My Senpai Is Annoying (called Senpai-Kohai Annoying Story in Japanese) is a Slice of Life office comedy webmanga by Shiro Manta.
Igarashi Futaba is a hardworking young Office Lady who has an annoying senpai, Takeda.
Won first place at the Tsugi Manga Awards, webmanga category in 2018.
An anime announcement went out in 2021, produced by Dogakobo.
The character page is currently in progress.
My Senpai Is Annoying provides examples of:
- A-Cup Angst: Futaba is very small, to the point she gets regularly mistaken for an elementary schooler. The fact that her best friend outside of work and her closest female colleague are both well endowed annoys her more than a little. When she overhears Takeda saying that she doesn't have breasts, she actually scratches his face bad enough that he needs several bandages.
- Animal Motifs: Cats for Futaba, showing her affectionate yet prickly nature, and bears for Takeda, who is loud and boisterous. Made explicit by the origami animals Kazama gives them.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Or grandparents. Futaba's grandfather starts sharing a story about Futaba wetting the bed before she cuts him off.
- Aside Glance: One scene has Futaba forget to remove her Fake Boobs while on the subway, and of course runs into Takeda and Kazama. Kazama immediately notices the difference, Takeda doesn't, and Kazama's gaze keeps snapping back to Takeda and even the audience with an "are you seeing this" expression. When asking if Takeda noticed anything, Takeda thinks she must have changed her hairstyle.
- Berserk Button: Under no circumstances should anyone make fun of Futaba for having small breasts. Takeda did so, with the result that she suddenly grew Creepy Long Fingers and spoke in the Voice of the Legion.
- Beta Couple: Kazama and Sakurai aren't dating yet, but they are attracted to each other and often hang out outside of work. They both also like shipping Futaba and Takeda.
- Birthday Buddies: Futaba and Takeda find out they share the same birthday and buy each other a bouquet of tulips.
- The Cat Came Back: Kabukichi, a beetle Futaba and Takeda find in a park, which keeps following Futaba no matter how hard she and Takeda try to return it to nature. Eventually, she decides to just keep it as a pet.
- The Chikan: Takeda catches one filming up Futaba's skirt on a train. He judo-throws the man to the ground, which ends up on social media.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Sakurai is quite aware that Kazama has a habit of Male Gaze. She loves to tease him when he does it to her, but is quick to scold his behavior when she catches him looking at other women the same way.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Each character has their own color motif. Futaba is green, Takeda is purple, Sakurai is pink, Kazama is blue, and Natsumi is yellow. The black-and-white panels add a splash of color to each character like Futabas hair, Takeda and Kazamas ties, Sakurais lanyard, and Natsumis jewelry, shell and eyes. Futaba and Takeda invert their color motifs with their smartphones: Futaba has a purple phone while Takeda has a green one.
- Cool Big Sis: Natsumi acts like this towards Futaba, despite them being the same age.
- Sakurai is this to her little brother, Yuuto.
- Cool Old Guy: Futaba's grandfather, an old biker who goes Overprotective Dad upon seeing Takeda (although he has problems with which stories are appropriate to share with her coworkers).
- Cute Little Fangs: Futaba is often drawn with one.
- Facepalm: Kazama and other male colleagues often use variations on this when confronted with Takeda's sheer ignorance of Futaba's feelings.
- Fake Boobs: Futaba slips a couple of animal head plushies down her shirt to see what she'd look like with bigger breasts. Then she forgets to remove them, runs into Kazama and Takeda on the train home... and while Kazama instantly notices, Takeda is his usual oblivious self, resulting in Kazama's head snapping back and forth as he contemplates the density of Takeda's skull.
- Funny Background Event: As Futaba and Sakurai are talking about the problems of D-Cup Distress, the computer screen behind them just happens to have as its wallpaper an image of the Earth and the Sun, drawn to scale.
- Gentle Giant: Takeda is like a giant oak tree: looming and intimidating at a distant, but up close a warm and nurturing shelter against the harsh winds and rains of life.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Futaba's bed is covered in plush animals.
- A Glitch in the Matrix: During Futaba's dream at the beginning of chapter 90, the fact that it is a dream, and specifically Futaba's dream, is hinted at by the fact that she has breasts during it.
- Heroic Build: Takeda and Futaba's grandfather have the physique of Olympian gods.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: The reason Kazama hasn't advanced his relationship with Sakurai is because he believes she could easily find a better guy. He does not realize his personality and looks are the exact combination she desires most.
