Jagaaaaaan is a Supernatural Action-Horror Seinen manga written by Kaneshiro Muneyuki which utilizes Body Horror in the spirit of Tokyo Gore Police combined with an unique artstyle, provided by Nishida Kensuke.
Shintarou Jagasaki, who is a neighborhood police officer, lives with his girlfriend while working a job that is killing him slowly with annoyance. It looks like he will end up marrying soon and live a boring life with a nuclear family - a grim future for a guy with dreams! One such day, a mysterious monster appeared on the train and he suddenly can shoot with his right hand like Master Buppanatsu, the eggplant mascot of his city!
However, trouble piles up at the horizon as he discovers how the monster on the train wasn't the only one loose in the city...
This article Needs Wiki Magic Love.
Tropes this Manga include:
- A-Cup Angst: Bell gets insecure when she notices that Yumama has huge breasts.
- Adorkable: Once her feelings for Jagasaki become apparent, Bell begins sporting an almost permanent Luminescent Blush around him and she ends up being hilariously adorable whenever she confesses her feelings for him in her usual blunt ways.Bell: I want your genes.
- Back from the Dead: Doku-chan reveals that once Jagasaki has killed all Fractured Humans, his next objective is to blow his own brains out to take care of his own Fractured self. Once that's done with, Doku-chan will obtain the power to resurrect a single life. Jagasaki insists not to revive him, but instead to revive his fiance, whom he killed to defend himself.
- Body Horror: The Fractured Humans are not a pretty sight when they manifest their minds and emotions through their bodies, warping them into nightmarish shapes in the progress.
- Boss Subtitles: Every single Fractured Human gets one upon their introduction, stating their mindset, occupation and finally, their names.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Nakadai is a seemingly half-witted fellow officer of Jagasaki and Bell's with a constant stupid grin on his face. It later turns out that not only is he a member of S.K.A.T. with the fractured human ability of invisibility, but he's a top undercover agent who sussed out Jagasaki for S.K.A.T. to begin with. His personality doesn't change following this revelation, so it makes him this.
- But Not Too Foreign: Clarabelle "Bell" Kawamoto is half-Japanese, half-American.
- Central Theme: Humans, and their relationship with their inner desires. People often suppress their desires for the sake of saving face, and more often than not this leads to more harm than good.
- Character Development: Jagasaki starts off the series completely loathing the mundanity of his life, constantly dreaming about Going Postal and shooting up basically everyone he sees—including his fiance, whom he considers as more or less an annoyance. But when he becomes a Fractured Human and is forced to kill his fiance when she turns into one as well, he turns around and devotes the rest of his days to atoning for his actions.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Robahata does not react well when he watches Karen lose her virginity.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Maroha was molested by her father at a young age. She finally got her revenge when she became Fractured and cut off his penis.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Jagasaki's fight with the fully fractured Hakuto consists of building up power into two round balls behind his gun arm, while Yumama, an attractive woman, helps him handle his gun warns him to not fire prematurely.
- Fair Cop: Bell is a police officer and very sexy. Jagasaki sure is lucky.
- Famous Last Words:
- "Those who cannot move must not be allowed to live." Killbelow, moments before Jagasaki shoots him.
- "You're sweet...Shintarou...I'm sorry. I made you...put on fake smiles...I'm sorry..." Yuriko, as she delivers her final words in its fractured, decapitated, state before dying.
- Fanservice: There is a lot of female nudity in this series. Then again, it is seinen (young men) manga.
- The First Cut Is the Deepest: Robahata fell in love with Karen, but some misunderstandings about their relationship and seeing her having sex with someone who hurt her feelings drives him over the edge. Even as he becomes a serial rapist who brainwashes girls into being addicted to having sex with him, it's clear that he's still extremely hurt by Karen's seeming betrayal. In his last moments, he comes to realize that he still loves her deeply and dies wanting to reunite with her.
- Going Postal: Jagasaki dreams of doing this because of how utterly boring he feels his life as a police officer is. But when he becomes a Fractured Human, he gets a full taste of what his wish entails.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: Robahata frequently monologues about how he is a lonely loser who has accepted that he will die alone, compounded more by his peeping tom hobby of setting up cameras in girls' homes to watch them have sex. In spite of this, his interactions with Jagasaki and Karen make it clear that as self-deprecating as he is, he still ultimately and happily accepts companionship when offered.
