Voiced by: Hisako Kanemoto (Japanese), Alexis Tipton (English)
Maria is a witch who hates war and keeps interrupting battles around her. This earns her the wrath of Heaven, causing Archangel Michael to decree that if she ever loses her virginity, she will lose her magic.
- Action Girl: Mostly to break up the fights.
- Actual Pacifist: Hates all forms of battle. While her favored strategy is summoning giant monsters in the middle of battlefields to force everyone to retreat, she does order her summons not to kill anybody.
- Badass Adorable: She's very cute.
- Badass Longcoat:
- Badass Pacifist: She hates killing and fighting.
- Celibate Heroine: What she's forced to be if she wants to keep her magic.
- Cute Witch: Also has a bit of Hot Witch going on.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She's a witch that wears black, but is unambiguously heroic.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Heroic BSoD: After her Attempted Rape at Galfa's hands, she is left a crying mess, imprisoned by the church.
- Heroine With Bad Publicity: Is branded as a heretic by the Church.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: She's a heroic witch.
- Loophole Abuse: How she is able to still use her magic. Ezekiel has to see her using magic, so she usually sneaks off, flies ahead of Ezekiel, or one of her familiars covers Ezekiel's eyes.
- Luminescent Blush: Whenever sex is brought up.
- Meaningful Name: She's virgin named Maria, and ends up with a Mystical Pregnancy.
- The Medic: She often makes medicines.
- Mystical Pregnancy: In the end, she is chosen to be Ezekiel's mother when she is born a human.
- Naytheist: She knows that God and angels exist, but has a rather low opinion of them, as she feels that they don't do enough to protect people.
- Neutral Female: Defied by her during the battle between Joseph and Galfa. When she finds the two fighting in a church, she tackles Galfa to the ground. Then later threw his discarded prosthetic arm at his face which helped Joseph to defeat him.
- Older Than They Look: She looks like a teenager, but she was a child alongside Martha, Anne's grandmother.
- Opera Gloves
- Solitary Sorceress
- Sleeps in the Nude: Is always seen sleeping naked. She doesn't even use a blanket to cover herself.
- Summon Magic: Her preferred method of stopping battles.
- Tsundere: Type B towards Joseph
- Unwitting Pawn: Bernard and his nephew try to turn her into this to turn the war in their favor. It does not work the way they expected or wanted it to with Maria eventually shattering Bernard's psyche with an Armor-Piercing Question.
- Virgin Power: If she ever loses her virginity, she'll lose her magic.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Constantly gets called out by others for interfering with and stopping battles between countries during the war as it is the Unforseen Consequence of the soldiers lashing out and abusing their own towns and prolonging the war. The witches eventually warm up to her in the end once Maria sees the error of interfering in every battle she can.
Voiced by: Yoko Hikasa (Japanese), Whitney Rodgers (English)
Maria's first familiar, a succubus.
- Animorphism: She can transform into an owl.
- Ironic Name: A succubus named after a virgin goddess.
- Ms. Fanservice: Artemis wears very little and is extremely attractive.
- Really Gets Around: She's a succubus. It's her job. She really takes delight in rubbing Maria's face in it, too.
Voiced by: Mikako Komatsu (Japanese), Jerry Jewell (English)
Maria's second familiar, an incubus.
- Animorphism: Same as Artemis.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Justified - he doesn't have a penis because Maria doesn't know what they look like. He's not happy about this, especially since he's an incubus.
- Butt-Monkey: If something bad happens, it's him if it isn't Ezekial.
- Censor Steam: Always has this when nude, despite having nothing to censor.
- Ironic Name: Being named after a guy known for the equipment that he lacks.
- Nice Guy: He's one of the kindest, gentlest characters in the series.
Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa (Japanese), Leah Clark (English)
An angel Michael assigns to watch over Maria and keep her from using magic publicly.
- Accidental Misnaming: A Running Gag has Anne constantly calling her "Dovey (Popo-chan)". Her attempts to correct Anne are not successful.
- Animorphism: She transforms into a dove.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Over the series, she becomes nicer to everyone.
- Odd Friendship: She eventually becomes friends with Maria, despite the fact that Maria's a witch and Ezekiel is an angel.
- Unishment: Michael demotes her to a human at the end of the series as a punishment, but she seems fine with this. The only downside is that she has to be reborn, but she seems OK with this and chooses Maria to be her mother.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Light-blue hair.
Voiced by: Kikuko Inoue (Japanese), Caitlin Glass (English)
An archangel who disapproves of Maria's interference in human affairs. He delivers her an ultimatum — if she ever loses her virginity, she loses her magic.
- Archangel Michael
- Blue-and-Orange Morality: Seems to have quite a bit of this.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Everyone he fights is no match for him.
- Hypocrite: Claims that angels are only to observe the world and not interfere in it, but has no problem executing Maria, who is, of course, part of the world.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Calls out Maria on always trying to stop battles but for not thinking ahead on the consequences her interference will have and that her interference only winds up getting others hurt by proxy and will keep prolonging the war.
- Otherworldly and Sexually Ambiguous: Despite being referred to as male and possessing a masculine name, Michael has a somewhat androgynous appearance that leans toward feminine and is voiced by a woman in both the English and Japanese dubs of the anime.
- Sadistic Choice: Inflicts one on Maria, she has to choose her happiness, or helping others.
Voiced by: Kensho Ono (Japanese), Austin Tindle (English)
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Shouts he loves Maria while holding Michael at crossbow point.
- Berserk Button: Don't threaten or harm Maria. Galfa learned this the hard way.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Kindhearted as he is, he won't show mercy to anyone who tries to harms Maria (looking at you, Galfa).
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: He shoots Archangel Michael with an arrow when he sees him threatening Maria. After Michael identifies himself, his only response is to draw another arrow. The tide comes in every time this kid goes to the beach.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Has this reaction when he realizes giving Galfa his artificial arm led to his Attempted Rape of Maria.
- Nice Guy
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Delivers one to Galfa for his Attempted Rape towards Maria.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: He has red hair and green eyes.
Voiced by: Ai Kakuma (Japanese), Lara Woodhull (English)
Voiced by: Mamiko Noto (Japanese), Colleen Clinkenbeard (English)
- Good Bad Girl: She really enjoys sex.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's abrasive at times, but proves to be very kind.
Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai (Japanese), Sonny Strait (English)
- Big Bad: He's the direct threat to Maria, and causes a lot of her problems.
- Heel Realization: After Maria stands up to him, he has this by the end of the series.
- Light Is Not Good: Despite being a bishop, Bernard is Maria's greatest human threat.
- Naytheist: After speaking with an imprisoned Maria, Bernard has an epiphany of some kind. He comes to believe that man no longer needs angels or God and are in fact the true masters of the world. He even goes as far as to attack Michael when he appears in front of him (it doesn't end well).
- No Body Left Behind: After attacking Michael, all that's left of him are his vestments and dust.
- Sinister Minister
Voiced by: Yuki Ono (Japanese), Chris Rager (English)
- Artificial Limbs: After losing the lower half of his left arm to a stray cannon shot, he gets a metal replacement which acts as a weapon.
- Attempted Rape: To Maria. Thankfully, he doesn't completely follow through on it — just enough to make her lose her magic, temporarily.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk
- Pet the Dog: During the end of the series, even with all he has done, it's revealed that he did consider Joseph his friend and resented Maria in part because he felt she had led him astray.