- Hint Dropping: Sakurai has made it clear on multiple occasions that she would love Kazama to make their relationship more intimate. He soon becomes aware of this, but cannot muster the courage to make that leap.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl; As seen above, Futaba is about half as big as Takeda, which only encourages people to think they're father and daughter. A partial Gender Flip of this dynamic is seen with Sakurai's little brother Yuuto and Natsumi, but the height difference is justified because Yuuto's a middle schooler.
- In Vino Veritas: In an early chapter, Futaba and Takeda are drinking at a pub together. Takeda jokes about wanting to have a daughter like her if he were married. Futaba, in a drunken haze, asks why she couldnt be the wife in the scenario.
- Japanese Honorifics:
- Shortly after starting, Futaba gets annoyed when Sakurai calls her "Igarashi-chan," protesting that she's an adult, whereupon Sakurai switches to calling her "Futaba-chan."
- Futaba uses "-san" on most of her senior colleagues, but uses "-sempai" on Takeda. She considers switching to "-san" for him, but can't.
- Large Ham: Futaba's grandfather doesn't have the same social inhibitors as everyone else.
- Ma'am Shock: Inverted. Futaba actually loves it when a boy calls her "ma'am," since by doing so, he's acknowledging her as an adult.
- Male Gaze: Kazama is clearly a believer that Buxom Is Better and scenes of him gazing at endowed women are frequent.
- The Napoleon: Futaba. She's very sensitive about her small body and childish appearance, and struggles to be taken seriously.
- Nice Girl / Nice Guy: Why Futaba and Takeda get along so well despite their wildly different personalities. Both of them regularly go out of their way to help people at work.
- Oblivious to Love: Takeda either sees Futaba as a kid or a coworker but certainly not a romantic partner. Every other male in the office can only stare when he makes a comment that proves how completely unaware he is to Futaba's crush.
- Odd Friendship: The friendship between Futaba and Takeda. He's big, boisterous, and loud, she's tiny, sarcastic, and prickly.
- Older Than They Look: Futaba is in her twenties, but hasn't grown since primary school, which ends around age 12 in Japan, and a flashback shows that she was already shorter than average back then.
- One Degree of Separation: Futaba, Natsumi, and Takeda all coincidentally meet Sakurai's little brother Yuuto in various places before they ever find out he's related to her.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Due to their color motifs, Sakurai is the pink girl to Kazamas blue boy.
- Rated M for Manly: Takeda. He's very big and well muscled from doing judo.
- Sempai/Kohai: Futaba is the kohai to most of the other named characters at the office, most notably Takeda.
- Shipper on Deck: Everyone in the office wants to see Futaba and Takeda end up together... even if Futaba refuses to acknowledge it and the hints fly way over Takeda's head.
- Sleep Cute: Futaba falls asleep on Takeda on the train.
- Spit Take: Futaba and Takeda do a dual one. Futaba offers Takeda a cup of coffee at work, but Takeda had one that was loaded with sugar and Futaba had the bitter one. Upon realizing this, they both spit out their coffee in each others faces.
- The Stoic: Kazama's face is almost always completely deadpan, to the point that Futaba is extremely startled to see him smile (his face is off screen, so we don't even get to see it), and Takeda thinks she is lying when she tells him about it.
- One of Natsumi's favorite pastimes is shipping her friend with her coworker, such as arranging for Takeda and Futaba to run into each other and fleeing the scene (she tends to grow devil horns and a spiked tail when doing this). She also loves teasing Sakurai's little brother Yuuto, which Futaba gets angry at her for because he's just a child.
- Futaba herself gets in on it when she and Kazama are eavesdropping on Takeda and Sakurai, with Takeda (of all people) commenting that Kazama is attracted to Sakurai, causing him to blush and hide his face.
- Tsundere: Futaba has some traits of this, having an obvious crush on Takeda that she refuses to acknowledge.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: The relationship between Kazama and Sakurai is built on this. Sakurai is clearly ready to go all the way, but is patiently waiting for Kazama to make his move.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Kazama, of all people, is terrified of bugs, to the point of fainting when Futaba brings a beetle over in an attempt to scare Sakurai.
- Wrong Assumption: When Futaba first met Natsumi back in middle school, she assumed that by following Natsumi, who was wearing the same uniform, she'd find the way to school. Unfortunately, Natsumi planned on cutting class, and Futaba, who only realized this upon arriving at the arcade, ended up being late.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Futaba has dark green hair with matching green eyes. As of now, shes the only character with oddly colored hair while the rest of the main cast has black.