doctor before he became a pirate.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Admiring the Abomination? Check. Becoming an abomination? Check and (in chapter 10) double check.
- Papa Wolf: He's willing to do anything to protect his wife and daughter even supposedly willing to backstab the Raven.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Makes himself look as one in the final confrontation with Credenza, probably to mess with her head. She sees through it.
- Self-Made Orphan: Killed his whole family except for nephew Knull wife Naomi and daughter Yula.
- Torture Technician: Once a doctor of medicine, he now uses the skills he learned to put people back together to them people apart.
- White Hair, Black Heart
You accepted the slavery of the Raven because you were scared of death. I accepted because I was afraid to go on living. In exchange for my faithful service, the Raven agreed to take away my fear and sadness. I no longer wanted my life, I had no reason to refuse.
- Anti-Villain: Arguably.
- The Dragon: Well, the closest thing Snow allows.
- Driven to Suicide: Plunges off a cliff.
- Taking You with Me: ...dragging Han down with her.
- Emotionless Girl: Justified, as part of her deal with the Raven. She keeps her emotions "over there in the corner, where they can't hurt her".
- Foil: Somewhat of one to Raven; by joining the Raven, she lost what he gained by leaving.
- Face–Heel Turn: The former Reader of the Listing of Names.
- Love Makes You Evil: Or possibly just Love Makes You Crazy
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Goes ballistic when she learns of Han's role in her backstory.
- Sorry That I'm Dying: Apologizes to Knull immediately before her suicide.
Oh man, what have I gotten myself into? I don't belong here! I design armor! I'm not a killer like my uncle!
- Anti-Magic: A (very useful) ability of his, implied to be why Snow keeps him around.
- Anti-Villain: He's not happy with this place in the order of things, but can't see how to escape his uncle or the Raven
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Oh yes.
- Empathy Doll Shot: The dream Credenza visits in chapter X appears to be his - there are broken toys around, but they seem to represent people - people most probably killed by dear uncle Adrian (Credenza herself is represented by a rather mangled doll).
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: At least compared to most of the rest of Snow's crew.
- Nervous Wreck: Ever since dear uncle Adrian murdered his family, most like.
- Punny Name: Possibly an unintentional example, but his magic revolves around nullifying other magic.
- Dogs Are Dumb: Not the brightest of Snow's minions by a long shot, sort of makes up for his lack of brains with mindless savagery.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Will eagerly hunt and eat both humans and canines.
- Informed Species: Technically, he's a were-hyena, but is referred to as a were-dog.
- Killed Off for Real: Dies fighting Tatami.
- Speech Impediment: Obtains a thick lisp after his jaw is torn off and replaced.
- Younger Than They Look: Word of God says that he is actually 17, but is aging faster due to spending most of his time in animal form.
Figures. The one time I don't kill a woman in her bed, it only causes trouble.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Grew up violent and narcissistic in an otherwise peaceful community of Face-Changers, hence why he was ostracized from said community and why he murdered them all in retaliation. (Including his own family. Especially his own family.)
- Dead Person Impersonation / Kill and Replace: Supposedly deserted from the Raven's army, but continued working for them under the guise of Vaniji.
- Dying as Yourself
- Smug Snake
- Stalker with a Crush: Towards Lucinda, as both himself, later as Vaniji, and earlier as Corveau (the man who broke her heart, resulting in her Heel–Face Turn). Lucinda isn't particularly bothered when she finds out about the latter.
- The Starscream: Has attempted to kill Captain Snow once or twice, at The Raven's encouragement. Whether or not The Raven ever intended for Han to succeed is another matter entirely.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Of the Humanshifting variety. Also scenery.
- Spot the Impostor: Tries this against Tuff and Riley; it falls apart when he can't carry Riley's BFS (and because the real Riley's pants were unbuttoned, which Han failed to notice).
- Shapeshifter Guilt Trip: When backed into a corner by Lucinda; he makes himself look like Knull, Miss Tabitha, and Corveau in a desperate attempt at this trope. He ultimately shows Lucinda (but not the reader) his true form before dying.
You didn't think the Raven would leave a job like this to your little band, did you?
