- "The Pit wants what it wants."
Jug Face is a 2013 Horror film starring Lauren Ashley Carter, Sean Bridgers, Sean Young & Larry Fessenden and directed by Chad Crawford Kinkle.
It follows Ada, a teenage girl who lives in a small backwoods community. On the day of her engagement, she learns she is to be sacrificed to a dark god.
This film contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Loriss responds to her refusing to submit to a virginity test by burning her thigh with a cigarette, and then cuts her finger to find out who took said virginity. Sustin is more caring, but still complicit. That is, until she runs off with Dawai, and he whips her so badly she miscarries.
- And This Is for...: Bodey's father lists a victim of the Pit each time he whips Dawai.
- Anti-Villain: Sustin leads the town in its worship of the Pit, but only so the town can have its healing powers.
- Arranged Marriage: Ada's parents engage her to Bodey.
- The Bad Guy Wins: The Pit gets its sacrifice.
- Big Bad: The Pit keeps the town under its thumb, demanding sacrifices.
- BrotherSister Incest: The father of Ada's baby is her brother, Jessaby.
- Crapsack World: The film is set in a small town dominated by a Human Sacrifice cult worshipping an Eldritch Abomination, where the ghosts of any sacrifices the being rejects wander the woods as tormented beings for all eternity. The residents are so brainwashed into this cult that they'll kill their children for it.
- Deadly Euphemism: Being "taken" by the Pit entails death.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Ada gets her thigh burned with a cigarette for not submitting to a virginity test.
- Downer Ending: All of the deaths in the film were for nothing. The town is still in the grip of the Pit, and nobody has managed to escape it.
- Fate Worse than Death: Being shunned by the Pit means you must walk the forest forever.
- The Hero Dies: Ada's throat is slit to sate the Pit's wrath.
- Human Sacrifice: The Jug Faces are the Pit's way of picking a sacrifice.
- Generic Doomsday Villain: The Pit is an Eldritch Abomination who demands sacrifices in return for healing people and kills random people when it doesn't get them. It is rather picky, and will reject victims to be tormented ghosts for all eternity, but no explanation is given as to how it chooses its victims. It's never even really seen, only appearing in POV shots. However, Tropes Are Not Bad, as the film heavily employs Nothing Is Scarier.
- Karma Houdini: The Pit and Loriss
- Kick the Dog: Loriss burning her daughter's legs with a cigarette to make her comply with a virginity test.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Sustin is immediately remorseful after he learns that his whipping Ada caused her to miscarry.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Ghosts here are rejected sacrifices forced to haunt the domain of the god who rejected them.
- Nothing Is Scarier: This film is very atmospheric, and we know barely anything about the Pit. We don't even see it.
- Teen Pregnancy: Ada is impregnated by Jessaby.
- Town with a Dark Secret: The main characters sacrifice people to an Eldritch Abomination for healing powers.
- Wall Bang Her: Jessaby and Ada have sex against a tree.