Sport climbing is a sport that makes use of both the body and the brain to climb walls. Kasahara Konomi, a master at puzzles, just happens to discover her school's climbing wall, and it looks almost like a colorful sort of puzzle in her eyes. This fateful encounter brings big changes to Konomi's life! With her teammates in the Hanamiya Girls' High School Climbing Club, Konomi races for the top in this passionate climbing story!
Iwakakeru!: Sport Climbing Girls (いわかける！- Sport Climbing Girls) is a sports manga by Ryuudai Ishizaka, which was originally serialized in Cycomi from 2017 to 2019; it was followed by a sequel, Iwa-Kakeru!! Try a new climbing, which ran from 2019 to 2021. The manga received an anime adaptation for the 2020 Fall season.
- Alliterative Name: Konomi Kasahara.
- Amazonian Beauty: Being a series based on intense physical quite a few girls are toned. Jun and Chigusa in particular have well-defined abs.
- Ambiguously Evil: Chinari is very disconcerting to be around what with her smile and predatorial nature. However, when she personally goes to speak to Konomi, she seems to actually want to be civil with her. Though at the same time, she notes about how much of a tasty meal Konomi would make.
- Animal Motifs: Chinari Iwahime is associated with spiders. Even her nickname is "Climbing Spider".
- Audience Surrogate: Konomi serves as this during the first episode, being new to the specifics of sport climbing.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Konomi's skill at games translates very well in analyzing and choosing the best route while climbing. Subverted when she overtaxes this ability in episode 7 of the anime, forcing her to take shortcuts that cost her dearly.
- Bare Your Midriff: The girls wear tank tops that expose their flat stomachs.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing:
- Akane may act friendly and harmless, but she deliberately gave Konomi bad advice that made her botch her first attempt climbing in the preliminaries. She even drops her Verbal Tic when truly angry.
- Anne Kurusu acts nice to her fan club, and even holds an friendly exhibition match between her and Konomi, going as far as to cheer Konomi on... Until the shower, where Anne starts to hit Konomi with the Brutal Honesty that Hanamiya will never win the competition. This causes Konomi to declare that shell beat Anne and win the Combined Japan High School Cup.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Jun is the brunette, Nonoka the redhead and Sayo is the blonde.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: This is Chinari's default expression.
- Chromosome Casting: With the exception of Juzou Gotou and organizer Nakata, the entire cast is female.
- Curtains Match the Windows: Konomi has purple hair and purple eyes. Jun has dark brown hair and eyes of the same color.
- The Determinator: Nijima won't let her constant falls get in the way her morale. She is nicknamed the zombie as a result.
- Gamer Chick: Konomi used to be an incredibly avid gamer in middle school, until she came realized it had affected her performance at school, which is why she avoided games and chose a sport's club when she entered high school.
- Huge Schoolgirl: Height is generally advantageous for sport climbing, so it's no surprise there are tall competitors in the elite ranks. Iwamine in particular towers over most of the rest of the cast.
- Male Gaze: There's occasional camera focus on the girls breasts and butts.
- Passionate Sports Girl: Deconstructed: Jun is so serious about sport climbing, she drove off most applicants for the team until Konomi came along.
- Red Baron: Some climbers have nicknames. Jun is called "Hanamiya Speedster", Chinari is "Climbing Spider", Masumi Fujita is "Black Panther" and so on.
- Senpai/Kōhai: Konomi and Jun are first years while Nonoka and Sayo are second years.