- Big Bad Wannabe: Would have preferred himself as the Raven's herald, as opposed to Affably Evil Captain Snow. Snow, on the other hand, sees right through him:...a beggar boy with a loud mouth and no friends who was promised the world in exchange for his soul.
- Exotic Extended Marriage: Has three wives that he won after killing a seagull chieftain.
- Foreign Language Tirade: From the moment he's introduced.Haask, vi katap'n plaut su froos! Can't I leave you alone for five minutes without you devouring someone important?
- Know When to Fold 'Em:That's it! I'm as loyal a servant as anyone could ask for! But there is a time to say: 'That's a giant monster. Retreat and try again later.'
Paollo MajestanDescendant of Ausalius "of the all-seeing gaze", heir-apparent of the Eastern Continent.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Dream Walker
- Distressed Dude: Poor guy has been Snow's prisoner for most of the comic.
Tin Can TurtleDescendant of Little Twin Fish, and the only non-humanoid heir.
- Battle Butler: Old Retainer for Willum's family.
- Blessed with Suck: Regaining his sick, atrophied body.
- Eye Beams: His primary power, despite being quite blind.
- Handicapped Badass: Being old, blind, partially-deaf and even losing his body doesn't stop him from being a great asset to the team.
Alice PinturDescendant of Grom Pintur, a Quillotian girl with latent Super Strength.
- Action Girl: Combines Super Strength with Nigh Invulnerable, at least against blunt impacts.
- Girly Bruiser: Three times champion in a national wrestling competition, but quite girly.
- Big Beautiful Woman: The sort of lady for whom "big boned" is an approbation instead of a euphemism.
- Red String of Fate: Dragonfly's gift to Riley (the scent of the woman he would eventually fall in love with), which led him straight to Alice.
- Super Strength: Just the person for smashing golems.
Kor YanderAn Avian actor from Paper Island, illegitimate son of a noble lord, and descendant of Chalchiu.
- Cowardly Lion: His diminutive body hides a big heart. Once he warms up to the idea that he isn't helpless he can handle himself rather well in a fight.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Has the ability to channel souls, which first manifests itself when he summons an army of bird souls to fight Captain Snow.
- Heroic Bastard: Illegitimate scion of a noble line.
Clair SolairDescendant of Icarus, and Anthony/Blitz's daughter. The youngest heir, she can teleport and create Improvised Golems.
- Combat Pragmatist: Escaped Captain Snow by teleporting straight up, wriggling out of his grasp, and dropping him into a well from a great height. Then she ordered some earth golems to jump into the well after him, plugging it with mud to prevent his return.
- Combo Platter Powers: In a world of primarily One Person, One Power, she gets two.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Offspring of a half-dragon and a full dragon.
- Little Miss Badass: She's a little girl with no fighting skills: her badassitude comes from her presence of mind, quick thinking and bravery.
- Teleportation Sickness: Notably exhausted after mass-teleporting herself and three others to safety.
Uru TanA were-whale descended from Lady Itaria, with potent healing powers. Spent some time as a jabberwock.
- Anger Born of Worry: A textbook examplePaolin: Everyone's grounded!
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards his siblings and Credenza.
- Sand In My Eyes: Related to the Anger Born of Worry:Paolin: I'm not crying! This is liquid anger leaking out of my eyeballs!
- Real Men Cook: The cook in family inn. His scrambled eggs are so good the first portion is free.
- The Silent Bob
- Shipper on Deck: For Credenza and Uru.
- Adorkable: So how about that stretcher?
- Cannot Talk to Women: Sweet on Vanesse and adorkably shy about it.
- The Medic
- The Sociopath: Although he comes off as simply aloof and/or depressed at first.
The Royal GuardZatachi, Tatami, Gozazi, Tusura, Vamuro. Trained as protectors and companions to Prince Paollo, and currently traveling with the heroes.
- The Bus Came Back: Dissapeared from the story after Paollo was taken. Reappeared in Book 7.
- Dead Man Switch: All of which are linked to each other and Paollo. If anything should happen to any of them (or the prince), the King would know and the entire Eastern Army would come down on the head of those responsible.