- The Lost Lenore: After his girlfriend becomes a fractured human, Jagasaki kills her before she kills him. From then on, Jagasaki's motivation to go along with Doku-chan's plan is to bring her back to life.
- Lovecraftian Superpower: The Fractured Humans are all about this, and so is the protagonist himself, completely by accident.
- Love Confession: Chapter 53 sees Jagasaki and Bell fully admitting to each other that they're in love with them.
- Man, I Feel Like a Woman: Yadori starts touching himself almost immediately after waking up in a female body. He then stops, because he has no idea how to arouse his new body.
- Mass Super-Empowering Event: The whole fractured frog rain phenomenon, but taken to a horrifying extreme in Chapter 40, where Chiharu creates a artificial fractured frog rain-revealing that he's been hoarding the fractured frogs he collects instead of eating them, and releasing the hundreds if not THOUSANDS of fractured frogs over/into the massive crowd gathered to protest the fractured human bill, unleashing completely insane fractured humans, rampaging and murdering throughout the crowd.
- Meganekko: Yumama is a cute woman who wears glasses.
- Monstrous Humanoid: The Fractured Humans and by extent Jagasaki.
- Nightmare Face: The Fractured Humans gains truly horrendous ones once they transforms.
- Nothing Exciting Ever Happens Here: Jagasaki's opinion about his life, much to his dread until ''excitement'' finds its way in his life in the bloodiest way possible.
- Official Couple: Chapter 30 sees Jagasaki accept that he will soon die and makes the best of it by starting a (possibly temporary) relationship with Bell.
- Ominous Owl: Doku-chan, a ball-shaped owl with a pair of pilot glasses, fulfill all requirements as he enters Jagasaki's life and gives him a roundabout briefing about what's going on after his first encounter with a Fractured Human.
- Our Centaurs Are Different: Medetaurus, a bride with a horse's body replacing her lower half, her right arm converted into a lance and her left into a organic crossbow, all crowned with the mother of all slasher smiles on her face.
- The Peeping Tom: Robahata takes this Up to Eleven. He sneaks into houses of cute girls, hiding cameras in their rooms, then he goes home watching the girls the cameras are recording. Thats not all, he gets a little...crazy while watching them.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Bell is half-American, so you can guess what color her hair is.note
- Power-Upgrading Deformation: Being turned into a Fractured Human is anything but pretty, usually ending in a mix of Body Horror and Nausea Fuel in the process, not like they could care any less about it.
- Rain of Something Unusual: The plot kick-starts when all of a sudden Uncanny Valley amphibians starts raining down over the city from a clear sky.
- Refusal of the Call: Jagasaki's freaked-out response to Doku-chan explaining his mission to hunt fractured humans is to shoot the bird in mid-sentence and run home. Unfortunately, The Call Knows Where He Lives.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: As a big-eyed, spherical owl in pilot glasses, Doku-chan is utterly adorable - at least in terms of appearance.
- Seppuku: Hakuto attempted this after witnessing large group of innocent people, who he sworn to protect, turn into fractured humans.
- Sex Slave: Every girl that Robahata brainwashes is used to have sex with him.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: Robahata is a peeping tom who regularly jerks off to people he spies on having sex out of a nihilistic feeling of loneliness. It's only when he comes to sympathize with a girl named Karen that he seems to find purpose in life and he becomes even more happy when he and Karen actually become friends. Then, just as he planned to confess his feelings for her, he is Forced to Watch her have sex with someone who had previously rejected her and his whole world comes crashing down, completing his transformation into a Fractured Human.
- Shout-Out: Robahata's fractured form is essentially a humanoid Xenomorph.
- Stepford Smiler: Jagasaki at the beginning of the manga, frequently getting called out for his fake as hell smile and coping with his life by daydreaming about shooting everyone that annoys him.
- Traitor Shot: Moroha gets really well illustrated one in chapter 37, it really highlights how manipulative she is