All spoilers for Chairman Victor, Tony Frost, Seno Miyagi, and Progenitor of the Blue's sections are unmarked. You Have Been Warned!
- He Who Fights Monsters: When his B-cells awaken, he becomes a bloodthirsty fighter out to kill the Blue.
- Love Redeems: Marlene manages to snap him out of his temporary insanity.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Yuji was frozen for 20 years.
- Living MacGuffin: As a sample, he is wanted by Second Earth.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: The feminine boy to Marlenes masculine girl.
- Pro-Human Transhuman: Becomes this by end of the series, not only wanting to protect humanity but because he wants to protect the one good thing that came into his life since waking up from his cryo sleep: Marlene.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Though she starts off as cold and disregards human life, she learns to appreciate things a little more thanks to Yuji.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: The masculine girl to Yujis feminine boy.
- Mind Rape: How her higher-ups discipline her; by showing her the brutal deaths of everyone she cares about.
- Ms. Fanservice: Usually the one appearing naked, and easy on the eyes.
- Pregnant Badass: In the (very) early stages during the last two episodes.
- The Smurfette Principle: She's the only woman in her squad at the beginning of the series.
- The Squadette: She is this at the start of the anime. She's not the only woman in the squad, but she's the only one seen piloting an Armor Shrike.
- You Are Number 6: Her code number is 2805.
- A God Am I: He declares that upon wiping out humanity, he will become the worlds Messiah.
- Big Bad: Briefly becomes this when he kills the council, as he takes over the station with the Blue and tries to kill everyone in it.
- Dark Messiah: Begins to think of himself as one as the series goes on and his sanity deteriorates- he declares that he will become Gaias Avenger and save the planet from humanity.
- The Dragon: He becomes one to Gaia later on, leading the Blue attack on Second Earth.
- FaceHeel Turn: After becoming corrupted by his B-cells.
- Kill All Humans: His goal after his FaceHeel Turn.
- Misanthrope Supreme: He hates humans for what they have done to the planet and joins the Blue for the chance to destroy them.
- The Quisling: He joins the Blue and actively seeks to help them destroy humanity.
- The Stoic: Shows no emotion except when hes fighting the Blue.
- Walking Spoiler: His main role of the story pertains to his FaceHeel Turn.
Voiced by: Miwa Yasuda (JP), Liza Ortiz (EN)Another sleeper on Second Earth who is paired with Tony. She immediately gravitates towards Yuji, seeing Marlene as an obstacle to a relationship with him. She is very young and often naive.
Voiced by: Katsunosuke Hori (JP), Kyle Hebert (EN)A high-ranking member of the science division on Second Earth. He suggests that Marlene and Yuji are kept together in order to get the best results from Yuji in the sleeper program. Though he works under the High Council, he doesnt always see eye-to-eye with them.
- Big-Bad Ensemble: With the Blue, who are still at large, for the last few episodes.
- Driven to Suicide: In The Movie, he shoots himself at the end.
- Expy: Of Gendo Ikari in appearance. He also shares Gendos role of working for an Omniscient Council of Vagueness while also plotting to betray them for his own agenda.
- Rebel Leader: The leader of The Ark, the group that resists the High Council.
- The Starscream: Towards the High Council, whom he sees as tyrannical. And he actually succeeds, becoming the final Big Bad aside from the Blue.
- Walking Spoiler: Though appearing to be a Reasonable Authority Figure loyal to the High Council, his true intentions, to overthrow them and keep the humans trapped on Second Earth, make him this.
Voiced by: Eiji Ito (JP), Sean Schemmel (EN)Rick is a military Elite, and although he fights on the Sleeper Brigade, he is not a Sleeper. He is cocky, confident, and loves strong women, especially Marlene.
- Amazon Chaser: The reason he is attracted to Marlene is because of her strong, confident personality, which is a quality he admires in women.
Voiced by: Shunsuke Shima (JP), Bradford Jackson (EN)Doug is the assistant to the High Council and a high-ranking official on Second Earth. He is the Director of the Military Station, and also participates in High Council inquiries.
Voiced by: Chizu Yonemoto (JP), Wendy Powell (EN)One of the officers on board Second Earth, where she usually train the soldiers at Education Station.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: She is authoritarian in terms of drilling her soldiers, to the point of beating recruits as punishment.
- General Ripper: Amick shared the cold ruthlessness of the human military that included avoiding No Man Left Behind. When Marlene disobeyed her order yet managed to reach the time limit while carrying her "wounded" comrade in training, Amick zapped her in order to tow her back into her doctrine.
The High Council
The rulers of Second Earth and the leaders of humanitys war against the Blue.
The man who leads the High Council, he is essentially the supreme authority of Second Earth.
- Big-Bad Ensemble: With the Blue for most of the series, as he leads humanity against them despite being just as malevolent, if not more so, and it is implied that he was involved in the experiments to weaponize them that made them crazy. He ceases to be a major threat once Tony kills him.
- Clasp Your Hands If You Deceive: He likes to do this. Goes well with his Scary Shiny Glasses.
- Expy: Of Gendo Ikari in appearance, as well as sharing the role of fighting against an otherworldly menace while actually being the human Big Bad.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: The representation of this idea- he and his comrades seek to use human technology only for his own benefit, and it is this drive that ruined the planet and summoned the Blue.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Sometimes, as can be seen in the picture. Goes well with his hand clasping.
- Walking Spoiler: Most of the tropes pertain to his malevolent nature.
A member of the High Council, and the only woman.
- High-HeelFace Turn: She is the only one of the five to survive Tonys attack, and the only one to express remorse with what she did.
- The Smurfette Principle: She is the only woman among the five council members.
- Token Good Teammate: She is often seen disagreeing with Victors tyranny, and is the only one to stand up to him.
Giant bug-like creatures that serve as the antagonists of the series.
- Alien Blood: They initially have red blood, but the new breed that shows up towards the end of the series bleed purple.
- Big-Bad Ensemble: They are the main enemies of the series, as they seek to wipe out humanity, but Chairman Victor and his planet-ruining dictatorship are what they are trying to overthrow. After Tonys death, they form one with new leader Seno Miyagi.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: They resemble giant bugs.
- Depopulation Bomb: Gaia created them in part to combat human overpopulation.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: While not exactly evil, it is hinted that they were originally not as aggressive towards humans, but that the experiments by humans to weaponize them turned them against humanity as a whole.
- Final Boss: The Ultimate Blue serves as the last Blue Yuji fights.
- Gaia's Vengeance: The Blue were created by Gaia to destroy the human race.
- Hive Mind: They are all controlled by Gaia.
Progenitor of the Blue
GaiaThe embodiment of the Earth itself which created the Blue.
- Big Good: She is trying to save the planet from human destruction, particularly Victor.
- Genius Loci/Mother Nature: As the embodiment of the will of the planet itself.
- Gaia's Vengeance: The planet isn't too happy with humanitys destruction, and so created the Blue to fight against them.
- Hero Antagonist: She created the Blue to save the planet, rather than out of malice.
- The Extremist Was Right: She created the Blue and caused untold destruction to human civilization... which was killing the planet. The Blue have since restored balance to the world.
- Walking Spoiler: She doesnt actually appear until the last episode, which reveals the truth behind the Blue.