- Determinator: Tatami. Not even Vaniji could break him.
- Undying Loyalty: To Paollo.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Nim
- Godzilla Threshold: "I'm unleashing the Wildcard of Roses!"
- Ranger: Protector of the Coin Island.
Nim (The Hunter) Ru
- Action Girl
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Willum.
- Glory Seeker: She really wants to be a monster hunter.
Listing of Names
- With so many souls in its pages, it was bound to develop a personality of its own.
- Paper Master: A sentient book. It comes with the territory.
- Psychic Link: The book's Reader is the only one it allows to understand its pages. Even after Lucinda's Face–Heel Turn (and the selection of a replacement Reader), she and the book were still able to sense each other's presence. Much later, the Listing immediately knows when Lucinda is dead.
- Credenza: It's a long and complicated story, your highness.
Mikel: Well I just happen to ADORE long and complicated stories. Please, just call me Mikel.
- Nice Guy: Despite being royalty, he:
- Has no qualms with "commoners" running around his castle.
- Completely forgoes the fact that Tuff and Riley stole an expensive submarine in favour of being saddened at them disappearing for eight years without a word.
- Playfully swaps Blitz's hat for his own crown, asking him what his first decree will be.
- Panicky Expectant Father
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Joins battle against the Ravens during their attack on Quillotia, only stopping when they take his wife hostage. He also helps clear up the mess in the aftermath.
- Requisite Royal Regalia: His garb is noticeably more elaborate than the already embellished Quillotian attire.
Deliza FandangoMikel's wife and Queen of Quillotia.
- Pregnant Hostage: Provides the page image. Goes into labor immediately after said hostage situation is resolved.
- Women Are Wiser: A good counterpoint to her husband's silliness.
Kroft SkyfrostFaithful servant of the Quillotian royal family. Is a dragon.
Don't listen to your thoughts, they are lying. I am the only one you can trust. Let my will become yours, and everything will be easier.
- A Lighter Shade of Black: Claims to be this, compared to the Raven and his servants. Credenza disagrees.
- Amulet of Dependency: Keeps all of his magic in his cane. Turns out to be a bad idea.
- Heinz Hybrid: More so than any other character - a crossbreed of Human, Avian, Cloven, and Were-cat.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Tries to wipe Blitz's mind, and gets a nasty dose of Dark and Troubled Past for his trouble.
- Killed Off for Real
- Mind-Control Eyes
- Oh Crap!: Immediately before his cane is destroyed.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Somewhat of a subversion: the "crazy" part doesn't come into play until after Vaniji's control is broken. And it's more of an Empty Shell variety anyway.
- Absent-Minded Professor: Played for Drama, as she's very clearly suffering from dimentia. It also makes her an easy target for Snow.
- Killed Off for Real
- Badass Bookworm: Nice, friendly, likes books and befriends Listing of Names pretty quickly, despite its initial misgivings. Owns a bookshop along with Tuff in the epilogue. But Beware the Nice Ones, if you're, say, trying to hurt Clair.
- Fish People: Not your classic mermaid, though she does have a very elaborate tail.
- Parental Substitute: To Clair, returning the favor for Clair's mother serving the same role to her.
- Shock and Awe: You shouldn't grab her tail. Cassie has, among others, electric eel traits.
Wrist Gorilla Spindle
- Aloof Big Brother: Plays this role for Clair, though Spindle is more frustrated than aloof.
- Big Good
- Famous Last Words: When the Great Raven has him pinned to a wall, and asks what it was all for. His response?O... Oh... Olivia...
- Humanity Ensues: With a body custom-built by Olivia.
- Sealed Good in a Can: He preserved himself in a tank that kept him alive.
- Killed Off for Real
The Great Raven
I am a great wind, and you are a little candle. And I will extinguish you.
- Leaking Can of Evil: The Raven is sealed away, but can still manipulate his servants.
- Except, as it turns out, he can't. The Great Raven has no connection to the world beyond his prison at all; all of the lesser ravens are simply continuing to obey his last orders.
- Villain Override: He breaks his "no possessions" agreement with Snow only once, when he has the chance to kill Dragonfly.