Savaged is a 2013 action-horror film directed by Michael S. Ojeda.
A deaf girl is murdered by rednecks. An Apache spirit possesses her body and hunts them down one by one.
This film contains examples of:
- And I Must Scream: Hoo boy. Zoe is dead, and her soul is trapped inside her decaying corpse with the angry ghost of an Apache war chief.
- Arch-Enemy: Trey is this to Zoe, as the one who raped and murdered her.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Averted. By the end of the movie, Zoe is a rotting, maggot-infested mess barely held together by duct tape and the pissed-off ghost of an Apache chieftain.
- Big Bad: Trey, the primary target of Zoe's wrath.
- Body Horror: Zoe unwraps the crude bandages around her wrists and sees maggots crawling in her rotting flesh. Her horrified screams make it even worse.
- Corrupt Hick: The villains are a bunch of racist rednecks who run Native American people over for fun.
- Empowered Badass Normal: Zoe starts off badass enough to pull her hands out of barb-wire binds. Then she gets possessed by the ghost of an Apache chief, and becomes strong enough to disembowel a man with a broken bottle.
- The Hero Dies: Zoe is burnt to death in a Mercy Kill.
- One-Word Title
- Our Ghosts Are Different: These are spirits who resemble their living forms surrounded by green gas, and interact with the world by possessing dead bodies.
- Our Zombies Are Different: These are revenants resurrected by a spirit to take revenge, and their bodies don't stop rotting.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Trey wants to keep Zoe as a Sex Slave, but kills her because her disappearance will bring extreme heat on him, due to Missing White Woman Syndrome.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: The rednecks are very racist, calling Native Americans "savages" and "gut-eaters" and assuming Zoe is colourblind because she's dating a black man.
- Rape and Revenge: Zoe is raped by Trey and killed by West, gets resurrected with an Apache ghost, and butchers everybody involved.
- Revenant Zombie: Zoe is resurrected by a shaman, who accidentally causes her body to be possessed by ghosts. She's also rotting.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: After being raped and murdered by a gang of racist rednecks, a woman bonds with the ghost of an Apache chief who was killed by the leader's grandfather. Using her newfound knowledge of the chief's brutal war tactics, she guts and scalps her way through the gang.
- Shout-Out: several to The Crow, like the basic premise. There's also the scene where Zoe wraps her forearms and midsection in duct tape in an attempt to fix her wounds. Chief Red Sleeves' war paint also certainly counts.
- Slasher Film: One of the rare slasher films with a sympathetic protagonist, due to the horrible crime committed against her by her victims.